• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
You're the 1st to not know this.

giphy.gif

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
No, it isn't true. WWE 2K has never been in the UK top 20 best selling games of the year. For example, WWE 2K16 was 23th in 2015, WWE 2K17 was 26th in 2016 and WWE 2K18 was 22th in 2017 (I only find the top 20 for 2018, not the top 50/100, so I don't know where was WWE 2K18).

Being behind Call of Duty is completely normal. Being behind the 5th week of FIFA is... acceptable, I guess. Being behind WWE 2K20, which did less than the previous game of the serie, is disappointing.

Of course, it's only physical sales, so I really hope with digital the game will be 2nd. I also hope that Game Pass will mean that more people will play, enjoy and buy this game.

This is why I said in my first post:

Can go either way with sub services. Gamepass has shown to hugely eat into sales, or increase it. Game by game. In imagine AAAs get rogered, indies benefit

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Can go either way with sub services. Gamepass has shown to hugely eat into sales, or increase it. Game by game. In imagine AAAs get rogered, indies benefit
Depends how its marketed also i guess. Think thats why you see MS also trying both ends of the spectrum to see how things perform etc.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised, MW is a huge nostalgia kick for all the people who say CoD's been bad since they stopped playing it.

Of course they're wrong. MW is a boring campfest with far less interesting gameplay than blops4, but hey, MW2 was awesome back in the day and games shouldn't ever change.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised MediEvil made top 5 for physical, thought that'd be super heavy digital and not sell much overall at that. The Outer Worlds did fine given it released on the same day as CoD, it'll probably have good legs too given that. I know I'll get to it soon.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope word of mouth is keeping ToW in the charts, game seems like a big success for Obsidian and MS. Good get.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hype around this COD was enormous compared to last years, expecting it to be a huge seller. Maybe not Black Ops 3 levels but pretty enormous. Word of mouth is hit and miss but that's something that's gonna factor in at a later point in time really. Happy for The Outer Worlds, game is selling very well considering it's a new IP by a relatively small studio with minor marketing presence, coming out in a tough month and with Game Pass "stealing" sales.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Persistent history of trolling and console warring
Gears is out?

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
With each piece of new data for GamePass. It becomes abundantly clear MS's long-term vision can only replicate the Netflix model if it's on every available platform.

It may take two, three, four years. But the roadmap has to be to bring GamePass (even if just MS Studio exclusives) to platforms like PlayStation, Nintendo, Stadia.

Oct 25, 2017
With each piece of new data for GamePass. It becomes abundantly clear MS's long-term vision can only replicate the Netflix model if it's on every available platform.

It may take two, three, four years. But the roadmap has to be to bring GamePass (even if just MS Studio exclusives) to platforms like PlayStation, Nintendo, Stadia.
Without a doubt.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Just crazy how COD continues to move such big numbers every year. It's insane how successful it continues to be.

Ring fit looks set for long legs. Seems this one might actually deliver unlike labo. Think it'll be strong during the holiday season.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
It's like we have to go through the same song and dance every time a prominent game on Gamepass is "lower than expected" on retail charts (for obvious reasons). I'm certain that Obsidian is thrilled with how well there game is doing.

Also, RingFit selling more on its second week is certainly something.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

How do you come to that conclusion? But I don't think they expect to be their service on a PlayStation or a Switch and bet on it being successful without these platforms.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

Don't worry, Microsoft is already trying to put their store and game pass on every piece of capable hardware via xCloud

BTW some kind of vault of Microsoft first party game on Stadia looks like a good idea.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

It will be on any platform via xCloud, we already know this. If Sony/Nintendo refuses to have it on their platforms, that's up to them. But as far as Microsoft will be concerned, they'll have xCloud anywhere. It'll be on any platform that allows it including your smart TV, phones, tablets, laptop, whatever. Same goes for Stadia for that matter.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
How do you come to that conclusion? But I don't think they expect to be their service on a PlayStation or a Switch and bet on it being successful without these platforms.
The hit on physical & digital full price sales is now in full effect. But that can only be offset by massively increasing your subscription base. That will only happen if you're platform agnostic. Even a £150/$200 streaming machine is still too big a barrier.

I wouldn't expect the full 1st & 3rd part GamePass library to come across. But I do think a similar service with their exclusive offerings is inevitable. That can be streaming or full downloads. Ideally both if the hardware is capable.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Regardless of sales, there will likely be many people playing and enjoying the game on PC/Xbox via Game Pass. Given their current strategy, it'll be those metrics that Microsoft will be interested in when considering a sequel, or another game in the same genre, rather than sales.
I agree, but the game has been published by Private Divisions. I hope they will also be happy with sales of this game.

I don't know. Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 4 and State of Decay 2 benefited from Xbox Game Pass to increase their sales. Maybe it only affect negatively single player games.

Huh? In what world is it not a great launch?
When you do less than a game which did less than the previous game which didn't sell well, you can't say it's a good launch. Maybe digital will change that (I hope it will), but physical sales are bad if you only look at them. We have explanations for those bad sales (Xbox Game Pass, for example), but it doesn't mean they aren't bad.

I don't think they will bring GamePass to Stadia, because they will have XCloud, which is basically the same thing. But yeah, I think they will try to bring Xbox Game Pass to Nintendo Switch (and even to PlayStation 5 if it's possible).

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hit on physical & digital full price sales is now in full effect. But that can only be offset by massively increasing your subscription base. That will only happen if you're platform agnostic. Even a £150/$200 streaming machine is still too big a barrier.

I wouldn't expect the full 1st & 3rd part GamePass library to come across. But I do think a similar service with their exclusive offerings is inevitable.
I wouldn't infer anything right now from the only physical UK chart. I am not saying you are wrong but we don't have the data right now to make any claims.
Sony will never allow it because it's in direct competition with PSNow and MS knows that. They will still continue with their gamepass plan.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but the game has been published by Private Divisions. I hope they will also be happy with sales of this game.

I don't know. Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 4 and State of Decay 2 benefited from Xbox Game Pass to increase their sales. Maybe it only affect negatively single player games.

When you do less than a game which did less than the previous game which didn't sell well, you can't say it's a good launch. Maybe digital will change that (I hope it will), but physical sales are bad if you only look at them. We have explanations for those bad sales (Xbox Game Pass, for example), but it doesn't mean they aren't bad.

I don't think they will bring GamePass to Stadia, because they will have XCloud, which is basically the same thing. But yeah, I think they will try to bring Xbox Game Pass to Nintendo Switch (and even to PlayStation 5 if it's possible).

No reason not to believe Private Division arnt profiting from GP downloads, its just that it's not visible to us in a conventional way (charts).

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think gamepass success will hinge on the success of xbox hardware sales as sony and nintendo will probably charge a huge fee for that type of service on their platform if they did allow it, most likely they won't.

Console games don't work well on tablets and phones due to the touch screen controls. This is why the comparison with netflix and spotify doesn't work, those services are accessible on many devices with not much effort.

Casuals are not gaming on pc or laptop and i don't see that changing. Maybe smart tv would be another viable platform.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
No reason not to believe Private Division arnt profiting from GP downloads, its just that it's not visible to us in a conventional way (charts).

They're not profiting from GamePass downloads. Pretty sure they get the same check whether one or one million download their game.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't infer anything right now from the only physical UK chart. I am not saying you are wrong but we don't have the data right now to make any claims.
Sony will never allow it because it's in direct competition with PSNow and MS knows that. They will still continue with their gamepass plan.
I don't know about never. In 5-10 years, the entire landscape will probably be different from where we are now. I think it is more a matter of time than anything else.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
They allowed EA to sell EA Access on PlayStation 4. I don't think it's impossible, even if it will be harder for Microsoft.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They allowed EA to sell EA Access on PlayStation 4. I don't think it's impossible, even if it will be harder for Microsoft.
Only if they drop PSNow. I really feel that Sony will rather try to make PSNow their "gamepass" before they let MS in on their ecosystem.
MS will not bet on it and if gamepass will be sustainable in the next years, putting it on PS5 would only increase their profits, of course. But in no way do they plan with it or even hope there will be gamepass on PlayStation.