• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly I'm here now , sometimes it's hard lessons that get people to learn
Since when have people ever learn shit? If someone is dead set in their opinion very rarely will they admit they were wrong, they'll shift the blame or act like they never held the opinion but they by and large most people don't learn from hardship.

Look at WW2. The still people alive that fought in the war and plenty have parents who were effected. Nazism is back on the rise however. Does that sound like people learnt shit?

Your far more likely to convince someone about something they're neutral or have opinions on one way or another than someone dead set on something regardless of the consequences.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
No for 2 reasons:

1) Nobody can truthfully say that this is what they voted for in 2016. Neither the deal nor crashing without a deal is anything like what was promised by Leave.
2) It's much harder to rejoin after leaving, and the UK will never reclaim the current arrangement it has.

1) Are you saying it was fixed? From what I've read, the public are still more in favour of leave.
2) Why is rejoining a thing? The people want to leave. Give them what they want.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Congrats UK on being the laughing stock of the world. And fighting to the death to preserve it.

As a Canadian myself, Brexit is honestly worse than the Trump Administration. Perhaps the greatest disgrace in modern history.

Your politicians are despicable.

First of all you come off like a smug fucking prick.

With that out of my system what would actually be despicable is allowing Brexit to just happen, allowing the consequences to wreck economic havoc on generations, completely unopposed. That would be madness and what you're witnessing are the contortions necessary in overturning what was a very clear democratic mandate.

Wilson

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats UK on being the laughing stock of the world. And fighting to the death to preserve it.

As a Canadian myself, Brexit is honestly worse than the Trump Administration. Perhaps the greatest disgrace in modern history.

Brexit is a fucking mess but at least we aren't running concentration camps at the border.

Dec 2, 2017

Do you have any self awareness about your own country? People in glass houses and all that.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
well, there is no doubt about the fact that brexit is worse for the uk than Trump is for the US.
The us will maybe vote Trump out and attempt to fix and reverse things, it is still possible.
Brexit if it happens is irreparable damage to the UK, once they are out of the EU they won't come back, and Scotland will probably want out of the union.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
1) Are you saying it was fixed? From what I've read, the public are still more in favour of leave.
2) Why is rejoining a thing? The people want to leave. Give them what they want.
No, all polls on another referendum show a trend towards Remain. All Westminster polls have a larger vote share for Remain/2nd referendum parties.

People who say "just leave", no matter what is on the table, are advocating for irrevocable damage to the poorest people in our country.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
No, all polls on another referendum show a trend towards Remain. All Westminster polls have a larger vote share for Remain/2nd referendum parties.

People who say "just leave", no matter what is on the table, are advocating for irrevocable damage to the poorest people in our country.

So what? We just keep doing this merry-go-round, over & over in the process pissing off our own communities in England, Wales, Scotland & NI, also pissing off all the EU states whilst we try in vain to ... lets be honest, cancel Brexit which itself will cause a shitstorm among all those who voted leave in 2016. It's 2020 in a few month, this charade needs to end. People, including me, are tired of it. The vote was to leave. If people are too stupid to research what that means then thats another matter but unfortuntely this country is full of stupid people.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
So what? We just keep doing this merry-go-round, over & over in the process pissing off our own communities in England, Wales, Scotland & NI, also pissing off all the EU states whilst we try in vain to ... lets be honest, cancel Brexit which itself will cause a shitstorm among all those who voted leave in 2016. It's 2020 in a few month, this charade needs to end. People, including me, are tired of it. The vote was to leave. If people are too stupid to research what that means then thats another matter but unfortuntely this country is full of stupid people.
This is not how we make decisions that will affect our country for generations. Let the Government get their way because we can't agree, the obvious answer is to put it to a public vote. If this is indeed what the majority want it will pass. There is no uniting the country, it is divided and will continue to be divided but it is no good excuse for pushing through extremely damaging legislation. I couldn't give a shit if you are tired of it nor should our MPs.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Well in Canada we are trying to keep our Trump out of office so we might be the butt of jokes Monday night.

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
1)
- That can be easily ascertained with a confirmatory vote, which leave opposes
- Amongst the many flaws of the 2016 ref, was that there wasn't a specified alternative to the status quo to vote on, let alone a viable one.

2) Illustrating the permanent damage of Brexit. Once we leave there's no going back to what we have now. People just don't grasp the severity of this. There's no putting back humpty dumpty together again.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
1)
- That can be easily ascertained with a confirmatory vote, which leave opposes
- Amongst the many flaws of the 2016 ref, was that there wasn't a specified alternative to the status quo to vote on, let alone a viable one.

2) Illustrating the permanent damage of Brexit. Once we leave there's no going back to what we have now. People just don't grasp the severity of this. There's no putting back humpty dumpty together again.

Those are the problems.

So what's your solution?

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
The title is misleading. Parliament voted to an amendment of the bill that the Government was very much against. There was supposed to be a vote on the Johnson deal afterwards.

The meaningful vote for the deal will be on Monday.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is like realizing you made a very stupid decision and are driving straight into the abyss, but instead of just stopping right there and then you go 'well i made a very stupid decision 3 years ago so i guess i have to keep going.'

There should never have been a referendum in the first place, much less so one based on straight up demonstrable lies and racist propaganda. Johnson, Farage and many others should be in jail. And before you invoke the will of the people, all polls now say that the majority wants to remain. So leaving at this point is effectively going against the will of the people.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017

Extremely hyperbolic when you have shit like China and Turkey's genocidal streaks, Israel's cunty behaviour in Palestine, Saudi Arabia's actions in the Middle East and exporting terrorism, etc.
And the Trump administration installed literal concentration camps. Get some perspective.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
This is like realizing you made a very stupid decision and are driving straight into the abyss, but instead of just stopping right there and then you go 'well i made a very stupid decision 3 years ago so i guess i have to keep going.'

Where is my (or anyones for that matter) option to revoke a vote? Maybe if that was an option, like it could be in real life if you quit a job or split with a partner.

There should never have been a referendum in the first place

But there was one and now we're in the aftermath.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I hope you put a towel on in that glass house of yours.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather be in the US than the UK.

Not because Trump isn't a goddamn monster, but because we actually have a couple of completely plausible (though not without risk) paths out of this mess. The UK has no clear path out of this completely self made mess that doesn't bring with it a lot of pain.
I wouldn't. You have cops killing black people all over the place, you have no nhs, big businesses rule your country etc. I say this as a guy that was born in Jamaica than moved to US then UK.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats UK on being the laughing stock of the world.

This whole 'football team' view of national politics is so frustrating. Yes, people from other countries commenting on other nations politics saying it is "embarrassing" or generally passing comparative judgement trying to appear 'better' is at best unhelpful. However, it is worse when adopted in relation to your own nations politics. The goal is to appear progressive/competent/successful/cosmopolitan, rather than having any sort of ideological goal. That's the kind of empty politics that leads to people like Trump, and votes like Brexit.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's good to see all these thoughtful and empathetic posts, certainly no hot takes from uninformed punters

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i've read that boris will not ask for the delay, what will happen? can the parliament ask for the delay?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I gave it as much thought as the British people did when they voted to leave. It's time to send them packing EU.

Oh hey I guess half of the people is now the entirety of the people. Nobody at all was against this huh. You realise this is like me saying 100% of Americans are fine with putting children in internment camps right?

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
The EU should just boot there ass out and stop playing games with these kids.
And then what happens to Ireland? Full member of the EU sharing an open border with the UK. Kick the UK out = no deal brexit and a hard border with customs checks through Ireland with over 200 border crossing points. Do you know the history of Northern Ireland and the Troubles? Have you heard of the Good Friday Agreement, an international agreement that helped bring peace to Ireland? A hard border would tear that up.

Last edited:

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
So, if Boris refuses to adhere to the law, can Parliament force him out?

Parliament can force him out anyway - there's a clear majority for a vote of no confidence in the fucker. The problem is what would happen next - if the opposition couldn't form a government themselves (which would be difficult to negotiate) within a short period of time, it would trigger a general election, which the current government would organise, giving them free reign to set the time after the current Brexit cliff-edge and send us out with no deal.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Is infinite delay the end game here?
UK speaking to the rest of the EU:
1f69bed36a33bd7c98fd4e9fdebf6dcf.gif

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The irony being the DUP switching gears might end up being the thing that finally ends the deadlock. What a sad state of affairs.