• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
What? Slightly up on Switch? Ugh. Fellow Switcherinos, please stop buying this cashgrab :-/

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
the only thing more disgusting than EA's moneygrabbing tactics are people who fall for that.

they deserve to have their money taken from being that dumb.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Seems like a pretty good result for EA. With the rise of digital, only a 7% drop in boxed sales is very good indeed. I expect EA Access on PS4 to have also contributed to a higher digital split.

the only thing more disgusting than EA's moneygrabbing tactics are people who fall for that.

they deserve to have their money taken from being that dumb.

For first time buyers, it's still a better value at $60 than the likes of MARIO Tennis Aces, New Super MARIO Bros U and 1-2 Switch.

Value erodes for return buyers, but that's the unfortunate reality until EA ports Frostbite over to the Switch.

when you make a console with the power profile in the region of the last gen consoles, it's hard to escape legacy last gen ports.
Konami doesn't even bother to port fox engine over to bring PES to the Switch.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seeing Switch sales go up disgusts me. Rewarding EA of all companies with this cashgrab is horrifying.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Seems like a pretty good result for EA. With the rise of digital, only a 7% drop in boxed sales is very good indeed. I expect EA Access on PS4 to have also contributed to a higher digital split.

For first time buyers, it's still a better value at $60 than the likes of MARIO Tennis Aces, New Super MARIO Bros U and 1-2 Switch.

Value erodes for return buyers, but that's the unfortunate reality until EA ports Frostbite over to the Switch.

when you make a console with the power profile in the region of the last gen consoles, it's hard to escape legacy last gen ports.
Konami doesn't even bother to port fox engine over to bring PES to the Switch.

NSMBUD is a better value for first time buyers. it's a full game + DLC. it's only a bad value if you already had it on Wii U.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Unsurprisingly, FIFA 20 has topped the UK boxed charts in its first week on sale.

It is comfortably the biggest release of the year, although physical launch sales are down slightly compared with FIFA 19 (a drop of 7% year-on-year).

The PS4 version of the game accounted for 61% of the sales, with the Xbox One edition accounting for 38%. The Nintendo Switch 'Legacy' version accounted for 1% of sales.

The PS4 physical version attracted fewer sales this year, with both the Xbox One and Switch versions enjoying a slight increase in sales.

The Xbox One version was boosted by a special hardware bundle available from GAME, Amazon and the Microsoft store. The All-Digital Xbox One S was bundled with FIFA 20, Minecraft, Sea of Thieves and Forza Horizon 3 for £169.99. This meant that Sea of Thieves rose from No.21 to No.7 (up 199%), Minecraft on Xbox rose from No.22 to No.9 (up 197%) and Forza Horizon 3 increased 183% and is at No.10.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
With EA Access' new addition to PS4 these numbers are predictable. Wouldn't be surprised if a great percent of that drop are yearly FIFA buyers who jumped on EA Access.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With EA Access' new addition to PS4 these numbers are predictable. Wouldn't be surprised if a great percent of that drop are yearly FIFA buyers who jumped on EA Access.
I barely see a point in discussing that as we don't know how successful EA Access on PS4 is. I would rather make the point that digital adoption is a reason for the drop. It only rose on Xbox because of the bundles.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
I barely see a point in discussing that as we don't know how successful EA Access on PS4 is. I would rather make the point that digital adoption is a reason for the drop. It only rose on Xbox because of the bundles.

It's most likely a combination of both.

EA Access on PS4 -> People try the game for 10 hours -> They buy the game via PSN.

EA digital share is at 47%, growing every year, it's safe to assume that FIFA 20 digital split is pretty high as well.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
A 7% drop at retail seems like a really good result. I feel bad for switch owners paying full price for a roster update but the daft sales even increased slightly is kind of funny.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's most likely a combination of both.

EA Access on PS4 -> People try the game for 10 hours -> They buy the game via PSN.

EA digital share is at 47%, growing every year, it's safe to assume that FIFA 20 digital split is pretty high as well.
Thing is we didn't hear anything about EA Access on PS4 in terms of success but we can of course count EA Access being a part of people moving to digital so it doesn't matter in the end anyway.

I am more surprised that there were bundles of Fifa 20 for Xbox One - did Sony not go for the exclusive marketing again?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Thing is we didn't hear anything about EA Access on PS4 in terms of success but we can of course count EA Access being a part of people moving to digital so it doesn't matter in the end anyway.

I am more surprised that there were bundles of Fifa 20 for Xbox One - did Sony not go for the exclusive marketing again?

FIFA 20 was bundled with XB1S ADS this time, so the sales from all those bundles are technically digital.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bet it's nothing and digital sales will be through the roof.

Probably not. It's the usual trend of FIFA where it fails off at the end of the gen with the middle is the peak.

Plus digital is £20 more expensive than physical and EA Access doesn't even make up that difference. I doubt the majority of FIFA buyers will jump at that.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Probably not. It's the usual trend of FIFA where it fails off at the end of the gen with the middle is the peak.

Plus digital is £20 more expensive than physical and EA Access doesn't even make up that difference. I doubt the majority of FIFA buyers will jump at that.

the digital ultimate edition had a 10% discount if you purchased from the FIFA 19 hub and then you could get another 10% off via EA Access

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I really wish this meant something, but sadly they probably just all bought it digital :/

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK

There were 'unofficial' bundles with all the different models of the XB1's with FIFA included as a separate copy as opposed to a hard bundle like Sony had which had a copy of FIFA in the box. I'm guessing the XB1s digital version did okay seeing as FH3 + Sea of Thieves are in the charts but you could also get a 1TBs Gears 5 bundle/extra controller bundle with FIFA and Division 2 thrown in for £199 and there were XB1X bundles with FIFA thrown in as well.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There were 'unofficial' bundles with all the different models of the XB1's with FIFA included as a separate copy as opposed to a hard bundle like Sony had which had a copy of FIFA in the box. I'm guessing the XB1s digital version did okay seeing as FH3 + Sea of Thieves are in the charts but you could also get a 1TBs Gears 5 bundle/extra controller bundle with FIFA and Division 2 thrown in for £199 and there were XB1X bundles with FIFA thrown in as well.
That explains the rather good split for the Xbox version of FIFA, at least in terms of physical sales.
It also explains why Division 2 got a bump in physical sales.
The S being 169£ with FH3, SoT and FIFA was and is definitely a very attractive bundle. I guess a trial for gamepass is also included.

gambra

Oct 27, 2017
That explains the rather good split for the Xbox version of FIFA, at least in terms of physical sales.
It also explains why Division 2 got a bump in physical sales.
The S being 169£ with FH3, SoT and FIFA was and is definitely a very attractive bundle. I guess a trial for gamepass is also included.

I got the XB1 SAD deal for £161 off eBay with Fifa 20, a second controller, SoT, Forza & Minecraft which was a bargain. I've sold on every code & the extra controller already and bought Game Pass Ultimate for like 14 months for less than £100 all in which makes it an unreal price for me.

Fifa, SoT, Forza & Minecraft are all just digital codes on pages but they're considered retail sales as they're through proper shops. Fifa was packed separately but the other games are the standard packed in games in the console box.