• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Just dragged my Dad to the polling station.. He's a lifelong Labour voter but he's extremely disillusioned with politics and we're in a safe Tory seat, a lot of Labour voters around here feel like that about GEs and prefer to come out for local elections. it'll have no effect on the final outcome here or nationally but if everyone did what I did, it would make a big difference.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
They'd have to select a new leader, or find a way to get Mr. Johnson into the Lords to remain a constitutionally acceptable prime minister, or convince another Tory to give up their seat and let Boris parachute in to the Commons and serve as PM.
Uh. I wonder what would happen. But this is not a non binding constitutional expectation that he could decide to say fuck it and ignore, is it?

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Sorry to hear that. I do love this country. I came here when I was 8 almost 30 years ago. It really has changed so much in the last few years. Regarding the elderly folk. It is them that are rather coordinated voting wise. They make sure to get out early or by postal vote. Hopefully they younger voters can brave the weather and make sure to vote if they haven't already.
Really sad to hear folks are so horrible you had to move away. People are horrible sometimes. Life would be so much easier if people just learned to be nice to each other. How hard is it?
Yeah, we've heard from a lot of folks that it has really gotten much worse over the last few months. It is really unfortunate, especially after all the money it cost to come here. I knew it was a volatile time but didn't figure it would be that bad, but it's been worse than I could have imagined, unfortunately. I know it's not indicative of everyone that lives here, of course. I've met very friendly people, but I've met more strangers that have been extremely hostile. My wife and I were even told to go back to our country once, upon hearing we were from America. It's sad because, other than the weather, we do like it here! But I have nothing against the people, in general. It's just sad to see it's the same as it is in the States, with populist candidates encouraging the xenophobes and racists to just come out of the woodwork.

I still hope all goes well tonight! :D FWIW around the Headingley area of Leeds, there has been tons of traffic and people out all day. Significantly more than usual, especially given the weather. I know it's not indicative of the electorate, with it being a younger population, but the turnout here seems really high from my perspective. And I was walking about all day in this horrible rain! :)

Budr

Nov 18, 2017
London
They'd have to select a new leader, or find a way to get Mr. Johnson into the Lords to remain a constitutionally acceptable prime minister, or convince another Tory to give up their seat and let Boris parachute in to the Commons and serve as PM.
This is what they would do. Someone would resign from an extremely safe seat triggering a by-election with Johnson standing. Would be forgotten in a week, unfortunately.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Just had a lovely phone call from the Labour party asking me if I'd voted for them. Had to tell them no but I still hope they win tonight. None of them have an idea how it's gone yet. Said the turnout seems to be scenes like no-one has seen before so hopefully that's positive.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Really concerned as to the effect of the weather on the vote here. It's been a seriously nasty day.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Just dragged my Dad to the polling station.. He's a lifelong Labour voter but he's extremely disillusioned with politics and we're in a safe Tory seat, a lot of Labour voters around here feel like that about GEs and prefer to come out for local elections. it'll have no effect on the final outcome here or nationally but if everyone did what I did, it would make a big difference.
Good on you!

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
My non political friend did a test online to see who to vote for and it gave him Tory so he voted for them. For fuck sake man.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Voted Labour in my relatively safe Tory constituency.
Fully expecting a Tory majority by the morning, but all these mumblings of high turn-out is giving me a twinkle of hope.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My non political friend did a test online to see who to vote for and it gave him Tory so he voted for them. For fuck sake man.
If you needed an online test to steer you morally towards a party, then yeah Tory seems about right. Site is probably rigged to only produce that or Brexit, with a couple of subliminal flashes of Corbyn and the Soviet flag.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Best of luck to our tea drinking neighbours (and non tea drinking citizens of the UK too of course), I'm here with ya hoping for a miracle.

Oof. Online tests suck because the more right you get the more lies you have in the party programs lol. Try to inform them for next time when you vote on post apocalyptic chieftain

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Fuck this shit argghh. Feeling anxious and worried about a Tory majority. I just have to stick with my plan of scrambling for survival.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
If you needed an online test to steer you morally towards a party, then yeah Tory seems about right. Site is probably rigged to only produce that or Brexit, with a couple of subliminal flashes of Corbyn and the Soviet flag.

I took the test and it told me to vote for the Liberal Democratic party but I didn't because I don't let an online test tell me what to do.

Also, I can't vote in the general elections.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just had my first in-person argument about the election. Was talking to a housemate and said if you vote Tory you can get fucked. Got called an absolutionist on par with Brexit voters (if you're not with us, get out). Row ensued. Oh dear.

We good now, but I'm a pretty chill person so it actually feels weird getting fucked off about something. I guess there are few more important things worth getting angry about, right?

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Just had my first in-person argument about the election. Was talking to a housemate and said if you vote Tory you can get fucked. Got called an absolutionist on par with Brexit voters (if you're not with us, get out). Row ensued. Oh dear.

We good now, but I'm a pretty chill person so it actually feels weird getting fucked off about something. I guess there are few more important things worth getting angry about, right?
Yeah there is someone I work with who I will never broach the subject of politics because I know he is very much the polar opposite of me politically and I know that it would not be a conversation that went well. I have to manage the guy too so it would make work awkward and he is very good at his job so keeping politics out of it.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Yeah there is someone I work with who I will never broach the subject of politics because I know he is very much the polar opposite of me politically and I know that it would not be a conversation that went well. I have to manage the guy too so it would make work awkward and he is very good at his job so keeping politics out of it.

The weird thing is that this person also voted Lib Dem but they were kinda-sorta playing Devil's Advocate and, yeah, it was a shouty mess. First time I've raised my voice in months lmao

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The weird thing is that this person also voted Lib Dem but they were kinda-sorta playing Devil's Advocate and, yeah, it was a shouty mess. First time I've raised my voice in months lmao
It's like you say, it's one of the few things to be angry about in the grand scheme of things. The more you deal with those with other political views, the more you'll keep your composure, but it's never wrong to speak up to someone if they're spouting centrist or apologist rhetoric.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Whatever happens, I'm comforted that there are so many left minded people on here and it gives me hope for the future.

I'm still shitting myself for 22:00

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
It's like you say, it's one of the few things to be angry about in the grand scheme of things. The more you deal with those with other political views, the more you'll keep your composure, but it's never wrong to speak up to someone if they're spouting centrist or apologist rhetoric.

Yeah I'm a bit embarrassed I flew off the handle so fast but I think it's fine. I'm not some rage monster in my daily life so I guess it's fine.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm wondering and clinging on to hope for is that there has been a marked rise in populism recently. I think the general public sees Bo Jo as a bit of a prick and that might cause a few wavering votes to think "My conscience won't let me vote for that wanker" and might sway them red. 15 mins till we find out the likely outcome. Someone hold me.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Where will the exit polls first be announced?
All the news channels. They don't do exit polls in the last hour of voting so that it can be announced bang on 10. So in 9 minutes we should know more or less how the evening will unfold unless the exit polls get it horrifically wrong.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
You'll get used to conversations like this at uni, it builds your ability to discuss things openly without devolving to Internet shouting. Very few things are worth having a shouting match about, and imo politics are rarely worth it. Stay cool, brother, and you'll understand why millions of people vote Tory/leave. it's a better idea than telling them all to fuck off. Glad you felt empassioned about it enough to get angry, though!

OT: Not long until the exit polls now, then we can work out if we're staying up or fucking off to bed...