• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
Labour needs something to happen, praying Donald Trump sees the video and has an outburst or something. Otherwise the Friday Debate will be Labour's last chance to land a blow on Johnson and it will need to be a solid one.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
One of the "new" hospitals the Tories are pledging to build is the one I was born in in 1990:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/50579557
My kids were born in one of them too.
And this is one of the big six "real" hospitals, not one of the paper planning consultations that the Tories are claiming as hospitals.

But I guess knocking down a couple of old buildings and putting bigger ones up counts as a "new hospital" these days. I'm not sure it even counts as a new wing, since it seems to be replacing one of the old ones. And this is only "new" because the government seem to have cancelled funding for it earlier this year and have now reversed their decision (I'm sure they would have done this regardless of an election, right?)

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017

We took a closer look at p48 of the Tory manifesto...
@maitlis
: Is this a shifting away from a legal framework, to a political framework?
@LordCFalconer
: It is... so if Mr Johnson becomes PM again, he won't be restrained by the courts from acting unlawfully

the above is in relation to this:

"On page 48 of the Conservative manifesto for the general election, "Get Brexit Done. Unleash Britain's Potential", there are the following seemingly fair-sounding and innocuous words: "

""After Brexit we also need to look at the broader aspects of our constitution: the relationship between the government, parliament and the courts; the functioning of the Royal prerogative; the role of the House of Lords; and access to justice for ordinary people. The ability of our security services to defend us against terrorism and organised crime is critical. We will update the Human Rights Act and administrative law to ensure that there is a proper balance between the rights of individuals, our vital national security and effective government." "

Last edited:

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
The first election I ever voted in was the one where Tony Blair got in.I can't describe how great the next day felt. Like true change had happened and the Tories were gone.

That's the only time I have voted in the UK and will probably be the only time. I left the country and became very disillusioned with the Labour Party under Blair, especially once the wars started. At the time it was a real pain in the arse to organise voting from foreign parts (I remember getting a form from the Embassy, it was huge and required someone somewhere to vouch for me being British) and so I just pretty much gave up. Now I have been out of the country for longer than fifteen years and so can't vote (despite the Tories promising votes for life in a Queen's speech and then managing to filibuster it themselves when it was at its third reading).

So I have a 100% record and probably always will. Unless those votes for life really do materialise some day.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Panorama: Universal Credit - One Year On was scheduled to air on Monday.

It didn't. It has disappeared in to the BBC abyss. I'm sure it was just human error.
it got dropped for the Epstein one this week and next week is a Question Time special in place of panorama so it's just not going to air.

If only the BBC had some other means of putting programmes out.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
it sounds like he's saying that the remain vote will on the day back labour as voters have to stare down the barrel of a hard brexit

i guess this late movement happened in 2015 where messaging about snp-labour coalition swung voters behind the tories very late on.

i want to believe

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Never had a win:

2010 (first): voted Lib Dem, as a student swept up in Cleggmania. Tories "win"
2015: voted Lib Dem as I was in a safe Lib Dem seat, and I wasn't super politics literate at this point beyond "the Tories suck, huh?". Lib Dems lost the seat to the Tories and Tories won the election.
2016: voted Remain, Leave won.
2017: voted Lib Dem grudgingly, as I'd moved to a safe Tory seat and they were the only competition anywhere near. Tories keep the seat, Labour almost get the same percentage of the vote as the Lib Dems, and the Tories "win" the election.

I voted Lib Dem since I turned 18, my mum voted Lib Dem/Labour, my grandparents voted Lib Dem throughout their entire lives.

Fuck that party. Clegg ruined any faith they had with the vast majority of their base after jumping into bed with the Tories. Continually saying "We can work with Labour, just not their leader" for the best part of 15 years as well just goes to show how morally bankrupt they are. I will never, ever vote LD again. They stood for a lot of what I believed in, then went back on it the second they had a sniff of power with Cameron.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it sounds like he's saying that the remain vote will on the day back labour as voters have to stare down the barrel of a hard brexit

i guess this late movement happened in 2015 where messaging about snp-labour coalition swung voters behind the tories very late on.

i want to believe

I think polling is going to be an important factor. I'll vote Labour if the polls show them ahead of the LD's in my seat (and vice versa obviously). Nationally, that would result in a swing to Labour from other remain parties, given their rises, albeit that they have stalled. I'm not sure that is something we will have seen before. There has always been tactical voting but brexit has to amplify the effect because brexit has an effect on everyone, whereas 'keeping out the Tories' only really, directly, affects the marginalised, which makes it easier to vote positively for a party even if you know they won't win because the stakes are lower personally.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

sounds like they're giving up on that Andrew Neil interview then. pathetic.

"We have acted in good faith throughout" laughable

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
[

Interesting that Curtice seems to be more convinced of a hung parliament than the current polling suggests, although I might be reading into his comments too much.
Saw this yesterday I believe is litterally just saying what most people hear have been saying. Labour has successfully risen up the polls by squeezing the Lib Dems whereas the Tory's have capped up their brexit party and leave support. There's still 6% left to be potentially squeezed and since the win condition of this election is deny a Tory majority rather than gaining more seats than the Tory's the 20% remain vote the lib Dems still have will make all the difference in a hung parliament Vs a majority.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I just worry with how bubbled Twitter can be. With Corbyn's tweets for example even the stuff over the 10k likes barrier, how many of those are the same users liking every time. Or viewing? Stuff like this is key to winning people over but on the surface we don't get to see how it's getting to people to aren't activists.

Have there been party political broadcasts yet? I forget when they come in to play.

Oh of course. What I've tried to do is to compare numbers and seek out the same videos from labour on facebook too. Indeed the metrics and viewcount of those vids are very positive and usually match or outstrip Twitter. Labour has only stepped up its hold on online media this election.

There are other online platforms, but tbh the big, gigantic two suck up the vast majority of the online discourse.

I have seen their election vids on gaming sites AND YouTube before videos play.

Mark de stefano of buzzfeed did some tweets to the most popular videos online from the parties. Labour won 2 or 3 out of the weeks out of the 4.

I would link those vids. But 1. Fuck facebook and 2. Twitter is much easier and better at presenting video.

Last edited:

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
Social media is the domain of people who are significantly less likely to vote, though I appreciate your nan is probably more likely to use Facebook than Twitter.

u3UquiD.png

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
I voted Lib Dem since I turned 18, my mum voted Lib Dem/Labour, my grandparents voted Lib Dem throughout their entire lives.

Fuck that party. Clegg ruined any faith they had with the vast majority of their base after jumping into bed with the Tories. Continually saying "We can work with Labour, just not their leader" for the best part of 15 years as well just goes to show how morally bankrupt they are. I will never, ever vote LD again. They stood for a lot of what I believed in, then went back on it the second they had a sniff of power with Cameron.
And yet I've just voted for them again

FPTP is trash

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
And this is why Labour sink in Scotland

Chained to Westminster which is chained to an English voting base who are nuke crazy.

Yup. My constituency is usually a contest between Labour and SNP with Labour currently in charge. Undecided between them, I was leaning towards voting Labour at the start of the election campaign but not anymore. Sturgeon seems to be the only sane leader that stands by her principles whether its brexit, trident and things that matter to Scotland.

Oct 27, 2017
This. I despair at the power people give the polls. They've been getting it wrong since at least 1992 (when Kinnock was supposed to beat Major).

Even before, in terms of overstating winning margins. Somehow, the idea that polls being out is the exception rather than the rule has taken hold, and I think that's because usually the winning party has a poll-proof advantage so it's not really flagged up. Polls in 2017 were no more out than in, say, 2005, but the difference is that while Labour's lead tended to be significantly overestimated, the final 3% margin was enough to secure them a comfortable majority.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018

"at no stage did we tell the other parties that a [date] for boris was confirmed" 100% means they spent the whole time telling the other parties that boris was doing it

genuinely if they can't sack rob burley for his incompetence shattering any claims of impartiality during an election they need to be binned completely

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
This made me smile lol:

" Q: Your manifesto largely protects middle-earners. Is that right?

McDonnell says he wants a fair tax system.

At the last election he was accused of having a magic money tree.

Now the Tories have a magic money forest.

If there is a magic money tree, it is in the Cayman Islands. He says Labour will dig it up and bring it back to the UK. "

(time stamp 11:34)

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
I've never had a win in a GE.

Naively uninterested in politics so followed my parents voting Tory in 1997 and 2001. Didn't vote in 2005 as was between addresses.

Since 2010 it's been Labour and, well, here we are.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Johnny Mercer met someone who is mentally unwell and he thinks 'she's on the right track in life"?

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Yup. My constituency is usually a contest between Labour and SNP with Labour currently in charge. Undecided between them, I was leaning towards voting Labour at the start of the election campaign but not anymore. Sturgeon seems to be the only sane leader that stands by her principles whether its brexit, trident and things that matter to Scotland.

Corbyn is already struggling to get a majority, telling the English voting base he would be scrapping Trident and spending the 200 billion on traditional defences and public services would cause us to have MASSIVE TORY GAINS. Just shout Putin at British people and they'll line-up like gammons to say "Press the button!". Even Jo Swinson thought the best campaign move was to sound almost excited to "Press the button!".

But it just goes to show yet again how the SNP can stand behind their principles and get majorities in Scotland whereas Labour need to try and play some game of centrism for enough of the UK to get on board. The same move that has actually killed them in Scotland 🤷‍♂️

Scotland is diverging from the UK and no one seems to give a shit other than the Scots.

I mean, look at this

0clK7Dt.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Oh of course. What I've tried to do is to compare numbers and seek out the same videos from labour on facebook too. Indeed the metrics and viewcount of those vids are very positive and usually match or outstrip Twitter. Labour has only stepped up its hold on online media this election.

There are other online platforms, but tbh the big, gigantic two suck up the vast majority of the online discourse.

I have seen their election vids on gaming sites AND YouTube before videos play.

Mark de stefano of buzzfeed did some tweets to the most popular videos online from the parties. Labour won 2 or 3 out of the weeks out of the 4.

I would link those vids. But 1. Fuck facebook and 2. Twitter is much easier and better at presenting video.

Facebook having good numbers is a good sign! It'd be good to know what TV, billboards, leaflets, and door knocking are doing but suppose that can be more anecdotal, and the actual data comes out later. I'm holding on to hope that the activists and campaigners being energised is actually penetrating undecideds too.

The best we can hope for with this is Neil himself making a strong statement about how Boris is weak or something. Don't even know if he finds this to be much of a problem though.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sturgeons only principle is independence, they might try and talk about other policies or initiatives but the SNP are pretty much a one policy party, and that has been a detriment to Scotland as a whole. Dont mention their records on education or health and certainly dont mention cronyism or nepotism - just brush that shit under the carpet.

The worst thing is they are probably the best bet here in Scotland which just shows how catastrophically bad the other parties have been.

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
Why the piss is that racist frog doing an interview with Neil if he's not standing?!
They interviewed Sturgeon too in the same series, so, must be leaders interviews.

Still, based on the rest, Farage getting roasted rather than an easy time might be cathartic to watch. I probably won't be bothered to watch, mind.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Sturgeons only principle is independence, they might try and talk about other policies or initiatives but the SNP are pretty much a one policy party, and that has been a detriment to Scotland as a whole. Dont mention their records on education or health and certainly dont mention cronyism or nepotism - just brush that shit under the carpet.

The worst thing is they are probably the best bet here in Scotland which just shows how catastrophically bad the other parties have been.

Records on health? Yeah, the NHS is hurting everywhere, but don't let the stats hit you on the way out when you see the Scottish NHS is the best performing in the whole UK.

I do enjoy going through University free of charge too.

Claiming the SNP has been a detriment to Scotland and they don't do anything other than independence is some prime bullshit. At the very least they have protected us from the rest of the UK continually voting Conservative. Not to mention they campaigned well during Brexit and got Scotland to vote remain.

But the SNP don't do anything for anyone other than independence!

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
They interviewed Sturgeon too in the same series, so, must be leaders interviews.

Still, based on the rest, Farage getting roasted rather than an easy time might be cathartic to watch. I probably won't be bothered to watch, mind.

Farage has been roasted in quite a few interviews, but he just goes into loudmouth golfer mode and doesn't give a fuck. It's amazing how little he knows about the subject he pretends to really care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.