• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
Well just got back from casting my vote. It wasn't an easy decision to make really.

The candidates standing in my constituency were,
  • Brexit Party
  • 1 Independent
  • Conservatives
  • Green
  • Labour
  • Liberal Democrats

Brexit Party - Instantly dismissed. Not a chance. The Brexit Party candidate for the constituency has also said she no longer wants to contest the seat, but it was too late for her name to be removed from the ballot. Given that Brexit Party campaign material has also been delivered to my house during the course of the campaign, and recently, I don't think this message has spread particularly well. She's dont it in order to try and 'fight against' tactical voting.

Independent Candidate - On looking into him he's a Hard Brexit supporter and running on that platform. Instantly dismissed.

Conservatives - Instantly dismissed for what should be obvious reasons.

Green - Honestly, I didn't even know they were standing in this constituency until recently. I've had zero campaign material from them through the letterbox. Looking back they didn't run in 2017, ran a candidate here in 2015 that received only 1,060 votes and didn't run a candidate in 2010. No matter what their policies it's clear that there's no point in voting Green in this constituency, especially at a time like this.

Labour - Here's where it begins to get tricky. I like Labour's policies, they're saying a lot of sensible things, however their historical fence sitting on Brexit has absolutely been a black mark against them in my eyes and I would have to say has been a contributing factor to the position the country currently finds itself in. They also currently hold this seat but I don't think I would class it as a Safe Seat. Whilst Labour held the seat in 2017, in 2015 they had to win it back from the Lib Dems who's vote collapsed due to the coalition. In 2010 the Lib Dems took the seat with a majority of 5,214, so not exactly a close race. In 2015 Labour won the seat back, but only with a majority of 2,268, with the Conservatives coming in second place. In 2017 that majority certainly increased, to 9,485, but I don't think I could describe that as safe seat territory. Especially when you consider there's a strong pro-leave base in this area. And of course, despite the party, there's still one big sticking point. Corbyn. I do not like him, I do not think he is a good leader and his personal views on the UK's membership of the EU have been made perfectly clear over the last 30 years. His apathy and at times borderline sabotage of the Remain Campaign during the referendum were disgraceful. Worse he has tried to push those personal views as party policy multiple times, only to have to be reigned in kicking and screaming by the rest of the party and even then he would still try to muddy the waters until the rest of the party put its foot down to make the actual party position perfectly clear and basically force Corbyn into going along with it.

Liberal Democrats - I went into this election without a doubt that I would be voting Liberal Democrat. They were unambiguously pro-Remain and it seemed clear that, if you wanted to send a pro-Remain message and lived in England, you should vote Liberal Democrat. The rest of their policies, whilst not as radical as Labour, were generally supportable and without a doubt a better option than what the Conservatives were offering. And then the election campaign began. At first I was on board with the message of Revoking Article 50 day one, but this position seemed to very quickly get softened and has morphed into simply supporting a second referendum. All of a sudden the Liberal Democrats Brexit position is identical to that of Labour, though the Lib Dems at least have a consistent historical message on the issue, which Labour most certainly do not. But then there's their actual campaign. In England at least the Liberal Democrats have been running campaign tricks that would be at home in the Conservative playbook. Misleading information, attempting to borderline dupe voters, just general smearing of their opponents, it's all very Conservative...very American. And then over the last few months the party has seemed to be gradually shifting to the right. Whether it's from attempting to capture more Tory votes or simply the entry of former Conservative MPs, or just both, it's impossible to really pin down, but the result can't be denied.

Then there's the added complication of that strong pro-leave support in this area. Despite the Brexit Party candidate saying she wasn't going to actively contest the seat, this message seemed to only come out 2 days ago, quite possibly far too late to make a difference to people who had already made up their mind to vote for the Brexit party. Ontop of that you've got the current attitude of voting being that people don't really consider themselves as voting for their local candidate, they're voting for the party and its leader instead. Every bit of Brexit party literature that has come through the door here hasn't had a picture of the local candidate on, it's had pictures of Farage. That popularity means you've quite likely got voters from both the Conservatives and Labour moving towards the Brexit party. Conservative voters who've gone all in on Hard Brexit, and Labour Voters unhappy with the party support for a second referendum. I doubt it would be enough for the Brexit party candidate to actually win the seat, but what if it's enough that it draws enough Labour support away to allow them to lose? I wouldn't be surprised to see more Labour support lost to the Brexit party than Conservative support, and what if that then leads to the Conservatives taking this seat?
So what do I do in this situation? Do I vote Labour to try and keep their support high enough to squeak over the line? Or do I vote Liberal Democrat in the hopes that their consistent Remain support will be enough to pull the Remain vote together and keep the seat from the Conservatives?

Even on the walk to the polling station, even as I stood in the polling booth staring at the form with the pencil in my hand, all of this was running through my head. Every time I lowered the pencil I ended up pulling it back because a new doubt entered my mind. Even when I could bring it down, I ended up moving it between those two boxes over and over.

In the end though I had to make a choice. It was a very, VERY, difficult choice and honestly I still don't know if it was the right one to make. But I had to do something, and so I did something I never thought I would do. I had to hope that the party would be able to control its leader and reign him in as it has in the past, and I gave my vote to Labour.

fair play for putting this much thought into your vote, hope your difficult choice is vindicated

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
They're the second biggest party now. Hope for losses, but it's possible in amongst losses they flip some SNP seats which will get spun as a win.

Exit poll will be interesting for Scotland. The English won't forgive us if we're yet again partly responsible for getting the Tories over 326. The DUP need a 1 billion bribe to help the Tories, in Scotland you just mention the possibility of an independence vote and the gammon wings flap.

SNP geezer outside my polling station this morning said bad weather will keep SNP voters at home but Tories will be out in fierce numbers.

Yet again every party that isn't the SNP in Scotland all get together to run on "Stop the SNP".

This is my big, big fear right now, that other places "pull their weight" but we can't reduce as many Tory seats as predicted.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 5 wines down and on my way to vote woooooo
They don't breathalyser you to vote right😬

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
This assumes, of course, that they're telling the truth. Voting for the Conservatives is like pissing in the sink - a lot of people might do it when no-one's watching, but they'll never admit to it in public.

Oh of course, and the tory switcher vote line could be misleading from the people he asked, however the other part looks to be correct.

Every sign so far points towards much higher then expected turnout. Many people located in all parts of the country are stating queues throughout the day being at polling stations.

We need to see if this carries onto this evening. But momemtum is definitely there.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Voted Labour. Was pretty dead when I got there (about 8.15am) but I am in an incredibly safe Labour seat so not too worried; hopefully the marginal constituencies are busier.

Fuck the Tories, fuck Brexit, fuck Trump, fuck any intolerance in the world.

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
This thread right now
giphy.gif

flook

Oct 28, 2017
Sinn Fein have won my constituency every time they have contested it and will win again today but with no help from me - I'm just hoping their majority at least shrinks a little. My MP was there handing out leaflets - probably the most effort he's expended since the last election.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from voting Labour a little while ago. Against my better judgement, I'm holding out a tiny bit of hope for a miracle. Still going to brace myself for the worst outcome, though.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
My polling station was HOPPIN'
This is a SNP/Lib Dem marginal though so probably won't mean anything.

BerserkHobo82

Oct 27, 2017
Whilst I'm not here to try and persuade people on what vote for . Every one able to vote, should vote. I couldn't care less if you vote for green, Tory, or Brexit. If you do not vote and are able to. You have NO RIGHT to complain about our (sorry state) of politics.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
My polling station was HOPPIN'
This is a SNP/Lib Dem marginal though so probably won't mean anything.
Well the SNP are much more likely to support a Labour government if it happens to swing that way, so SNP gaining seats from the lib dems would be good.

Whilst I'm not here to try and persuade people on what vote for . Every one able to vote, should vote. I couldn't care less if you vote for green, Tory, or Brexit. If you do not vote and are able to. You have NO RIGHT to complain about our (sorry state) of politics.
Absolutely, people who don't vote have no right to complain about any of it. It doesn't take much time to read through key manifesto pledges, talk to your friends and family and inform yourself on who to vote for.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
My mum (Labour councillor) can't campaign like she used to because of her health, so instead bakes cakes and biscuits for all the local campaigners, and I just got in from driving her around to distribute them. Mixed feelings about what the results may hold amongst the campaigners I was speaking to.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I still wish there was a "all these people are shit" option for those who would rather be counted than dismissed as a spoiled ballot.

Krypta

Oct 29, 2017
I will consider any result that end with 325+ MPs in favour of a second referendum a victory.

Oct 28, 2017

Agreed, I'm voting just so that I have a God given right to complain over a pint for the next 5 years.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
My mum (Labour councillor) can't campaign like she used to because of her health, so instead bakes cakes and biscuits for all the local campaigners, and I just got in from driving her around to distribute them. Mixed feelings about what the results may hold amongst the campaigners I was speaking to.
Mixed as in some are feeling good and some aren't or they're all a bit down on labour's chances?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Got soaked on my walk to our little village hall polling station. Safe Tory seat here sadly, but you never know. Every vote against them helps.

Ordering a Chinese, bottle of wine at the ready, and will stay up through the night for the results and TGAs. Will be a weird mix of excitement and depression I imagine =P

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got soaked on my walk to our little village hall polling station. Safe Tory seat here sadly, but you never know. Every vote against them helps.

Ordering a Chinese, bottle of wine at the ready, and will stay up through the night for the results and TGAs. Will be a weird mix of excitement and depression I imagine =P

I'm doing the same, minus the wine. :P

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Went and voted at lunch, I'm stuck in a Tory stronghold but went for Labour anyways. Work Xmas do tonight but I intend on staying up to watch the results come in... Don't think I can bear waking up to a nasty surprise yet again.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Went and voted at lunch, I'm stuck in a Tory stronghold but went for Labour anyways. Work Xmas do tonight but I intend on staying up to watch the results come in... Don't think I can bear waking up to a nasty surprise yet again.

You did your bit, that's all that matters, you at least tried to make a difference.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
My area is a safe Labour seat but I voted anyway.

I'm preparing for the worst. I hate this.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

I grew up in Weaverham, good man Ricky. My parents are still there.

I live in Wrexham, North Wales. Polling had Tories and Labour about tied on 40% each.

Wrexham voted 59% to Leave and Labour's last majority was under 2k

I'm shitting it....I hope to god we don't turn Tory but im not hopeful.

Interested broadly about the national result. I think it's going to juuuuust scrape into hung territory. But it's going to be closer than close

Pass the gin

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Gerrymandered Tory stronghold but just back soaking wet from the polls to put my cross next to Labour. Let's get these Tory prats out for the good of society!

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, mine's a Tory stronghold. Not with enough fucking Labour votes it isn't

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
My sister just told me one of her friends hopes people vote Labour because she's worried about getting deported. She's 14.

What sort of hateful backwards fucking country have we created? Broke my heart when she told me.