• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Should be 100% unacceptable. But 100% expected.

Depends who it is. I think the Queen and Philip definitely should be tested if they show symptoms and I'm indifferent to the Royal family. They're both vulnerable and at high risk.

In fact, I think anyone over 65, regardless of social status, should be tested as a priority if they show any symptoms.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Depends who it is. I think the Queen and Philip definitely should be tested if they show symptoms and I'm indifferent to the Royal family. They're both vulnerable and at high risk.

In fact, I think anyone over 65, regardless of social status, should be tested as a priority if they show any symptoms.
Yes, but because of their age and nothing to do with their status.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Significantly more traffic on the roads today - feels like the honeymoon is over and people are getting frustrated. Wonder how the government will react given their limited ability to enforce further measures.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just had to queue to get into Lidl. It was fine because there wasn't too many people but can't imagine what it will be like tomorrow. It's for the best though...

Also still had most things in stock despite being the end of the day, just sparse selection of fresh meat and very few loaves on the shelf.

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
Updated plots from the FT:

I was hopeful that we were flattening the curve in London but that looks premature.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
ROI doing the right thing with their lockdown.

eujmuasxyaazvyk_by_edmonddantes9285_ddtdsfy-pre.jpg

The 2km radius may well be implemented in the UK if things carry on as they are.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
User Banned (3 days): inappropriate joke
I am convinced Greta Thunberg started this to deal with Climate change

had sex with 3 bats. Then ate their penis

Miss Piggy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm really pissed about the UK government's advice of suspected cases only self-isolating for 7 days then going back to work. I work in a hospital and a colleague restarted work and I'm worried she's infecting everyone.

I can't even say anything because that's the official guidelines when it would be much safer at 14 days (like other countries). She still can't taste or smell anything, which is a major red flag. She coughs into her hand and goes straight back to touching our shared computers. She wipes her nose with her forearm and keeps on handling notes.

I suggested to manager that we all wear face masks and manager said no because other departments aren't. I suspect it's for optics so it doesn't scare patients. Who cares about protecting your own staff, eh?

Our professional body released advice today saying we should wear masks as we are in prolonged close contact with patients, so I'm showing that to her on Monday and wearing masks regardless.

Colleague should really be wearing them to prevent infecting patients. Masks are the rubbish paper thin ones, but better than nothing. Literally do not have the proper respirator/N95 masks in our department.

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I can't even say anything because that's the official guidelines when it would be much safer at 14 days. She still can't taste or smell anything, which is a major red flag. She coughs into her hand and goes straight back to touching our shared computers. She wipes her nose with her arm and keeps on handling notes.

Manager is useless and just happy she's back. I suggested we all wear face masks and manager said no. Our professional body released advice today saying we should as we are in prolonged close contact with patients, so I'm showing that to her on Monday and wearing face masks regardless.
Jesus Christ. Just... fucksake.

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dragged myself into work (Lidl) yesterday and got called a "pussyhole" "dickhead" and got all sorts of verbal abuse, for trying to stop this woman from buying 32 packs of pasta...

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Dragged myself into work (Lidl) yesterday and got called a "pussyhole" "dickhead" and got all sorts of verbal abuse for trying to stop this woman from buying 32 packs of pasta. Debating on whether I want to go back in tomorrow.
What the fuck is wrong with people? Don't they realise that by hoarding food there are vulnerable people who literally can't get any? Assholes.

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is wrong with people? Don't they realise that by hoarding food there are vulnerable people who literally can't get any? Assholes.

Was muttering under her breath that she was gonna 'just come back in an hour'.

Was doing all this in front of her kids as well. One of which was even counting the pasta in front of me as if they wanted me to see that their mum had taken too many *sigh

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Was muttering under her breath that she was gonna 'just come back in an hour'.

Was doing all this in front of her kids as well. One of which was even counting the pasta in front of me as if they wanted me to see that their mum had taken too many *sigh
The supermarkets need to impose a 30 item limit per shop, and get security to enforce it. The system they're using right now isn't working. They can't rely on people not to be idiots, because they're idiots.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eesh, friends wife who works for the NHS has been sent an email telling all staff to hide their NHS badges when leaving work. People have been going up to them and pinching them.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm genuinely astonished and depressed at the weak mindedness and general lack of character on display by the British public during all of this. We wax lyrical about our stiff upper lip and blitz spirit, and then go to pieces the second we can't get toilet roll or are asked to stay indoors so as not to spread a deadly disease.

We'd go to fucking pieces in a war. We're utterly pathetic.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Dragged myself into work (Lidl) yesterday and got called a "pussyhole" "dickhead" and got all sorts of verbal abuse, for trying to stop this woman from buying 32 packs of pasta...

the blame is 100% on Lidl and stores in general, not on the panicking lady or you,

fucking stores should put a big disclaimer, "2 Max per customer!"

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the blame is 100% on Lidl and stores in general, not on the panicking lady or you,

fucking stores should put a big disclaimer, "2 Max per customer!"

I went to Lidl earlier and they do have signs saying 4 per person(Which is quite generous).

Sainsbury's also had signs up when I went earlier in the week.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
tbf, this has brought out the best and worst of humanity.

People are being absolute dicks, taking more food than they need, stealing badges, insulting, racism, etc

But we've also seen the best of humanity. Plenty of people doing their absolute best to help those in need, FB groups set up to help those w ho can't leave the house, signing up for that NHS volunteer thing, etc.

It's quite the contrast tbh.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I'm genuinely astonished and depressed at the weak mindedness and general lack of character on display by the British public during all of this. We wax lyrical about our stiff upper lip and blitz spirit, and then go to pieces the second we can't get toilet roll or are asked to stay indoors so as not to spread a deadly disease.

We'd go to fucking pieces in a war. We're utterly pathetic.
It's Brexit - a lot of this can be traced back to that. It's whole message was we are better on our own being selfish. It awakened a whole lot of horrible things, in a lot of people. Same reason racism has increased in football.

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose there is an argument that even if you live in a rural setting, you should exercise close to home.
I don't know why they haven't done this. Same with online. It's a simple fix.

Most supermarkets and UK shops barely have security. There's a lot of stores for example that have part time security (i.e. some days there's no one there). Those that are there can't go around policing the aisles. It would take weeks at this point to re-train existing staff/hire more security. Plus the police in normal times rarely respond to thefts, with the current situation they definitely aren't going to turn up for Karen buying 32 bags of dry pasta.

You're then asking Joe bloggs stacking the shelves to act as security, which they aren't going to do for the money that they're on.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
The supermarkets need to impose a 30 item limit per shop, and get security to enforce it. The system they're using right now isn't working. They can't rely on people not to be idiots, because they're idiots.

Tesco has restricted online to 80 items. 30 items per shop is a bit low considering people shopping for families with kids and vulnerable people that can't go out.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Tesco has restricted online to 80 items. 30 items per shop is a bit low considering people shopping for families with kids and vulnerable people that can't go out.
80 is wayyy too high when there are severe e shortages of basic items. We have two children and 20 items would last us a week, which is enough. The problem is that people are hoarding for months of food.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I suppose there is an argument that even if you live in a rural setting, you should exercise close to home.

Most supermarkets and UK shops barely have security. There's a lot of stores for example that have part time security (i.e. some days there's no one there). Those that are there can't go around policing the aisles. It would take weeks at this point to re-train existing staff/hire more security. Plus the police in normal times rarely respond to thefts, with the current situation they definitely aren't going to turn up for Karen buying 32 bags of dry pasta.

You're then asking Joe bloggs stacking the shelves to act as security, which they aren't going to do for the money that they're on.
Well then the government needs to step in and pass an emergency law about the number of items, because the current situation is chaotic and unsustainable. The largest supermarket chains are utterly failing. Our huge Sainsburys in our small town should be transformed into only stocking the basic things. But of course they haven't done that, because they're useless.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
BBC NEWS said:
Trump: Johnson asked for ventilators

US President Donald Trump says Boris Johnson asked for his help to secure ventilators during a phone call between the two leaders.
Speaking at the White House as he signed the $2tn coronavirus stimulus package into law, Mr Trump said he spoke with the UK PM on Friday to wish him a speedy recovery after he was diagnosed with coronavirus.
"Before he even said hello he said, 'we need ventilators,'" Trump said of the call. "I said, 'wow that's a big statement.'

The desperation is frightening.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What would you guys do if your employer was forcing you to come into the office, even if you had the capacity to work from home for 99% of your job? Asking for a... Uh... Friend.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
What would you guys do if your employer was forcing you to come into the office, even if you had the capacity to work from home for 99% of your job? Asking for a... Uh... Friend.
I would remind them of their legal obligation to take all reasonable steps to ensure the health and safety of their employees, and say that you intend to work from home in accordance with the government guidelines. They aren't going to sack you for that.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Trump: Johnson asked for ventilators

US President Donald Trump says Boris Johnson asked for his help to secure ventilators during a phone call between the two leaders.

Speaking at the White House as he signed the $2tn coronavirus stimulus package into law, Mr Trump said he spoke with the UK PM on Friday to wish him a speedy recovery after he was diagnosed with coronavirus.

"Before he even said hello he said, 'we need ventilators,'" Trump said of the call. "I said, 'wow that's a big statement.' Hopefully he's going to be in good shape."

No 10 has yet to respond to Mr Trump's comments.

Well, that's encouraging...

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
80 is wayyy too high when there are severe e shortages of basic items. We have two children and 20 items would last us a week, which is enough. The problem is that people are hoarding for months of food.

Family of 6 here, and I can't imagine how 20 items (or even 20 types of items) would cover us for a week's shop. Going off the typical checklist we've made for doing our weekly shops, our normal once-a-week shop consists of around 30-40 types of items, and we can easily buy 2, 3 or even 4 of some items to do us (for example, we use four loaves of bread a week in a typical week, as we have four children who take pack lunch as we're not entitled to free school meals). A weekly shop can easily consist of 80-odd items, and even doing the reduced shops we have been since this kicked off I'd reckon we're buying at least 60+ items still, and that's not to hoard or stockpile, but just to buy enough to feed four kids and two adults for a week, plus necessary toiletries etc. Cutting it to the bone, we'd still be 40-odd items.

I think Tesco's 80-item limit is probably around right for now to give room to cover families like ours, or a bit larger. Obviously it's overkill for single shoppers, and perhaps more generous for smaller families, but that's where a degree of personal responsibility comes in.

We had some local onion here suggesting that Morrisons should be locking up all of their trolleys and telling people to use baskets only for their shop. My other half firmly pointed out that for us, that would mean filling something like 10 baskets to do a normal weekly shop and even assuming we cut further back than we already have, we'd still be making 7 trips in and out of the shop to do a single shop. How would that square with trying to limit exposure for ourselves (as long as we remain healthy) or to others (in the event we become asymptomatic carriers)? We'd need to spend at least twice as long shopping as normal, in contact with many more people in the shop and at tills than normal, or we'd need to make multiple trips to the shop a week, going against government guidance. Fine for the onion who lived alone and could do a week's shop with an overloaded basket; not so much for families.