• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017
Across the UK, normally law-abiding people are harbouring a guilty secret.
They are the Covid holiday quarantine-breakers.
They travelled to holiday spots where the beaches were drenched in sun and where coronavirus infections were starting to surge.
When they came home, they didn't shut themselves away for a fortnight. Instead, they broke the law.
We don't know how many people have been ignoring the self-isolation law after coming back from a Covid-19 hotspot. But rates of infection from people who have recently travelled overseas, have been rising, says the Office for National Statistics. Police figures due on Wednesday will shed more light, providing an insight into fines now being handed out for breaching post-holiday quarantines.
But it's clear lots of people have avoided being caught.

In July, Alice, a 20-something office worker from Surrey, was fed up with not having got away on holiday. For the good of her own mental wellbeing, she says, she broke the rules. Sitting in her garden, she confessed her crime to me.

She'd booked a trip to Majorca with a friend. Then, days before she had been due to fly out, the UK slapped quarantine rules on Spain.

"We were basically told by the holiday company that we wouldn't get our money back. I didn't want to lose another holiday and any money. So just decided to go anyway."

When Alice got to Majorca, she decided the self-isolation she'd face on return to the UK would be a nonsense. The hotel was largely empty and reassuringly clean.

"There wasn't really a time, other than when you were eating, on a sunbed, or in your hotel room that you weren't wearing a mask," she says. "It just felt really safe." Alice believed that the virus transmission rate was very low. She was probably safer in Majorca than England, she thought. In fact, the coronavirus infection rate in Majorca had been climbing rapidly during her stay - meaning her risk of catching it had been growing by the day.

So what happened when Alice returned home?

While her job allowed her to work from home, she wondered about the rest of her life.

"So..." she begins, hesitantly, "I isolated for a couple of days. And then I just thought, you know what, I'm fine."

In the fortnight that followed, the critical period of potential transmission, Alice visited family (although not elderly relatives), went on shopping trips and met up with friends in their homes, or a local park.

"I just thought, if I'm going to catch it anywhere [it will be] in England... people aren't following all the rules all the time."

And you were one of them, I point out.

"Yeah," she replies nervously.

She is not alone. Research organised by the BBC last weekend, suggests a hardcore minority of people were not prepared to obey rules on staying at home if the law required. While only 4% of people polled by Ipsos-Mori said they were "very unlikely" or "certain not" to isolate if they tested positive, that rose to 8% for the under 34s. Asked what they would do if they were told by NHS Track and Trace to self-isolate, because they had been in close contact with someone who had tested positive, the refuseniks across all ages climbed to 8%.

On travel, one in 10 said they wouldn't self-isolate after returning from a hot spot - rising to 16% among the under 34s. Meanwhile, a fifth of people said it was acceptable to break the law to go to work - and a quarter said they'd ignore the post-travel quarantine to care for someone in a different household.

_114685753_survey_holiday_quarantine-nc.png

www.bbc.co.uk

Covid quarantine breakers: 'It was selfish but I don't regret it'

Polling by the BBC suggests a hardcore minority would break the rules - Alice was one of them.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
"I just thought, if I'm going to catch it anywhere [it will be] in England... people aren't following all the rules all the time."

And you were one of them, I point out.

"Yeah," she replies nervously.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Sadly it's entirely common. The whole "Well I'll be cautious so obviously this doesn't apply to me" or "Well everyone else is doing it!" mentality of a lot of people is just flat out embarrassing.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should be tracking them like South Korea and issuing massive fines if they break it.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprising. It is a little depressing that I've been going well above and beyond what's required of us out of a sense of social responsibility and in reality all I'm doing is providing extra cover for jackasses to fuck about.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Fucking pricks. First of all to go on holiday in the first place, and then to not quarantine. Literally killing people.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
"So..." she begins, hesitantly, "I isolated for a couple of days. And then I just thought, you know what, I'm fine."

This is the part that pisses me off the most. Everybody knows it takes 2 weeks to see any symptoms. Everybody knows it's physically impossible to know if you're fine or not after a few days. I can't even fathom the heights of idiocy it takes to be capable of this thought. She didn't think she was fine, she just got bored of staying in and decided she didn't give a fuck if she spread it. Utter cunt.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: I have removed this part as it was not the correct thing to say and I said it in the heat of the moment and I apologise, I was angry

I hate my fucking country

I just can't it's so frustrating

Fuck off with the ohhh BOO HOO I CAN'T GO ON HOLIDAY!! I'M SO SAD!!!!!

Last edited:

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
And people wonder why we're still deep in cases.

If we had solidly locked down for several months we could be back to having schools and pubs safely open but nah, we couldn't even get that right. A failure of government leadership, policy and the community arrogance.

I would LOVE to go to all sorts of places and spend my money, but I don't want to risk anything or anyone. I don't want freedom now, I want freedom from the fear of this virus.

Once this is all over we need to have a national psychological evaluation and a reckoning on how news and information are received by us. People choose conspiracy theories over scientists and the government is focused on greed. A poisonous combination.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Those numbers are bollocks.

Every time they've actually looked at it in reality (rather than polling people on intentions), it's shown that far, far fewer people isolate than that.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
What's worse is the woman in the article could have easily quarantined- she works from home. "Well, no one wants to quarantine" Fuck you , you asshole that couldn't be bothered to be inconvenienced for two weeks, I'm one of the at risk and Monday was the first time I'd been out in public since March and that was to get a flu vaccine. Grrrrr, I really should stop reading these stories, they are rage inducing.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's like when we had the first lockdowns, people were encouraged to only go out once a day for exercise or for essential supplies. You had people certain that others walking past were clearly breaking the rules. All to justify to themselves that, if their suspicions that 'everyone' else is, they can too.

We saw a group of parents on a school chat group saying that they'd send their kid in if they had symptoms as they 'were sensible, it was probably nothing'. Everyone's idea of common sense seems to conveniently offer the result of whatever is either least hassle or most desirable for them. Just selfishness and zero concern for public health.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
"It probably was really selfish of me, and I probably won't do it again," she says, sheepishly. "But at the time, I guess you just think of yourself and you want that holiday - but then you don't want to quarantine. No one wants to quarantine.

"And I don't regret it."
P R O B A B L Y

Thanks, asshole.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah a lot of people have the mindset that they're the special exception because they mentally addressed what they were doing and "took the precautions". Not all of them, mind, just enough to justify it to themselves.

It's exhausting really and suggests we aren't going to get anywhere until a vaccine happens, if that even comes to pass at all.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that she did it for a few days and then decided to break the rules makes it even more galling to me.

Just pure selfishness.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
We're so fucked in the UK. Without fail every time I have gone shopping for food there's been people not wearing masks even though it's a legal requirement. I haven't gone into town since March because I don't trust people to wear a mask on the bus.

More often than not it's people in their 40s+ I see not wearing a mask either.

My mum keeps coming home from work, not washing her hands, going out for meals with her boyfriend and inviting him in in the evenings. To top it all off she's also recently started implying that China created the virus.

I'm at my wits end. I don't feel safe here and I can't afford to move out.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I also miss going on holiday and got mine cancelled, but I just deal with it. I just comfort myself with the thought that I am saving more mone ynow so I can do a bigger and better holiday later, when the vaccine is available.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
In Australia you would be sent to hotel quarantine for two weeks because sadly people can't be trusted to do the right thing.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Flouncing the quarantine rules and going abroad for holiday is obviously really bad but you're just an awful piece of shit human being for saying something like this
I agree, wishing death on an innocent person just to teach another person a lesson is very fucked up

You are correct and I apologise I have edited my post

I was extremely pissed off after reading that article I shouldn't of wrote that

I apologise and will try and do better going forward

Oct 25, 2017
Ah the old mental wellbeing excuse. As though literally everyone's mental health hasn't been put under strain over the past six months+.

Oct 26, 2017
The UK is full of selfish cunts, you see that every election. Ahh yes, couldn't go on holiday. What a worry. Whilst the rest of us attend zoom funerals.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I feel like the only one not into travel holidays in the UK; it seems like some weird holy-ish type thing here. My in-laws always have holidays planned and even now they still have trips lined up for places to go in the UK. Even when cases were at there lowest in the UK, I still wouldn't want to risk travel, but it seems like some people just can't help themselves.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Some people really are obsessed with holidays in the UK. I know a guy who flew to Italy for ten days in summer, then complained about how depressing it was having to come home without the prospect of another one on the horizon... to a group of people who've barely left the house in seven months.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
If World War Two happened now the Nazis would have had free reign to bomb any city they so wished, they'd be lit up like Xmas trees! My dad was a child and remembers all windows being blacked out at night. Everyone had to follow it. Severe punishment if you fucked up as you could literally get thousands killed. Not much different but everyone is just sooo inconvenienced these days. Fuck em.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I know people that have done this personally. Actually, one person who has been to Spain twice over the last two months and hasn't quarantined either time come back.

Fucking stupid.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
West keeps losing.
Here in my place, If you go out without a facemask+face shield+exit pass, you get fined and have to do community service.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
This is the part that pisses me off the most. Everybody knows it takes 2 weeks to see any symptoms. Everybody knows it's physically impossible to know if you're fine or not after a few days. I can't even fathom the heights of idiocy it takes to be capable of this thought. She didn't think she was fine, she just got bored of staying in and decided she didn't give a fuck if she spread it. Utter cunt.
Yeah this is such a typical response by people, I remember being on the train before lockdown in March and somebody in the carriage started coughing and then when she was done she laughed and said don't worry I haven't got corona. And I'm just sitting there thinking how the fuck do you know.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They'll be the first ones to complain when a lockdown is forced too. Tossers.

I think it's a huge problem with the UK that they rarely enforce rules, partly because they can't by sheer lack of boots on the ground to enforce it and they likely fear a public reckoning in elections if they start fining people for stuff. It's always power and politics first.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017

Not defending her, she is an asshole, but the average incubation time before symptoms is 5-6 days. An incubation time of 14 days is possible, but much rarer. Some countries have cut down quarantine to 10 days because of that.

They do, up to £10 grand I think? But you have to catch them and how many people are going to snitch on their friends and family?
In theory yes. But enforcement? No chance, simply because there's not enough people to enforce it.
They do, it's enforcing it that's the problem.

Right. They should probably make some public examples where people like this woman gets hit with a fine.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Human selfishness and Covid don't mix particularly well. I say lock them up for a couple of months, see if that does anything for their mental well-being.

Oct 27, 2017
Come on guys, be reasonable here, don't be so harsh. Can you imagine? Not having a holiday? I don't know how I could manage not having a holiday, I might literally die. Poor Alice needed time to get away and you know, who are we to say she shouldn't have a holiday. For her mental health! In the midst of a global pandemic! Against all official advice and all common sense! Have a heart everyone, she thought she was fine! That's good enough for me.

Fuck you Alice, you selfish sow.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, had a couple of Portuguese ladies from work who were originally planning to go home for their A/L. Then it got put on the restriction list and they told everyone they weren't going anymore because they would have to quarantine when they came back and wouldn't get paid because they were told in advance. So following that they started telling everyone they "were going to France..." and then about a week into their holiday Portugal got taken off the list and France got added — and they turned up for work after their hols with tans that they couldn't have gotten in France given the weather.

So full of shit. They got a talking to from management but it amounted to a slap on the wrist imo.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
"Boo hoo I can't stand to stay at home but I also can't stand to isolate after I am back."

Fuck you, people like these are the reason people die.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
At the very beginning of the outbreak, travellers from high-risk areas were quarantined in local hotels for 14 days before they could return home.

Maybe the idea of being frogmarched straight from arrivals to a hotel room would be enough to deter enough people from flying out and trying to sneak back to work/society.