• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
C'mon, people, do some research—5G does not cause COVID-19. *facepalm*
322504.gif

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the conspiracy theories out there. There's a whole lot of them - using 5G for mind control, to remotely fry people's brains and so on.

How? I don't think conspiracy theorists think that far ahead.
I think mass mind control rumors like this are particularly hilarious because if everyone is being mind controlled by something that's constantly surrounding everyone (including the person spouting the conspiracy bullshit) then how does the theory emerge in the first place? Given that if I was going to send instructions to the populace to mind control them, one of the first instructions would be not to question why people are suddenly so obedient. Do they think they were immune for some reason?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I had a conversation with a coworker today about 5g. Its hard to have an actual conversation without calling them a moron when their arguments are wild conspiracy theories and they don't believe anything you tell them. I tried to explain what 5g actually is, but they weren't having it, and insisted it was giving out some harmful radiation of some kind yet they didn't know what it was. They also said they didn't trust 4g either.

After that they tried to explain that the corona virus is a conspiracy and a bunch of other things, and thank god the phone rang and I got out of that conversation.

These people aren't going to believe the truth anyway, so I'd rather not waste my time.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you need to be super close to a 5G tower to even get a signal. Those things are going to be a visual nuisance popping up everywhere.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
cqwf9gpaqf311.jpg

That's an anti electricity propaganda poster from the 1900's. The more things change, the more they stay the same

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
The best one I've heard so far...

The Chemtrail planes have been seeding smart dust, which can then be activated by 5G towers, and can be programmed to give you any number of ailments from aching limbs to the lab-made COVID-19.

4 conspiracies rolled up into one big one.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
I would bet 5 cent that being that the two group are basically two overlapping circle on a venn diagram lol.

and id bet the opposite, that people attaching 5g poles have mostly voted to the left most of their lives. This is why we shouldn't let our personal feelings based on zero evidence cloud judgement.

As i say, ironic in a thread about exactly that, a conspiracy theory, - you cannot see it can you?

It would be an interesting study to see if any particular conspiracy theory correlated to a particular left or right wing ideology

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Bruh, I legit thought this was because of China having its fingers deep in the tech and equipment behind it, backdoors something or another... but this, this is so dumb :/

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
i did not say that, i think some conspiracies would favor left, some right
While conspiracy theorists do land on both sides of the aisle, research and data have repeatedly shown that conservatives are significantly more likely to engage with conspiracy theories. Just look at several of the most recent conspiracy theories movements - birtherism, Pizzagate, Gamergate, etc..

A strong conservative bend to conspiracy theories shouldn't be surprising considering how many are founded in distrust in the government or fear of "the other".

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
i did not say that, i think some conspiracies would favor left, some right

That's weird, because your post before shows you saying that.

Obviously the people who have bought in to being told that anything they don't understand from some foreign place are more likely to act on the impulse that something coming from some foreign place are bad, come on now.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
If he hadn't been furloughed I just know the asshole I work with would be spouting this bullshit and as usual I wouldn't be able to bludgeon him.

oh and he's definitely on the left.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
While conspiracy theorists do land on both sides of the aisle, research and data have repeatedly shown that conservatives are significantly more likely to engage with conspiracy theories. Just look at several of the most recent conspiracy theories movements - birtherism, Pizzagate, Gamergate, etc..

A strong conservative bend to conspiracy theories shouldn't be surprising considering how many are founded in distrust in the government or fear of "the other".

The conspiracy theory you chose to highlight that conservatives are more likely to believe conspiracy theories is Birtherism?

That's a Theory championed by who is now the Republican President of the United States to discredit a Democrat.

I don't think you would get that past an ethics board, let alone published in a peer reviewed journal.

Same with pizzagate.

Do you see why these are bad examples?

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
The conspiracy theory you chose to highlight that conservatives are more likely to believe conspiracy theories is Birtherism?

That's a Theory championed by who is now the Republican President of the United States to discredit a Democrat.

I don't think you would get that past an ethics board, let alone published in a peer reviewed journal.

Same with pizzagate.

Do you see why these are bad examples?
what

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I knew that parts of the country had lost it after the pencil conspiracy, and the idea that MI5 was going to go through the huge effort of altering ballot papers with pencils.

The 5G stuff is at least techno-babble that they genuinely can pretend to be dumb about.

Gulfwarvet

Oct 30, 2017
Got called murders on Wednesday by some inbreeds driving past a site i was on in Donny.

Plus a few cunts, wankers and other shizzle.

Wonder if they will uogeade their phone later on🤔😂🤦‍♂️

As my old man says, "Son, you cant educate pork"

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I knew that parts of the country had lost it after the pencil conspiracy, and the idea that MI5 was going to go through the huge effort of altering ballot papers with pencils.

The 5G stuff is at least techno-babble that they genuinely can pretend to be dumb about.

Oh, that was a hell of a stupid theory, thanks for reminding me of that. Now I'm angry over that one all over again.

Did it never occur to those people that if they were going to alter ballots to get the result they wanted, it would be much easier to just swap the entire bag of votes for pre made fake ones and not go one by one through the whole lot finding any in pencil, and hoping they can convincingly change them.

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
Why conspiracy theories flourish on the right

The researchers found, after examining two large data sets (details in the paper), that the effect of trust is as expected, across the political spectrum. Lower-trust conservatives and liberals are both more likely to endorse ideologically congenial CTs (i.e., CTs that make the other side look bad).

But beyond that, there are interesting asymmetries. For liberals, more knowledge reduces endorsement of CTs, no matter the level of trust, and more trust reduces endorsement of CTs, no matter the level of knowledge — "knowledge and trust are both independently negatively related to liberals' endorsement of liberal conspiracies."

For conservatives, on the other hand, more knowledge increases endorsement of CTs among those with low trust; for high-trust conservatives, knowledge seems to have no effect — it neither increases nor decreases tendency to endorse CTs.

As the researchers say, their results are consistent with the theory "that conspiracy endorsement, and science denial more generally, is a more attractive worldview-bolstering strategy for conservatives than liberals, especially for high-knowledge and low-trust conservatives." That lines up with several other recent lines of research.

B-bu-but BOTH SIDES!
Leave Brexit alone! Leave it alone! I'M SERIOUS!!

/s

Last edited:

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Telecoms worker here. I've had people in cars giving me dirty looks and one guy was staring me out at traffic lights lol.

a guy apparently got stabbed in London, the company have tried to downplay it and imply it was a mugging instead.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
"Say" is such a weird way of talking about a scientists assertion that 5G doesn't give you coronavirus or cook your immune system. Demented Derek from round the way 'says' those things, but through the use of 'fair and balanced' language, the two are put on an equal footing. 5G conspiracist get to point to language like that and almost take it as affirming. We've seen it with 'experts on vaccinations', 'experts on Brexit', 'experts on the curvature of the planet Earth' and other such wilful poisoning of intellectual institutions in polictical discourse and a basic grasp on the concept of reality.

I really wish things could change, but I just don't know how to unfuck a world completely cooked by a media that's just seemingly completely under the influence and at the wheel.

To be honest, if someone sees "Scientists say" and infers some form of equivalence to that bloke on the local Facebook group who posts nonsense, then they're probably too far gone already. A scientist's voice, by virtue of their role in society, should automatically have more weight.

They're also not likely to be getting their news from mainstream sources to begin with. I think debunking it is enough without having to radically change language which is clear to the general population.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
I work for an ISP, doing basic repairs to phone lines but more wifi and connectivity stuff. Needless to say a lot is on hold at the moment because we can't go into properties.

Offered a customer a 4G wifi dongle to keep them going a day until Open Reach could fix an external fault and the first thing I was asked was "it's not 5G is it?"

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
This conspiracy is unfortunately not a UK only thing. It's all over FB for example.
I guess this is the next movement after the flat earth crapfest, wonder what other downright fucking stupid conspiracy some assholes will follow next.

OP
OP
Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Telecoms worker here. I've had people in cars giving me dirty looks and one guy was staring me out at traffic lights lol.

a guy apparently got stabbed in London, the company have tried to downplay it and imply it was a mugging instead.

That's fucked up, sorry to hear.

I work for an ISP, doing basic repairs to phone lines but more wifi and connectivity stuff. Needless to say a lot is on hold at the moment because we can't go into properties.

Offered a customer a 4G wifi dongle to keep them going a day until Open Reach could fix an external fault and the first thing I was asked was "it's not 5G is it?"

🤦‍♂️

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
356.gif

Our society hasn't really moved forward all that much has it. I find the anti-intelligence movement in the Western world really quite concerning.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I genuinely cannot comprehend how this is a thing.

Stupid people get scared, stupid people hear a conspiracy theory - and all of a sudden they begin to notice telecoms workers and infrastructure on the streets that they previously would walk past without a second thought.

I think there's a general ignorance about the sheer amount of infrastructure, and number of people required to maintain it, that keeps broadband routers and 4G signals going - so it probably seems like a "sudden" appearance to these folks.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018

should have Black listed them.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and id bet the opposite, that people attaching 5g poles have mostly voted to the left most of their lives. This is why we shouldn't let our personal feelings based on zero evidence cloud judgement.

As i say, ironic in a thread about exactly that, a conspiracy theory, - you cannot see it can you?

It would be an interesting study to see if any particular conspiracy theory correlated to a particular left or right wing ideology
in the same way not everyone that voted for brexit is a racist but all the racist definitely did, this is 100% a right-wing conspiracy born out of a racist mish mash of reporting about China (Huawei/COVID). Don't take it personally.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
my point is that it's just forum members projection , the hypothesis thatpeople who attack 5g masts are brexit supporters,

none of this is based on any evidence other than personal feelings, which is ironic given the main topic of this thread.

well, statistically speaking it is more probable they voted brexit than against

BobLablow

Apr 18, 2018
Is this like just a UK conspiracy theory or is it also prominent elsewhere? I haven't heard anything in the US but we have plenty of our own weird ass shit dominating the headlines.

you...haven't been paying enough attention then. It's in the US too.

5G has been blamed for nearly everything by the batshit crazy people.

Oct 27, 2017
in the same way not everyone that voted for brexit is a racist but all the racist definitely did, this is 100% a right-wing conspiracy born out of a racist mish mash of reporting about China (Huawei/COVID). Don't take it personally.
Some racists might have been smart enough to recognise the economic harm of Brexit so I'm not sure all of them would have even if the vast majority did.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017

Well we know which ideology is more closely correlated with conspiracy theory.