• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Not surprising thanks to COVID and next-gen launch

The data shows that all three platform holders had a much better year in 2020 compared with the year prior. Xbox One and Xbox Series consoles combined delivered around 600,000 sales, which is up from 500,000 for Xbox One the year before. PS5 and PS4 together delivered around 900,000 sales, which is up on PS4's 700,000 in 2019. Finally, Nintendo Switch dominated with 1.5 million units sold in 2020, up from nearly one million the year prior.

stats about physical sales

Digital sales split for TOP 20

geCqNrd.png

Last edited:

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
It was a beast of a year though.

Animal Crossing, The Last of Us Part II, Cyberpunk, Doom Eternal, FF7R, Ghost of Tsushima, Fall Guys, Half-Life Alyx, AC Valhalla, Miles Morales, Yakuza, Avengers, etc

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

This is actually lower than I expected. Where were people buying the 29% in stores? Supermarkets?

I guess click and collect could be included.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Wow nice to get so much raw official data. Our estimates of 430k PS5 and 300k XBS were pretty close considering the lack of full info we had.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow nice to get so much raw official data. Our estimates of 430k PS5 and 300k XBS were pretty close considering the lack of full info we had.

Also this

The data shows that all three platform holders had a much better year in 2020 compared with the year prior. Xbox One and Xbox Series consoles combined delivered around 600,000 sales, which is up from 500,000 for Xbox One the year before. PS5 and PS4 together delivered around 900,000 sales, which is up on PS4's 700,000 in 2019. Finally, Nintendo Switch dominated with 1.5 million units sold in 2020, up from nearly one million the year prior.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Interesting how all of Sony's exclusives were actually mainly physical. TLOU2 with only 36%, Miles with 30% and Ghost also with less than 50% of its sales digital.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Its surprising to see Miles with the lowest digital ratio, I guess people wanted that shiny PS5 box.

Also I have to say, given this is probably our first definitive look at TLOU2 legs, I really think this does put the nail in the TLOU2 actually has good legs argument. >190k physical sold in its first 2 days, ~150k physical sales for the rest of the six+ months of the year. Physical LTD is only 180% of launch week. It seems like post-launch sales may not have out-sold pre-orders yet.

Other titles examples (physical comparison only since that's the launch week data we have):

Spidey MM (Nov launch) - LTD 325% of launch week
AC Valhalla (Nov launch) - LTD 280% of launch week
COD BOCW (Nov launch) - LTD 370% of launch week
Avengers (Sept launch) - LTD 450% of launch week
Fifa 21 (Sept launch) - LTD 320% of launch week
Ghost (July launch) - LTD 260% of launch week
Cyberpunk (Dec launch) - LTD 155% of launch week

Well, at least Cyberpunk is lower. Its a shame, the hate campaign and noise around TLOU2 does seem to have put people off it.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The digital / physical splits for some games are insane.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its surprising to see Miles with the lowest digital ratio, I guess people wanted that shiny PS5 box.

Also I have to say, given this is probably our first definitive look at TLOU2 legs, I really think this does put the nail in the TLOU2 actually has good legs argument. >190k physical sold in its first 2 days, ~150k physical sales for the rest of the six+ months of the year. Physical LTD is only 180% of launch week. It seems like post-launch sales may not have out-sold pre-orders yet.

Other titles examples (physical comparison only since that's the launch week data we have):

Spidey MM (Nov launch) - LTD 325% of launch week
AC Valhalla (Nov launch) - LTD 280% of launch week
COD BOCW (Nov launch) - LTD 370% of launch week
Avengers (Sept launch) - LTD 450% of launch week
Fifa 21 (Sept launch) - LTD 320% of launch week
Ghost (July launch) - LTD 260% of launch week
Cyberpunk (Dec launch) - LTD 155% of launch week

Well, at least Cyberpunk is lower. Its a shame, the hate campaign and noise around TLOU2 does seem to have put people off it.

We should compare it to more single player games, also as the game will enter catalogue cateegory soon, the digital ratio will keep increasing

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing how much extra cash you have when you dont have to fork out for a monthly travelcard ;)

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
We should compare it to more single player games, also as the game will enter catalogue cateegory soon, the digital ratio will keep increasing
Unfortunately the other games in the top 20 are all we have, unless you want to compare it to Animal Crossing?

Anyway I think its not awful legs, its just a bit disappointing, and its first week was so huge that sales are obviously still good overall.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
PS4 LTD - 7.58 mil
Xbox One LTD - 5.6 mil ltd
Switch - 4 mil ltd

It's a testament that the PlayStation 4 sold almost 2 million more units than the Xbox One given that the Xbox 360 (and Wii) were not only more popular in the UK back then, but the Xbox One has frequently been the less dearer console of the two (once they removed Kinect).

You could buy an Xbox One S for ÂŁ149 for two Christmases in a row, whereas the PlayStation 4 was often ÂŁ50-75 dearer with fewer games bundled too. Imagine the disparity in sales if Sony had matched the lower prices of the Xbox One every Christmas.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately the other games in the top 20 are all we have, unless you want to compare it to Animal Crossing?

Anyway I think its not awful legs, its just a bit disappointing, and its first week was so huge that sales are obviously still good overall.

TLOU 2 just did a jrpg :P

Yes legs will be disappointing but i think a PS5 Sku will help

Jan 20, 2019

TLOU2 legs were disapointing until oc/november, the game started to see a increase in sales after that and was apear multiple times on the chart during the entire of 2021.

Goty awards and the reduce price as help the game as more peopel are willing to give it a try, no doubt in my mind the game will continue to sell well.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
So with Nintendo saying AC is around 50% digital in Europe, you can probably double that physical total

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony exclusives seem to be below average in digital sales. It's no wonder though, since their digital game pricing is way too high and only way to buy digital games is their own store.

There digital split will increaseee over the years like it has been for Horizon and GOW.

Single Player "Year 1" Still is heavy towards Physical

So with Nintendo saying AC is around 50% digital in Europe, you can probably double that physical total

Those % was for 1 Quarter