• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
This was super interesting, thanks for writing it! A friend of mine got a test in Edinburgh and the process was pretty much the same.

This is probably a stupid question, and not one I expect you to be able to answer it's more for the thread at large, but given one of the tests is a tonsil swab, does having had your tonsils removed make that one...more difficult? Hopefully I'll never need to find out first hand lol

You just run the swab around the area where the tonsils would be IIRC.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I could probably have a go at administering my own test, pausing to throw up in a bucket if I triggered my gag reflex, but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable shoving anything up my kids' noses until I felt resistance. I'd certainly prefer a nurse to do that.

Even my wife, who used to be a nurse, says she'd be rather worried about doing it.

Anyway, it's good to at least know how readily available testing is. I suspect that when / if schools go back, we're going to need to avail ourselves of it at some point before Christmas.

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
Been told my job is at risk and we're entering our redundancy consultation, not looking forward to job-hunting in this market to be honest.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
I could probably have a go at administering my own test, pausing to throw up in a bucket if I triggered my gag reflex, but I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable shoving anything up my kids' noses until I felt resistance. I'd certainly prefer a nurse to do that.

Even my wife, who used to be a nurse, says she'd be rather worried about doing it.

Honestly I've had it done to me a couple of times now, and without that context I know I 100% would not have gone far enough up the nose if self administered

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Sturgeon has apologised for the exam marking which led to lots of grades being adjusted downwards.

Kind of refreshing to hear a politician just straight-up acknowledge mistakes.

Always have more respect for someone who can be open without having to spin at 15000mph.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Sturgeon has apologised for the exam marking which led to lots of grades being adjusted downwards.

Kind of refreshing to hear a politician just straight-up acknowledge mistakes.

Always have more respect for someone who can be open without having to spin at 15000mph.

But now Labour and the Tories are calling for a no confidence vote against the education secretary.

Politics, who'd get involved in it?

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Missed the announcement for Scotland about visors no longer being good enough protection and face masks must be worn instead. When was that? My work Facebook is just filled with more people claiming they can't wear a mask because of their sudden anxiety now.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I thought people might be interested to know what testing is like currently.
TL;DR - booking a test is very easy and fast. Results take a day and a half. However, it's easy to fuck up the test because they are all self-administered and the instructions are a bit vague.

I live near Leeds. My child (pre-school age) had a fever on Thursday night (40.5). She's barely left the house in 3 months, but did play in a pub beer garden on Wednesday. She understands not to go near people, so we didn't think it was covid, but best to be certain.
Googled NHS coronaviusrus testing. Booked a test online in about 10 minutes.
You answer a quick survey (why do you want a test? etc.), give a name, phone number, email and (optionally I think) your NHS number. Also asked your ethnicity (optional).
It asks if you can drive or if you want a walk-in or mailed test.
You can ask for a test for up to four people (we just did one since no-one else has symptoms).
Chose the drive in test, it gave us 3 options within 10 miles.
Booked the test at 9:30 and could chose appointment times in half-hour slots, starting at 10:00.

You get emailed a QR code. Turn up at the centre and get it scanned. Short queue to get seen (like <5 minutes).
Told to keep windows up in the car and talk loudly through the glass. Open the window a crack for them to pass you the test kit and instrructions.
Park up, read instructions and self-administer the test. Told to put your hazard lights on when complete or if you have trouble.

The instructions are kinda vague. Swabbing tonsils is clear, but the nose swab is vague as fuck, "insert up nostril until you feel resistance". The pictures are useless. Literally a picture of a face with the nostril circled and a swab next to it. I know what a nostril is, I don't need help identifying it. How about indicating how far to stick it up there?
Testing a small child is hard. Tonsils are super-hard because of gag reflex (it's optional for small children and it's best to go nose only, for reasons revealed later in this story).
You break off the end of the swab and put the swab in a vial, put the vial in a bag and put that bag in another bag.
Anyway, they check you've bagged it up right, then you seal the bag and drive to the exit. They scan your QR code again, you crack open the window and put the bag in a box.
Job done, took about 15 minutes from turning up to leaving.

So, test completed by 11 o'clock, told it'll take about 24 hours. Results arrived by text/email at 4 pm the next day (Saturday), so just over 24 hours.
Result - "inconclusive, please book another test".
There's no info about why it was inconculsive. I suspect we did the swab badly, so I try and google it. You see wildly different examples in pictures (typically showing you inserting it so far up the nose it's gone round the bend and is now at the back of the mouth, which is frankly impossible) compared to actual videos of trained nurses giving the test (reaching the top of the nose, to an uncomfortable but not unrealistic depth).

We also infer from our googling and finding some NHS nurses' instructional PDF that the tonsil test is the tricky one. The same swab is used for both (tonsils first, then nose) and it's easy to get the swab covered in phlegm from gagging and I think that the large amounts of bacteria on your tongue can mess things up if you tongue touches the swab (and small children will push the swab away with their tongue).

Anyway, we booked another test on Saturday afternoon. No waiting time. Booked a test online at 5 for between 5 and 5:30. Went to a different drive through centre. Not sure if the previous centre was a temporary one due to a possible Leeds hotspot in Gipton or if it's just closed on Sundays. This test centre was much bigger, and practically empty when we turned up.
Same process as last time, so I expect every test centre runs exactly the same protocol. This time the guy handing out test kits suggested not doing the tonsils for my young child. I'm guessing we're not the only people to get inconclusive results.
Got results of the test this morning. So not the next day, but not bad considering we were tested late afternoon and the next day was a Sunday.
Negative, thank god. And my child is back to full health.

So, the testing is working very well. What the government do with the testing data is less clear. I mean, they have it all scanned in and linked to my childs NHS records, so the only problem should be extracting the data. I'm surprised they don't ask for an address. It's on the NHS records, but they are often old (mine were always out of date durign my twenties when I moved house often) and it's probably hard to extract data from NHS databases due to privacy protections. If they just asked for my postcode, it'd make it much easier for them to share the data and identify hotspots.

Anyway, sorry for the super long post. I hope some people found it interesting.

Sweet. I don't have any tonsils so I'm basically immune.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
You just run the swab around the area where the tonsils would be IIRC.
Yes, this is right. The tonsils more of an indicator about the right depth (i.e. past the tongue but no need to ram it into your neck).

I think you can have someone do the test for you, but it is implied that you should at least try by yourself first. The staff are generally not nurses. Seemed to be a lot of young people that may have lost or furloughed their retail/hospitality jobs during lockdown. It was well organised and staff were friendly.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Bollocks to that. I'd have to have someone do it (not least because I'd puke if I did it to myself).
i did the self admin test and was okay with the tonsil bit, despite having a prouty active gag reflex
worst bit is then taking that swab and sticking it up your nose cause well yknow it's a bit gross and smelly

also i kept needing to sneeze it's very tickley up there!

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Missed the announcement for Scotland about visors no longer being good enough protection and face masks must be worn instead. When was that? My work Facebook is just filled with more people claiming they can't wear a mask because of their sudden anxiety now.

To be fair, wearing a mask for entire shifts would suck - longest I've done it for is about two hours and my face was a sweaty, itchy mess at the end of it. Another reason I'm grateful to be able to work from home.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, wearing a mask for entire shifts would suck - longest I've done it for is about two hours and my face was a sweaty, itchy mess at the end of it.
They're not worn for entire shifts though, you have breaks and you need to eat. I'm managing fine wearing those Adidas masks for multiple hours.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

Look, I can take a lot of the dumb scaremongering about independence that Boris throws out there. BUT THREATENING TO TAKE OUR MAGIC IS TOO FAR.

Oct 25, 2017
Question from an Irish Brit: how are Oxford and London at the moment?

Job opportunities have come up at a couple of unis that I can't really pass up - lecture positions are very rare at the two brick unis in NI and, in my field, they're not much more frequent in the billion or so unis down south. Teaching at both institutions would be remote (or in Oxford's case, a mix of remote lecturing but distanced tutorials with one of two students) and my research can be done pretty much in total isolation. My plan if I get either job is to take a self-contained AirBnB within walking distance of campus and in the first few days stock up with enough ready meals etc to keep for me two weeks if I need to go into isolation. I reckon I'd be fine and academia is basically social exile anyway. But covid adds another layer of apprehension to job searching.

you won't be in the pub asking for a 568ml

If this would stop GB trying to cheat me on the size of their spirit measures, I'm all for it.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Question from an Irish Brit: how are Oxford and London at the moment?

Job opportunities have come up at a couple of unis that I can't really pass up - lecture positions are very rare at the two brick unis in NI and, in my field, they're not much more frequent in the billion or so unis down south. Teaching at both institutions would be remote (or in Oxford's case, a mix of remote lecturing but distanced tutorials with one of two students) and my research can be done pretty much in total isolation. My plan if I get either job is to take a self-contained AirBnB within walking distance of campus and in the first few days stock up with enough ready meals etc to keep for me two weeks if I need to go into isolation. I reckon I'd be fine and academia is basically social exile anyway. But covid adds another layer of apprehension to job searching.
A lot of office workers are still working from home but a lot is back to normal (with social distancing, masks etc) in London, I don't believe there are many new cases at the moment here. Some tube/train stations are still closed but those that are open have an OK service. I would say if there is a chance to move now is the best time in case of a second wave.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

Look, I can take a lot of the dumb scaremongering about independence that Boris throws out there. BUT THREATENING TO TAKE OUR MAGIC IS TOO FAR.

well well well
This is a turnabout
it's not about "oh no don't go Scotland things will be terrible for you if you leave" now it's "oh no don't go Scotland things will be terrible for us if you leave"....

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want Scotland to leave the union.

But as I'm not Scottish, it's not up to me to decide.

If that's what a clear majority want, then so be it.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018

she needs to watch the video and understand the context, he does ask them if they are ok, they will not leave the boat Until in English waters at which point they will say they are distressed and need rescuing, as the law protect all life comes in, if they get rescued in French waters they will get returned to French land

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
she needs to watch the video and understand the context, he does ask them if they are ok, they will not leave the boat Until in English waters at which point they will say they are distressed and need rescuing, as the law protect all life comes in, if they get rescued in French waters they will get returned to French land
Good grief.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Any power and magic the UK had evaporated in the aftermath of WW2, not that I would ever describe what they has as magic

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
As someone from Spain (you know, a country that regularly gets those boats) I never expected to see media just live reporting that shit instead of you know, helping them avoid capsizing. Heck, you can see they are regularly getting the water out of the boat so that it keeps on working.
to what exactly, it is what Is happening, they want to get to UK waters, so what is it you are upset about
They are humans being in a dangerous situation. I expect something better than just being all "gosh darn look at these people" right next to them while they are in a pretty dangerous situation.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The reporter asks if they are okay and they say yes.

Would it be better if the reporter's ship forcefully stopped the migrants?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

It is clear they arent perfectly OK as you can see they are taking away water from the boat. Them also being OK right now doesnt mean they will be OK in short time if a storm (or heck, any decent size wave) hits them. The channel isnt so calm as to not care.

Yes, the BBC would probably be put into danger if they offered to help, but the solution to that is to just go with police help that are forced to offer help (and redirect them to land). Trying to play that all for funsies when it is a dangerous thing that gets many immigrants killed is not something I expected mainstream media to do (but rather the fringes of the right wing media).

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
As someone from Spain (you know, a country that regularly gets those boats) I never expected to see media just live reporting that shit instead of you know, helping them avoid capsizing. Heck, you can see they are regularly getting the water out of the boat so that it keeps on working.

They are humans being in a dangerous situation. I expect something better than just being all "gosh darn look at these people" right next to them while they are in a pretty dangerous situation.

They would of paid thousands of pounds to be on that boat to try to interfere before they reach UK waters would of been highly dangerous and likely ended up in a far worse situation.

They did exactly the right thing by staying a safe distance. We can criticise the need to show us all what is happening but they would of made a bad situation much worse by interjecting

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
They would of paid thousands of pounds to be on that boat to try to interfere before they reach UK waters would of been highly dangerous and likely ended up in a far worse situation.

They did exactly the right thing by staying a safe distance. We can criticise the need to show us all what is happening but they would of made a bad situation much worse by interjecting
They did "exactly the right thing" by minimizing a serious situation and playing it up for funsies. They were not there to help but to just play it as a political move. Again, not something I expected mainstream media to do, but rather the fringes of right wing media.

Edit: to put this into perspective, the news in Spain are that less than 3 days ago, 50 people died on similar "boats" trying to come to Spain. Trying to cross the sea with those boats is not something funsies and it is quite dangerous.

Last edited:

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they were in immediate danger, and it sounded like the coastguard had been alerted and were en-route.

Awful that these crossings have increased so much though - something needs to be done to stop them from launching.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
It is clear they arent perfectly OK as you can see they are taking away water from the boat. Them also being OK right now doesnt mean they will be OK in short time if a storm (or heck, any decent size wave) hits them. The channel isnt so calm as to not care.

Yes, the BBC would probably be put into danger if they offered to help, but the solution to that is to just go with police help that are forced to offer help (and redirect them to land). Trying to play that all for funsies when it is a dangerous thing that gets many immigrants killed is not something I expected mainstream media to do (but rather the fringes of the right wing media).
The reporter says that the coast guard has been alerted and is on their way.

Did you watch the video?

Oct 26, 2017

It would have been better to help them, since their boat was sinking. also they're not migrants, they're refugees seeking asylum. I know you're just repeating the beeb line but it's a pretty distinct difference. Calling them 'migrants' fuels narratives from the far right, it also implies they have a home to go back to. Asylum seekers coming here in a boat isn't illegal.
People in this country are very blasé about our government bombing countries until people in those countries try to flee.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Peddling xenophobic far-right rhetoric
The majority of these migrants or refugees as you like to call them have to pass through other safe countries to get to the UK, it's clear most of them want to come here for our benefit system.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
It would have been better to help them, since their boat was sinking. also they're not migrants, they're refugees seeking asylum. I know you're just repeating the beeb line but it's a pretty distinct difference. Calling them 'migrants' fuels narratives from the far right, it also implies they have a home to go back to. Asylum seekers coming here in a boat isn't illegal.
People in this country are very blasé about our government bombing countries until people in those countries try to flee.

Unless they forcefully tried to help them I don't see how they could - The refugees aren't asking for help and they say they're okay. A bunch of likely untrained people trying to stop the refugee's ship and help out could just as likely cause more harm. Also the fact that they're bailing some water out does not mean the ship is sinking.

A tweet posted 30 minutes later shows that the UK services arrived and the ship was fine.

The tweet posted in this thread is a blatant misrepresentation of what's happening

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
The majority of these migrants or refugees as you like to call them have to pass through other safe countries to get to the UK, it's clear most of them want to come here for our benefit system.
They want to be in the UK, but that's not why. Our benefit system is fucking terrible.

More likely: they know people here, or they can speak English.

edit: also, most refugees do stay in safe countries close to home. That's why, in Europe, Greece and Italy host a disproportionate number of refugees. The UK should try to help, but will never do so willingly because we are cunts.

Oct 26, 2017

tenor.gif

Alright Daily Mail.