• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's much more likely we're going to enter into a cycle of social isolation moving into more careful opening up of everything again, and then when infection rates increase, going back into social isolation. Most projections say it won't be until the beginning of next year that things will start to get properly back to normal, although the summer should be a breather for everyone as the virus retreats.

That was my understanding and presumption as well.

The arts industry is completely screwed. Well, most industries will be screwed.

Oct 25, 2017
That was my understanding and presumption as well.

The arts industry is completely screwed. Well, most industries will be screwed.

Same thoughts here as to the process until a vaccine is widely tested, proven and then distributed. That interim process will also be helped when the test for the virus is widely available, and when an accurate anti-body test is also widely available. The final item that would help smooth the cyclic process of opening and closing parts of society are one or more proven anti-virals to help treat live cases.

However until a vaccine arrives, I've got no idea what happens to those in the 1.5 million shielding group.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed to do pharmacy runs for a few OAPs who live alone and have none / no nearby relatives, and I've noticed the age demographic flaunting the rules isn't kids, it's old people.

All week I've seen the elderly in 2s and 3s walking around like nothing's happening and chatting at normal distances. It's absolutely mental.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed to do pharmacy runs for a few OAPs who live alone and have none / no nearby relatives, and I've noticed the age demographic flaunting the rules isn't kids, it's old people.

All week I've seen the elderly in 2s and 3s walking around like nothing's happening and chatting at normal distances. It's absolutely mental.

Had to do a bit of shopping this morning as I didn't get bread last night(stupidly) and saw an old guy giving a young girl at a shop grief about being asked to stand back behind a line. They literally don't care.

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
People are idiots, have the Contact centre managers had much to say or is all the info coming from the senior manager workplace videos?

Feel like there's a storm brewing in contact centres

CCM's are much like TL's in my experience, simply following the company line. At worst it's Blitz spirit, at best it's BAU. The drive is definitely coming from the top down on the daily calls.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
Did i read Italy has more ventilators than us?

Yeah. The only thing that might make a difference now is either any demographic factors (which would be unlikely), the fact that Italy implemented a full lockdown slightly later than us, or any of the last-minute interventions we're now making (such as the construction of NHS Nightingale).

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
Yeah. The only thing that might make a difference now is either any demographic factors (which would be unlikely), the fact that Italy implemented a full lockdown slightly later than us, or any of the last-minute interventions we're now making (such as the construction of NHS Nightingale).

Can't see how huge new 'hospitals' are going to make a difference without ICU / ventilators - that is surely the key factor.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
How's everyone coping? I'm starting to unravel I think. Just nothing or no one to turn to for anything cheery.

Doing fine, plenty of options to keep myself busy.

This is a real emergency glass smash moment for all of us.

Almost anything and everything you ever wanted to do or experience in your own home or right near it, go for.

What we have is time and likely nothing but plenty of time. Make full use of it.

Don't be that guy/girl

No, we should all be that guy/girl right now. The rules are fucking clear, even though the government messaging wasn't.

Its shit, but it is what it is. The chief doctor today live at the government daily briefing laid out the black and white consequences of flouting the rules. There is no grey area.

I mean, who the fuck WANTS to live in a brand new virus hotspot??

It's a matter of life and death for 100,000s of people in the country and tens of millions worldwide.

I don't think there's any evidence or advice regarding the virus entering your body through your ears.
The NHS advises people not to touch the eyes, nose, mouth. It's the exception that proves the rule. If they thought there was a plausible infection/transmission route through your eardrum, advice would be widespread.
www.nhs.uk

COVID-19 advice and services

Get NHS advice about COVID-19 and COVID-19 services, including testing, vaccination and the NHS COVID Pass.

Right ok, I checked the ear transmission advice with 3 people, one medical student, one PhD microbiologist who will work with the disease and and an nhs consultant, all relatives. This was back in Feb.

I will ask them again, very likely the advice has changed.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Can't see how huge new 'hospitals' are going to make a difference without ICU / ventilators - that is surely the key factor.

Less transmission of the disease.

Have the hotspots in the big new units rather then hospitals around the area that can seep over to the general public and keep the rate of transmission lower.

Even a 0.5 less R0 would be massive in the big picture of things.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Time to align myself with Boris in one respect - now self-isolating. :( Our 7-year-old son has a fever, so time to start foraging for online shopping delivery slots... He's okay so far - just the fever and flu-like aches. Hopefully that's as bad as it gets.

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
The thing getting me down the most is I really just want to see my dad more than anything. I'm not showing any symptoms and having been isolating but I know how awful I'd feel if he got sick afterwards

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
Let's put it into perspective, the Wuhan Lockdown lasted 2 months and the economy restart will hopefully be ongoing but it seems like despire their measures they are going to see a stop-start and now it's starting to become a more political thing in terms of death reporting and things because the rest of the world is not in the best state.

May is the earliest we can see lockdown lifted given that late April is the peak in Europe; with a 3-4 week delay in the US. The economy restart is forecasted to be in late June now.

They will try to ease lockdown but with deaths increasing soon the first step would be to extend lockdown until the end of April (as is already happening in lots of European nations). More people will be dying and infected around then because of the peak that they'd increase it further till possibly week 3 of May if not later. You have to mentally prepare yourself now to stay in lockdown mode till early June else it's going to put you in a bad state.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
People are idiots, have the Contact centre managers had much to say or is all the info coming from the senior manager workplace videos?

Feel like there's a storm brewing in contact centres

They just aren't taking it seriously. There is absolutely no reason for people to be in beyond skeleton staff to look after vulnerable customers. This is the company who has their sales team still open for fuck sake.

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017
I'd be really careful about being so identifiable as to who you are and who you work for. Regardless of what people are doing being right or wrong in approach, the social media "brand damage" angle could be one that someone decides to score points over and you get into trouble. Not worth it.

On a separate note, I miss the following things: going for a drive on a quiet sunday morning :(

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
The article is from an American perspective but it's valid and fits with the research I've been seeing developed. Major firms and governments are still operating on the 3-4 months assumption or rather hope.

www.theatlantic.com

The Four Possible Timelines for Life Returning to Normal

The coronavirus outbreak may last for a year or two, but some elements of pre-pandemic life will likely be won back in the meantime.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not a plane in the sky over London is weird

When I drive in to do my shift (teacher) and I have the radio on, it feels like War of the Worlds. Few cars around one of the busiest roads in the country, building work on it suspended, and the radio giving reports about 'infection', 'pandemic', 'deaths' and 'quarantine'. It really feels like a movie or a game setting the scene for something awful that has happened.

Ruddles

Oct 17, 2018
Something that's genuinely worrying me is that because the sh1tshow of the UK government is so behind the curve on COVID-19, they'll start to make bad decisions in an effort to "catch up"

www.theguardian.com

Midwife shortage doubles as NHS staff diverted to tend Covid-19 patients

A fifth of midwife-led maternity units are closed while a third stop offering home births

There were already shortages in maternity wards. The NHS shouldn't be reallocating maternity ward nurses to ICUs. I get it that there are only "bad choices" here, if we don't reallocate NHS resources to COVID then more people will die, but starving other areas of the NHS isn't right either. The government's job is to take the hard decisions to protect its citizens, not do dumb stuff to try to manage the headlines. If we're at this stage already, then the answer is to be more aggressive in triage, not put maternity units at risk.

Oct 31, 2017
When I drive in to do my shift (teacher) and I have the radio on, it feels like War of the Worlds. Few cars around one of the busiest roads in the country, building work on it suspended, and the radio giving reports about 'infection', 'pandemic', 'deaths' and 'quarantine'. It really feels like a movie or a game setting the scene for something awful that has happened.

It's like the early bits of Sean of the Dead where the news in the background is reporting on people being eaten alive in the streets and he's too hungover to notice

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not a plane in the sky over London is weird

I live in the middle of Manchester and Liverpool and thus I usually hear at least 1 plane pass every day to go to either one of those airports. TBH I hadn't even thought about it but you're totally right. I can't remember the last time I heard one and that's definitely a first.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There were already shortages in maternity wards. The NHS shouldn't be reallocating maternity ward nurses to ICUs. I get it that there are only "bad choices" here, if we don't reallocate NHS resources to COVID then more people will die, but starving other areas of the NHS isn't right either. The government's job is to take the hard decisions to protect its citizens

Problem is the only way to avoid depriving other areas would be to not have spent the last decade deliberately slowly tearing the NHS apart. And admitting to that would mean people might expect the Tories to be held culpable for something, which they will never ever allow to happen

Oct 28, 2017
The family two doors down were the ones clapping and cheering more than anyone the other night for the NHS. They like to make a big show of how caring they are.

Yesterday they had a barbecue which included many people from outside their household.

But at least they did a clap.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
The family two doors down were the ones clapping and cheering more than anyone the other night for the NHS. They like to make a big show of how caring they are.

Yesterday they had a barbecue which included many people from outside their household.

But at least they did a clap.
It's like carbon offsetting. If you do a clap you can do a few murders with a clear conscience.