• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
I had to go out for bread and eggs the other day. I wore a mask, drove to the small supermarket in the high street, got out of the car, shopped quickly without standing near anyone, then got the fuck out of there and got home, washing my hands as soon as I arrived.

Rest of the town? Queueing at the grocers within about 2 foot of each other, walking the dogs, sat chatting on benches, getting haircuts. We're doomed.

Yeah, a friend sent me photos from work earlier this week. Group of guys huddled in the doorway smoking because it was raining, forcing everyone to walk through them. Folks dancing out the office together in groups. People mocking social distancing. Even had a few instances of people still repeating the "it's only the flu" nonsense.

How high do the piles of bodies need to be?

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
How's everyone coping? I'm starting to unravel I think. Just nothing or no one to turn to for anything cheery.

luckily nothing changed for me. Going to Work keeps me busy, gym at home and daily walk with the dogs. Plenty to game as I got a decent backlog and preordered/ prepaid most AAA games a while ago.

Wife always works from home so no change for her and supermarkets around here are relatively empty with decent stock.

That's obviously subject to change on a daily basis :(

what I found is helping a lot is simply not to watch/ read the news on a daily basis. I try to check up on the current situation every couple of days.

Nov 14, 2017
This Korean doctor has a lot of interesting things to say. He specifically calls out packed areas such as call centres as prime vectors for full-on airborne transmission. Normally the virus would only spread 2 metres via droplets, but if someone infected is speaking constantly in an enclosed space full of other people doing the same, the droplets never land and eventually dry out. At that point the virus particles are free-floating and fully airborne.

Apparently there was a whole church in Korea who got infected that way by getting in a room together while singing and praying.

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
Family member works at a big hospital in the UK, supposedly the testing they've been doing only has a 30% accuracy rate

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Family member works at a big hospital in the UK, supposedly the testing they've been doing only has a 30% accuracy rate

I wouldn't disbelieve it.

Either something wrong with the tests or theres some other bug going around.
Considering you've got to be in a bit of a bad way to be sent to hospital and tested it almost sounds too good to be true that there is something other than corona at the moment

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Well, this is the weirdest birthday I've ever had. Day drinking and LotR marathon is making it better though. Gonna order pizza in a bit.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
big old jump today, I wonder how long until they halt all non essential workplaces making employees attend work.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Well, this is the weirdest birthday I've ever had. Day drinking and LotR marathon is making it better though. Gonna order pizza in a bit.
happy birthday! :)

i wish i was watching the LOTR movies. i'm reading the books first before doing it. only just about to finish the first book.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
happy birthday! :)

i wish i was watching the LOTR movies. i'm reading the books first before doing it. only just about to finish the first book.
Well thank you!

I will say that the books and movies are different enough beasts that I don't think it matters all that much... I adore them both! But it's awesome you're reading them, I wish I could again for the first time.

Another big recommendation is the 1981 BBC Radio Drama version (entirely free on archive.org). Has some fantastic production values for the time, and has a great voice cast including Ian Holm (movie Bilbo) as Frodo and Bill Nighy himself as Sam!

Plum

May 31, 2018
Man, I know it's selfish but I really wish that I didn't have to work right now. I want to stay at home and do as much as I can to stop this spreading and, more importantly, to stop my Mum getting it but because I work in a Supermarket I can't do that at all.

I didn't sign up for any of this shit yet here I am having panic attacks about a shift that I found boring a month ago. I honestly don't know what to do...

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm in the office and people are sitting on each others desks and pushing each other about grabbing each others mobiles. :/

Unfortunately a lot of people still aren't really taking it that seriously, the roads are definitely quieter around here but at my work the guidelines are basically unless you're needing access for essential services or running a business that is still allowed to operate then there is no reason to visit, yet we're seeing people just turning up taking random non-essential things out of their units, coming in to sort their units out since they "may as well, it's quiet and there's nothing else to do". The reception I work from is basically closed all day long now given I don't want anyone coming in there, doesn't stop them trying and looking at us like we're being stupid to not allow them in - I don't even want to be there, I'm sure as hell not going to be encouraging people in.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I might be wrong, but isn't any test with less than a 50% accuracy essentially useless? If you're only catching 3 in 10 cases, how do you even have any idea who's got it and who doesn't? Surely there are false positives too, at which points you might as well flip a coin.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

silentg

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
www.google.com

Police 'hotline' to report neighbours for breaching strict coronavirus lockdown

Several police websites have created online forms for people to fill in after a surge in 101 calls since Boris Johnson announced his strict measures

Yuck

This feels insidious. Why not just phone the police? My wife did but a response which amounted to "we don't have the resources to investigate." Like burglary.

My wife is an NHS worker (occupational therapist) who is very frustrated with people having drinks outside and kids playing out together on the front street. We've even told our own family off for a couple of things that they have done.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
www.google.com

Police 'hotline' to report neighbours for breaching strict coronavirus lockdown

Several police websites have created online forms for people to fill in after a surge in 101 calls since Boris Johnson announced his strict measures

Yuck
I may have to do that.

My neighbours inexplicably had like 7 children in their garden yesterday. They only have two and I swear I heard one say "I'm sick".

If they're looking after kids for key workers, they should a) be at school and b) are risking infecting them.

I saw their parents picking the kids up yesterday evening

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I may have to do that.

My neighbours inexplicably had like 7 children in their garden yesterday. They only have two and I swear I heard one say "I'm sick".

If they're looking after kids for key workers, they should a) be at school and b) are risking infecting them.

Don't be that guy/girl

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Don't be that guy/girl
My girlfriend and I are high risk. We've already had two of their footballs fall into our garden which could be contaminated if those kids do have it.

There are guidelines that the government set out and this is against it.

It sucks. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt but if it continues and they're essentially running a day care at a time when people should stay at home, then there's little choice.

It's not snitching. This is life or death here.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
My girlfriend and I are high risk. We've already had two of their footballs fall into our garden which could be contaminated if those kids do have it.

There are guidelines that the government set out and this is against it.

It sucks. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt but if it continues and they're essentially running a day care at a time when people should stay at home, then there's little choice.

It's not snitching. This is life or death here.
Maybe you could ask them what the deal is and explain your own need for isolation (while standing well back) while using dropping the balls back as an excuse? The school option for childcare is if there is no other choice, even for the children of 'key workers', as that's a hell of a lot of people. Schools were overwhelmed with the amount of kids with one or more parents counting as 'key' in some areas, so some people are getting by with an ad-hoc mix of childcare as schools and nurseries aren't covering all of it for those who need to work (all the nurseries in my village are closed, even to families with two key worker parents). It's a huge list of professions keeping local authorities going.

Still, that does sound like a large amount of people and against government advice. Is it just a one-off so far? If they are running a daily babysitting service for multiple families in a residential property they really shouldn't be doing that. I'd at least get a bit more info first, the police won't do anything about '7 kids in a garden' as a one-off, they might if someone has created what is effectively a long-term unregistered daycare centre when such places have all been closed and those that remain open have plenty of space for each child etc. I'd definitely ring if it's more than a one-off (or at least while it's still going on).

Last edited:

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
big old jump today, I wonder how long until they halt all non essential workplaces making employees attend work.
It's crazy. They want to reduce pressure on the NHS and many of those with a higher risk of hospitalisation are still forced to go to work. Or live with somebody who does.

Even outside those groups it's bad. The commute to work and then a lack of care when there.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Well thank you!

I will say that the books and movies are different enough beasts that I don't think it matters all that much... I adore them both! But it's awesome you're reading them, I wish I could again for the first time.

Another big recommendation is the 1981 BBC Radio Drama version (entirely free on archive.org). Has some fantastic production values for the time, and has a great voice cast including Ian Holm (movie Bilbo) as Frodo and Bill Nighy himself as Sam!
i've read the books before but just once. must've been around 2004. time has made me forget a lot of stuff but when i first read them i was only 13 and it feels really exciting reading them now 15 years later. i'm just at the bridge of Khazad-dum. i have got the audiobooks too. i'm actually switching between my paperbacks, kindle version, and audiobooks depending on how i feel lol.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why shouldn't people report idiots for being idiots?

If people want to risk others lives then they can damn well deal with the consequences if the police get called on them.
I'm with you, not going to tolerate complacency and incompetence when it'll end up killing people.

I may have to do that.

Be that guy/girl, we all need to.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The longer people keep ignoring the lockdown restrictions, the longer it's going to last

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
They've announced if you can't use your annual leave it'll carry over for two years

even though I'm working from home I still need to take time off - but maybe a few single days and not a full two week break. So it's good to know i can roll more over than our work normally allows.

how will it work for furloughed workers? Technically they aren't working - will they still accrue full leave entitlement while they are off?

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The police can deal with that. Not my place to make notes of how many times someone steps out of their, how long they have been away from their house or who enters their house.
The police can't enforce it on their own though.

Also there's a difference between going out for 2 walks a day and meeting up to have a BBQ, don't bother with reporting the first but you should absolutely report the second.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Why shouldn't people report idiots for being idiots?

If people want to risk others lives then they can damn well deal with the consequences if the police get called on them.
I have to agree. Fuck these people, they're literally putting people's lives at risk.

I was shocked to find out that NHS workers usually have to pay to park their cars at their place of work. How and why the fuck did that ever become a thing?

The nurses looking after me after my accident last year were telling me that they had to park half an hour away from the hospital and walk in. It's fucking disgusting.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
There's a very good reason why the schools are the first to be closed in dealing with this pandemic because the children can spread the virus without having any symptoms or very mild ones. So having 10 kids together without any safety measure in one place is a very bad idea. That's how you start a hotspot of infections. So of course one should call the police in such an instance, it's a matter of life and death in the end for some in the viral chain.

The Rain King

Oct 27, 2017
Had to go on a 40 mile drive today (to get medicine for one of the pets) and saw an old couple, towing a caravan, pulled over by a traffic copper. Some people.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Via Sky News;

The 259 people who have died in the past 24 hours were aged between 33-100.
All but 13 of them had underlying health conditions.

Oct 27, 2017
Some people ignoring the lockdown is everyone's problem. The more they ignore government guidelines, the longer this goes on. The police stopping this sort of thing is absolutely necessary if people aren't willing to isolate properly.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
Via Sky News;

The 259 people who have died in the past 24 hours were aged between 33-100.
All but 13 of them had underlying health conditions.

The 13 who didn't have underlying conditions were between 63 and 99 which was also reported earlier. Also the number of infected reported yesterday was off by 36 (It was actually lower by that amount).

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty sure if Boris is telling Trump we need ventilators that means we are truly fucked and afraid to go to the EU cap in hand because Brexit

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
The 13 who didn't have underlying conditions were between 63 and 99 which was also reported earlier. Also the number of infected reported yesterday was off by 36 (It was actually lower by that amount).

Thank you for adding that, thats important context.

Still though, as a 31 year old, it's not nice to think people around my age are losing their lives regardless of their health conditions.