• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So looking on BBC...which of these will Conservatives even do:

So if we do end up with a Conservative majority government, what promises did the party make, and when did they say they would deliver them?

The party has promised to bring back the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement Bill (that's the deal on the terms of leaving the EU) to Parliament before Christmas and to leave the EU by the end of January 2020.

They say they will negotiate a free trade agreement with the EU in time to come into force in 2021. It usually takes years to negotiate a free-trade deal and, allowing time to have everything agreed, this would have to happen within five months.

By January of the same year they will also roll out an Australian-style points-based immigration system. The exact shape of this system still remains to be seen.

The party has pledged to change the sentencing rules for those convicted of terror offences within 100 days and for perpetrators of violent or sexual offences that carry a life sentence at some point down the line.

By the end of 2022 they say they will have increased the number of police officers by 20,000, pushing numbers almost back up to 2010 levels.

And, also by 2022, they say they will create 10,000 more prison places. The prison system is currently around 8,000 people over safe capacity.

The Conservatives have pledged to have 50,000 more nurses working in the NHS by 2024-25 (by recruiting from the UK and overseas, and by making sure nurses who would otherwise have left the profession stay working for longer). They also promise 6,000 more GPs in England by 2024-25.

One of the more contentious claims has been the promise that the Conservatives will build 40 new hospitals, given money has only been provided to refurbish six - with seed funding for 34 to make plans. They say they will do this over the next 10 years which takes them past this Parliamentary term.

This one is just funny:

"It usually takes years to negotiate a free-trade deal and, allowing time to have everything agreed, this would have to happen within five months."

Like do we really think this will be this quick?

twofold

Oct 28, 2017
Reminder that labour refused to work with the 'unite to remain' folks to avoid splitting the remain vote -

Was there any prospect of involving Labour?
Unite to Remain confirmed that they approached Labour early on in these discussions, but were "very heavily rebuffed" by senior figures on the front bench. This is partly because of the Labour Party's own rules, which preclude pacts.

Things would have probably gone better tonight had they agreed to work with the other parties.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed Bercow taking a steaming shit on the rags posing as newspapers just now.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Need sleep. Every Scot who helped keep the Tories in, enjoy the next 5 years!

I'll be back with the "told you so". Keep my seat warm.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Forgive the drive-by from US PoliERA...

Kudos to SNP. Like seriously. I also see that Northern Ireland is entirely local parties (though I can't recall if that was already true).
...Good luck, y'all.
Fishing towns in Aberdeen voting Brexit/Tory. It's hilarious.

Enjoy!
That'd be the UK equivalent to heavy agriculture states still supporting Trump despite him directly hurting their economies with China trade garbage, and climate change starting to ruin things more frequently. People voting to punch themselves in the junk, basically.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Statistically those in labour to conservative seats likely know someone who voted Tory. I hope you're all giving them short shrift from now on. Honestly fuck England. Fuck racists. Fuck England rugby. Fuck England football. Fuck our prospects at the Tokyo Olympics. Fuck elderly brexiteers. Fuck people who fear immigration. I'm having a baby next year. Fuck people who decided I'd be bringing it in to a world where that will be much more expensive and where the outcomes will be worse under a Tory government, where 99% of schools are facing further cuts. My sister's ex husband and his family are Tories - we are still civil for the sake of my nephew, but that ends tomorrow. His granny is a stupid, myopic, blind Tory cunt and I'm going to tell her so. I don't want people like that in my life.

And so it's clear I'm equal opportunities with the dispensing of fucks - fuck the Lib Dems, fuck the centrist labour turncoats, fuck class traitors who have forgotten what the Tories visited upon their communities not 30 years ago, and fuck those who steered the Brexit choice in the wrong direction inside Corbyn's team. We can now all clearly see it was fantasy to try and bring people together in racist little England. Fuck this country. And fuck the Tories. I hope their reign is fucking miserable for everyone who voted for them.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Forgive the drive-by from US PoliERA...

Kudos to SNP. Like seriously. I also see that Northern Ireland is entirely local parties (though I can't recall if that was already true).
...Good luck, y'all.

That'd be the UK equivalent to heavy agriculture states still supporting Trump despite him directly hurting their economies with China trade garbage, and climate change starting to ruin things more frequently. People voting to punch themselves in the junk, basically.

Yep, NI's dominated by regional parties, British parties never really won anything here outside of the odd election many decades ago.

And yeah. Damn. At least your fascist didn't win the popular vote...

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm just finding solace in the fact the Brexit Party prevent Tories from taking other seats. Good job dividing the racist votes you cunts.

Corbyn was never the right leader for Labour.

Looks like we have 4/5 more Tory years because Corbyn wanted to sit on the fence for Brexit

Fuck off your twat. You're the reason the Tories have power right now.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Scotland on 46 seats, 4 left. We won't hit 50 though because there is a Lib Dem stronghold up north.

That waster Davidson has escaped.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Doesn't really matter. 41 was the common polling figure.

It's hilarious to see Lib Dems in particular already manoeuvring to try and deny IndyRef 2.

Not up to you, Willie Reneeeeeeeee!
This is the 3rd or 4th election SNP have been the largest party or won (Scottish elections) with a referendum in their manifesto.

It's clear what we want, fuck those obstructive cunts.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
My Tory prick MP increased his share here

31,830 Con vs 20,133 voting to other parties

Really inspires us to get out and vote when all non-Tory voters know even if we pooled our votes together we still wouldn't win here 🙃

Magni

Could someone explain Wales to an outsider like me? I remember it voting Leave in 2016, but only one Labour seat there went to the Tories. Why did Labour resist better in Wales than in the "red wall" in the north I keep seeing mentioned in the media?

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
This is bollocks.

It was clear at the halfway point of this election that Labour were not doing what they did in 2017. Instead of accepting that, many went into full denial and stayed within the leftist twitter echo chamber. Alot of excuses as to why Labour were not gaining like they were in 2017 and why they will still get enough seats. It's bollocks.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
What have you done UK friends? This is not how this is supposed to work at all. I'm so disillusioned about common sense of people when it comes to.politics. Next stop is four more years of Trump I guess...

Oct 28, 2017
What a fucking mess. I was expecting a Tory majority, but I wasn't expecting it to be so huge.

The only upside to any of this is seeing Jo Swinson and Chuka Umunna lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.