• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
UK government is considering reducing the furlough scheme from 80% to 60% so there's no sudden cliff edge at the end of June.

The Chancellor has begun detailed planning to taper back furloughing, with options including cutting the 80 per cent wage subsidy to encourage people to look for new jobs.

A leading option is to reduce the current subsidy to 60 per cent, with further small reductions to follow, meaning that people would become worse off over time on the scheme, the Evening Standard understands

Not sure what jobs he expects people to apply for when anyone on the scheme already has a job.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you want to be a delivery driver on minimum wage there's not exactly a lot of hiring going on at the moment

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017

The reframing of the furlough scheme as benefits and those on it as lazy / workshy is about to begin.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Plus it would only it make it harder for the large number of unemployed now looking for new jobs

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't even got my first furlough payment yet and there's already talks of it being cut ha

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The thing about going back to work, what if you know don't actually make what you did before, businesses and staff are fucked in a lot of areas.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
might be delivering tests to folk soon

already a key worker as it is, albeit just a shelf stacker.

fuck all that nhs lot, I expect a nomination for the pride of britain awards post haste

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
The increasing death numbers are very sobering. It's still difficult to make international comparisons (and we may indeed be the worst in Europe), but even if not it's a huge failure regardless.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting seeing the usual morning Tory TV surrogates throwing Hancock under the bus over the way he spoke to Dr Allin-Khan.
Maybe he's being prepared as a sacrifice to take the heat off Boris and Cummings.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting seeing the usual morning Tory TV surrogates throwing Hancock under the bus over the way he spoke to Dr Allin-Khan.
Maybe he's being prepared as a sacrifice to take the heat off Boris and Cummings.

Very likely I think. As much as the government are having some luck spinning during the crisis, the analysis long term is going to be dire. Only person who doesn't look terrible so far is Sunak, and that may change rapidly as they are clearly desperate to 'taper' the furlough.

Scapegoats will be necessary and no one likes Hancock.

Jun 24, 2019
Scientists say they have identified a mutation in coronavirus which they believe means a more contagious strain has been sweeping Europe and the US - and could even reinfect those who already have antibodies.

Researchers at Los Alamos National Laboratory in the US detected 14 mutations in the COVID-19 virus spike proteins, one of which - known as Spike D614G - they said was of "urgent concern".

If this study gets confirmed, it raises concerns and doubts on the rate of mutation.

The current estimation of C19's mutation rate is 21/20,000 (0.00105%) to 63/50,000 (0.00126%).

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Domestic outlook for Britain in 2020:

VisitBritain have also run a domestic impact model for 2020. As with our inbound forecast, this represents a snapshot in time (forecast run mid-April) and makes a number of assumptions to provide an early estimate of impact. Subsequent developments could change the outlook.

For this analysis, we assume a ten-week lockdown that ends at the start of June. We then assume a period in June-August when the tourism sector starts to open although social distancing remains in place and tourism spend remains well below baseline (pre-COVID) levels. Finally, we assume a bounceback period in the last four months of the year when many categories of leisure tourism benefit from pent-up demand. Each of these phases will affect different components of domestic tourism and categories of tourism spending differently.

We have forecast a central scenario of £69.5bn in domestic tourism spend in Britain in 2020, down 24% on 2019 when spending by domestic tourists in Britain was £91.6bn. This comprises £16.7bn from overnight tourism (down 32% on the £24.7bn seen in 2019) and £52.8bn from day trips (down 21% compared to £67.0bn).

This represents a loss of £22.1bn (£7.9bn from overnights and £14.1bn from day trips) – greater than the loss from inbound tourism in absolute value terms, although lower in percentage terms.

As with our inbound forecast, this is a short-term forecast that describes one possible outturn and involves many assumptions and simplifications due to the fast-moving and uncertain situation; it is therefore subject to revision. The longer-term impact depends on wider demand and supply factors.

Revised inbound outlook for the UK in 2020:

Since March, COVID-19 has triggered a near-total shutdown in international tourism to/from the UK. Forecasting at this time is difficult, given the fast-moving situation and the unique circumstances. Events are moving fast during the COVID-19 pandemic. The outlook can change daily. Our new central scenario below therefore reflects a snapshot in time (mid-April) based on current understanding and a set of assumptions. Subsequent developments could change the outlook.

We have modelled a range of several scenarios of the short-term impact on inbound tourism, reflecting the tremendous uncertainty about prospects for tourism. The main difference between these scenarios is the length of the near-shutdown in international travel. The hit to inbound tourism in 2020 in these scenarios ranges from £8.1bn and 12.1m visits in the most optimistic case to £22.3bn and 32.1m visits (compared to the pre-COVID forecast) in the pessimistic scenario.

Our central scenario for inbound tourism to the UK in 2020, as of mid-April, is for a decline of 54% in visits to 17.8m and 55% in spend to £11.6bn. This would represent a loss vs the pre-COVID forecast of 21.9m visits and £15.1bn spend.

We stress that this central scenario is merely one possible outturn and involves many assumptions and simplifications due to the fast-moving and uncertain situation; it is therefore subject to revision as the situation develops. Crucially, the central scenario assumes that recovery in inbound tourism starts in August, although is a gradual process taking some months for international tourism to return to more normal levels.

This is a short-term outlook; the longer-term impact and path to recovery depends on wider demand (especially economic) and supply factors.

www.visitbritain.org

2023 tourism forecast

The annual VisitBritain forecast for the volume and value of inbound tourism to the UK is issued towards the end of each year and revised mid-year after the final official inbound statistics are released. This page was last updated July 18th and incorporates final 2022 data from the...

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
^^ Scary stuff, if local tourism is off the cards until after summer, then there will be a lot of businesses going under, as they haven't made the money in the high season that gets them through the quieter periods.

Oct 27, 2018
Someone on my Facebook (we went to Primary school together) posted a photo of one of the masks his work has provided. His point was basically 'lol it's from China, prolly got coronavirus' but then a mutual friend who can speak Chinese translated it to say this product should not be used in fever clinics, isolation wards, isolation observation wards, operating rooms, isolation intensive care units, etc. which sorta highlights how unsuitable and little protection it actually offers in these current circumstances. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Deleted member 21431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The reframing of the furlough scheme as benefits and those on it as lazy / workshy is about to begin.

Of course it is. The Tories will tap into the widely held belief that people are being paid to sit in their backsides at home doing nothing whilst NHS staff are working hard saving lives. The fact people don't have jobs to return to as a result of government incompetence and dithering over imposing the lockdown, meaning it is far longer than it needed to be if we'd done it sooner and more strictly, will be brushed aside.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Domestic tourism seems quite likely to rebound in the medium term, though, since flying overseas is going to be off the cards for a lot of people.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand lockdown and the fact we will be easing it. Like what was the point of the lockdown? So NHS could be prepared more? Why weren't they prepared already? And why did it take 2 months to get them ready? PPE, testing, kits etc.

Also surely once people start going out again the deaths will just rise back up again and it will be like before so what was the point? I guess they can be managed better now but still. Without a vaccine this seems futile.

The way I see it less people going to the hospital for other urgent stuff While under this lockdown so this virus killed/will kill those people off too and created capacity because people weren't going for other urgent stuff. Isn't that really the reason? The government killed people that way too by instigating fear to not go for anything else which I turn created more capacity like that?

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it is. The Tories will tap into the widely held belief that people are being paid to sit in their backsides at home doing nothing whilst NHS staff are working hard saving lives. The fact people don't have jobs to return to as a result of government incompetence and dithering over imposing the lockdown, meaning it is far longer than it needed to be if we'd done it sooner and more strictly, will be brushed aside.

I think the threat of job losses has less to do with the conditions within the lockdown than those that will invariably follow it. If businesses could unpause their activity immediately and return to "normal" then there'd be little concern - the furlough scheme would be sufficient in holding over (the majority of) staff until demand resumed as normal. The issue is in finding a way to bridge the gap between the lockdown and people returning to work to a reduced degree.

Perhaps there is an argument to be made that an earlier lockdown would reduce the need for greater social distancing afterwards, but I'm not sure that's a given.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Why is she travelling, come on now! Her husbands an academic also was the meet up that necessary? He came out of self isolating and he definitely should have put at a stop also.
Who'd like to bet it was Ferguson who leaked to the press that Cummings and Warner were the SAGE meeting attendees that really should not have been there...?

Oct 25, 2017
BBC very keen to highlight that whilst one of these is enough to make you quit your role in shame, the other is absolutely essential travel.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So what do we think the chances of kids going back to school before September are? I have a 6 year old going into Year 2 and a 4 year old heading into school for the first time. Are we thinking they're going to send older kids back first or?

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Saw my new favourite pointless mask use when I went shopping yesterday. Was putting my trolley back and a couple of woman walk past, masks pulled down around their necks while they happily smoked away.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
So what do we think the chances of kids going back to school before September are? I have a 6 year old going into Year 2 and a 4 year old heading into school for the first time. Are we thinking they're going to send older kids back first or?

I have one starting in September as well. Reception is the most difficult year to predict as there is no leagal requirement for them to be there until they turn 5. In some ways they need to be back as parents can't work but in other ways I suspect the unions will be having a big opinion on reception. They can't socially distance even if there is only 4 in a class.
If I was forced to guess. And based on Sturgeons comments yesterday I reckon it will be some sort of rota system so one week in 2 weeks off scenario. However that is a huge guess. One look at tes.com tells you the gov have a huge fight on their hands over schools from the unions

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I have one starting in September as well. Reception is the most difficult year to predict as there is no leagal requirement for them to be there until they turn 5. In some ways they need to be back as parents can't work but in other ways I suspect the unions will be having a big opinion on reception. They can't socially distance even if there is only 4 in a class.
If I was forced to guess. And based on Sturgeons comments yesterday I reckon it will be some sort of rota system so one week in 2 weeks off scenario. However that is a huge guess. One look at tes.com tells you the gov have a huge fight on their hands over schools from the unions

It also helps/hinders depending on persuasion that two of the teaching unions merged recently to form the NEU.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.bbc.co.uk

Coronavirus: Theresa May criticises world pandemic response

Countries have "gone their own way" rather than working together, the ex-prime minister says.

Former Prime Minister Theresa May has criticised world leaders for failing "to forge a coherent international response" to the coronavirus pandemic.

Writing in the Times, she said states had "gone their own way" and treated the virus as a "national issue".

Lack of international collaboration could lead to the world becoming more dangerous, she warned.

I'm off to scream at a wall

Oct 26, 2017
www.bbc.co.uk

Coronavirus: Theresa May criticises world pandemic response

Countries have "gone their own way" rather than working together, the ex-prime minister says.

I'm off to scream at a wall

e7e4cc948945abefed94e346dabe5cc9.jpg

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Domestic tourism seems quite likely to rebound in the medium term, though, since flying overseas is going to be off the cards for a lot of people.

We were thinking this the other day, our holiday abroad in June is effectively cancelled at this point and rightly so, maybe we can do something in the UK later this year, before the baby arrives in October.

When we got married we did a little break at a log cabin in the middle of some woods in Yorkshire and it was fantastic. We didn't really venture out that much.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Revealing yet again how the repressed 'silent majority', so downtrodden, control politics with a strangehold. May can come out and say such things only after being PM of a tubthumping moron government focused on national identity politics, toxic environments and gung-ho idiocy.