• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Agreeing to this GE was such a mistake. I'm not looking forward to the fucking politicians ruining Christmas as we head into 2020 knowing a hard Tory Brexit is imminent.

I'm not feeling positive today, this game is rigged.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agreeing to this GE was such a mistake. I'm not looking forward to the fucking politicians ruining Christmas as we head into 2020 knowing a hard Tory Brexit is imminent.

I'm not feeling positive today, this game is rigged.
I am forever reminded of the months of Brexit discussions in the Brexit thread with all of the "Corbyn is playing the long game" posts.

And here we are...

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I am forever reminded of the months of Brexit discussions in the Brexit thread with all of the "Corbyn is playing the long game" posts.

And here we are...

what was the alternative?

It was further delay and uncertainty or Boris' deal would have been passed.

Election was the only shot at something better.

I also think if there was no GE, the boris deal would pass eventually.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And here we are...
Unfortunately when most of the media lean right you need to pick your shots on when to make the biggest impact with your message. That means for now touring the four nations and doing just the pitch. It's when debates start if he comes without fire then we will see nothing of note for Labour.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The alternative was to seize the day, particularly when the Tories were really fucking it up and make hay while the sun shone.

Corbyn made no hay, and he needed a lot of hay for an inevitable election, and he even ended up in the situation where he wasn't prepared for the election, and he HAS NO FUCKING HAY.

I knew this would happen "we'll just do what we did last time" yeah well there's no Glastonbury Jeremy, you managed to piss off Grime4Corbyn, your youthquake is more of an apathetic tremor.

Just..... there were so many opportunities to play the game and he chose not to.

Edit: If it's a Corbyn majority I'll happily eat crow, but it's not looking positive is it?

Last edited:

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017

And here we are...

A second referendum was impossible with the current parliament numbers. A general election was the only way for the public to have some sort of say. If the people vote in a majority Tory government we just need to accept that England and Wales want a harsh Brexit per the constraints of our fucked up democratic system.

Then hopefully Scotland decides to say fuck you forever.

Streamlined

alt account
Banned
Sep 16, 2019
The alternative was to seize the day, particularly when the Tories were really fucking it up and make hay while the sun shone.

Corbyn made no hay, and he needed a lot of hay for an inevitable election, and he even ended up in the situation where he wasn't prepared for the election, and he HAS NO FUCKING HAY.

I knew this would happen "we'll just do what we did last time" yeah well there's no Glastonbury Jeremy, you managed to piss off Grime4Corbyn, your youthquake is more of an apathetic tremor.

Just..... there were so many opportunities to play the game and he chose not to.

Edit: If it's a Corbyn majority I'll happily eat crow, but it's not looking positive is it?
There's literally nothing Corbyn, or any other leader for that matter, could have done differently that would have Labour looking likely to be getting a majority. They have stopped us leaving the EU and left the possibility of remain through a second referendum, however.

Streamlined

alt account
Banned
Sep 16, 2019
I honestly wonder if people think there some magic words Corbyn could have been saying that would have completely changed the media landscape that is so heavily weighted against Labour.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly wonder if people think there some magic words Corbyn could have been saying that would have completely changed the media landscape that is so heavily weighted against Labour.
I'd go with no?

cbjbosg4hux31.jpg

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Anyone listen to R4 this morning?

They managed to get Tom Harris on who did his normal "Corbyn hates the UK" rant.

To be fair, there was a moment of pushback (isn't Corbyn usual right about these things in hindsight) but then just allowed him to continue to spout shit.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018

And here we are...

on one hand we'd be in a much better position if corbyn had been able to hold his position on brexit, keep honouring the result with a soft brexit and split the leave vote instead of handing it all to the tories for free. boris has a weak position helped dramatically by being the only way to deliver a leave result. also if he'd followed his instincts and taken an earlier election instead of letting boris unify the party with his deal then the battleground would be much better.

however it's also a rubbish long game if you eventually get a policy you don't want foisted upon you by losing the internal argument over brexit and are so weak internally on the issue you feel you have to give in to galaxy brain idiot mp's on your number one priority over an election

do think any analysis that doesn't acknowledge that both the corbyn strategy (triangulate on brexit and let the tory party implode by blocking any tory brexit) and the establishment remain strategy (rubbish any compromise brexit on gamble for getting a second referendum through last parliament as only way out of gridlock) have completely failed is particularly honest. most likely odds are that they will both fail in their goals.

there's also been a massive failure from both sides to acknowledge how contingent the success of corbynism was on remain and vice versa outside of unproductive whining about how ppl wish they weren't inextricably linked (which i have been guilty of as much as anyone tbf).

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
on one hand we'd be in a much better position if corbyn had been able to hold his position on brexit, keep honouring the result with a soft brexit and split the leave vote instead of handing it all to the tories for free. boris has a weak position helped dramatically by being the only way to deliver a leave result. also if he'd followed his instincts and taken an earlier election instead of letting boris unify the party with his deal then the battleground would be much better.

however it's also a rubbish long game if you eventually get a policy you don't want foisted upon you by losing the internal argument over brexit and are so weak internally on the issue you feel you have to give in to galaxy brain idiot mp's on your number one priority over an election

do think any analysis that doesn't acknowledge that both the corbyn strategy (triangulate on brexit and let the tory party implode by blocking any tory brexit) and the establishment remain strategy (rubbish any compromise brexit on gamble for getting a second referendum through last parliament as only way out of gridlock) have completely failed is particularly honest. most likely odds are that they will both fail in their goals.

there's also been a massive failure from both sides to acknowledge how contingent the success of corbynism was on remain and vice versa outside of unproductive whining about how ppl wish they weren't inextricably linked (which i have been guilty of as much as anyone tbf).

This is a spectacularly bad reading of the last three years. Like, from start to finish.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Looks like Lib Dems might self implode due to their own stupidity and people wonder why others say they might not be rational actors in regards to labour

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
for all people like to call corbyn a dictator they sure want him to have forcefully overthrown the government somehow

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the BBC live news thing

Boris Johnson has been meeting some of the victims of the floods in South Yorskhire.

On his walkabout, though, some onlookers could he heard shouting "you took your time" and "where have you been?"

A woman working to shore up flood defences snubbed Boris Johnson's attempt to talk to her about the work.

The audio was a bit indistinct but she can be heard saying "I'm not talking to you" and "you've not helped us".

You hate to see it

edit

Last edited:

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
corbyn's line about how the tories would have treated the flooding if it took place in Surrey seems to have cut through

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Possibly but they had the chance of amending it. I think this election was a huge mistake. Its letting Boris have what he wants. A "mandate" for a hard Brexit and dragging Britain towards the far right USA model. I find it sickening we are here. I really hope I'm wrong and that Boris does not get what he wants.

If he does though, then the Labour party must immediately reform to once again turn themselves into a credible and electable force. There is no point in them pretending that they are if they cannot defeat this abomination of a Tory party.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
Possibly but they had the chance of amending it. I think this election was a huge mistake. Its letting Boris have what he wants. A "mandate" for a hard Brexit and dragging Britain towards the far right USA model. I find it sickening we are here. I really hope I'm wrong and that Boris does not get what he wants.

If he does though, then the Labour party must immediately reform to once again turn themselves into a credible and electable force. There is no point in them pretending that they are if they cannot defeat this abomination of a Tory party.
Amending it to do what? We had tons of votes on ways to try and improve deals, cancel deals, get second votes, get customs unions, there's no majority in parliament

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Nearly half the country find the tories to be a great party that represents their values.

People can keep complaining that its the oppositions fault but reality is that just like America, roughly 35%-40% of the electorate have been brainwashed by right wing media to support these sort of parties and policies.

If people like you think this is something easily changed without moving towards being like the tories then you are severely mistaken. If we want to actually have a left wing government it's gonna take a lot of hard work and most likely legislation to prevent the media from being able to continue spreading their bullshit as they have been for decades.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK

Are you auditioning for a character on the Thick of It?

Status
Not open for further replies.