• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot holds No.1 in the UK physical chart by just 400 units.

The RPG beats out Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (which remains at No.2) despite a 63% drop in sales week-on-week.

January is quiet even by January standards, and the only new release this week is Rugby 20 by Big Ben Interactive, which makes its debut at No.13. The game performed much better than its predecessor managed, as Rugby 18 (released in November 2017) didn't make the Top 40 at all. Of course, November is a far busier release window and where physical retail sales are typically far stronger. Even so, this latest game has sold around 25% more than the previous one.

One title to keep a close eye on is The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. The game continues to jump up the charts. It was No.38 two weeks ago, rising to No.20 last week and the RPG now sits at No.12.

The game has had renewed interest following the popularity of the new Netflix TV show based on the IP, which has attracted 76 million viewers worldwide and was one of the biggest shows in the UK last year. Its success comes at a good time for its developer CD Projekt Red, which has delayed its next big release -- Cyberpunk 2077 -- from April to September.

Elsewhere, there has been severe stock shortages of Nintendo Switch consoles in the UK, with certain retailers advertising every time they have more machines in stock. A recent increase in Switch hardware last week had a positive impact on Mario Kart 8: Deluxe, which rises six places to No.6.

Argos is still selling 3DS titles at a very low price, however, the games have all slipped down the charts this week. WarioWare Gold has fallen from No.5 to No.18, whereas Yokai-Watch has tumbled from No.8 to No.28.

The rest of the charts are pretty much as you would expect, with the likes of GTA V, FIFA 20, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Just Dance 2020 making up the Top Ten.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Huh, Switch suffering some shortages. I wonder if it due to increased demand (we have seen that Japanese sales in the weeks after new year have been way up compared to last year) or if they underestimated the Q4 2019 demand and sre left with decimated stock due to that.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Good to see Dragon Ball still doing well (even if it's because of a lack of competition).
I feel it's been getting an unfairly bad rap.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It also helps that The Witcher 3 has been mad cheap for a while now, even the Complete Edition.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
I took the plunge on The Witcher 3 just this weekend, largely because of how much I'd enjoyed the Netflix series, but also because I've been looking for a longer-form action-adventure to take on for a while after binging on Tetris 99, Knights & Bikes, Shenmue I+II and Stardew Valley. Also helps that my wife enjoyed the TV series, so will be interested enough in the game to be happy with me taking over the TV for hours :-)

Good to see that the success of the series is bouncing back to boost the game - from what I've played so far, it's well-deserved.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, Switch suffering some shortages. I wonder if it due to increased demand (we have seen that Japanese sales in the weeks after new year have been way up compared to last year) or if they underestimated the Q4 2019 demand and sre left with decimated stock due to that.

I mean this is my personal hypothesis but maybe Nintendo overestimated the demand of Lite and underestimated the demand of original model for holiday season. You see shortages for hybrid model in some places but I have not heard that Lite is suffering from the same fate anywhere. Also when we still got data from Spain at least to my eyes Lite had smaller share of sales than I thought it would have.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Witcher 3 is also currently the top-selling game globally on Steam (during Steam's massive Lunar New Year sale).

7fRcgB6.png

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I mean this is my personal hypothesis but maybe Nintendo overestimated the demand of Lite and underestimated the demand of original model for holiday season. You see shortages for hybrid model in some places but I have not heard that Lite is suffering from the same fate anywhere. Also when we still got data from Spain at least to my eyes Lite had smaller share of sales than I thought it would have.
Yeah, that's possible. OG definitely held its appeal more than many expected, and Lite sales were a bit less than I expected beforehand myself. That's not to say Lite is necessarily overshipped, just that they couldn't meet OG demand due to this potential misinterpretation of demand.