• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
My gf left London to go stay at a friend's up north lol.

Seriously can't handle a bit of sun.

I was in CeX yesterday in the south west and there was a guy from Newcastle selling something and you could see he was visibily melting. Sweat pouring out, trying to pull his t-shirt every 5 seconds for air.

I know it's TikTok but perfectly illustrates the point.

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know what a domestic A/C installation costs here? I know that's a bit of a loose request, but just on a rough per room basis inc wiring. Just want to get an idea before I start calling around.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
You know it's odd when you go for a walk at 8am in a t-shirt and shorts and it's warm... in Scotland.

Half of my town's underwater from last night's storm as well so the whole things weird as fuck.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
It was already 26 driving in to work this morning, so much for it being cooler today

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what a domestic A/C installation costs here? I know that's a bit of a loose request, but just on a rough per room basis inc wiring. Just want to get an idea before I start calling around.

got a quote for £2500 for a split unit - outdoor unit + 2 indoor units fully fitted. Seems about in line with what I was expecting. This is for good stuff (Mitsubishi)

single split for one room maybe £1500 fitted?

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
In Aberdeenshire we had some wild lightning through the night and some loud thunderstorms after 7 this morning with tons of rain. Lots of flooding.

Now it's roasting with no breeze at all. It hasn't cleared things up at all. disappointed.gif

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
got a quote for £2500 for a split unit - outdoor unit + 2 indoor units fully fitted. Seems about in line with what I was expecting. This is for good stuff (Mitsubishi)

single split for one room maybe £1500 fitted?
That's quite pricey. That's more than double the cost of the equipment.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

yep. Additional parts (piping, wiring etc) can add a chunk, and labour if it's a couple of guys for a day that's nearly a grand right there

you can get DIY ones but I'd rather get it properly fitted and get a reliable brand with 7 year warranty

(Mine will be paid for by GWR by not having bought a season ticket since March so while it's expensive I'm sort of ok with it)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I thought they were an easy install with only one small hole to drill, i might forget that idea then if it requires a proper installer to do it.

^answered above. thank fuck for that.

DIY ones should be closed, prepressurised systems with pipes that click into place to unlock the gas etc (if you see what I mean)

two pipes with insulation from the outside unit to each indoor - one inflow, one exhaust. The power to both units from somewhere (eg spur off your mains). You may need a pump to ditch any condensate outside too - not sure about that part

doable if you're handy with a core drill and don't mind fiddling with your electrics

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought they were an easy install with only one small hole to drill, i might forget that idea then if it requires a proper installer to do it.

^answered above. thank fuck for that.
Yeah the closed unit ones seem ok (where you don't need the system to be pressured, it's just connect and go), and I know someone who can help me. Was looking at installing a 3-way and a 2-way unit to sort out upstairs and the living room, which was less than £2000 in equipment total. It's just that it'll require some messing around with wiring but just feeding off the lighting ring in the roof should work.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
DIY ones should be closed, prepressurised systems with pipes that click into place to unlock the gas etc (if you see what I mean)

two pipes with insulation from the outside unit to each indoor - one inflow, one exhaust. The power to both units from somewhere (eg spur off your mains). You may need a pump to ditch any condensate outside too - not sure about that part

doable if you're handy with a core drill and don't mind fiddling with your electrics

Not keen on fiddling with electrics but the drilling is going to be a lot easier than the big hole i had to drill for a venting pipe.
Come October i will forget all about it again.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear the weather guessers have gotten worse. The closer we get to the supposed end of this fucking heatwave bullshit, the more they revise their earlier predictions upwards.

All that technology, and they routinely seem to hedge their bets on every prediction. And are incapable of pinpointing a storm, so they just go "fuck it, storm's everywhere". Have yet to have a drop of rain in south east Essex, I'm real close to sacrificing my first born to the old gods for some respite.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Trying my hardest to find a good portable AC but silly sod I am they're all out of stock

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
In Aberdeenshire we had some wild lightning through the night and some loud thunderstorms after 7 this morning with tons of rain. Lots of flooding.

Now it's roasting with no breeze at all. It hasn't cleared things up at all. disappointed.gif
In Fife and the thunderstorms were crazy overnight. I was on my laptop yesterday evening and one blast of lightning was right outside. Everything just went pure white followed very quickly by a truly epic crack of thunder. I was dazed for a while, car and house alarms were set off and my house internet died.

Absolutely roasting this morning. I had an appointment for a haircut so I'm thankful it isn't pishing doon although the path through the local park is totally flooded and my feet got soaked. There was no way I was missing that appointment lol. Drying my feet in the sun now and I hear some more rumbles of thunder...

Last edited:

Bora Horza

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Falkirk roads were a disaster this morning, loads of flooding and some roads even looked like they were about to burst with the water coming up. Now it's roasting!

Heard about the train derailing in Aberdeenshire, hope it's not too bad.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Every year I say I'm gonna buy some air conditioning.. one day it will happen. Wonder if there's gonna be any price drops during winter

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Falkirk roads were a disaster this morning, loads of flooding and some roads even looked like they were about to burst with the water coming up. Now it's roasting!

Heard about the train derailing in Aberdeenshire, hope it's not too bad.

It sounds seriously unfortunately - although it doesn't seem like there's too much information about it at present.

Worrying, though.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
How bad for the environment (and my neighbours) if i sit in my car on the drive for half an hour? Wi-Fi should reach from the house so I could 'wfc'

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
We had lightning and really heavy rain early this morning (3am), but it's all sunshine today - has to be the most humid all week and it's still not the hottest part of the day, urgh.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to work out whether today feels worse than yesterday so far, or if I've just had enough and the constant heat has made me feel worse.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
One more day of this crap until the rain returns, having it briefly last night was so good. Went for a lovely walk for the the first time since testing positive with Covid and having gone past the 2 week self-isolation. I want more walking without melting now damn it.

Jul 19, 2018
I swear the weather guessers have gotten worse. The closer we get to the supposed end of this fucking heatwave bullshit, the more they revise their earlier predictions upwards.

All that technology, and they routinely seem to hedge their bets on every prediction. And are incapable of pinpointing a storm, so they just go "fuck it, storm's everywhere". Have yet to have a drop of rain in south east Essex, I'm real close to sacrificing my first born to the old gods for some respite.

'hedging bets' is kind of inevitable with ensemble forecasting. Thunderstorms in particular are a nightmare, it's like trying to predict exactly where and when a bubble will appear in a pot of boiling water.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
My phone telling me after today my area (south east) is in for 10 days straight of rain and thunder, but still 25+ each day. Going to be muggy as hell.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK

maxresdefault.jpg

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Tomorrow will be the last day (in the Netherlands at least). Long term forecasts have the temps at 21 degress celsius during the day. Phew!

This heatwave was pretty crazy and broke a bunch of records. Delivering mail is pretty intense in this weather lol.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just south of Manchester- last night's storm was spectacular, I've never seen anything like it. Sky constantly strobing with lightning for about two straight hours, and rolls of thunder that shook the house. Biblical.
Sadly it has brought little reprieve today as it is fucking boiling once again. Even the AC is struggling. I hate this.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I had the car AC on 16C and full blast again today, not sure how long the coolant will last using it like this lol

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
23°C in the North-East, and I'm sitting in an air-conditioned office.
*Shrugs*
Outside is a bit rubbish though. My back starts sweating after about 10 minutes in it.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I ordered some Ben & Jerry's because if I have to eat ice cream to stick it to the Tories, then it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Trying to persuade a 3 year old that a fan in her room is a great idea and failing miserably :(

Go get a car repaired. Double the cost of parts would be a dream lol.

All depends how much you can do yourself or want to do yourself. Also it would be cheaper per unit to get say 5 installed rather than 2 now and 3 next year etc.

I said 2 years ago I think that if we had another summer like that I'd get it for the bedrooms at least. It's not been as prolonged but it's definitly still on the to do list.