• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damnit Nib, who's side are you on?

Just keeping it real.

Perhaps these UK sales are not indicative of wider trends (God of War did 80-90k at UK launch but went on to sell over 3.1m world wide in its first 3 days), or perhaps the digital split was particularly high, but in truth I can't imagine this being the case, and can instead see a scenario where a quirky title like this appeals less to the American market than the European one, which would make it fall on Japan to bridge the difference.

I guess we'll know more soon enough, but it's possible the reviews (especially from IGN) had a somewhat negative impact on sales, as if this UK result ends up being indicative of a wider sales trend, would make this the first Sony exclusive that's out of sync in sales comparative to its social media pre-release view metrics.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
This post will not age well in few days when they reveal the world wide sold figure ;)
Yup, lol.
Also lots of people now talking about their own early time with the game now after just the first day, a lot of people have seemingly picked it up. I feel like it'll sell well in the end and they're happy with it.

They should be happy they just released their most innovative game in a while that's taken up so much mindshare
Yup, and they've always cared about that a lot with titles like Team ICO, which has always been a great thing.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, so Days Gone is the UK's best selling new I.P this year? I'm more surprised by that than DS selling okay. I'm a pretty big fan of Kojima's work (MGS3 is my GoAT and I love pretty much all the other mainline MGS games in some way or another), but DS just screams wait for a sale for me, not sure if I'd like it and not taking that gamble for day 1 pricing.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Days GOAT!
daysgonesmilev2jho.jpg

Hey, at least we know it did ~850k in its first 9 days in the US ;)

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
2nd biggest new IP of 2019, nice. Great start for Death Stranding, considering the conversations and mixed reception from some people in the run up to launch.

Days Gone was a beast, even more than expected, I guess a lot underestimated how popular zombies really are, even with the mixed reviews.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
These threads are always filled with people who know little about the UK market.

Days Gone is going to be a mega IP for Sony. It's going to comfortably surpass 8m-10m lifetime. The skies the limit for the sequel.

45k-50k 2 day physical sales is very good for Death Stranding. God of War was 65k-70k 18 months ago. Since then the digital share continues to increase at an exponential rate.

At this time of year sales are less front loaded. So much is being released even hardcore gamers need to pace themselves. Doubly so when you factor in the Black Friday and Christmas periods.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These threads are always filled with people who know little about the UK market.

Days Gone is going to be a mega IP for Sony. It's going to comfortably surpass 8m-10m lifetime. The skies the limit for the sequel.

45k-50k 2 day physical sales is very good for Death Stranding. God of War was 65k-70k 18 months ago. Since then the digital share continues to increase at an exponential rate.

At this time of year sales are less front loaded. So much is being released even hardcore gamers need to pace themselves. Doubly do when you factor in the Black Friday an Christmas periods.

Are you sure about your numbers there? We know that your GoW numbers are way off (it sold more than 90k in fact) and based on estimates we have for DG "comfortably over 10 million" looks like a stretch to say the least.

Edit: you edited your comment regarding the lifetime sales of DG whilst I was quoting you just for clarification's sake.

Last edited:

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
One thing that's hilarious is how many people suddenly like Days Gone because they hate Death Stranding more.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Just keeping it real.

Perhaps these UK sales are not indicative of wider trends (God of War did 80-90k at UK launch but went on to sell over 3.1m world wide in its first 3 days), or perhaps the digital split was particularly high, but in truth I can't imagine this being the case, and can instead see a scenario where a quirky title like this appeals less to the American market than the European one, which would make it fall on Japan to bridge the difference.

I guess we'll know more soon enough, but it's possible the reviews (especially from IGN) had a somewhat negative impact on sales, as if this UK result ends up being indicative of a wider sales trend, would make this the first Sony exclusive that's out of sync in sales comparative to its social media pre-release view metrics.

Just to back up your feeling a little bit. Death Stranding hasn't entered the Top 100 yearly bestseller chart in the US. Now this is just one retailer and it covers just a portion of the US market but it's an indicator. Maybe DS has an incredibly high digital share and this is meaningless in the end but so far nothing is indicating an incredible launch in the US either.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Had no idea Days Gone sold relatively well, but I'm glad that it did because it's easily one of the best SP games of the generation.

Plenty of people had reservations about DS, myself included, so I think the sales are about right.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to back up your feeling a little bit. Death Stranding hasn't entered the Top 100 yearly bestseller chart in the US. Now this is just one retailer and it covers just a portion of the US market but it's an indicator. Maybe DS has an incredibly high digital share and this is meaningless in the end but so far nothing is indicating an incredible launch in the US either.

Amazon's yearly chart doesn't always update. Also...

ZeDorguinh

Banned
Feb 10, 2019
User Banned (permanent): Trolling and Prior Bans for Trolling; Account in Junior Phase
What a flop, sold less than days Gone.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon's yearly chart doesn't always update.

This is correct, it gets updated once per day and in the last weeks I haven't seen DS once on the yearly chart. All I am going to say is that for a supposed "very big" launch like Benji called it earlier it sure seems odd that it's not placed higher or at all.

Last edited:

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding is due for a sharp dropoff next month. I can't see this game having any legs once the Kojima fanboys have bought the initial copies.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Based on these UK numbers and things like the fact that Death Stranding never got higher than like #7 on the Amazon best sellers for video game category during launch weekend (is now #9 behind the Xbox One controller), I can't imagine that this thing won't be missing the sales goals that they had in mind for this very hyped release.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I'm surprised the post-apocalyptic courier simulator had the 2nd best selling launch for a new IP/exclusive in the UK.

Last edited:

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Gotta wait for a PS blog post about sales numbers before this means anything

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Days Gone sold pretty well. I'm sure Death Stranding will do fine as well even if it doesn't do as well as Days Gone.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just keeping it real.

Days Gone had worse reviews than DS. I think it's just a matter of Days Gone being a much more appealing genre than DS.