• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

You don't need to sell a lot of copies to get into the Top Ten, according to Dring.
So I guess that means Dreams and Darksiders Genesis sales are both quite low, and Yakuza Remastered may be doing relatively well against the rest of the market, but is probably not too spectacular either.

Sleepy week for game sales overall. Doom and Animal Crossing can't get here soon enough.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Charting 8th in February must mean really low numbers. Having said that I'm not sure why anyone would want a 'game' like this physical.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't expect Dreams to even chart, so I'm glad it's at least in the top 10, but even still it deserves so much better.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Dreams is borderline impossible to market and very few people will want to own this physically anyway. Stop worrying about the financials and be grateful such a wonderful game got made in the first place.

x250bkq.jpg

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I can't imagine why most people would want to buy dreams physical, especially with the low price point on PSN. Hopefully it keeps trucking along and with the lack of big releases over the next 6 months hopefully it can stay in the conversation and build a following

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
How is Yakuza so high. That's crazy.

For a sec I thought UK had tracked the imported copies of Y7 lol

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Sales have to be absolutely dire right now for a Yakuza remaster to be in third. Lack of new releases and new consoles coming soon is a killer combo.

I don't have TV atm, have there been ads on TV for Dreams? There usually are for Sony exclusives, tho I imagine this one is hard to sell in 30 seconds.
I'd say unit sales are dire as people shift to digital. Not just buying the games digital but the MTX too.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Was expecting an easy win for Dreams this week with it being so quiet and it also being a budget release too (and this being a unit chart).

I'm sure it'll have legs though and given its dip in and out nature, I would imagine most will opt for the digital version which isn't included in these sales.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Think the bigger story here is GTA 5 is still in the top 10....what 5 years after its release, incredible!!

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is Yakuza so high. That's crazy.

For a sec I thought UK had tracked the imported copies of Y7 lol
I suspect that it's less Yakuza doing well and more the UK physical game market being incredibly soft right now that any half-decent release will chart. Of course, that doesn't mean everyone's gonna be a winner (hello, Snack World), but if you can get 5000 pre-orders, you'll almost certainly make the top ten right now.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect that it's less Yakuza doing well and more the UK physical game market being incredibly soft right now that any half-decent release will chart. Of course, that doesn't mean everyone's gonna be a winner (hello, Snack World), but if you can get 5000 pre-orders, you'll almost certainly make the top ten right now.
7000 units is enough to top the charts right now

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Tells me Darksiders didn't do too hot.

Still pretty impressive for Yakuza as the collection has been out digital for a while now, I'd love to know actual numbers though.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope.

We are not going to revise history like this.

Dreams was expected to crater.

This is not revising history. I was one of those people expecting it to flop and I still didn't think it was gonna flop hard enough to land outside the top 20 in such a quiet week. Saying no one expected it to make the top 20 is just not true, 8 is right in line with expectations of floppage for a Sony first-party game seven years in the making. Outside the top 20 would have been nuts.

Oct 25, 2017
This is not revising history. I was one of those people expecting it to flop and I still didn't think it was gonna flop hard enough to land outside the top 20 in such a quiet week. Saying no one expected it to make the top 20 is just not true, 8 is right in line with expectations of floppage for a Sony first-party game seven years in the making. Outside the top 20 would have been nuts.
That is nothing short of ridiculous.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, sure, that's true. But I still didn't expect Yakuza Remaster to chart at all, let alone at #3. Especially in a week where we had Dreams.

xinoart

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone pointed out that Dreams only technically went on sale on the 14th? Of course that would mean the concern of the title is unwarranted as usual if that was already pointed out to some people.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I forget, do the UK charts include digital? I expect Dreams to have a higher than usual digital share

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Has anyone pointed out that Dreams only technically went on sale on the 14th? Of course that would mean the concern of the title is unwarranted as usual if that was already pointed out to some people.
The concern is unwarranted, but not because of the Friday release, since all Sony games launch on Friday.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
And honestly I think it's the right move. It sucks that MM aren't getting more fanfare but it's early days for the game.
If general gamers picked it up based on bombastic trailers I'd imagine a lot of them would be pretty pissed or underwhelmed by what's on offer right now. A lot of proof of concepts and mini games. It's going to take a while for Dreams to really take off.
Yeah I second this. Dreams is in it for the long game. The word of mouth. The creators getting more comfortable and ambitious with the tools.

There's not really hours upon hours of quality content right now to jump into and creating will be tough for many, even if a lot of it is quite simple (much requires patience and dedication). The game will grow via word of mouth, via ludicrous games and scenes going viral that people can't believe are made in Dreams. There are some already but they can be fairly short test levels, but impressive nonetheless. Every month there will be something new and creative and fun coming out of this from the users. In a year, two years, polished experiences that you can get legit hours of great gameplay out of. It will snowball and it will pick up sales. I honestly can't see that not happening now. Sony just need to keep supporting it, which I trust they will do. I think Dreams is a platform more than just a game and it is here to stay.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Sony definitely seems to be banking on Dreams being a long term project, given its lack of big "this is the moment that Dreams happens get it now" marketing.
Sony right now is unpredictable IMO, hard to even say if it's a good thing or a bad thing. They could kick in their Dreams marketing when PS5 comes out but I somehow doubt it. Like, the PS4 launched with a good amount of indie titles, then Sony literally stops caring about them 3 years later... now Shuhei is lead of their indie department? Shawn Layden quits immediately? Their first party policies change suddenly? They say they will now announce things through their Directs but they seem to have stopped doing it? It's all so confusing.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Think the bigger story here is GTA 5 is still in the top 10....what 5 years after its release, incredible!!
How is that the bigger news when this has been more or less the status quo for most of the last decade ?
Its not gonna stop selling anytime soon, unless R+ "kills" it and forces people to move to a sequel.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I wasn't expecting Dreams to be 8th with physical copies only.

Why they are still not counting digital?

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Which Yakuza game is that? Looks great!
Never played a Yakuza game, would the title in this gif be a good starting point?
I started with that game (Yakuza 3) and fell in love with the franchise that way but it's definitely not the best starting point. The story of every Yakuza game is more or less self-contained but there are many returning characters and organizations. It will be more impactful if you know their background. The best way to play the series is in order from 0-6. Yakuza 1 & 2 were on the PS2 but also have modern remakes called Yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza Kiwami 2.

Yakuza 3 is also generally seen as one of the weaker games (still great though) while Yakuza 0 is often seen as the very best. So, the best order is to start with Yakuza 0 (Zero) and then Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 in that order if you like the series enough to continue.

You also shouldn't feel that you need to play all of the games to finish some big overarching story spanning all games which will be resolved in the last, there isn't one. You can start with Zero and end with Zero and you will have a complete, self-contained game. Same goes for every entry.