• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019

He had symptoms AND was in parliament yesterday, what a fucking moron. Patel is next to get it
TELEMMGLPICT000228522216_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNJjoeBT78QIaYdkJdEY4CnGTJFJS74MYhNY6w3GNbO8.jpeg

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Hancock pulling a Rand Paul and living a normal life with symptoms rubbing shoulders with the leaders of the country. Meanwhile they are telling anyone tested or showing symptoms to isolate.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Big dumb question, but let's say UBI did come into action and we all got £2k a month. Wouldn't everything just cost correct to make the £2k worth nothing?

Kinda like a mini hyper inflation? Renting would just start at 2k + whatever the normal figure is now? Stuff like that?
Yep, Landlords gonna see the £ signs. Dreaming of a second mercedes.

Nov 14, 2017
Big dumb question, but let's say UBI did come into action and we all got £2k a month. Wouldn't everything just cost correct to make the £2k worth nothing?

Kinda like a mini hyper inflation? Renting would just start at 2k + whatever the normal figure is now? Stuff like that?
That depends on a lot of things.

The way to think about inflation is this: if you have more money chasing the same amount of stuff, you'll get inflation. You can see this happen in a lot of places; the one that always springs to mind for me is Somalia. When pirates started hijacking cargo ships and getting bounties for hundreds of thousands of dollars paid, the prices for local food and other supplies went through the roof. So, same amount of stuff with more money means inflation.

You can also see this in some rental markets like SF or London. SF is a prime example: they have restrictive planning laws so housing supply is short. Lots of techbro millionaires come flooding in and prices go through the roof.

However, if someone gets more money and they are able to buy things they otherwise wouldn't, there's no inflation. Instead that's just a straight increase in consumption. For most people on low incomes, they have lots of unmet needs that they would spend that money on. So, you can see how in reality you get both real growth and inflation when people have more money in their pocket.

So, to answer your question, the answer is maybe. In places like London where the rental market is broken, then yes there's a good chance that any extra money would just get eaten up by landlords. They would know everyone has got more money and just put the prices up. This is one of the big problems with UBI: it's not a solution by itself. In the USA, there's a good chance that any UBI would also get eaten up by health insurance premiums.

UBI is only part of the solution. What's also needed is for things where supply is constrained and demand is inelastic - such as housing and healthcare - to either be regulated, or decommodified and provided on the basis of need. That's the only way to ensure that UBI is spent on real need and not just subsidising rent seeking behaviour.

TheRealAidan

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, England

UPDATE on coronavirus (#COVID19) testing in the UK: As of 9am 27 March, a total of 113,777 have been tested: 99,198 negative. 14,579 positive. As of 5pm on 26 March, of those hospitalised in the UK, 759 have sadly died.

+2921 new cases
+181 new deaths

Huge jump :(

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
UK deaths up to 759, up almost 200 from yesterday.

Yesterday was 578, up over 100 from the day before.

Anyone who thought this was slowing down after that blip where we only had 40 or so due to them rejigging the figures couldn't have been more wrong.

First world leader to test positive right? Doesn't that tell you he was not taking the precautions right there? If Trump was holding big rallies up until weeks ago and tested negative...

Bolsanaro had it. Others probably have too, testing is too slap dash to know.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
twitter.com

Peng Wu on Twitter

“【27 March】 8911 had coronavirus tests, 2921 were confirmed as positive, confirmed rate is 32.78%. Check more details in the data dashboard https://t.co/SQw1mE8N05”

twitter.com

Peng Wu on Twitter

“【27 March】I will voluntarily summarize the update data and make a line chart in real time to better understand the growth trend of the number of infected people. Check more details in the data dashboard https://t.co/SQw1mE8N05 14579 were confirmed as positive as of 9am today”

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
UK deaths up to 759, up almost 200 from yesterday.

Yesterday was 578, up over 100 from the day before.

Anyone who thought this was slowing down after that blip where we only had 40 or so due to them rejigging the figures couldn't have been more wrong.

Bolsanaro had it. Others probably have too, testing is too slap dash to know.

Wouldn't this also be from the numbers being rejigged a smaller day then a bigger day today? So next couple of days with just full days reporting we will start to know if quarantine is starting to work.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I think they need to lock London down much tighter. No need for rest of country yet

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't this also be from the numbers being rejigged a smaller day then a bigger day today? So next couple of days with just full days reporting we will start to know if quarantine is starting to work.

I think this is the first full day's figures, from 5pm on Wednesday until 5pm yesterday.

It is a big jump, definitely.

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017

UPDATE on coronavirus (#COVID19) testing in the UK: As of 9am 27 March, a total of 113,777 have been tested: 99,198 negative. 14,579 positive. As of 5pm on 26 March, of those hospitalised in the UK, 759 have sadly died.

+2921 new cases
+181 new deaths

Huge jump :(

The UK now facing the consequences of not locking down a week earlier than actually did.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Be interesting to see next weeks numbers - we all expected it to rise significantly as we've only really been locked down for this week.

Won't know the impact really until next week.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
After the idiocy on display last weekend I'm not surprised we're seeing a spike now, would about match with the incubation period for people who caught it at the weekend wouldn't it?

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017

As I understand it, that's already happened - it's why we went from around 80-90 to around 40, then jumped back up over 100 yesterday. If it's closing in on 200 today, this looks like being when things really start to accelerate. I wouldn't be surprised with figures around 225-250 tomorrow, climbing the hundreds over the next week.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
So I mentioned in another thread that my grandfather, and possibly my grandmother and me having COVID-19.

Today my Grandfather took a turn for the worst, he hasn't died, but Doctors said he is critical... And he can't be moved out of his psych-ward because there isn't space, and he isn't in need of a ventilator.

But with his underlying conditions, it's looking bad.

I hope my Grandma doesn't have it either - having both of my adoptive parents die from this would be beyond shit.

Edit: To clarify, me, my partner and Grandma "may" have it as she'd have got it from him, and me from her.

We're not sure when he caught it, he was diagnosed on Wednesday with it, and today seems quite fatigued.

I don't know much else, but I will call the hospital later and clear up everything.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
So I mentioned in another thread that my grandfather, and possibly my grandmother and me having COVID-19.

Today my Grandfather took a turn for the worst, he hasn't died, but Doctors said he is critical... And he can't be moved out of his psych-ward because there isn't space, and he isn't in need of a ventilator.

But with his underlying conditions, it's looking bad.

I hope my Grandma doesn't have it either - having both of my adoptive parents die from this would be beyond shit.

Edit: To clarify, me, my partner and Grandma "may" have it as she'd have got it from him, and me from her.

We're not sure when he caught it, he was diagnosed on Wednesday with it, and today seems quite fatigued.

I don't know much else, but I will call the hospital later and clear up everything.
That sucks. Hope it gets better for you all. A horrible situation.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
This close to 5% death rate is holding fairly steady.
If all we're testing is people admitted to hospital then this will climb well above 5%. When it does people need to not be alarmed by it as it's a side effect of the limited group we're testing.

Also, people need to stop wondering if numbers announced have any connection to a lockdown. You won't see any effects of that for 2-3 weeks and in the meantime numbers will continue to climb.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Also, people need to stop wondering if numbers announced have any connection to a lockdown. You won't see any effects of that for 2-3 weeks and in the meantime numbers will continue to climb.

Patrick Vallance was on the radio this morning and said he expects to see the numbers continue to rise for the next 2 to 3 weeks, and after that we'll see if the lockdown is working or not.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So, that protective eyewear for NHS staff that we've been scrambling to find...

The Department of Health rejected high-level medical advice about providing NHS staff with certain protective equipment during an influenza pandemic because stockpiling it would be too expensive, the Guardian can reveal.

Documents show that officials working under former health secretary Jeremy Hunt told medical advisers three years ago to "reconsider" a formal recommendation that eye protection should be provided to all healthcare professionals who have close contact with pandemic influenza patients.

The expert advice was watered down after an "economic assessment" found a medical recommendation about providing visors or safety glasses to all hospital, ambulance and social care staff who have close contact with pandemic influenza patients would "substantially increase" the costs of stockpiling.

The documents may help explain a devastating shortage of protective gear in the NHS that is hampering efforts by medical staff to manage the Covid-19 virus pandemic.

www.theguardian.com

Advice on protective gear for NHS staff was rejected owing to cost

Exclusive: DoH dismissed call for eye protection – now needed for coronavirus – in 2017

Government response:
In its statement to the Guardian, the DHSC said: "As the public rightly expects, decisions of this nature are evidence-based and take into account a number of factors, including expert clinical guidance, cost effectiveness and practical consideration, such as shelf life and storage.
"The government has prepared and stockpiled for an influenza pandemic. The documents clearly state that the scientific evidence did not support a vast increase in procurement expenditure on face masks with integrated eye protection for pandemic influenza."

Oct 27, 2017
So, that protective eyewear for NHS staff that we've been scrambling to find...

www.theguardian.com

Advice on protective gear for NHS staff was rejected owing to cost

Exclusive: DoH dismissed call for eye protection – now needed for coronavirus – in 2017

I think we all kind of figured this would be the case when, over the past week or so, Jeremy Hunt has been on a non-stop spree of criticising everybody else's handling of this (not least of all that of his own government). He was just trying to make sure the blame was sufficiently diffuse before the reckless actions when he was in charge became known.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think we all kind of figured this would be the case when, over the past week or so, Jeremy Hunt has been on a non-stop spree of criticising everybody else's handling of this (not least of all that of his own government). He was just trying to make sure the blame was sufficiently diffuse before the reckless actions when he was in charge became known.
Yeah, I don't know why he's been so desperate to comment when NHS staff have been saying for years that the system was on it's knees before he started taking an axe to it.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Chris Whitty is now self-isolating - just reported on BBC News.

Can't see it on the websites/live blogs yet.