• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 14, 2017
A baffling idea when we already pay more for public transport than most countries - this will just ensure those with a car will use them and while punishing those without (who are statistically more likely to be on lower incomes).
Living out in the sticks, driving works out to be like about . Obviously it's also significantly faster to drive places rather than use a country bus that goes everywhere.
The debate that needs to be had, but is not being had in an open and honest way is;
A) do we assume its inevitable that most people (80%) will get this virus and so aim to keep the numbers who get it low enough at any one point to not overwhelm the NHS. Basically herd immunity and potentially 500,000 dead if you assume a 1% mortality rate.

Or

B) aim to eliminate the virus and push the number down to zero over the medium to long term.

(with the background to both options being that a vaccine administered to all is 2+ years away and maybe the only way to achieve option B)

The government seemed to go with option A at the start of the pandemic, now talks as if its aim is option B (but no-one is convinced). Option B requires a worldwide approach, with massive investment in testing and contact tracing and social distancing until the vaccine is given to everyone in the world.

All the focus on lifting the lockdown implies option A is the aim.
I don't think that's really true. I think that right now because of the lockdown, most of the continued spread is probably happening in healthcare settings. So, that means it should soon be safe to start easing things up in the community because there shouldn't be another spike.

If things are opened up carefully then it should be possible to stick with B. Contact tracing is manageable, as SK does it. We just need to stop the spread in the community and then also have controls at ports of entry.

Ark

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
User Banned (1 year): Sexism. Account in junior phase. (ban reduced to 1 year following successful appeal)
From the Guardian liveblog.

Discussing the 'winding down' of the government's furloughing scheme on BBC Radio 4's World at One today, the former Treasury minister David Gauke said that although the scheme seemed to be working, there is a risk people will "get too used to it" as unfreezing the economy is set to take a while. He said:

Fucking maddening. This Victorian era upper class thinking dominates this particular breed of "pull your socks up" Conservative.

The lower classes can't be left workless for too long or they'll forget the only person who can sit around on public money is the Queen and her extended family. Also the PM if a pandemic is approaching but not actually here yet. A lot of landowners and maybe property owners too.

If everyone could just sort themselves out another job, why would we provide the furlough scheme in the first place?! As if people who have next to no money don't understand the fear of not having enough money at the end of the month. The fear of how vulnerable they are without a job, even a shit one they hate.

Just admit we can't afford to run this for too long, how are you already trying to shift the blame onto the working class you jumped up goon?

For reference I'm a Lib Dem/Labour swing voter and I dislike the Conservatives a lot. However, I can't see anything wrong with that statement at all. It's not at all classist, or targetted at poor people. The sentiment is very true and applicable.

I will miss the booty... oh god, the booty.

That's gotta be worth another 10% testosterone on its own!

It's a proven fact that when booty enters the weight room, all working sets go up 10%!

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
Good freaking god Monday? that should not have been announced in any format until Monday! I knew it was coming, i work for a local council, we've been planning for some shops opening, queues they may generate as part of enforced distance measures and even we were told it might be in two or three weeks in some easing of restrictions, but not total lifting - just off the cuff making that remark has allowed headlines to make it seem were off to the freaking pub Monday night for a knees up! Christ alive do people not realise that just some times releasing all the information ISN'T good?

Monday during the briefing he could have just said, from tomorrow these business may be allowed to open and workers commute to them, but everyone else must abide by the lockdown? would something like that be too much to ask?

I mean on the flip side the great British public will be out in force for the bank holiday weekend, Sheffield pubs will be having lockins again (with a side order of hide and seek) and hopefully it will make him reconsider? downside being deaths will spike, but hay ho, all those Boris loving, Trump sympathising bastards might just for a second think, maybe they are the problem?
You're right they won't

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
the UK haven't done any real contact tracing though and I'm not sure there is even the capacity to do it.

We've got the app being trialled (although obviously there are concerns about the app not working properly...), and they're wanting 18,000 contact tracers.

www.newscientist.com

UK sets new target to recruit 18,000 contact tracers by mid-May

The UK government has set a new target of recruiting an army of 18,000 coronavirus contact tracers by the middle of May, to be in place for the launch of the NHS contact tracing app

It sounds like there are plans to ramp it all up - although 'plans' is obviously a key word given the situation so far...

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So once life begins to get back on the move, those who typically rely on public transport, what's the plan?

I used to rely on buses/trains but got a bike since and will be using that.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, the Financial Times has updated its all-cause excess mortality trackers here: https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f8-11ea-aeb3-955839e06441

John Burn-Murdoch's Twitter (https://mobile.twitter.com/jburnmurdoch) has some additional graphs which further underscore how poorly the UK has done, by failing to contain the outbreak to a small number of regions (as Italy successfully did, although Lombardy was so grossly affected).

As John states it won't be clear if we are the "worst" in Europe until Italy's data is published for most of April (and for all of its regions), but it's not a race to win.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So once life begins to get back on the move, those who typically rely on public transport, what's the plan?

Thankfully the bus I take is pretty quiet but I'm gonna try and get on and off it without touching anything going forward.

Will be a while before I even bother, though. I'm thankfully in a position where I can work from home even once the lockdown eases, but I can just tell we're going to get a second boom because people will see "slight easing" as a green light to do whatever they want.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

Depends on how my local bus service handle things, haven't needed to use one in 6 weeks now since college closed. Before covid the one I got in the morning was almost always at maximum capacity so I've no idea what they'll be doing to alleviate that since they're stretched for buses at that time due to some being needed for the schools, so they can't put extra on. Worst comes to worst I'll just see if I can do my coursework from home.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
I follow the markers but I'm definitely one of those people that just walks past everyone doddering about because I know exactly what I want.

I'm not going to stand there for 5 minutes while someone decides what bunch of bloody bananas they want. It's madness. None of the products in the supermarket are cleaned, and the air isn't disinfected. Walking past a few people isn't going to significantly increase your chances of catching the virus in the supermarket.

I do usually pick up items and put them back on the shelf when I'm deciding what to buy, because I read all the nutritional information, but I haven't been doing that since this all started because I'm very conscious of potentially being asymptomatic and spreading it via goods.

EDIT: Also, as you've said, it seems as if staff have stopped caring as much. My local Tesco has been really good to be fair, but even they've started being a bit more relaxed lately.

And this is why it doesn't work, because people will do the mental gymnastics they need to so as to justify why they are allowed to flaunt any rules in place. I get it, people meander and don't treat shopping as a more precise exercise than others where you get in, get what you want and leave. But we should really just accept that shopping takes 2 hours now, it's shit and that's just the way it will have to be to protect everyone as much as possible.
I've gone down empty aisles the wrong way and been too close to people aswell (you literally can't avoid it)
You are right in saying the staff doesn't seem to care anyway though. They rush around picking up all the delivery orders (which must have massively increased) and go wherever they like; it was never going to work out.

It would have needed to be an enforced 2m separation with roped-off aisles like a theme park that snaked around the store and people were patient; forget something on your go round? queue up again; but that's just not practical and we end up with this weird situation where you wonder if it's even doing anything.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
And this is why it doesn't work, because people will do the mental gymnastics they need to so as to justify why they are allowed to flaunt any rules in place. I get it, people meander and don't treat shopping as a more precise exercise than others where you get in, get what you want and leave. But we should really just accept that shopping takes 2 hours now, it's shit and that's just the way it will have to be to protect everyone as much as possible.
I've gone down empty aisles the wrong way and been too close to people aswell (you literally can't avoid it)
You are right in saying the staff doesn't seem to care anyway though. They rush around picking up all the delivery orders (which must have massively increased) and go wherever they like; it was never going to work out.

It would have needed to be an enforced 2m separation with roped-off aisles like a theme park that snaked around the store and people were patient; forget something on your go round? queue up again; but that's just not practical and we end up with this weird situation where you wonder if it's even doing anything.

Local small Tesco actually has that full one-way system, and only seem to let in ~3 people at a time, despite having 6-7 aisles. Clearly a very good way of doing it (though staff still walk past closely, they have to restock).

Not realistically achievable for the bigger shops though. They do have a soft one-way system which nobody seems to take notice of. The central aisles are a free-for-all anyway. If you tried to stick to a one-way-system not overtaking anyone etc... then you would only end up being closer to more people across your shop and everyone else dashes about.

I think going to a big shop like that has inherent risks, and it's fair enough to do the best you can if you are willing to go inside. That means probably passing people a fair bit, but not leaning over people etc... and giving them a bit of space when you both want something from the same spot.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that's really true. I think that right now because of the lockdown, most of the continued spread is probably happening in healthcare settings. So, that means it should soon be safe to start easing things up in the community because there shouldn't be another spike.

If things are opened up carefully then it should be possible to stick with B. Contact tracing is manageable, as SK does it. We just need to stop the spread in the community and then also have controls at ports of entry.

Contact tracing would be completely unmanageable if you have 5000 new cases every day, as we do at the moment. It works for South Korea because they have always had far fewer cases. By easing the lockdown, we are just making it take longer to reach a point where we can actually do contact tracing.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
it just boils my head there's practically no pressure on the government here
This shouldn't really be surprising. The tories have killed thousands with either their lack of action or taking too damn much action time and time again. It was their fault so many died in grenfelt, public didn't care. They sent a generation off to a land most of them have never been to, forcing them to fend for themselves if they even could. People didn't care. They've caused countless unnecessary deaths within the poor and disabled. People virtually cheered.

The tory government have been killing people for years. Not only are people fine with it, the support for the tories has only grown. In this same time their supporters have become increasingly radicalised in an effort to widen their base. There's really no evidence to support the idea the government will be held to account for any quantity of deaths in any demographic unless it were the Labour Party in charge.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Interesting news about Germany reopening all shops again, football back on etc. Quite different to what will likely be a very slow and gradual easing in the UK.
www.bbc.co.uk

Coronavirus: Germany reopens shops as lockdown is relaxed

Angela Merkel says "the very first phase is behind us" as the coronavirus lockdown is eased.

One could easily argue that their lower fatality rate has made this possible. But, has their lower death toll actually now led to over-confidence? Or could their high levels of testing/tracing allow this rapid reversing of lockdown with a minimal increase in fatalities?

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
This shouldn't really be surprising. The tories have killed thousands with either their lack of action or taking too damn much action time and time again. It was their fault so many died in grenfelt, public didn't care. They sent a generation off to a land most of them have never been to, forcing them to fend for themselves if they even could. People didn't care. They've caused countless unnecessary deaths within the poor and disabled. People virtually cheered.

The tory government have been killing people for years. Not only are people fine with it, the support for the tories has only grown. In this same time their supporters have become increasingly radicalised in an effort to widen their base. There's really no evidence to support the idea the government will be held to account for any quantity of deaths in any demographic unless it were the Labour Party in charge.
Great post. It's not hard to imagine the sort of headlines Labour would be getting if they were presiding over the current clown show.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
So we're ignoring the post where someone implied they wouldn't be able to write a memoir because they'll die from coronavirus? Wether that was facetious or not, this isn't the place for facetious jokes about death.

Then maybe you were both wrong. You were laying into them for low-effort fear-mongering, but you were doing it through dismissive commentary surrounding the seriousness of the disease.

The fact of the matter is, of course, that if people do undermine the lockdown by the behaviour described, and if we do allow that to become normalised, that will increase the R number of the virus. One person acting that way won't have much of an impact, most likely. But if that one person is typical, and if people are spreading the way of thinking that it doesn't make a difference how that person behaves (encouraging others to behave the same way), then the impact quickly becomes so. And the higher that number is, the faster and wider the virus spreads.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not picking on your posts but the articles linked have aged so fucking badly. There seriously needs to be an inquiry into how the government managed to pick scientists who rejected the majority of necessary measures and how much of that is down to political interference.
Absolutely. Even if our response had been much better, I would hope that there would always be serious analysis of national crisis management to make sure everything that should have been done was done, and to flag up where interference hampered it, let alone when we will be sitting at the top of a comparative European table for how bad we handled it. Currently the government is saying 'everyone counts deaths differently so we need to wait for comparative figures', which is convenient considering the level of bungling, but I don't think those figures will be kind to them.

Nov 14, 2017
the UK haven't done any real contact tracing though and I'm not sure there is even the capacity to do it.
The new app sounds like shit too.
Contact tracing would be completely unmanageable if you have 5000 new cases every day, as we do at the moment. It works for South Korea because they have always had far fewer cases. By easing the lockdown, we are just making it take longer to reach a point where we can actually do contact tracing.
Yea, I agree we need to get new cases down first. If they just start opening things up suddenly now we'd spike again.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I honestly believe we won't ever see a second lockdown. We might see regional shutting if certain areas peak. Also just like the US the daily briefings will be cancelled and the narrative changed

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I honestly believe we won't ever see a second lockdown. We might see regional shutting if certain areas peak. Also just like the US the daily briefings will be cancelled and the narrative changed

If they stopped reporting numbers there would be no virus to contain. I 100% expect this to happen.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
Local small Tesco actually has that full one-way system, and only seem to let in ~3 people at a time, despite having 6-7 aisles. Clearly a very good way of doing it (though staff still walk past closely, they have to restock).

Not realistically achievable for the bigger shops though. They do have a soft one-way system which nobody seems to take notice of. The central aisles are a free-for-all anyway. If you tried to stick to a one-way-system not overtaking anyone etc... then you would only end up being closer to more people across your shop and everyone else dashes about.

I think going to a big shop like that has inherent risks, and it's fair enough to do the best you can if you are willing to go inside. That means probably passing people a fair bit, but not leaning over people etc... and giving them a bit of space when you both want something from the same spot.

I agree that realistically it wouldn't happen but it is a feasible solution if compliance was enforced; which of course won't/can't happen for a multitude of reasons. As you said, it is just an inherent risk of shopping in a larger shop but it's frustrating that it has to be that way because there are the means to do it 'properly'.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
You can tell yourself that, but if things open and deaths spike you'll certainly see another lockdown. Goes double for autumn/winter

Gove even alluded to it a few days ago about a regional lockdown if certain areas get hit, I hope I am wrong but we have allready seen the narrative changing from containment to unlocking. Maybe I am being cynical but with the NHS coping through the peak (albeit with changes) I just can't see Boris ever going for it again

Lockdown measures could be reintroduced "in a specific and localised way" if easing them results in an uptick of coronavirus cases, Michael Gove has said.

In other news. All you players (not sure if that word is still used for men who date lots) need to get to the doctors

www.bbc.co.uk

STIs: Lockdown 'once in a lifetime opportunity' for sexual health

Experts are urging people to self-test at home now to reduce infections when lockdown ends.

Last edited:

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that realistically it wouldn't happen but it is a feasible solution if compliance was enforced; which of course won't/can't happen for a multitude of reasons. As you said, it is just an inherent risk of shopping in a larger shop but it's frustrating that it has to be that way because there are the means to do it 'properly'.

Presumably the only way of implementing that in a large shop would be a one-way-system with no overtaking, which would drastically reduce capacity beyond what it already is. Meaning everyone basically has to take the same amount of time as the slowest shopper - which in a large supermarket is a long time.

Then even if you do that, the risk of spreading via surfaces is still there. Also the 'enforcers' required would add the to complication.

I think in terms of shop layouts, the bigger supermarkets have got the balance about right at the moment.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
My company has said we won't be going back to the office till end of June at the earliest, and I think even then it would be a very staged thing, so I think I have another 2.5 months at home at least which I'm cool with. I hope it results in some kind of permanent change.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Nearly 3 weeks ago we had to move my Nan to a care home as I could no longer care for her on my own, she had to spend about a week in hospital because her health was so bad, she tested negative for COVID but I've just had a call from my Mum that they think she now has it, so we're waiting to hear back once she has been tested again. She has late stage Alzheimer's and is so frail, I don't think she'd survive if she tests positive.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
So today I had an epiphany that this continuous period of not working (33 days and still counting) has been the happiest time of my life.

It's the freedom of Childhood but with the perspective of Adulthood.

It's way better than Childhood because I have a refined idea of what my hobbies are and I engineer and focus my free time around that, plus I have MORE time than Childhood Summer holidays (presumably this will last more than 6 weeks).

Of course I greatly appreciate and don't take for granted the time now, after 6 years of stressful, anxiety inducing full time office working experience.

And finally my PARENTS are home too. In Childhood they continued working (except when we went on holiday to Turkey). Here they are right here alongside me. It's beautiful! And we don't fight, everyone is happy all the time.

Now would I rather sacrifice all this, go back to normal life and the pandemic be over? In a heartbeat of course. But I have to express how happy not working makes us. It's probably less the work and more that I'm not working in a field that fulfil my passions.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Press conference time:

- 69k tests yesterday
- +6111 new cases yesterday
- 13.6k in hospital, down from 13.9k since yesterday
- 30,076 deaths, increase of 649 since yesterday
- PM to set out on Sunday the approach to the second phase

Slides - including a new one at the end iirc.

7kgVf0n.png

YMHaG9D.png

kml25to.png

zyNoeks.png

k8yjZzr.png

v4PDSCA.png

ofBHRID.png

SmEFJjA.png

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I dotn know what I'll do. I can get from Paddington to work by walking and it's fairly quiet. But from Slough to Paddington it's Train or... er..

maybe buy an e;edited car and park in the congestion zone? More realistically my office will like;y extend wfh until it's mich safer

GazzaScotland

Oct 27, 2017
Press conference time:

- 69k tests yesterday
- +6111 new cases yesterday
- 13.6k in hospital, down from 13.9k since yesterday
- 30,076 deaths, increase of 649 since yesterday

Quick glance, that is the 3rd highest daily number for new cases we've had but yeah lets push the narrative of things easing on Monday which will no doubt lead to more people out and about till then.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Testing targets clearly and consistently missed apart from that single PR bullshit day, deaths slooooooowly coming down, but with regular spikes, tracing app only in the testing phase, guidelines for work looking to be along the lines of "do this if you can, but if you can't.... eh...", furlough "handouts" to be curtailed, a holiday weekend coming up with a suggestion that lockdown will be relaxed the other side of it...

All the ingredients for a real fucking mess here if people decide to take the messaging about relaxation and take advantage of this weekend and the good weather, and no sign that the government have a real handle on the problem yet to start relaxing things safely.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Umm, why do we have such a sudden increase on positive cases if the number tested is getting lower? :/

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My manager is a controlling b**** and will do ANYTHING in her power to make sure we're in that office the moment it's possible.