• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017

And with that, its earned my £50 yearly sub.

For those not aware, particularly those in the US, it had been unknown up to this point whether The Simpsons would be on the service for the part-European launch. Disney advertised it for the upcoming launches in its lineup announces......... exceeeeeept in the UK. Sky and Channel 4 are the current rightsholders to the show in the UK, with Sky getting a three-year headstart on episodes shown in the UK before Channel 4 does. And the show was not referenced in the UK launch lineup

But then yesterday, the Disney+ UK Twitter posted this as a tease, indicating that it could be on its way for launch. And now it's official! Woohoo!

Jager

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Aren't the versions on there cropped poorly though?

Or am I thinking of something else.

EDIT:

Yup:

Apparently Disney have said they're going to fix it though, have they?

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
These being the zoomed and cropped versions is a shame, but £50 a year for the entire Simpsons catalogue is too good to pass up. Everything else is a bonus.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
I already own all the seasons I want to own - you can keep a good two thirds of those 600 episodes, honestly - but this will definitely make it easier to throw The Simpsons on to help me get to sleep.

Soon I won't even have to stand up anymore.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Simpsons is the primary reason I'm gonna subscribe, it's been years since I've watched those first 13 seasons

But if they aren't the proper aspect ratio at launch I'll just hold off, especially given the fact they're going to release Mandalorian weekly for whatever inexplicable reason

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly cannot wait. This is such a bonus. I have the DVD's but I wore them out due to repeat viewings.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao what? That's really stupid. Most of us who wanted to watch Mando but had to wait already watched it through..."other methods".

I think this is a given after they tweeted this.

It'sabsolute rubbish as well there's no rights issues to hold up their original shows
And companies wonder why piracy is such a widespread issue? If people just had easy ways to legitimately access content they'd reduce it by a bunch.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Brilliant, I was always going to subscribe seeing as we subscribe to Disney life already so every new boost now is a bonus

As long as we get the Imagineering stuff I'll be happy

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Aren't the versions on there cropped poorly though?

Or am I thinking of something else.

EDIT:

Yup:

Apparently Disney have said they're going to fix it though, have they?

I was honestly shocked at how shit it looks on Disney+. Not only did the widescreen look terrible but it looks stuttery and like it had a filter over it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

It's absolute rubbish as well there's no rights issues to hold up their original shows

It's almost like they don't know the internet exists and that "watercooler talk" takes place on a global level

If they do continue to stagger things out they're just shooting themselves in the foot for literally no reason, it's so baffling

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

It's absolute rubbish as well there's no rights issues to hold up their original shows

I mean - your official, proper, EU disney+ account gives you access to the US one with a VPN so you coudl watch and it woudln't even be piracy, but stuff like this is just inviting piracy. Even redistribution rights holders for big shows try and line up broadcast to be close to original becaues they know they lose viewers if they delay vs US

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

And with that, its earned my £50 yearly sub.

For those not aware, particularly those in the US, it had been unknown up to this point whether The Simpsons would be on the service for the part-European launch. Disney advertised it for the upcoming launches in its lineup announces......... exceeeeeept in the UK. Sky and Channel 4 are the current rightsholders to the show in the UK, with Sky getting a three-year headstart on episodes shown in the UK before Channel 4 does. And the show was not referenced in the UK launch lineup

But then yesterday, the Disney+ UK Twitter posted this as a tease, indicating that it could be on its way for launch. And now it's official! Woohoo!

Disney exec: We need at least ONE frame from modern Simpsons in the promo vid.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
It's almost like they don't know the internet exists and that "watercooler talk" takes place on a global level

If they do continue to stagger things out they're just shooting themselves in the foot for literally no reason, it's so baffling
The reason why The Mandelorian was spread out wasn't about watercooler talk, it was so people wouldn't blast through it all in the first month and cancel after.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Having all 600+ episodes of The Simpsons reads more like a threat than a benefit. Just put up seasons 1-10.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
What about Disney+ Germany? They don't seem to have a Twitter account.

Would love for the Simpsons to be there too, haven't seen the first 10 seasons in a decade or so.
They don't have Twitter, true, but they seem to have Instagram, and they have the donut teaser there, so I think it's fair to assume it will be there as well.

Feb 24, 2018
The reason why The Mandelorian was spread out wasn't about watercooler talk, it was so people wouldn't blast through it all in the first month and cancel after.
But then what is the point of it now though when it's been out for months and is easier and cheaper to get via less legal means then? If they said had specific regional programming that wasn't in the US one I'd get it, but this is stuff that's been out for months now and just like to encourage piracy then get customers hooked, especially if they continue to do so after the launch periods.

Edit: In fact we've seen how lethal that type of staggered releasing is in the UK where an already delay US show STILL here a weekly release in its UK airing, the X-Files re-launch failed spectacularly here because of this and ended up on the dead slot because most people had already watched the episodes months ago.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
wow that sure is... a choice

I think it comes to the German Disney+ later completely even because of other paid tv services here where it will be shown first.

Which is f'n funny because I logged in via VPN a month ago to try it out and that shit was already watchable in German.

Streaming services and "licenses", you've got to f'n love it. 🙄

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
OK I'm in for The Simpsons. Have they said they will fix the aspect ratio issue? Because that's insane if not.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize it wasn't initially going to have the Simpsons until I saw this news this morning. Didnt even consider the rights stuff with Sky/C4.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly couldnt care less for the Simpsons being on there. Its sucked for years now and is on every single day on two channels here anyway.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I mean - your official, proper, EU disney+ account gives you access to the US one with a VPN so you coudl watch and it woudln't even be piracy, but stuff like this is just inviting piracy. Even redistribution rights holders for big shows try and line up broadcast to be close to original becaues they know they lose viewers if they delay vs US
Good to know, I'll try this out when it launches to see if I can watch all the Clone Wars/Mandalorian episodes that we won't have access to in the UK.

deanna_beanna

Prophet of Truth
May 19, 2019
What about in Germany? Dies this pertain to all countries getting it at the end of the month?