• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Can't wait for my last shred of hope in this country's population to flutter away this Thursday.

Living in Northern Ireland is magnitudes more frustrating, of course, as the only actual choices are a staunchly hard Brexit Unionist party hated by all well-minded people, and a Nationalist party who would never sit in Parliament and are therefore totally useless. We're the nation which will be affected most severely by Brexit and are totally fucking paralyzed.

Eh, 'totally useless' downplays the fact that SF has been working hard to ensure concessions are obtained in the event of Brexit, as evidenced by some of the changes to the Brexit deal concerning the north. Important shit in this place doesn't normally happen in the House of Commons via votes anyways. See the GFA for example, which was discussed and negotiated on behind the scenes. Besides, even from a neutral perspective, better a neutral progressive MP than an actively harmful one, AKA a DUP MP. Depending on where you live, I'd hope you vote against the fiends regardless.

Also, taking their seats in parliament would mean jack shit if the Tories got a majority anyways.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, 'totally useless' downplays the fact that SF has been working hard to ensure concessions are obtained in the event of Brexit, as evidenced by some of the changes to the Brexit deal concerning the north. Important shit in this place doesn't normally happen in the House of Commons via votes anyways. See the GFA for example, which was discussed and negotiated on behind the scenes. Besides, even from a neutral perspective, better a neutral progressive MP than an actively harmful one, AKA a DUP MP. Depending on where you live, I'd hope you vote against the fiends regardless.

Also, taking their seats in parliament would mean jack shit if the Tories got a majority anyways.

Gonna be doing what I can, but in my constituency, the 2nd place Alliance candidate is 20'000 votes being the DUP candidate. It's a sad state of affairs altogether.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Gonna be doing what I can, but in my constituency, the 2nd place Alliance candidate is 20'000 votes being the DUP candidate. It's a sad state of affairs altogether.

Westminster constituencies are weird af like that. See 2010 in the north of Ireland for further info on how fucked the FTFP is. I legit sympathise with ya, the sheer lack of contest in some constituencies is horrible. Hell, it actually actively benefits my constituency and it still makes me feel bad for it. :c

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Had a Tory try campaign at our door this morning. Had the cheek to ask for 5 minutes of my wifes time while shes on the phone to the local mental health services since shes been having suicidal thoughts thanks to the austerity flung uppns us by these cunts.

I'm glad I didnt answer tbh, I think I'd have been aiming for him to swallow his teeth.

Deleted member 55689

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 5, 2019
So the Guardian has a piece where it's said that Jewish voters are turning away from Labour "in droves". I wonder how long until Israel states that voting for Labour is AS.
Maybe I've just led a sheltered life but I really don't see antisemitism as a big problem in the UK. Until this election I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention it and I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything antisemitic in person. Other forms of discrimination on the other hand...

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I've just led a sheltered life but I really don't see antisemitism as a big problem in the UK. Until this election I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention it and I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything antisemitic in person. Other forms of discrimination on the other hand...
It gets a lot less publicity usually but it is definitely a big problem in the UK. That it's relatively unknown by a lot of people makes it worse.
That it also gets muddied by people lumping in any criticism of Israel doesn't help either.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017

It's there, it's just much harder to spot/behaves differently. For starters, despite the stereotypes, Jewish people aren't easily visually identifiable compared to other minorities. Antisemitism in the UK is, generally, a lot more subtle and dog-whistley.

A good example of this is how a lot of people talk about George (((Soros))). The way people have talked about him drips with the antisemitic tropes of Jews hoarding money and seeking to control the global order.

Personally, as a Jewish person myself, I'm just disgusted that the Tories, the media and their ilk have cynically used the subject of antisemitism to further their own political agenda. Not to say Labour doesn't have a problem - it clearly does. But, the far right disingenuously screeching about antisemitism on the left does a massive disservice to victims of hate crimes, and makes it harder in future for people to discern what systemic prejudice actually is.

Oct 25, 2017

Anti-semitism isn't as overt as discrimination against other more visible minorities. It's more often the "Jews controlling the media/economy" type of comments rather than "We should control Jewish immigration" type.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Yes it is fucking insane. I hear casual racism and homophobia, sometimes on a daily basis. I work in a bookies and yeah... the demographic of customers doesn't help. The only people I see being regularly antisemitic are all the fascist "alt right" fucks online that you see getting shown up, and they're definitely not voting for Labour.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I've not seen a whole lot of anti semitism, I've definitely seen some ofcourse but not a common thing.

There isn't really a huge Jewish population here tbh, I've only worked or met like 10 Jewish people I know of I think that's probably why I see very little of it. Islamphobia is much bigger but the Muslim population is also much bigger here.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
we don't need to minimise anti-semitism to make the point that the media and public and political establishment don't take racism seriously in general (they don't). the jewish population in the uk is small and is geographically concentrated in a few areas so if you are away from that you are less likely to see it.

yet there has been an increase in physical and verbal attacks in recent years in the uk, damage of jewish cemetries, threats to synagogue's and rabbi's. it's a disgrace. no-one jewish has benefited from their status being forced into labour's forever internal war and the racist comments thrown at them as a result.

Madouu

Oct 25, 2017
I think the figure (correct me if I am wrong) is that around 70% of British Jews vote for the conservative party. The Jewish vote in the UK is traditionally centre right, unlike in the US for example, where it favors the Democratic party.

The anti-semitism attacks on Labour have more of a suppressing and chilling effect on would-be voters rather than on the Jewish population specifically.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
I had to do it go nuts
lKSqUVZ.png

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The amount of people I know decrying "Antisemitism in the Labour party" while simultaneously sending memes about Hitler and spouting (((Soros))) conspiracy theories is depressingly high.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I think the figure (correct me if I am wrong) is that around 70% of British Jews vote for the conservative party. The Jewish vote in the UK is traditionally centre right, unlike in the US for example, where it favors the Democratic party.

The anti-semitism attacks on Labour have more of a suppressing and chilling effect on would-be voters rather than on the Jewish population specifically.
That's the goal of the right wing, make the majority of people think the left are all raging bigots. They don't give a shit about racism.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I felt the same, but I didn't just assume it wasn't a big deal for that reason.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018

I regularly see Jewish Labour supporters bullied and called traitors

Don't forget how damaging this smear campaign has been to black Jews too.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018

not quite, there's been a really big change in the last decade

we don't have accurate figures for jewish votes but from polling pre-election done for the jewish chronicle

2010, under brown (pro-isreal, moderate) - 31% labour, 30% tory (more pro labour than country itself)

2015, under miliband (pro-palestine, centre-left, jewish) - 69% tory, 22% labour (vastly more pro-tory than the country itself)

then corbyn has declined further as everyone knows, but the really big change took place pre-corbyn and is due to the importance of Middle east foreign policy among a large part of that community (but certainly not all)

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland

we don't have accurate figures for jewish votes but from polling pre-election done for the jewish chronicle

2010, under brown (pro-isreal, moderate) - 31% labour, 30% tory (more pro labour than country itself)

2015, under miliband (pro-palestine, centre-left, jewish) - 70% tory, 22% labour

then corbyn has declined further as everyone knows
Wtf@the ed drop, damn.

Madouu

Oct 25, 2017

2015, under miliband (pro-palestine, centre-left, jewish) - 70% tory, 22% labour

then corbyn has declined further as everyone knows

Thanks for the additional figures. So it is mostly a matter of stance on Israel/Palestine and social policies which I think I have noted during the height of the Anti-semitism attacks on Labour during this campaign.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot believe those idiots are still claiming they are going to crash us back to another election if they get the chance. It's unbelievable. To what end? What are they hoping will happen in the next election? I still think they are lying because it just isn't remotely a cromulent policy.
One of the stupider elements of this policy is that although they may well be lying, but at this point, the people who still intend to vote Lib Dem are on board with those lies. If the Lib Dems turned up to parliament with enough MPs to play kingmaker and then voted for (say) a Labour minority government, that's technically a betrayal of a promise to their voters regardless of how stupid that promise was.

That's why I think it's a real position - and I think that the most likely explanation for how it's still their position is that they don't expect to ever have to enact it. If there's a Johnson government they can claim to have been anti-Johnson all along. If there's a Corbyn government they can claim to have been anti-Corbyn all along. They don't expect to have to fight another election that they themselves have caused and probably are deliberately trying to avoid thinking about how fucked they'd be in that scenario.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, these people, the UK is lost

source
the guardian

This quote and another related on made me realise that Boris will probably get a bump in the polls because he is a bloke. There is a not unsubstantial set of (mostly men) who will vote for him because "I could have a pint with him".

This quote sums it up. He seems "working class" even though he absolutely doesn't.

No amount of racism or ineptitude will ever dissuade people like this. Unless he does something that negativity affects them they will base their decision on some arbitrary weighting of good blokeyness.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
Thanks for the additional figures. So it is mostly a matter of stance on Israel/Palestine and social policies which I think I have noted during the height of the Anti-semitism attacks on Labour during this campaign.

edited in the sources, if people want to follow them as it's an area without firm numbers and just extrapolation from polls (often change in a campaign as we've seen recently and can be wrong)

those would likely be the big obvious causes of the big miliband drop, unless i am missing something due to not being a member of that community.

though undoubtedly there has been a significant drop in support for labour among left leaning jewish voters that backed ed miliband because of the anti-semitism scandal. though it's important to put figures like 93% of jews don't support corbyn in context.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018

2015, under miliband (pro-palestine, centre-left, jewish) - 69% tory, 22% labour (vastly more pro-tory than the country itself)

then corbyn has declined further as everyone knows, but the really big change took place pre-corbyn and is due to the importance of Middle east foreign policy among a large part of that community (but certainly not all)

Depressing. Ed was pro palestine in the sense that he wanted to acknowledge their existence through a symbolic motion. Didn't back any BDS movements, was against language questioning Israels right to exist....

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest fear is that we are piling on votes in already secure seats. The distribution of the Youth vote is also very important we shouldn't be complacent, this is a uphill battle and a repeat of 2017 isn't guaranteed.
And even a repeat of 2017 isn't good enough. Labour (with others) needs to do well enough to be able to form a government. It's no good if the outcome is "Hung parliament but the DUP/LibDems prop up the Tories."

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
And even a repeat of 2017 isn't good enough. Labour (with others) needs to do well enough to be able to form a government. It's no good if the outcome is "Hung parliament but the DUP/LibDems prop up the Tories."

LibDems will not prop up the Tories but yh we need to do better than 2017, ensure that a Tory+DUP alliance will not have enough seats to form a majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.