• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Tory cuts kill

faoL3NS.png

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/27/uk/coronavirus-uk-hospitals-masks-gbr-intl/index.html

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
And for every cynic, there was another that appreciated the thought if nothing else. Can't please everyone!

(Have never voted Tory in my life, just for the record)

Oct 30, 2017
Regarding gloves when shopping.

I wear cycling gloves purely for the in your face colour to stop me touching my face; they're washed every time we well (only once a week after all).

However, anyone wearing them for hygiene is on a cold errand. They could only work if everyone else is as spotless.

Otherwise, every object is a possible vector as it had contact with other people, from other shoppers to the shelf stackers to the checkout cashier's. That means your tin of beans or your pack of fish fingers.

If you're not also getting home and either setting everything aside untouched for a couple of days, or wiping down, gloves are simply giving you a false sense of security.

We now have a bowl of disinfectant ready and wipe down everything before it gets put away, and then tbh it's not touched for at least 24 hours anyway.

I'm the same with any post through the door. No idea where it's been, so it's treated similarly. Even packages - yeah, get rid of the external packing but someone has also handled the goods inside.

Tbh it's all enough to drive me round the bend thinking about it.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
And for every cynic, there was another that appreciated the thought if nothing else. Can't please everyone!

(Have never voted Tory in my life, just for the record)

And then told afterwards you should be overwhelmed?
A lot of people who clapped just wanted to show everyone how much they care, they don't actually give a fuck about the NHS

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Still think that a silver lining out of this crisis might be the general public reflecting on how vital frontline services/social care really is.

I think it's going to be difficult for any party to not seriously focus on healthcare spending once we're out of this mess.

And even on the public spending side of things generally, might be hard to roll back these protections once people have realised how desperate everything can feel so quickly.

There was that joke about the Tories having to enact most of Labour's policies - don't think they'll go that far but I do think public spending is going to be far more palatable for everyone now the box has opened.

I don't know, I'm just looking for the positives in the longer term.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Most of my family are frontline NHS staff. None of them appreciated such an organised meek gesture. PPE and proper funding on the other hand..
I hate that every time the NHS comes under strain it's portrayed as an underdog protagonist like that's it's natural state and nothing can be done. Yeah, any person that dedicates their lives to helping the sick is a hero and, I've spoken about this before, I'd never judge anyone for lending support in any form here because unanimously we ain't voting Tory but I hate to see the continuation of a narrative that the NHS's struggles are pre-destined and unavoidable when it's been engineered by a government that thinks we're subhuman.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just went for a midnight stroll through the town center near my house, fucking eerie as hell. Saw 2 people, one of whom had a hi-vis vest and flashlight.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Just been for a quick drive to drop off my best friends phone he ordered LAST MONTH to my address, and I got it all set up for him. Yes I practiced social distancing, yes I rejected his offer of coming in for a brew. Wore mask and gloves. Yes it pissed both of us off heh. We promised we will have one together a s soon as the government dials down the social distancing and it is safe to do so. Opted for going home and doing a whatsapp video call instead.

You could hear nothing but the wind when I was talking to him and I saw nothing but a handful taxis driving on the way there and back again. The silence was insane and quietness was indeed eerie but cool too.

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
I haven't left the house in 2 1/2 weeks. Random worry but how can I charge my cars battery? I've got a 5 week old baby and in case of emergency I don't want it to be flat. I don't live on a hill so can't bump start the thing either.

Any suggestions?

Cruets

Nov 1, 2017
I haven't left the house in 2 1/2 weeks. Random worry but how can I charge my cars battery? I've got a 5 week old baby and in case of emergency I don't want it to be flat. I don't live on a hill so can't bump start the thing either.

Any suggestions?

Go for a drive then come home when you're done

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017

Any suggestions?

You can buy a trickle charger and use that. If you have street parking or that otherwise won't work, you could order one of those jumpstart external batteries and use it if your car won't start. Plus, then you'll have one of those in the car all the time.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Italy's economy is in the toilet, there is a fine balance to be had and imo Italy have gone too far, the Mayor of Palmero has said there is now a social emergency

Trashing your economy will cause far more deaths than the virus will, depending on what report you read it has been reported the austerity between 2010-17 caused in excess of 100,000 deaths.

Well what is being done to our economy is 10x what happened in 2008

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

Any suggestions?
I would definitely take it for a quick run. Do it in the evening when there's nothing on the roads. If you have to go to the shops for anything and you've been walking, drive next time.

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
Go for a drive then come home when you're done

Would that be seen as essential travel?

You can buy a trickle charger and use that. If you have street parking or that otherwise won't work, you could order one of those jumpstart external batteries and use it if your car won't start. Plus, then you'll have one of those in the car all the time.

Looked on amazon.It's been de prioritised for delivery. So late April is an estimate.

Nov 13, 2017
Woke up early in the morning after I've been in isolation for a week. Went to work, turns out the call centre is closed and I wasn't told any of this. To be fair, since the company I work for deals in debt, I was surprised they opened up for this long, but it's shitty they didn't tell me or sent out an automated message. Still, I appreciated their policy because if you were self-isolating, you get full pay rather than sick pay.

Now I need to find out if I get the 100% wage or the 80%,

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
Still think that a silver lining out of this crisis might be the general public reflecting on how vital frontline services/social care really is.

I think it's going to be difficult for any party to not seriously focus on healthcare spending once we're out of this mess.

And even on the public spending side of things generally, might be hard to roll back these protections once people have realised how desperate everything can feel so quickly.

There was that joke about the Tories having to enact most of Labour's policies - don't think they'll go that far but I do think public spending is going to be far more palatable for everyone now the box has opened.

I don't know, I'm just looking for the positives in the longer term.

Enters into 2021..

The NHS failed you! You supported it and it let people die! Only privatisation can fix the mess that is the NHS as this crisis has made it painfully clear it is ill equipped for the modern world.

Tories receive thunderous applause and dismantle the NHS.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Enters into 2021..

The NHS failed you! You supported it and it let people die! Only privatisation can fix the mess that is the NHS as this crisis has made it painfully clear it is ill equipped for the modern world.

Tories receive thunderous applause and dismantle the NHS.
More like "We'll give you tax cuts that is an average of 20-30£ more every month for most workers! Fuck everyone chiming in to pay for society's services, you deserve to get more money to spend however YOU like!*" *people giving standing ovations*

*no mention of having to pay 500-1000£ more for every ER/Doctor visit

Last edited:

Yuber

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
People shouldn't have this donate money so the nhs gets the PPE it needs. I understand nobody could have predicted this virus and there wasn't enough ventilators, but no excuse for not giving the nhs the correct PPE straight away.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.bbc.co.uk

Coronavirus: Man told he must sleep on streets to get help

The man was staying in a hostel when he was told it was closing because of coronavirus restrictions.

A teenager made homeless during the coronavirus restrictions said councils told him he would have to sleep rough before they could help him.

The 19-year-old worked in a restaurant that shut and was in a hostel in Oxford he was told was closing because of measures announced last week.

what the actual fuck are we doing in this country

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
Why should I wear gloves when shopping? Wash hands after shopping and don't touch my face?
Italy's economy is in the toilet, there is a fine balance to be had and imo Italy have gone too far, the Mayor of Palmero has said there is now a social emergency

Trashing your economy will cause far more deaths than the virus will, depending on what report you read it has been reported the austerity between 2010-17 caused in excess of 100,000 deaths.

You´re alluding to studies that say austerity caused over 100,000 deaths over seven years.
Eight hundred people die A DAY in Italy right now with strict social distancing policies. Almost 12,000 have died in five weeks.

But sure, let´s let coronavirus let rip.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
You´re alluding to studies that say austerity caused over 100,000 deaths over seven years.
Eight hundred people die A DAY in Italy right now with strict social distancing policies. Almost 12,000 have died in five weeks.

But sure, let´s let coronavirus let rip.
Exactly, nobody's suggesting there's economic benefits here. But it's about how much you value human life I guess.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017

Virus that might kill me and my friends? Ha, fuck it, I am going OUT!

Oh wait, you might have to swab that deep? I'm staying home.

Oct 27, 2017

So seven years. Now imagine the social damage from all those deaths packed into a month or two.

"We know what to do to bring back our economy back to life. What we do not know how to do is to bring people back to life" - His Excellency Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Uh, even if by some miracle loosening restrictions kept the number of deaths in Italy level rather than increasing it as it most likely would, it would still only take about 1/3rd of a year to match that number of deaths over 8 years that you're quoting.

I think you still aren't quite getting how serious this is.

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
In defence of coronavirus...

You may not like it, but it has been the most effective virus in recent times, and it is not even a retrovirus, it singlenucleocapsidly took down Wuhan and forced a global lockdown and forced Boris into isolation, it also told us many months ago that it would be coming and it was just mocked

well look who is laughing now

name any other Orthocoronavirinae which has been as effective as it

Very /s

An ode to Garfield´s Greatest Hits.

Nov 14, 2017

Austerity caused deaths because it left people homeless and destitute. As long as evictions are halted and basic needs such as food and heating are met, there's no need for similar consequences.

In fact it's arguable that extended time off work will be good for most people. When it comes to social determinates of health, it's not so much lack of money as increased stress that causes the detriment to life expectancy. Of course available money is a good proxy for lack of stress, which is why it's important to make sure everyone is taken care of.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
www.bbc.co.uk

Coronavirus: Aldi, Morrisons, Waitrose and Asda lift some restrictions

Aldi, Morrisons, Waitrose and Asda ease limits on how many of some individual items people can buy.

Busier than Xmas yet no panic buying according to some.

Must be an awful lot of waste.

How much less food was sold in cafes, restaurants, street food stalls etc...?

I'm shocked by how much bread i'm having to buy, just because i'm not having breakfast and lunch outside of the house anymore.

No doubt some people were silly and bought more than they needed, and some food will have been wasted (as it always is), but I think it's fairly clear the vast majority just changed their shopping habits out of necessity and probably bought a few extra things here and there (sensibly). So many people buy their food both out and about, and then day to day, getting the food for the evening rather than planning a week ahead.

In a country of 70 million obviously there are going to be plenty of people being foolish, but I think it's clear that the vast majority did not partake in outlandish 'panic buying'.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
tried this. My dumbass car turns off the engine when idling.... modern technology for ya.

Just go for a drive, I live in a populated, fairly urban town and despite next to no one being outside, I've not yet hit a police checkpoint driving round the entire town.

Going around the block multiple timed will do the trick if you can't do the above.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
On BBC News: "Why drinking cow urine won't cure you of the coronavirus"

Is it just me or has BBC's reporting of this pandemic been an absolute shitshow? Clickbait-esque headlines, slow reporting, and posting unsubstantiated info.