• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I don't wanna be negative guys, but I don't really think that much people will subscribe to GP for Crackdown 3; and the critical reception certainly won't help. That's why I am confused as of why Gamepass will save the game.

Either way, until we know how GP works with 1st party titles, I guess we will never know

Oh, people will be subscribing because of the €2 deals. But because all these people will subscribe, Crackdown 3 will gain lots of players. I'd be surprised if it wouldn't hit 2 million unique players within 2 months.

But they already used the offer for Sea of Thieves last year no?

You do realise CD3 isn't the only game releasing on the service though right? Even if someone subs on a trial to check out CD3, there's a good chance they'll stick around for the other goodies that are on the service now and will be coming in the weeks ahead.

The current deal is also for resubs. So people who used a trial for SoT can make use of this deal too. :P

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
And that's why we need sales figures not just simple players total for games to judge it's success.

But what if sales completely tank next gen due to MS pushing their subscription service really hard? Would every MS game be a 'bomba'?

Don't think it works like that. It's a combination of a lot of things. Crackdown 3 isn't doing great, you could even say it's doing abysmal, but if Gears 5 rakes in 5 million Gamepass subscribers, but doesn't get the sales we expect of that franchise.. would it be meaningless? No.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Can I say it's really funny that Klobrille is the only person who's playing games that's not playing CD3? Haha
LOL

He's entitled to play what he wants to be fair dude, that could be a relative on his account for all we know (often happens in my house).
Did make me chuckle a bit tho :D

OT - Really glad Metro is charting high, hope it sells really well.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
LOL

He's entitled to play what he wants to be fair dude, that could be a relative on his account for all we know (often happens in my house).
Did make me chuckle a bit tho :D

OT - Really glad Metro is charting high, hope it sells really well.

Haha, it wasn't a jab at him. Rocket League is legit. Thought it was a funny coincidence.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i wonder if microsoft will every share
a) new subscribers during a game's release
b) retention rate of those subscribers

for a day 1 gamepass game, marketed to be on gamepass, it's the only thing that matters

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Gamepass the Crackle of gaming? lol
I never said IT IS the crackle. Right now it's the best value in gaming, but you also dont want to start adding any old thing to it. Amazon Prime for example, has many great things on the service. But it also has absolute dreck trash, and the trash greatly out
numbers the great stuff. To the point that people poopoo the service despite the good things. Now is gamepass the equivalent to prime? God no, it's most definitely at Netflix status right now. But you also don't want to start adding bad games on a regular basis, it piles up.

Dec 31, 2017
I've not paid full price for a month yet.

CD3 sales suck but I imagine people will at least give it a go on gamepass. Hope the people that bought it don't feel like they've been ripped off
I already have 14 hours in, expect to stop st around 18-20 hours after achievements hunting a bit. A fair amount of time I think for what I've paid for the game and quite happy about it. Game is an easy 75 for me.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
£2 for 2 months of gamespass or £40 for one game? I kinda regret paying for those 2 months because I was over Crackdown 3 after 30 minutes lol, but gamespass is just too good value, especially considering it always seems to be on offer.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
But what if sales completely tank next gen due to MS pushing their subscription service really hard? Would every MS game be a 'bomba'?

Don't think it works like that. It's a combination of a lot of things. Crackdown 3 isn't doing great, you could even say it's doing abysmal, but if Gears 5 rakes in 5 million Gamepass subscribers, but doesn't get the sales we expect of that franchise.. would it be meaningless? No.
If the game increases subs by a few million then it's good but games like C3 will not achieve this. Now a sub can be currently bought for €2 so maybe they will see increased numbers temporarily from that.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Reiterating what others have already said, Metro in second place seems good. I enjoyed the first two so will get this at some point, waiting on if there are any console performance patches. Crackdown.....oof. I enjoyed the first game and played that in co-op loads with friends but footage of 3 just doesn't make it look like a big leap with two games difference and a generation leap.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Crackdown 3 sold just 4000 units? Holy crap that seems absolutely terrible.

Its Twitch viewer numbers seem really bad too, ranked at 147th viewed despite being a newly launched tentpole exclusive. In comparison, Far Cry New Dawn is 24th, Jump Force is 27th and Metro Exodus is 13th. Doesn't seem like even Game Pass or those £2 for a month's worth of sub deals have been enough to turn the tide.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
New Dawn should not be compared to FC5

But Primal is a fair comparison, and Primal sold 4x more than ND? wow that's pretty bad then

Primal's not really a fair comparison either. New Dawn is basically an expansion pack. Primal was an all-new game. That's why New Dawn retails at $40 and Primal retailed at $60. New Dawn definitely cost way less to develop than Primal.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for Crackdown 3. It was over hyped, followed by delay after delay and the whole initial "cloud computing special features" etc didn't help. 4k for any game is really bad.

Hopefully it turns a profit.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
To be fair, Primal was the best selling February game ever. But yes, both Metro and New Dawn had a soft retail launch in the UK.

Interestingly, New Dawn has 24 hour concurrent player peaks of 16k on PC, which puts it on par with Far Cry 4, and a bit above Primal.

Thats why I am saying I hope sales at least met expectations since metro exodus look a lot more ambitious than prior entries what with the open world, highly varied environments and incredible graphics quality.

I dont want a world dominated by COD, Fortnite and Apex Legends. Metro is a very unique style of game as well as single player.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats why I am saying I hope sales at least met expectations since metro exodus look a lot more ambitious than prior entries what with the open world, highly varied environments and incredible graphics quality.

I dont want a world dominated by COD, Fortnite and Apex Legends. Metro is a very unique style of game as well as single player.
Metro's sales are a little concerning, to be sure. Hopefully PC sales are taking up the slack.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Source?

I guess it makes sense. The game was japanese and the xbox audience isn't exactly known for those.

My own assessment based on Google trend comparison data and looking at number of tweet/retweet engagements for the most popular Scalebound related tweets, and youtube videos.

It's kinda hard to get those back for an apple-to-apple comparison since MS deleted all official Scalebound videos from their YT account.

Both games had very weak consumer interest metrics, so even though CD3 was better, it was only marginally better. State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves had like 3-4x higher metrics in terms of product interest.

Apr 21, 2018
This completely flies in the face of MS has been saying, that it increases sales. By this logic why would anyone buy a copy of first party MS game? It should tank sales if that were the case. Your logic is flawed in this instance

Am I not understanding Gamepass right? I pay 9.99 a month or ~70$ per year and I get access to a large slew of games, new releases and old. And I get to keep the game for as long as I have Gamepass?

So why would someone with Gamepass ever spend money on a game they got on Gamepass? Isn't it like...getting a free game for PS+ then going and buying it? Why would anyone do that?

Also, if I walked into a store and saw 'Crackdown 3 for ~70$' and then also knew that one year of Gamepass including Crackdown 3 was also ~70$, isn't the choice obvious?

70$ buys me one game,
or
70$ buys me the same one game plus many, many others

Why would anyone choose the former unless they simply wanted to own it as a collector?

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Is Gamepass always or very often available for 2 pounds or dollars for 2 months? Don't know how the deals work, but it always seems like there is a deal.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is Gamepass always or very often available for 2 pounds or dollars for 2 months? Don't know how the deals work, but it always seems like there is a deal.
They need to pad those numbers or all these initiatives fall apart if no one subscribes. They want to get people hooked.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Never going to happen.

well assuming only talking about pc and x1 version of gta v (eg not ps4 or ps3)

It might technically, due to a) not knowing how many repeat buyers there are for GTA V (I bought ps3 then ps4 then pc versions) so the unit shipments are not reflective of unique players and b) someone might just try it to see if they like then nope out

in terms of hours played however thats a different story...

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Am I not understanding Gamepass right? I pay 9.99 a month or ~70$ per year and I get access to a large slew of games, new releases and old. And I get to keep the game for as long as I have Gamepass?

So why would someone with Gamepass ever spend money on a game they got on Gamepass? Isn't it like...getting a free game for PS+ then going and buying it? Why would anyone do that?

Also, if I walked into a store and saw 'Crackdown 3 for ~70$' and then also knew that one year of Gamepass including Crackdown 3 was also ~70$, isn't the choice obvious?

70$ buys me one game,
or

Why would anyone choose the former unless they simply wanted to own it as a collector?
So why don't they include $70 worth of gamepass in each physical game box? It would be the same thing.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Didn't Sea Of Thieves top the charts even though it was on gamepass too ?

But now I'm reading "of course no one bought it, it's a gamepass game".

So which one is it ?

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017

70$ buys me one game,
or

I believe you cant play the games any more if you arent subscribed to game pass so its not like the PSN+ free games for example

Given thats the case, personally I prefer to own my games instead of them being held hostage to future price hikes etc. Same reason I prefer PC gaming, I am not locked into some gatekeeper for online where they can ratchet up the price whenever they choose.

However for gamers on a budget its amazing value, and when project xcloud comes out they will gain a lot of customers who cant afford the next generation consoles otherwise

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I believe you cant play the games any more if you arent subscribed to game pass so its not like the PSN+ free games for example

Given thats the case, personally I prefer to own my games instead of them being held hostage to future price hikes etc. Same reason I prefer PC gaming, I am not locked into some gatekeeper for online where they can ratchet up the price whenever they choose.

However for gamers on a budget its amazing value, and when project xcloud comes out they will gain a lot of customers who cant afford the next generation consoles otherwise
Im pretty sure you need to be subscribed to psn+ to have acess to the games.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Highly desirable Xbox first-party will sell well physically/digitally ; even with Gamepass.
And according to the stats shared by Xbox, GP elevates the sales further.
We've seen proof of that demonstrated with Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and Forza Horizon 4.

So basically...

Crackdown 3 just isn't a highly desirable game. ( which validates its pre-release consumer metrics )

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
How does Metro Exodus compared to other single player FPS like Wolfenstein TNC, DOOM 2016 or maybe even immersive sim like Deus Ex MD, Dishonored 2 and Prey ?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

70$ buys me one game,
or

You do not own the games. It's like Netflix. Incest your sub ends, you can't play.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Jump Force will, unfortunately, almost guaranteed make bank. The absurd $180 version on PSN that offered a week early launch had a scary amount of ratings when I checked.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
You do not own the games. It's like Netflix. Incest your sub ends, you can't play.
giphy.webp

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since December it's been $1 a month for non active members. Right before the $2 for 2 month deal it was $1 for 1 month and the sale would last until August.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I was wondering about that. I assume they get paid upfront and get a part only from the digital and physical sales.

I remember a twitter thread from an indie dev saying that subscription services pay them per hour played, and saying it was a terrible deal for them. He was clearly hinting at MS. I assume AAA have separate deals but indies seem to get a rough deal.