• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how the right leaning UK media is trying to really plaster over the fact that a second referendum won the most votes in parliament.

Or that Brexits that include customs unions etc and things that wouldn't abolish freedom of movement got more votes than shitty crash out plans.

It's pretty fucking indicative tbh.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I like how the right leaning UK media is trying to really plaster over the fact that a second referendum won the most votes in parliament.

Or that Brexits that include customs unions etc and things that wouldn't abolish freedom of movement got more votes than shitty crash out plans.

It's pretty fucking indicative tbh.

You mean Brexit can happen without our racist preconditions? Absurd!

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's hard to say. It's like comparing two sewers. Which would you rather live in? I suppose Trump's sewer is at least still flowing. Brexit is a stoppage that's going to make theirs overflow soon.
It depends if you prefer evil or incompetence.
If it ends in no deal, worse. A lot of people will die. If it ends in revocation, better by a large margin.
The Brexit referendum was always non-binding. Make your own conclusions.
Trump's a shitty president and all, but I don't think the long-term damage he does will be all that severe. Most of his dickheadery is reversible, and probably with relative ease.

Brexit is going to fuck the U.K. forever

Damn. Thanks for your perspectives.

Hoping everything works out

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
These fucking overpaid rich or born wealthy elite MP's and the PM don't seem to understand that their ego and greed for power is going to massively fuck over the a lot of peoples' lives and health on a scale not seen in a long, long time.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
A lot of emotion in this thread,justifiably so with how brexit has been a shitshow so far, but let's get a little context.

Overall, parliament has shown it is for a softer, saner version of brexit. There is now a majority for this. Indeed some of the option got more yeses then may deal had on both occasions it was put to a vote.. From the softer options, it is interesting that Labour's plan and common market 2.0 didn't have a large amount of votes between them. They are technically, as labour themselves have put it, different but are very much the same. Combine the two and you'd have a majority of a soft brexit even the snp can get behind, yes this requires work but lots of furious back channeling will now take place before Monday and if I was Starmer and co, I'd do my best to get a combination of both deals and put it to parliament as one single one later down the line if need be.

The second most common option was the confirmation ref. Add this to the deal I mentioned above and you'd get a solid majority for a solution in the HoC, as this would virtually saitsfy every remainer, moderate, and most leavers across all parties. Even if this option won in a ref, the UK would be leaving the eu but in the softest and least damaging way.

The other thing is how close the CU option was to passing for a majority this time around. This represents, at least compared to mays deal, a substantially softer brexit, this again would satisfy a large number of remainers and leavers. Personally I'd fucking hate to lose freedom of movement but the damage done to the uk would be much less compared to mays deal.

This is just stage one, this was meant to have parliament get it all out so the bullshit amendments ,like the no deal one yet again, let mps vent thier frustrations and act as a filter just so the number of options can be whittled down, at least 4 will probably be removed for next week, which will sharpen mp minds and get them to work together to get solid idea of what they can get around. There was never meant to be a majority at this stage for anything.

Hell, I'm a little shocked on how a second ref was so popular! Clearly their is an appetite for a second ref, which would allow the chance of remaining to be higher and give a chance for the uk to right a wrong, hopefully.

Remember there was a LOT of abstentions today, which did a number on true results.

So sure at a surface level it looks gloomy, but look below that and slowly but surely, some sanity is being restored to the brexit process.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
The other thing is how close the CU option was to passing for a majority this time around. This represents, at least compared to mays deal, a substantially softer brexit, this again would satisfy a large number of remainers and leavers. Personally I'd fucking hate to lose freedom of movement but the damage done to the uk would be much less compared to mays deal.

Let me understand this better: a customs union means no tariffs between the UK and EU, but non-tariff barriers, like differing food safety regulations, are OK, and there is no freedom of movement. Is that right? So, in essence, the UK is trading its right to decide its own foreign economic policy for the right to eat shittier food and keep out immigrants?

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Edit: Oh, I guess EU is only really leaving 3 options. May's deal, no deal, or 2 year extension, and may is leaving after any of those? Sorry this stuff is a little hard to follow.

Last edited:

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
DUP abstaining against the Common Market 2.0 and Customs Union votes has got me raising eyebrows.

I'm not sure what the DUP want. Do they want war again? Settle some old scores with the IRA? Or do they just expect the EU to hand Ireland back to the UK?

I have no fucking clue what in the world could actually satisfy the pea brains.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, uh, I'm not European, so enlight me here, what they gonna do now? I mean...give up Brexit?

As I understand it, Article 50 was invoked, meaning the UK started a two-year timer on negotiations to leave the EU. Once the timer hits zero, unless an agreement is reached, the UK leaves the EU and reverts to default WTO trade rules for interacting with the EU.

The thing is, unless the UK votes to do something, anything, the timer runs out and they "hard Brexit," ie crash out of the EU on WTO rules. To "give up Brexit" they would need to vote to rescind Article 50 -which they just voted against.

They voted against "no deal/hard Brexit" as well, but that's like being on a jury and saying "I won't vote guilty or not guilty, and I won't vote for a hung jury."

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10105983.jpg

Hey Britain, 44 hours until you DIEEEE!

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is actually going better than I expected.

I was sure that at this stage we'd get a live feed to Parliament only to find every MP had got out of the country whilst they still could.

I mean, worked for the pig shagger. And the warmonger.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is actually going better than I expected.

I was sure that at this stage we'd get a live feed to Parliament only to find every MP had got out of the country whilst they still could.

I mean, worked for the pig shagger. And the warmonger.

At the point I feel like most would take the war criminal back over May or PigFucker.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
At this point the Queen or somebody should just fuckin' roll a D20 to see what Britain is going to do next, for all the good Parliament is doing the UK right now.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Can somsone explain why the second referdum vote got so many more overall votes than some of the other options?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can somsone explain why the second referdum vote got so many more overall votes than some of the other options?
What's to explain? They want the voters to make the decision for them since anyone who pulls Article 50 is gonna get murdered electorally and whoever actually picks a Brexit option will be responsible for the fucked up fallout.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's to explain? They want the voters to make the decision for them since anyone who pulls Article 50 is gonna get murdered electorally and whoever actually picks a Brexit option will be responsible for the fucked up fallout.
I think they were asking about why the total number of votes - both for and against - for the second referendum vote was higher than some of the other options put forwards this evening. As in, ideally every option would tally to the same number of votes, but not all options did.

If that was the case AnotherNils, MPs could abstain from voting in these, which many did. The more overall votes, like the second referendum one, is indicative of what they care more about than some of the other options.

Or, as that last sentence seems to give them too much credit, the second referendum vote was more important to them to show off various allegences, which is of course more important than the security of the country.

Last edited:

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah! Delay it until most of the old people died out. Then redo the referendum. That's the plan!

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Slow motion train wreck, you don't want to see it, but you can't look away either.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

The second referendum amendment was complimentary to a lot of the other options, it was saying that any deal agreed in parliament should go back to be confirmed. So we could end up with that + something else.

The best chance of it passing is if May tacks it on to her deal. It would be pretty much guaranteed to get through.

Hardan

Oct 28, 2017
Who in their right mind can at this point vote No against both
- No Deal Brexit
- Ok if we get to the deadline without a deal we prevent No Deal by revoking..

That does not make any logical sense...

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
What an utter sideshow of incompetence.
Hawing the English leave will only be a good thing for the European Federation.

Scotland and North Irland are welcome to stay of course.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I know people are shitting themselves about this all coming back No, but people need to remember this result was expected. This wasn't a vote to find a majority, it was a vote to figure out what could gather enough affirmative votes to find contenders. People will know begin working on the two or three contenders around this, and begin trying to rally and whip for support next week. So the strong near-miss result for a 2nd Ref, for instance, actually pushes us closer to that, not further away.

They are all useless fucks, though.. and ultimately I do think the true end game of this is a general election now. The make-up of the commons can't comfortably break this deadlock, which means the make-up needs to be changed by a GE. I also don't think you can really do a 2nd ref without also doing a GE either shortly before, immediately afterwards or even possibly concurrently.

A lot of Ministers abstained on other options, but voted on that one as it was really the most contentious.

Second vote must be 2/3rds majority to leave... which is what it should have been in the first place

This is the problem though. You can't democratically move the goalposts like this. I strongly advocate for another vote, but I worry about what it will do to the country: if it does return as Remain, people will say that democracy was stolen from them. It's the sort of event that will radicalize people and fuel a further rise in far-right parties and groups, because people with (malicious or misguided) views around Brexit will be driven right having been "betrayed" by the political class. I'd predict a rise in violent protest, in attacks on MPs and Councillors, and so on.

The implications socially for Britain in the event of a 2nd Ref with a remain result honestly frighten me almost as much as No Deal - in some ways more. If you moved the goalposts to stack the deck against leave further the impact would be even worse. Cameron's government made a mistake with the text of its question the first time around, and the country now must deal with that.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
The "what do you even want?" gag from years ago rings even more true now than ever before. Maybe it'd be easier at this point to look for alternatives that haven't been shot down yet, like strapping a bunch of balloons to the soil and Up themselves towards South America. Childish cartoon dreams does not appear to be an issue at least.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This is the problem though. You can't democratically move the goalposts like this. I strongly advocate for another vote, but I worry about what it will do to the country: if it does return as Remain, people will say that democracy was stolen from them. It's the sort of event that will radicalize people and fuel a further rise in far-right parties and groups, because people with (malicious or misguided) views around Brexit will be driven right having been "betrayed" by the political class. I'd predict a rise in violent protest, in attacks on MPs and Councillors, and so on.

The fucking thing was never binding and it's a disaster.

It's a point of no return decision hence 2/3rds required.

The implications socially for Britain in the event of a 2nd Ref with a remain result honestly frighten me almost as much as No Deal - in some ways more. If you moved the goalposts to stack the deck against leave further the impact would be even worse. Cameron's government made a mistake with the text of its question the first time around, and the country now must deal with that.

Prefer to tank your economy and future out of fear.... brilliant

But fine 2/3rds required for immediate no deal Brexit

Only simple majority required for a fully detailed and agreed upon Brexit that isn't a shit show.

If you're the scared of insurrection

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
Trump's a shitty president and all, but I don't think the long-term damage he does will be all that severe. Most of his dickheadery is reversible, and probably with relative ease.

Brexit is going to fuck the U.K. forever
An exampole why this is not true: Trump has assigned a lot of judges who will sit there basically until they retire. And he made sure a lot of them are in their 30s and 40s, so they will sit there for decades. This will fuck over especially POC and other minorities for a long long time.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
The fucking thing was never binding and it's a disaster.

It's a point of no return decision hence 2/3rds required.

Prefer to tank your economy and future out of fear.... brilliant

But fine 2/3rds required for immediate no deal Brexit

Only simple majority required for a fully detailed and agreed upon Brexit that isn't a shit show.

If you're the scared of insurrection

The fact is that should've been the original question on the original paper. It wasn't. A 2nd ref is a difficult enough option to sell without also saying that we're moving the goalposts as well. I wrote to my MP saying a larger majority should've been required at the time, when the format of the question on the paper was being debated in the HOC for months on end - did you? It's too late to do this shit now, realistically, without ugly repercussions (not that Brexit itself isn't ugly). Given the disaster it is clear this is, loads of dead elderly leave voters in the last two years and just as many young people likely to lean remain joining the electorate, Remain should be able to win without resorting to this anyway. I'm more keen to ensure the 2nd Ref happens at all, and if you table is at this sort of question even Remain-leaning Tories will probably turn on it as an option.