• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Low-skilled workers would not get visas under post-Brexit immigration plans unveiled by the government.

It is urging employers to "move away" from relying on "cheap labour" from Europe and invest in retaining staff and developing automation technology.

The Home Office said EU and non-EU citizens coming to the UK would be treated equally after UK-EU free movement ends on 31 December.

Under the scheme, overseas workers who wanted to come to the UK would have to speak English and have the offer of a skilled job with an "approved sponsor".

www.bbc.co.uk

Immigration: No visas for low-skilled workers, government says

Ministers urge firms to stop relying on "cheap labour", but critics warn of damage to the economy.

This is what everyone who voted for brexit wanted. It's going to be a disaster especially in Scotland.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
How long before the industry, hospitals and nursing homes, farmers, etc complain they can't find enough workers?

Idiots.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Farmers who don't use astoundingly expensive automated crop/fruit/vegetable picking machines and rely on cheap labour to do their fruit/vegetable picking and harvesting are going to suffer most.

Then again, a lot of farmers in the midlands voted 'leave' so, I have little sympathy for those folks...

How long before the industry, hospitals and nursing homes, farmers, etc. complain they can't find enough workers?

Idiots.

Precisely.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
The "cheap labour" they talk of work harder and better than most people from this country. There was this old guy who admitted to being racist on the radio post brexit vote but he said after working with polish people on his building site he realised how wrong and stupid his racist views were.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
"Under the new plan, all migrants will only be entitled to access income-related benefits until after indefinite leave to remain is granted, usually after five years. "
Stripping benefits EU migrants already had.

"Following recommendations from the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC), the salary threshold for skilled workers wanting to come to the UK would be lowered from £30,000 to £25,600. "
Wanting to look good to racists but trying to keep as many immigrant workers as possible? I'm aware the MAC is independent but it really looks like that.

The care and health sectors are gonna be pretty damaged if these changes go through.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What's the definition of skilled - just based on salary?

and that benefits thing seems backwards? so if you get indefinite right to stay, you *lose* access to benefits? Doesn't make sense

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
My first reaction is that this is aimed at being a vote-winner to leave voters and the people I know who voted leave with be all over this. We need fewer skilled workers in the UK but also need to find a balance; removing them completely form entering is dumb and ultimately self-harm in the long run.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
What's the definition of skilled - just based on salary?

Exactly that. This is preposterous in the first place, of course, but made more so when you consider people working in London, being paid proportionately for the cost of living, won't be considered low-skilled but people elsewhere doing the exact same job will. For one example, this has the potential to devastate the culinary industry outside of London because lots of people working in even fancy restaurants won't be earning £25K.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Self employed immigrants will find it hard to get entry. So that means, for example, a polish builder would find it hard to get entry. I look forward to lazy, racist, ignorant British builders who are bad at building charging ridiculous, bloated prices for shitty work.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
It's the one big thing the brexiters really want outside of leaving the eu. It's not going to be killed off in silence.
It will be killed as soon as people realize there won't be enough people to do 'low level' jobs in healthcare or stuff like the farming industry.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
that makes more sense - the quote from the post above confused me

Quote me if you're confused by what I say and I'll try and clarify what I meant.

The next paragraph after states:

Currently, EU nationals in the UK can claim benefits if they are "economically active". Non-EU citizens become eligible for benefits when they are granted permanent residence, which usually requires five years of living legally in the UK."

I was just highlighting how EU migrants are losing a lot of long-standing positives they had for working here. And yeah, the skill of a job basically depends on the salary.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
As people have mentioned this is gonna suck for Scotland. Hope we can get independence to escape this shit.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
but who will pick all the fruits, and do all the jobs the locals don't want to do

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Prediction: this is going to be an absolute disaster and/or be quietly scrapped.

It will be disastrous and also be scrapped. We could sit here all day and list the number of industries that will fell the impact, but nursing and the care industry is a key one. We hire a lot of nurses and care workers from the EU. These changes is going to make it very hard for us to plug the employment gap in these sectors.

Yes, we could point to Boris confirming that he is going to train 5000 more nurses, but we all know this BS. Even if this was possible, it takes time to train to be a nurse and isn't something that can be trained in a few weeks.

So as you rightly predicted, this will be a disaster and will be scrapped.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
What we actually need to do is stop the greedy business owners and employment agencies exploiting low paid workers and enforce a good living wage and increase workers rights and standards.

As for for EU migrants without jobs I believe we already had the power to remove them after 3 months? but we chose not to use that power, also isn't net migration from the EU down by quite a bit and non EU migration is much higher which we could lower but don't so I am willing to bet people will end up disappointed in the end when the numbers don't go down by much.

Oct 31, 2017
This will be scrapped the very second Tory supporting business owners realise they would have to start paying higher wages as a result.

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Your big companies such as Amazon could take the hit and offer higher wages (still dubious if they'll do it though) but I find it hard to believe that a bunch of farms, food factories and care homes will just accept to splash more cash across the board for staff. These aren't businesses with amazing financials.

What we actually need to do is stop the greedy business owners and employment agencies exploiting low paid workers and enforce a good living wage and increase workers rights and standards.

As for for EU migrants without jobs I believe we already had the power to remove them after 3 months? but we chose not to use that power, also isn't net migration from the EU down by quite a bit and non EU migration is much higher which we could lower but don't so I am willing to bet people will end up disappointed in the end when the numbers don't go down by much.

We never used that power because immigration is a net gain for the economy. The entire remain campaign from the government's perspective was legless because in order to sell the EU effectively, they'd have to take responsibility for public services going to shit since they went into power. Instead they tried to be vague about it and pretend the EU is good but also the reason everything is shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland

Have you seen the high street? Ever spoken to someone who works in the food prep or care industries? The money simply isn't there to pay that kind of wage. Paying a living wage to low skill workers in those industies means wage rises across the board, can't give the chuds a rise without taking up everyone else too.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Kick out "low skilled" workers > have to pay people in the food production sector more > cost of food rises dramatically > hey this US trade deal will help lower food prices and quality

Oct 31, 2017
won't they get backlash from their voters if the people want this to happen to make England "English" again?

I wouldn't have thought so. The average Tory racist may care, but the people who some actual influence with the leadership will want to keep paying starvation wages. And the scum press is hardly going to hold the government to account. I would guess they'll make a huge song and dance over this, then quietly bring in exceptions for all the industries realiant on cheap foreign labour.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
but who will pick all the fruits, and do all the jobs the locals don't want to do

They'll do seasonal migration which I've heard was a thing before so basically farmers for example can get cheap labour for picking then they have to leave afterwards. Whether that is feasible now, who knows but apparently it was a thing.

This is never going to work, they'll tow it back or have no many exemptions it might as well not exist. Love the automation point, yeah they don't give a shit about workers, locals or foreign.

Openrob

Nov 5, 2017
How long before the industry, hospitals and nursing homes, farmers, etc complain they can't find enough workers?

Idiots.

I mean, I think there is a scheme being developed for NHS staffing, but the is the issue of whether people are willing to risk the uncertainty. Additionally farmers already have seasonal workers.

Even with a scheme many people will be turned off, but it's possible there is still a supply of workers willing to come over.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprisingly positive and or deep exposure to the "other" is the closest thing to a miracle cure for racism and other bigotry. It's why stuff like employment rights is so important because it's a force multiplier for understanding and acceptance.

No offense but this is naive. They will just import from EU countries instead.

using the visas they're eliminating or do you just mean seasonal waivers?

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
BBC NEWS said:
It is urging employers to "move away" from relying on "cheap labour" from Europe and invest in retaining staff and developing automation technology.

3uTFNaE.gif

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You look at employment figures, more people are in jobs but the quality of life isn't there but you rarely see that brought up. Tories will ride that forever.

As for if things get worse, I'm being negative but I don't hold much faith in it not making Boris stronger, people will be very angry and probably be in favour of hard choices the Tories fooled them into accepting, you can see it happening.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Going beyond the obviously shitty/racist aspects of this I wonder whether anyone in government actually believes this is going to work out.

My guess is no (and that they're using this as a PR stunt) because no-one would seriously be able to ignore the facts that 1) most UK citizens don't want to be paid the subsistence wages on awful hours that these jobs represent and employers don't want to raise those wages to entice them in and 2) we won't be getting many trade deals if we don't agree to let low-skilled migrants from major countries/blocs such as China, the US, India, the EU, etc in.

Though I'm not naive enough to believe that this isn't just a way for Boris to help Brexiteers live out their racist fantasies. It will be a massive vote-winner and point-of-proganda even when these grand plans don't actually occur as planned, in fact I bet that they want it to not go as planned so they can further the "EU TAKING OUR SOVEREIGNTY" narrative.

Is that laughter because you don't believe the British proles would ever take up those kinds of jobs or because you don't believe the companies would ever actually pay those sorts of wages? If the latter then, yeah, that's 100% true but if it's the former then I don't really think that's a great idea. Fighting racism with classism is just... eh.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I think there is a scheme being developed for NHS staffing, but the is the issue of whether people are willing to risk the uncertainty.

Even with a scheme many people will be turned off, but it's possible there is still a supply of workers willing to be come over.

you don't need to staff the NHS if you don't have the NHS. Think of the savings AND the racial purity. Our elderly can cure themselves with some nice pineapple rings.

mHldi4e.jpg

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
They'll probably keep this bullshit, and slowly layer on 'exceptions' for specific areas of skill shortages - covering precisely the kinds of areas being talked about

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Is that laughter because you don't believe the British proles would ever take up those kinds of jobs or because you don't believe the companies would ever actually pay those sorts of wages? If the latter then, yeah, that's 100% true but if it's the former then I don't really think that's a great idea. Fighting racism with classism is just... eh.
The latter for sure. I come from a pretty poor background, that kinda classism aint my jam.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
We never used that power because immigration is a net gain for the economy.

I agree it is a net gain, I am pro free movement and pro immigration fullstop, just pointing out the hypocrisy of those saying we have no controls to use.

Have you seen the high street? Ever spoken to someone who works in the food prep or care industries? The money simply isn't there to pay that kind of wage. Paying a living wage to low skill workers in those industies means wage rises across the board, can't give the chuds a rise without taking up everyone else too.

I have seen the high street in my own city, it is dying, I just hate seeing how shitty people are treated and think they deserve a proper pay rise, I know it is easier said than done but I know people in low paid jobs and hate seeing them struggle.