• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 55689

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 5, 2019
Is it possible to show someone that the BBC has been biased toward the Tories this election? I've spoken to people that are just as convinced that the BBC is biased towards the left as I am that they are biased toward the Tories and the debate just ends up being confirmation bias 101.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Just sit back and chuckle at how Boris Johnson chased Ruth Davidson out of her own party, yet she's such a hack career politician she'll still defend the Tory party.

The day Scotland is inevitably independent thanks to more Tory reign/Brexit is the day these smug cunts will be a right picture for the media. I almost want to win an independence vote just to see the likes of Davidson and Rangers fans going hysterical on social media/fighting in the streets and demanding that the Queen intervenes and declares war on Scotland.

I will celebrate harder than a Scottish man in an Irish pub the day the UK gets dissolved.
Independence won't happen in our lifetime, we won't get another ref and if we did it would be No again.
We're a pathetic so-called country , did you see the Bougainville referendum, over 90% yes, that is what often happens with real countries, Scotland is openly mocked by Westminster, they've been fucking Scotland up the arse for decades and independence polls are barely at 50%. We know our place and will forever bow down to our colonial masters, no matter how bad things get.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to show someone that the BBC has been biased toward the Tories this election? I've spoken to people that are just as convinced that the BBC is biased towards the left as I am that they are biased toward the Tories and the debate just ends up being confirmation bias 101.

You've got no hope with someone like that I'm afraid.

I don't even know where you'd start.

How about the Prime Minister and the former Prime Minister unveiling a statue to a known anti-semite and nazi sympathiser about two weeks ago and the BBC not reporting that element of Nancy Astor's past at all?

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Independence won't happen in our lifetime, we won't get another ref and if we did it would be No again.
We're a pathetic so-called country , did you see the Bougainville referendum, over 90% yes, that is what often happens with real countries, Scotland is openly mocked by Westminster, they've been fucking Scotland up the arse for decades and independence polls are barely at 50%. We know our place and will forever bow down to our colonial masters, no matter how bad things get.

Keep the faith. A Tory majority and Brexit will absolutely destroy the UK for anyone who isn't rich.

Scotland has a cancer which is blind-Unionism and Orange Order loyalists/Freemasons, but we'll defeat them eventually. Enough people will see reason when the Tories further destroy this Union of countries and the shotgun isn't just loaded, but it's pointed directly at Scottish heads.

Polls show indyref at around 50/50 just now, but polls on the hypothetical of a Boris PM/Brexit being carried out often show independence creeping up.

Scottish people are just dumb enough to say "I'll do it after the carnage has already happened, until then I'll play a game of chicken with Scotland and back the Queen for a bit longer".

Rule Britannia and British colonialism has had half the world in "chains" at points in history.

Last edited:

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019

Wayyyy longer than that, my friend.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Anti-Semitism, as with all xenophobic and prejudice views, needs to be eradicated from our society, however that poll really highlights what a crock of shit the Labour anti-Semitic narrative has been - within Labour negative Jewish attitudes seems to trend about 5% above Tory & general population, meanwhile Tory Islamophobia trends about 11%-17% higher than general population (depending on question) and 21%-27% higher than Labour supporters.

Clear as day anti-Semitism has been hijacked by the Tory ruling class as a dog whistle for calling someone anti-white, because they obviously aren't as accepting of Jews as they claim to be.

Don't understand the reason to ask parents what they're voting for. Is it to seek validation or simply try to convince them to change? Never got round to changing my stubborn parent's opinions on anything let alone politics so I spend my time voting for what's right and convincing people who are unsure who to vote for.
I did with family - the trick is not to get emotional and just know your stats. Unfortunately the general public is extremely maths illiterate and have a very short memory (perfect combination for right wingers) - so you show them how the police recruitment promises won't fill the years of cuts, or how the bursary funds makes a mockery of their doctor/nurse NHS targets.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I thought having relatives who vote Lib Dem was bad enough, I don't know how I would cope if I was related to an actual Tory.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I did with family - the trick is not to get emotional and just know your stats. Unfortunately the general public is extremely maths illiterate and have a very short memory (perfect combination for right wingers) - so you show them how the police recruitment promises won't fill the years of cuts, or how the bursary funds makes a mockery of their doctor/nurse NHS targets.

Sounds like your family operates based on logic and reason. Mine don't. They'd repeatedly respond to your statistics with some other (sometimes unrelated) negative aspect they've heard about the opposing party and then continue to spew counter bollocks over and over until you either give up or fuck up thereby asserting superiority by acknowledging that their own choice/opinion is 100% correct.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Should we tell Boris he could have a permanent majority for the next 10 years if he kicks out Scotland and Northern Ireland? I mean, without those seats, Labour has no chance in hell.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Man, I thought having relatives who vote Lib Dem was bad enough, I don't know how I would cope if I was related to an actual Tory.

My family and extended family Facebook's are always a fucking mess at times like this. I even had one of my older cousins threatening to fight his own Uncle once. Scottish Tory voters elicit a rage in others like nothing else.

A lot of the olds in Scotland simply back the Tories due to tradition/being the strongest Unionist party now that Labour is dead here. You can't argue against that with empathy or even facts. It becomes religious for many people and at times like that you have to decide whether you simply don't talk politics with said family members, or you create a scene constantly.

It's not always easy, even although most on Era claim attacking your own family and abandoning them all is the only answer acceptable.

Should we tell Boris he could have a permanent majority for the next 10 years if he kicks out Scotland and Northern Ireland? I mean, without those seats, Labour has no chance in hell.

Scotland is a huge monetary asset to the UK, they're never kicking us out no matter how many English memes exist on Twitter saying to get rid of the moaning Scots for not backing the Tories/going on about indyef.

But it would be nice to see more progressive English support for Scottish independence. In order for that to happen though people in England need to verbally state they'd be happy seeing part of the Union escape the nightmare. That's sometimes hard to do when you feel like you can't be the one to escape.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
It amazes me how much of the UK is just fine with Johnson hiding in fridges and straight up dodging all public press, Andrew Neil's a cunt but he is 100% right, if Johnson can't contend with the (incredibly soft on Tory) British press, how can Johnson face down world leaders who will straight up dominate him through sheer rhetorical or charismatic force (Putin/Xi/Trump).

Dec 4, 2017
London

A powerful video just released by labour. Here's the facebook link if you want to share: https://www.facebook.com/JeremyCorbynMP/videos/2458741067733642/

We really need to get these fuckers out.

Christ, that is powerful. That bit at the end had me welling up.

I've spent a few years on and off, and a few months more intensively, talking my Dad around. Had to show him the stats proving that his seat was worth fighting for, too, but tomorrow he'll be voting Labour in Amber Valley.

Same. My dad is a retired GP with a reasonable pension (he retired early though, so not the full one) who lives 7 months in France and 5 months over here in a mobile cabin. He's gone from being agnostic on Brext to virulently anti-Johnson.

Sadly the same can't be said of my Mum, who refuses to engage on anything to do with politics and just bangs on about her cats. If we get into anything even approaching a discussion she will turn anything at all into a Whatabout Labour ("You've only lived through one Labour government etc etc"). The other week she literally screamed 'Well what about Corbyn he's a MARXIST" at me down the phone. Christmas is not going to be fun this year - just me, my tribally Tory mum and my borderline fascist Scottish aunt.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
My family and extended family Facebook's are always a fucking mess at times like this. I even had one of my older cousins threatening to fight his own Uncle once. Scottish Tory voters elicit a rage in others like nothing else.

A lot of the olds in Scotland simply back the Tories due to tradition/being the strongest Unionist party now that Labour is dead here. You can't argue against that with empathy or even facts. It becomes religious for many people and at times like that you have to decide whether you simply don't talk politics with said family members, or you create a scene constantly.

It's not always easy, even although most on Era claim attacking your own family and abandoning them all is the only answer acceptable.

lol those threads are always fun

I converse with a lot of people (outside of family) who I know don't share my views - I've given up trying to convince people outright but drop the occasional line that makes it clear that I disagree/view things a certain way.

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
If he's able to form a minority government of some sort, I don't think it would make sense to step down. It might even do some good when people see that the sky hasn't fallen because he got into number 10. Someone else should lead Labour in the next general election though.
Yeah ok that's a fair point, if he can form a coalition or minority government then good but otherwise I'd still say he should step down.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Any idea what the most reliable tactical voting sites are? I was going to go Labour in my constituency but now a few of them have popped up last minute saying Lib Dem. It's really frustrating as this is probably gonna split the vote further and ensure the Tories get in :\

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
lol those threads are always fun

I converse with a lot of people (outside of family) who I know don't share my views - I've given up trying to convince people outright but drop the occasional line that makes it clear that I disagree/view things a certain way.

It's often harder because you either know or might have first hand experience of said family members being kind/caring or even having helped you directly. Sometimes I guess it just depends why they vote how they do and if you can shelf it whilst still occasionally challenging them without fisticuffs/saying you won't speak to them ever again.

As I said in Scotland a lot of it is to do with the Union. Some people voting Tories who don't even really like or support them feverishly just to try and keep the UK together. Look at the 2015 SNP result to see what happens here when Scots think indyref is dead. "We better vote on policy again!".

Don't get me wrong, if I had Rangers Orange Order loyalists in my family who take part in the marches/go off to Ireland to do so, they'd be "deleted" from my life. Thankfully, while I have Rangers fans in the family, the majority are Celtic and those that are Rangers aren't total Orange Order nutters.

Sectarianism is a cancer in this country, but I'll take fans of either club who aren't total bellends if I have to.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017

It still baffles me why so many are prepared to vote for the decimation of the UK and the ruination of their lives and the lives of others.

Some are simply voting to 'get Brexit done' (which will take many years), some because they believe the Tory lies in the mainstream media, some because they've 'always voted Conservative', some because they 'like Boris' and others because they are completely ignorant about politics and believe a soundbite or two which incorrectly says that Corbyn is antisemitic while choosing to ignore all of the antisemitism and general racism in the Tory party.

I'm not sure how to describe such people. Foolish? Stupid? Selfish? Gullible? Ignorant? Or all of those?

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Any idea what the most reliable tactical voting sites are? I was going to go Labour in my constituency but now a few of them have popped up last minute saying Lib Dem. It's really frustrating as this is probably gonna split the vote further and ensure the Tories get in :\
Yes its terrible. I'd say the best we have is to go with the yougov MRP: https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2019/

Search your constituency and see who's predicted to be highest.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
It amazes me how much of the UK is just fine with Johnson hiding in fridges and straight up dodging all public press, Andrew Neil's a cunt but he is 100% right, if Johnson can't contend with the (incredibly soft on Tory) British press, how can Johnson face down world leaders who will straight up dominate him through sheer rhetorical or charismatic force (Putin/Xi/Trump).

Between Trump and Johnson. It will be a great time to be an autocrat/dictator!

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
It still baffles me why so many are prepared to vote for the decimation of the UK and the ruination of their lives and the lives of others.

Some are simply voting to 'get Brexit done' (which will take many years), some because they believe the Tory lies in the mainstream media, some because they've 'always voted Conservative', some because they 'like Boris' and others because they are completely ignorant about politics and believe a soundbite or two which incorrectly says that Corbyn is antisemitic while choosing to ignore all of the antisemitism and general racism in the Tory party.

I'm not sure how to describe such people. Foolish? Stupid? Selfish? Gullible? Ignorant? Or all of those?

Don't forget arrogance, and the worst one: pride - can't be seen as backing down now.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

This gives an overview of the recommendations from all the tactical voting sites. Also definitely use the numbers from the latest YouGov poll to make your decision.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019

This gives an overview of the recommendations from all the tactical voting sites.

Fake news

Consituency selected: East Dunbartonshire | Change

Your Smart Vote should go to

YOUR PREFERRED PARTY

Vote Smart says:
The Conservatives are highly unlikely to win here on December 12th. This seat is a contest between the SNP and Liberal Democrats. We say, you can be comfortable voting for your preferred party.

SNP are 1% behind Swinson. Any ethical tactical voting site should push the SNP.

The only moral thing Scotland can do to put a smile on English faces this election is dethrone Swinson.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
There's a new kind of racism about.

It's not for colour, it's not for creed or race, and it's not for religion - it's for opinion. It's racism of opinion.

You are then charged with being of this kind of opinion, and you're ostracised.

People turn around and tell you that your opinion's not worth anything, you're charged with being different to other people.

Leave supporters suffering 'racism of opinion', claims Brexit party candidate

Earlier I quoted the Brexit party candidate in Doncaster North, Andy Stewart, saying he had been a victim of "racism of opinion". (See 10.18am.) The Press Association has now filed his quotes. Stewart said, as a mixed-race man, he had seen racism first-hand. But he claimed the abuse he has witnessed in the past month as a Brexit party candidate had been quite different.

(time stamp 13:51)

Miss Piggy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm really sad that my twenty year old colleague and all her young friends are not voting because she "doesn't understand it all". Also shocked when my thirty year old friend said she doesn't vote because "politics doesn't affect my life".

My boyfriend and I are basically cancelling each other out in our household by voting Labour and Tory in our hotly contested area.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm really sad that my twenty year old colleague and all her young friends are not voting because she "doesn't understand it all". Also shocked when my thirty something friend said she doesn't vote because "politics doesn't affect her life".

My boyfriend and I are basically cancelling each other out in our household by voting Labour and Tory in our hotly contested area.
Try to think of some ways to temporarily incapacitate your boyfriend, e.g. buy him a copy of the critically acclaimed masterpiece ELEX which will surely cause him to lose any notion of time and make him miss out on the vote.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm really sad that my twenty year old colleague and all her young friends are not voting because she "doesn't understand it all". Also shocked when my thirty year old friend said she doesn't vote because "politics doesn't affect my life".

Why is he voting Tory?

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018

It is because most of the British Press are in the pocket of the Tory party and a lot of people simply believe what they are told.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017

You should get them all to watch that video from Jeremy Corbyn I posted here and see what they make of it.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017

Show them this:

and it's on FB too of course:

Deleted member 55689

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 5, 2019
I spoke to someone recently and their whole view was that they were willing to take any economic pain for a long-term reduction in the population. They believed that problems like climate change, housing crisis, declining public services, etc. were caused by an endless desire for economic growth. My argument was that we could just build more houses, hospitals, schools, etc. and that we need immigration to support our current retirement system but they just countered with "well, what after that".

Status
Not open for further replies.