• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I think similar happened across the UK, Manchester was just one of the first places they launched.
I mean, that company also went bust in China a few months later for largely the same reasons. People stealing the bikes, the bikes costing too much and bringing in too little etc.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Collectivism has been treated as a bad thing for over 40 years in the Anglo-Saxon world.

Rich people dont like when the poors gang up on them, even though it would be a good thing right about now.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely gutted that the weather is picking up and I'm stuck in doors in a pit. Absolutely gutted that I've seen my girlfriend once in the last 2 weeks because she's a care worker. Absolutely gutted that this government has shredded the police force so there's no way of forcing the selfish cunts sunning themselves killing other people out there to stay inside.

Bad weekend.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely gutted that the weather is picking up and I'm stuck in doors in a pit. Absolutely gutted that I've seen my girlfriend once in the last 2 weeks because she's a care worker. Absolutely gutted that this government has shredded the police force so there's no way of forcing the selfish cunts sunning themselves killing other people out there to stay inside.

Bad weekend.
I'm really sorry. Wish there was something i could say to help.

And to you point about the police. That's what the army is for.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Every day I consider more and more whether I can just pack my job in and try to weather the storm with what finances I have left as they continue to make us commute to the office. Ugh.

I know its paranoia but fucks sake man.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every day I consider more and more whether I can just pack my job in and try to weather the storm with what finances I have left as they continue to make us commute to the office. Ugh.

I know its paranoia but fucks sake man.
It's not paranoia.

And this is going to last a couple of years (at the very least) So i wouldn't quit your job.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Supermarkets either need to be closed or there needs to be a constant police presence within them.

No matter what the fancy adverts say the measures put in place are not working, it's all just PR nonsense. Supermarkets are COVID-19 hotspots and they will only make things much, much worse until there are actual rules being enforced instead of simple 'guidelines'.

In my one the entire fucking staff in both main departments (checkouts and store-floor) were constantly close to each other acting as if nothing was happening. The customers were barely recognising social distancing whilst in the shop itself. In the self-checkouts I was still getting situations where I had multiple people needing help at the same time.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Although seeing shit like this makes me strongly in favour of increasing the fines significantly

twitter.com

Camden Town & Primrose Hill Police on Twitter

“#Disappointed is the only word to describe what we found in #PrimroseHill park today. We moved on 100+ people who we found with full picnics or blankets sunbathing or catching up with their friends! Check out a photo we took when we then returned a short while later...”

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Me and my partner go for a daily walk to our local park, keeping our distance from anyone and sitting for a bit in the enclosed nature reserve area where we're always by ourselves.

Today, it was as busy, if not busier, than a nice pre-quarantine day. Multiple groups larger than 2, tons of large families, people sunbathing. I expect the park will be closed, and justifiably, but I'm annoyed I'm gonna lose a space we were using responsibly because people are so obviously flaunting the lockdown.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Supermarkets either need to be closed or there needs to be a constant police presence within them.

No matter what the fancy adverts say the measures put in place are not working, it's all just PR nonsense. Supermarkets are COVID-19 hotspots and they will only make things much, much worse until there are actual rules being enforced instead of simple 'guidelines'.

In my one the entire fucking staff in both main departments (checkouts and store-floor) were constantly close to each other acting as if nothing was happening. The customers were barely recognising social distancing whilst in the shop itself. In the self-checkouts I was still getting situations where I had multiple people needing help at the same time.
So glad my vulnerable mother was able to get on the priority list for online deliveries. Yeah I can't see how there's anything they can do to really keep staff/customers totally safe.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So glad my vulnerable mother was able to get on the priority list for online deliveries. Yeah I can't see how there's anything they can do to really keep staff/customers totally safe.

There is stuff that they can do, but they're not doing it and likely won't. Even the managers in my store didn't seem to give a single shit about social distancing. I was almost ready to tell one to fuck off when they started getting uncomfortably close to me for no reason.

I simply don't feel safe at all there and I don't know how I'm going to cope having to go in on Easter Weekend. The amount of fucking sickening cunts coming in because "oh we just need a leg of lamb for the tradition and we forgot to buy the kids some easter eggs!" is going to be insane.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
There is stuff that they can do, but they're not doing it and likely won't. Even the managers in my store didn't seem to give a single shit about social distancing. I was almost ready to tell one to fuck off when they started getting uncomfortably close to me for no reason.

I simply don't feel safe at all there and I don't know how I'm going to cope having to go in on Easter Weekend. The amount of fucking sickening cunts coming in because "oh we just need a leg of lamb for the tradition and we forgot to buy the kids some easter eggs!" is going to be insane.
yeah. I dunno how feasible it would be, but I wonder if forcing people in cars to remain in their cars and just order via an app or whatever might be a better system. Obviously not everyone has a car...

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yeah. I dunno how feasible it would be, but I wonder if forcing people in cars to remain in their cars and just order via an app or whatever might be a better system. Obviously not everyone has a car...

Tesco at least has this with click& collect but their capacity for it is miniscule compared to demand at the moment. I don't think they have the staff to increase that, or else they would, let alone switching the store to that system alone.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Tesco at least has this with click& collect but their capacity for it is miniscule compared to demand at the moment. I don't think they have the staff to increase that, or else they would, let alone switching the store to that system alone.
Well I mean if they stopped letting people in the stores, they could reassign staff. It would be safer for staff and customers. But yeah I know it would not be simple, and maybe there are problems I have not considered.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know what's happened to Amazon Fresh delivery slots? Used to be reliably released at midnight, now they're not. Still trying to get one more slot before our 14 days isolation is up. :(

suedester

Oct 25, 2017
A few pictures of a busy park and this thread is advocating a full police state. Have a word with yourselves.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Here are some of my ideas:

1) No more customers than the total amount of aisles in the store. Small Tesco Express with only 3 aisles? 3 Customers. No more.
2) No more than a single person in any one aisle at a time. That includes shelf-stackers.
3) Payment is done only via one or, at most, two self-checkout machines at a significant distant apart from one another. If you need any help you are to go to a designated zone outside the self-checkout area and allow the self-checkout operator to do their job.
4) No ID-checks for items that restricted 'Think 25' items as to check ID requires breaking of social distancing. If you look under the age of 25 you are not being sold alcohol. No exceptions.
5) No mask, no entry. No exceptions.
6) No children allowed unless in a pram or trolley seat.
7) Immediate blacklisting of any customer that breaks these rules.

They're severe measures but what we have right now is as effective at actually stopping the virus as a sign that says "pls do not steal," is at stopping theft. Even with all these measures you still can't trust the staff (from managers down) to not be complete fucking idiotic cunts so, hey, maybe there is nothing we can effectively do here.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

1) No more customers than the total amount of aisles in the store. Small Tesco Express with only 3 aisles? 3 Customers. No more.
2) No more than a single person in any one aisle at a time. That includes shelf-stackers.
3) Payment is done only via one or, at most, two self-checkout machines at a significant distant apart from one another. If you need any help you are to go to a designated zone outside the self-checkout area and allow the self-checkout operator to do their job.
4) No ID-checks for items that restricted 'Think 25' items as to check ID requires breaking of social distancing. If you look under the age of 25 you are not being sold alcohol. No exceptions.

They're severe measures but what we have right now is as effective at actually stopping the virus as a sign that says "pls do not steal," is at stopping theft. Even with all these measures you still can't trust the staff to not be complete fucking idiotic cunts so, hey, maybe there is nothing we can effectively do here.

That child policy is ridiculous. What do you expect a single mum to do with older kids who has nobody to watch them?

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of pensioners and the like have no clue how to us self check outs, and the no masks policy is unfeasible given that its still impossible for a lot of people to reasonably GET masks.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

They're severe measures but what we have right now is as effective at actually stopping the virus as a sign that says "pls do not steal," is at stopping theft. Even with all these measures you still can't trust the staff (from managers down) to not be complete fucking idiotic cunts so, hey, maybe there is nothing we can effectively do here.
Everything past your first two ideas are terrible.

suedester

Oct 25, 2017

Completely unrealistic. We'll be queuing for hours. The current measures aren't designed to eradicate the disease, they are meant to severely slow it's spread. I think a lot of people here don't really understand that.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think there is little you can do in supermarkets other than making it a one way course that goes around the whole shop and going nuts on the cleaning, Waitrose is top on the latter, they wipe everything. Asda and such have arrows on the floor but it's so so with people following it and you can't really help bunch ups at times.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Mandating mask wearing isn't going to happen, they were already sold out before we even had the first UK infection, and production of new ones isn't even able to cover the NHS properly. People aren't going to go out with t shirts wrapped around their face like people have been suggesting in the other thread

gerg

Oct 25, 2017

Do you want to wait five hours to go shopping? These are all terrible ideas that would grind supermarkets to a halt.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Mandating mask wearing isn't going to happen, they were already sold out before we even had the first UK infection, and production of new ones isn't even able to cover the NHS properly. People aren't going to go out with t shirts wrapped around their face like people have been suggesting in the other thread
I covered my face with a scarf last time I went outside (16th of March).

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's incredibly embarassing how as a country how selfish we are. 708 people died today yet STILL people ignore rules and go about their day. Absolutely selfish and despicable.

Every other country can abide by the rules and stay at home, so why can't we? The way we as a country are dealing with this is embarassing. I have been sat at home with my partner in our one bed flat since day one. Saving the lives of others and ourselves and going out only where we absolutely have to (twice!) yet the same people we try to protect continue to play Superman. Well, fuck the lot of them. At this point I lost my sympathy for them if they catch this.

It's disgusting and on top of it our light touch Government REALLY better up their game or Bank Holiday will take us right back to point A. We're NOT going to see the end of this until we ALL do our bit. The situation is dire and all becausd these people don't know anyone sick with it doesn't mean they can be complacent.

Fuck

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredibly embarassing how as a country how selfish we are. 708 people died today yet STILL people ignore rules and go about their day. Absolutely selfish and despicable.

Every other country can abide by the rules and stay at home, so why can't we? The way we as a country are dealing with this is embarassing. I have been sat at home with my partner in our one bed flat since day one. Saving the lives of others and ourselves and going out only where we absolutely have to (twice!) yet the same people we try to protect continue to play Superman. Well, fuck the lot of them. At this point I lost my sympathy for them if they catch this.

It's disgusting and on top of it our light touch Government REALLY better up their game or Bank Holiday will take us right back to point A. We're NOT going to see the end of this until we ALL do our bit. The situation is dire and all becausd these people don't know anyone sick with it doesn't mean they can be complacent.

Fuck

The bolded isn't entirely accurate. I believe the French, Spanish and Italian police have all been handing out thousands of fines to people breaking the rules (and the French government is pleading with people not to travel next weekend).

Plum

May 31, 2018
That child policy is ridiculous. What do you expect a single mum to do with older kids who has nobody to watch them?

You are right there, my bad for not thinking about those sorts of situations. I'll change that one rule to simply 'Any child must be accompanied by an adult at all times'.

A lot of pensioners and the like have no clue how to us self check outs, and the no masks policy is unfeasible given that its still impossible for a lot of people to reasonable GET masks.

Masks can be a simple scarf, t-shirt or something homemade. There is no reason to allow people with uncovered mouths into supermarkets where they have the potential of infecting practically the entire sop.

As for people not knowing how to use self check-outs, they can learn; it's not difficult in the slightest. I have no sympathy for someone refusing to learn how to use them when doing so puts both theirs and other people's lives at risk.

If you honestly, for reasons out of your control, cannot use the self-service checkout then you can ask the assistant to do it for you. There is no reason to have direct person-to-person interaction at times like these.

Everything past your first two ideas are terrible.

As someone who's seen what supermarkets actually look like I can't agree at all. What we have now is safety theatre. Supermarkets need to be treated as the super-spreading zones they potentially are instead of the free-for-all fun clubs with minor numbers restrictions.

Completely unrealistic. We'll be queuing for hours. The current measures aren't designed to eradicate the disease, they are meant to severely slow it's spread. I think a lot of people here don't really understand that.

I do understand exactly why these measures are here. However what we have right now are condensed potential super-spreading zones in every single town and city within the UK. They will be the catalyst for thousands of deaths that could have been avoided if restrictions were more effective than what we have now.

As for queues, minimum item limits alongside the current maximum item limits would help that. Temporary stock increases for long-life items would help as well. The vast majority of shops I saw in my shift were 'just a few bits' kinds of shops instead of shops that one should actually be making to accommodate self isolation and lockdown. If we're going to save more lives we need to make shifts to how we shop, move away from the idea that the Supermarket is just where you go to get what you need 'for the time being'.

Cagen

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Coronavirus Act 2020 - which only applies to "potentially infectious persons"

I've not read the act, is this true?

If so, what kind of nonsense is that? How do you define a "potentially infectious person", does the act do it? With how easily it spreads, relatively low overall fatality rate and an obvious abundance of asymptomatic carriers though technically unproven without antibody tests, I'd class every single person in the country as "potentially infectious".

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
They're not terrible though.

They kind of are. There are a small number of aisles that virtually all shoppers are likely to prioritise (fresh meat, pasta etc). So they immediately become bottlenecks with people queuing at the entrances to those aisles. Someone wants to stack the shelves there and the whole thing grinds to a halt. Not all aisles are equal, either - we're letting one person in for meat and one person in for birthday cards and expecting this to distribute evenly around the store?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
They kind of are. There are a small number of aisles that virtually all shoppers are likely to prioritise (fresh meat, pasta etc). So they immediately become bottlenecks with people queuing at the entrances to those aisles. Someone wants to stack the shelves there and the whole thing grinds to a halt. Not all aisles are equal, either - we're letting one person in for meat and one person in for birthday cards and expecting this to distribute evenly around the store?
Randomly assigned lots obviously. You're going to the Blu-Ray aisle and that's your lot for this week's shopping, sorry.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how wise it is to unleash a military untrained in dealing with the general public on the streets with more power than the real police had before this.
Hmmm.

I guess, i just don't know what to do, ya know.

But the lockdown need to be enforced. Because the voluntary shit isn't working.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
In India the police are going around on mopeds armed with twatting sticks, twatting the fuck outta people on the street.

Maybe if we armed our coppers with cricket bats?

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
In India the police are going around on mopeds armed with twatting sticks, twatting the fuck outta people on the street.

Maybe if we armed our coppers with cricket bats?
Hockey sticks because of the better reach imo
But the lockdown need to be enforced. Because the voluntary shit isn't working.
Not enough police to enforce it thanks to cuts. Probably would need the TA or the main Army to enforce properly. Then again, unintended consequences and all that. Double the fines then in that case.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Im stuck inside the house for the second week now, only dashing out briefly for essentials, bored out of my mind, and trying to entertain my autistic 6 yr old who is currently on a permanent freak out.

Then there are these cunts....
news.sky.com

Coronavirus: Sunbathers and picnickers seen flouting lockdown despite 'stay at home' plea

The government had been nervous that people would not be able to resist warmer weather and head outside despite the lockdown.

Deleted member 21431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You guys need to chill with the police state stuff, just close the parks for now.
Won't work. Morons will still flood supermarkets buying non essential items such as booze and DVD's, go cycling in packs on roads, joggers will still run within inches of people etc (all things I saw/experienced yesterday). You have pictures of people sunbathing and having picnics in parks. Clearer, stricter rules are required AND NEED TO BE ENFORCED.

If people are abusing the "go shopping" and "go out to exercise" guidelines, then both need to be changed.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't twatting sticks the standard gear for the Indian police. So that doesn't really count. LOL.
Not enough police to enforce it thanks to cuts. Probably would need the TA or the main Army to enforce properly. Then again, unintended consequences and all that. Double the fines then in that case.
I've been thinking anyone who gets caught after being fined once, should be fucking ankle tagged.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Im stuck inside the house for the second week now, only dashing out briefly for essentials, bored out of my mind, and trying to entertain my autistic 6 yr old who is currently on a permanent freak out.

Then there are these cunts....
news.sky.com

Coronavirus: Sunbathers and picnickers seen flouting lockdown despite 'stay at home' plea

The government had been nervous that people would not be able to resist warmer weather and head outside despite the lockdown.
Should have on-the-spot fined them. £30 each. None of this pay in 14 days malarkey. Besides, the vibe I'm getting is that the more affluent parts of London had these instances.
And hot take; aren't those middle class groups pictured?