• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrasvansen

Oct 25, 2017
Azeroth(Scotland)
EU membership wasn't really a consideration as neither the YES or NO movements were even questioning EU membership. This is before Brexit. Now, that might change today if there was another referendum.

Actually, remember my family having a large debate about EU membership at the time and all deciding safer to stay in UK and that was one of the reasons, now we all changed our minds and she knows once we get dragged out its a whole different scenario.

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
Some of those people voted No precisely because they feared us leaving the EU due to independence and we're swayed by the promise of the No campaign that a No vote protected our place in the EU. So your argument is absolutely non-existent. Stop talking shit or go get educated first.

If people feared leaving the EU it was down the SNP being unable to provide guaranteed membership or an answer to the economy.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
EU membership wasn't really a consideration as neither the YES or NO movements were even questioning EU membership. This is before Brexit. Now, that might change today if there was another referendum.
You were saying some wild shit before but holy fuck this one is amazing. Were you like in Australia during the Referendum?

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It was absolutely a key consideration.

The argument went, that there was no guarantee of EU membership should Scotland leave, so the best way to remain closely aligned with Europe was to stay in the UK. To say it wasn't a consideration is flatly wrong.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
It wouldn't matter because campaigning on independence was never going to help their vote. Scottish people that want independence are already voting for them, it's completely baked in. That position prevented them from being able to expand from that base which is what helped them in them in 2015 vs 2017.

There's little they would have lost by doing that because if it worked they could just negotiate the Independence referendum with labour later. If it failed then the Tory's were going to get their majority regardless. They weren't going to lose anything from that. I honestly believe it was a strategic mistake and unforced error.

They're still going to return a majority and they do it stating clearly voting for them is also pursuing a potential indyref2 if all goes tits up. What about the people from 2015 who would go "Oh, SNP aren't mentioning indyref2 now in 2019, we'll vote for them!".

Then the UK votes Tory majority, Brexit is full-steam ahead and the SNP come out with, "by the way, now that we couldn't help Jezza we're pursuing indyref2!". "OMG THE SNP DIDN'T CAMPAIGN ON INDYREF2 IN 2019, I AM OUTRAGED!".

Nah, being open and honest is best. I stand by what I said and repeat, it's up to Scottish people to follow the UK off a cliff if they refuse independence in a Boris lead Brexit Britain.

People want more honesty in politics, but now we're discussing "dishonest" campaigning if it meets your goals of trying to squeeze more votes.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
My little bird in the Wokingham Tories delivered the message that Redwood is worried about the possibility of losing his seat to Phillip Lee. Strange times.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I think the most damning aspect of the constant jibes at Corbyn that if he was more centrist/if Labour had a more moderate leader that they would be trouncing the Tories is the fact that every single time, people forget the Liberal Democrats exist.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
This is total bollocks.

The No side in the Scottish independence referendum claimed that a Yes vote would leave Scotland outside the EU and at the "back of the queue" (EU entry is not a queue, but that didn't bother them because they didn't mind telling lies as bad as the one you've just posted). The Yes side argued (slightly optimistically) that Scotland could expect a relatively quick entry into the EU.

The Yes side counter-argued that the UK's membership of the EU was a subject of constant political pressure, including from one idiotic party whose sole purpose for existing was to push the UK out of the EU. The Yes side contended that it was a Yes vote that guaranteed Scotland's place in the EU, and that in the event of a No vote, there was a risk that the UK would have a referendum and vote itself out of the EU. The No side's counter-argument to that was (paraphrasing very very very very slightly) "lol no don't be stupid idiots that will never happen".

So what you posted is about as far from reality as you can get, which I guess is to be expected from someone who looks at every single person involved in this election and singles out Nicola Sturgeon as being "horrific".

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Fuck off with this shit. Have you seen Corbyn's numbers. He'll never win a GE. Tories have been laughing for years.

Maybe just maybe the British people are part of the problem when/if they refuse one of the most progressive manifestos England will probably see for decades?

This is total bollocks.

The No side in the Scottish independence referendum claimed that a Yes vote would leave Scotland outside the EU and at the "back of the queue" (EU entry is not a queue, but that didn't bother them because they didn't mind telling lies as bad as the one you've just posted). The Yes side argued (slightly optimistically) that Scotland could expect a relatively quick entry into the EU.

The Yes side counter-argued that the UK's membership of the EU was a subject of constant political pressure, including from one idiotic party whose sole purpose for existing was to push the UK out of the EU. The Yes side contended that it was a Yes vote that guaranteed Scotland's place in the EU, and that in the event of a No vote, there was a risk that the UK would have a referendum and vote itself out of the EU. The No side's counter-argument to that was (paraphrasing very very very very slightly) "lol no don't be stupid idiots that will never happen".

So what you posted is about as far from reality as you can get, which I guess is to be expected from someone who looks at every single person involved in this election and singles out Nicola Sturgeon as being "horrific".

I'd ignore that poster, still not willing to drop their shield on who they think is a good leader/vote or mention what they think of Brexit.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off with this shit. Have you seen Corbyn's numbers. He'll never win a GE. Tories have been laughing for years.

You're the one not responding to others arguments, be they about how labour did under Ed and the smear campaign on him or the one that mentions how Labour was able to shrink Tories majority last election under Corbyn.

Instead you're just laughing, calling people delusional and stuff like this.

suedester

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Inflammatory accusations/trolling across a series of posts
Corbyn supporters are Tory enablers.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
At the time of the last referendum, it seemed to me like independence was bad for Scotland and for the rest of the UK. If Boris gets a majority, I can't see how anyone could argue it would be bad for Scotland now.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Corbyn can't win a GE. That's been clear for years. Momentum and Corbyn's complete lack of anything grasping reality had led us here.

At least posts like this earlier on had some basis in thinking Labour could change something, saying stuff like this when a hung paraliment has a decent chance even in some of the more pessimistic polls and the election is literally a day away is just being a shitter, and frankly puts major doubt on your intentions.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
You watch tomorrow if the tories get a majority. There will be people crawling out of the woodwork on this forum ready to rub it in etc.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Posters like these are constantly expecting people on the left to both make their argument for them then argue against them. It's hard to say it's in good faith when there are so many examples in real life of people doing the same by parroting right wing media without engaging in discourse or actually critiquing (not just criticising!) the policies.

Corbyn supporters are Tory enablers.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You watch tomorrow if the tories get a majority. There will be people crawling out of the woodwork on this forum ready to rub it in etc.
It will happen as long as labour don't outright win.

We saw it last election xthe narrative went from "Labour will get destroyed and lose 200 seats" to "Labour didn't win, get over yourself. with a decent leader they would have easily got a a majority".

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
You're going to get Tony Blair Labour again anyway if it's a Tory majority, so give it another 5 years and we'll see if this "If it was anyone but Corbyn Labour would be swinging a majority from their dick" is true.

Given the Tory bias in the vast majority of the UK's media, Labour are always going to struggle to win an election. Even a 'Blair like' Labour would struggle. The Tories have the media screwed down pretty tight, and if they win this election they'll screw it down even tighter. So Vote Labour to get the diabolical Tories out of government.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019

Some of it's trolling, but sure, there's others just staying quiet or like the poster I quoted a few times in the last 10 minutes, seemingly unwilling to offer up who they think is a good leader.

When you are a Tory having to put forward a case Boris Johnson is bae, it's much easier instead to keep quiet who you support and just go on about how bad all your opposition is.

Same as the Labour voters who might be screaming like children tomorrow terrorist Corbyn ruined everything, instead of you know, being more disappointed their fellow countrymen gave Boris their votes.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Can't believe there are actual living, breathing Tories on here.

Why would you be surprised? As much as Resetera might have its leanings, a 40,000 sample size is statistically going to have both right and left political voters, irrespective of the Resetera rules/T&C.

The average age bracket for Resetera will, statistically, have less Tories than normal, but it isn't true no youth/young adults vote Tory. A sizeable chunk still do.

All that happens on Resetera is those who are Conservatives stay quiet, or spend more time concern trolling. As I said above having to make a case Boris is a great leader is not an easy thing to do, anywhere. Let alone a gaming forum filled with 20~40 year olds.

I doubt you'll see a single person in this topic saying Boris is awesome/they are voting for him. But will there be people on here voting Boris tomorrow? You bet. Maybe even some on this page 👀

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you be surprised? As much as Resetera might have its leanings, a 40,000 sample size is statistically going to have both right and left political voters, irrespective of the Resetera rules/T&C.

The average age bracket for Resetera will, statistically, have even less Tories than normal, but it isn't true no youth/young adults vote Tory. A sizeable chunk still do.

All that happens on Resetera is those who are Conservatives stay quiet, or spend more time concern trolling. As I said above having to make a case Boris is a great leader is not an easy thing to do, anywhere. Let alone a gaming forum filled with 20~40 year olds.

Personally, I've never run into one on here.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017

That's okay, we'll just direct them to this thread:

and keep reminding them that they've voted in a spineless clown whose abhorrent party will tear apart the UK and stamp all over the less well off in society, as well as the disabled, the sick, minorities, the elderly and so on. All of this will be done while disposing of the Human Rights Act and re-writing laws to favour the rich elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.