• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I don't it is ignored relative to a lot of other types of racism, but I agree that is definitely still an issue. From what I have seen, gypsies / romani / travellers experience a lot of racism, and were also victims of the Nazi genocide...they are never brought up except often in derision. Now there is an element of society where there still remains a lot of everyday racism. Again, not saying that racism against Jewish people isn't an issue, just that I don't think it shouldn't be treated differently from other types of racism, but I think it is sometimes highly politicised in a way that I find problematic. The issue is dishonest, those pushing it are not primarily concerned about anti semitism in Labour, but rather Corbyn's anti zionist position plus his economic plans, i.e., nationalisation. It is a strategy to prevent him from getting into power [I know you agreed with that, just reiterating my point...]
No offense, but you honestly need to take a step back and think about what you're writing. You keep trying to compare antisemitism to other forms of discrimination for some reason. They're all bad, they all need tackled. Not "Well clearly too much focus is on the Jews!" even if in this particular instance, yes it's being weaponised against a party that is by all accounts led by a man who has spent his career fighting all kinds of discrimination.

The travellers comparison is made slightly more relevant however I guess by the Tory manifesto specifically outlining their plans to increase discrimination against them and introduce laws to harm them further. It's one of those things that makes the "Labour are antisemitic" bullshit that more absurd. The Tories literally put racist shit in their manifesto.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Corbyn responds to Ashworth recording

Jeremy Corbyn has been asked about the leaked conversation between Labour's shadow health secretary Jon Ashworthand a friend.
Mr Ashworth criticised Mr Corbyn in the secret recording, and is heard saying he did not believe Labour would win the election.
Mr Corbyn said Mr Ashworth had "called him straight away" and that the recording on the Guido Fawkes website was "a bit of banter between friends".
Mr Corbyn said Mr Ashworth had said it "was all about reverse psychology banter – as in football".
He added that it was "irrelevant" and added: "The issue is children being treated on the floors of hospital."

Asked if he thinks people would believe Mr Ashworth's claim that it was "banter", Mr Corbyn said: "They can decide for themselves on Thursday whether they want to invest in the health service... or let it be destroyed."

And when pressed about Mr Ashworth's comment that No 10 "will pretty quickly move to safeguard security" if Mr Corbyn were PM, Mr Corbyn replied: "Jon and I have known each other for a very long time and he was actually making some jokes."
He suggested it was an "odd sense of humour" but that Mr Ashworth "makes jokes the whole time".
"Jon Ashworth has done fantastic campaigning for the NHS," he added.

(time stamp 17:03)

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Jeremy Corbyn has been asked about the leaked conversation between Labour's shadow health secretary Jon Ashworthand a friend.
Mr Ashworth criticised Mr Corbyn in the secret recording, and is heard saying he did not believe Labour would win the election.
Mr Corbyn said Mr Ashworth had "called him straight away" and that the recording on the Guido Fawkes website was "a bit of banter between friends".
Mr Corbyn said Mr Ashworth had said it "was all about reverse psychology banter – as in football".
He added that it was "irrelevant" and added: "The issue is children being treated on the floors of hospital."

Asked if he thinks people would believe Mr Ashworth's claim that it was "banter", Mr Corbyn said: "They can decide for themselves on Thursday whether they want to invest in the health service... or let it be destroyed."

And when pressed about Mr Ashworth's comment that No 10 "will pretty quickly move to safeguard security" if Mr Corbyn were PM, Mr Corbyn replied: "Jon and I have known each other for a very long time and he was actually making some jokes."
He suggested it was an "odd sense of humour" but that Mr Ashworth "makes jokes the whole time".

He's such a Top Lad.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017

General election 2019: Conservatives 'see highest rise in Twitter abuse'

Corbyn gets the most, David Lammy and Diane Abbott also see abuse increase (I wonder why; what could those two could possibly have in common), but headline only mentions the poor Tories (bless their cotton socks).

Last edited:

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

General election 2019: Conservatives 'see highest rise in Twitter abuse'

Corbyn gets the most, David Lammy and Diane Abbott also see abuse increase (I wonder why; what could those two could possibly have in common), but headline only mentions the poor Tories (bless their cotton socks).

6e2eb66a-1839-45da-9732-55c4c72f1304.jpg

every blue one disgusts me

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'd be interested to know what their exact definition of 'abuse' is when it comes to the blue ones. The responses that I see by and large consist of people calling out their blatant lies and bullshit; does that count as 'abuse' in their eyes I wonder?

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be interested to know what their exact definition of 'abuse' is when it comes to the blue ones. The responses that I see by and large consist of people calling out their blatant lies and bullshit; does that count as 'abuse' in their eyes I wonder?

Accountability is abrasive to them.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Not exactly a tory friend but lets not pretend there isn't plenty of abuse in the replies whenever boris tweets something. No side really comes looking good out of this.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017

Yes lol. Remember Hancock was physically abused yesterday, and Boris was mentally abused by that reporter.

Last edited:

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I'd feel bad for any abuse Tories get... if they weren't so fucking evil.

They abuse the poor, the disabled, etc and expect us to feel bad for them being 'abused'?

Fuck them.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
i'm not convinced people screaming in the mentions of boris and corbyn's official twitter feeds (not even run by them) counts as abuse. or if it does then it diminishes what we think of when we think of mp's being abused by the public. I.e genuine threats and harassment.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
i'm not convinced people screaming in the mentions of boris and corbyn's official twitter feeds (not even run by them) counts as abuse. or if it does then it diminishes what we think of when we think of mp's being abused by the public. I.e genuine threats and harassment.
Yeah, I agree with this mostly.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017

Respect for JC

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
This Labour right story involving Guido and now the punch hoax too. Maybe people should stop communicating with actual fucking nazis like Guido (outside of exposing them), especially when they're in the media? Even that's too low a bar I guess.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
I couldn't find the current paper, but a previous one defines it as follows:

"We focus on tweets using obscene nouns ("cunt", "twat", etc.), racist or otherwise bigoted language and milder insults ("you idiot", "coward"). In this way, we define "abuse" broadly; "hate speech", where religious, racial or gender groups are denigrated, would be included in this. But we do not limit our analysis to hate speech. We included all manner of personal attacks and threats, but not obscene language (e.g. "fucking", "bloody") as it is less likely to be targeted at the politician personally."

If only Andrew Neil had not pestered Boris for an interview, the accurate awful "coward" remarks and the PM's hurt feelings could have been avoided. I suppose this also applies to Javid dodging the McDonnell head to head, and possibly others.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
No offense, but you honestly need to take a step back and think about what you're writing. You keep trying to compare antisemitism to other forms of discrimination for some reason. They're all bad, they all need tackled. Not "Well clearly too much focus is on the Jews!" even if in this particular instance, yes it's being weaponised against a party that is by all accounts led by a man who has spent his career fighting all kinds of discrimination.

The travellers comparison is made slightly more relevant however I guess by the Tory manifesto specifically outlining their plans to increase discrimination against them and introduce laws to harm them further. It's one of those things that makes the "Labour are antisemitic" bullshit that more absurd. The Tories literally put racist shit in their manifesto.

My point was that yes all racisim is bad and comes in different forms. However, the specific focus in the media on antisemitism related to the labour party is unwarranted. There is no evidence to suggest that there is any more antisemitism in the party than other forms of racism, and it is being highlighted solely for political reasons. I don't think we are disagreeing. Probably poor articulation from my side.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't think tactical voting will be as big as expected.
I'm pretty sure in the UK tactical voting is done based largely on the polls and is visible through polling movements. So there may be some additional tactical voting on the day, but it's for the most part already played out and priced in.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
The rise of Twitter/social media has certainly made it easier for people to abuse MPs/political figures - can imagine that it'd take a toll on the individual.

Let's just say that those wanting to become active in politics probably have to have far thicker skins nowadays, which is a shame.

Interested to see the MRP later though. Always worth remembering that regardless of whatever it says, there could be a shock on the day. Especially given how many marginal seats there are that could rest on a tiny percentage of the electorate choosing on the day.

C'mon optimism.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a Bibles worth of literature from the Lib Dems in Wokingham in the last two weeks, plus a very vicious attack leaflet targeting "two jobs John Redwood" that didn't have an obvious source.

I'll probably hold my nose and vote for them. Having an ex-MP who defected from the Tories running here is probably the best bet to unseat the Conservatives. I'd rather not see either of them in Parliament but I absolutely loathe Redwood.

Krypta

Oct 29, 2017
I've had a Bibles worth of literature from the Lib Dems in Wokingham in the last two weeks, plus a very vicious attack leaflet targeting "two jobs John Redwood" that didn't have an obvious source.

I'll probably hold my nose and vote for them. Having an ex-MP who defected from the Tories running here is probably the best bet to unseat the Conservatives. I'd rather not see either of them in Parliament but I absolutely loathe Redwood.

47PL5c6.png

Edit: The 40ish% tactical voters according to the Britain Elects poll would swing this seat.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.