• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

Absolutely incredible, and even while investigating his own assassination attempt Navalny/Bellingcat considered the ethics of tricking the FSB officer involved

PUTIN last week on Navalny: "If somebody had wanted to poison him, they would have finished him off." FSB officer tricked into speaking to Navalny: We would've finished Navalny off if paramedics hadn't gotten to him so quickly https://bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2020/12/21/if-it-hadnt-been-for-the-prompt-work-of-the-medics-fsb-officer-inadvertently-confesses-murder-plot-to-navalny/

hqdefault.jpg

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Right now some journalists are at this FSB officer's apartment door, trying to speak with him, but he, obviously, ignores everyone and doesn't come out.
However, his (supposedly) mom came out to speak with the police officers, who got there after Lyubov Sobol, russian politician, one of the most publicly known members of Navalny's team, tried to speak with this FSB guy (she got there before the journalist).

This guy actually lives in ~15 min walking distance from me. šŸ˜…

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Right now some journalists are at this FSB officer's apartment door, trying to speak with him, but he, obviously, ignores everyone and doesn't come out.
However, his (supposedly) mom came out to speak with the police officers, who got there after Lyubov Sobol, russian politician, one of the most publicly known members of Navalny's team, tried to speak with this FSB guy (she got there before the journalist).

This guy actually lives in ~15 min walking distance from me. šŸ˜…

what do you reckon is going to happen to him?

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This should give a good look at the level of Russian intelligence services for everyone swallowing the "if it was really Putin, he'd have finished the job" bait.

Also, here's the full call with English subs. Really amazing watch.

Last edited:

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Investigating your own assassination attempt, damn.

And the fact he did it over the phone from the comfort of his favourite chair is even more impressive if you ask me.

Only in Russia could an intelligence operative give away the whole scheme to someone posing as the guy from the HR department .

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think Putin's quote about FSB not finishing the job was directed towards FSB, and boy would I hate to be in their shoes rn

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't Russia been pretty incompetent with a bunch of their assassination attempts? Didn't the GRU screw up a lot?

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
I would guess it's not gonna be as clean as Navalny's boxers.
I have no idea, tbh.
I really hope hope he doesn't "accidentally" die or something. I assume he is just going to "disappear", either alive or not.
Once again, hopefully alive. The guy needs to (one day) be punished according to law, and not for a failure as an FSB agent, but as someone who took part in a murder attempt.

OP
OP
Sho_Nuff82

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Accidentally falls out the window, and then his mother accidentally falls down a few flights of stairs trying to call for help.
Honestly, I think Putin's quote about FSB not finishing the job was directed towards FSB, and boy would I hate to be in their shoes rn
Hasn't Russia been pretty incompetent with a bunch of their assassination attempts? Didn't the GRU screw up a lot?

Spies are traditionally traded for other spies, so this guy will likely be shipped back to Russia alive at some point. Putin will either throw him a parade or quietly disappear him.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. If I was a Russian assassin, I would make damn sure that I got the kill. I don't want to imagine what the punishment would be for fucking up a hit job ordered by Putin.

Oct 22, 2020
This is all a stark reminder that Russia, for all the damage it is able to do on the international stage, is a clownish mafia state at its core.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching the video now and haven't read this thread yet. THERE'S FUCKING VIDEO. THIS IS INSANE.

OP
OP
Sho_Nuff82

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
This is all a stark reminder that Russia, for all the damage it is able to do on the international stage, is a clownish mafia state at its core.

There are people who see that Putin has banned opposition leadership, forbids open LGBTQ expression, and is in perpetual warfare with Chechnyan Muslims and thinks "ah, I wish America was so enlightened".

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
And the fact he did it over the phone from the comfort of his favourite chair is even more impressive if you ask me.

Only in Russia could an intelligence operative give away the whole scheme to someone posing as the guy from the HR department .
I don't think so. Face to face meetings are risky atm and he's being called over some sort of a secure line. Plus he's down with the Rona.
Intelligence operatives are still employees who need to report to their higherups, especially when an operation fails.
He's still hesitant to speak over the phone, but Nawalny basically bullies him into a confession.
I wonder if there's more recordings which will be released soon.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think so. Face to face meetings are risky atm and he's being called over some sort of a secure line. Plus he's down with the Rona.
Intelligence operatives are still employees who need to report to their higherups, especially when an operation fails.
He's still hesitant to speak over the phone, but Nawalny basically bullies him into a confession.
I wonder if there's more recordings which will be released soon.
It's called OPSEC, lol.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Absolut mad shit. Buy hey, Germany is waiving the index finger but won't do anything further.
We need that sweet sweet gas...

Assassination right in Berlin last year didn't do much to tip the needle.

Last edited:

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sure, but the operation is over. It basically debrief here.
I just feel a bit uneasy when people underestimate Russian capabilities.
Even people working on not top security stuff know to verify identities before giving out information.

Russia has a lot of capabilities, but more often than not the execution these days is along the lines we've seen in the past few years. The scary thing is that they keep trying.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Was reading this a few hours ago.
It certainly leaves you feeling a lot of stuff. Hard to describe.

Getting the people involved to not only detail the operation but also corroborate some of his information.
Amazing move by Navalny.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm watching the video now and haven't read this thread yet. THERE'S FUCKING VIDEO. THIS IS INSANE.

This is all so wild to me, and seems kinda big to say the least, but Putin's camp seems pretty good a shrugging and moving on and I'm not nearly educated enough in all this to even hazard a guess on its potency

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
The video of the call is like it's from some new Netflix thriller show. Wild. At least it's already close to 1 million upvotes.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Goddamn, this absolutely bonkers. Navalny is completely out of fucks to give after the attempt on his life. Can you imagine getting one of the men responsible for your attempted murder to confess to their crime over the phone?

I guess this is what happens if you involve too many thugs in an operation like this: One of them might turn out to be a dummy. There are so many instances in that video where he's hesitant to offer information only to completely incriminate himself a couple of sentences later.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Spies are traditionally traded for other spies, so this guy will likely be shipped back to Russia alive at some point. Putin will either throw him a parade or quietly disappear him.
The spy Navalny is speaking to is already in Russia. The posters were suggesting that he'll be disappeared because he gave up info stupidly

Oct 28, 2017
Crazy stuff

The whole murder attempt is weird, since it doesn't seem like Nawalny has any real chance against Putin, this is an insane amount of effort to get rid of him even for the FSB.
I guess they want to send a message for others not to follow his example

And that guy who talked is probably as good as dead

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy stuff

The whole murder attempt is weird, since it doesn't seem like Nawalny has any real chance against Putin, this is an insane amount of effort to get rid of him even for the FSB.
I guess they want to send a message for others not to follow his example

And that guy who talked is probably as good as dead
It's more that Navalny inspires part of the populace to have anti-Putin/corruption feelings than a direct threat to Putin's presidential hopes

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's more that Navalny inspires part of the populace to have anti-Putin/corruption feelings than a direct threat to Putin's presidential hopes
Also Navalny's tactical voting campaign at the last regional elections was quite effective and feelings towards Putin's United Russia party have changed quite a bit over the last few years in many places.

Hecht

Pushinā€™ me down, pushinā€™ me down, pushinā€™ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Goddamn, that story is insane

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's what resulted in regional officals sympathetic to him being elected right?
Not really, but it really disrupted Kremlin's control in different (mostly far away) regions. The tactical voting involved voting for the most popular non-United Russia candidate.

While Putin might still be popular across Russia, United Russia's corrupt henchman #24892 sent from Moscow closing down public services while filling him own pockets doesn't really command the same popularity. The most notable example with some Kremlin pushback was at Khabarovsk Krai.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, but it really disrupted Kremlin's control in different (mostly far away) regions. The tactical voting involved voting for the most popular non-United Russia candidate.

While Putin might still be popular across Russia, United Russia's corrupt henchman #24892 sent from Moscow closing down public services while filling him own pockets doesn't really command the same popularity. The most notable example with some Kremlin pushback was at Khabarovsk Krai.
Okay thanks for the insight. I used to have a great resource bookmarked. I believe it was a Ukrainian scholar (or somewhere in the general region) who would do reporting on Russia's going ons but I seemed to have lost it. If you have any suggestions where to keep up on it, it would be appreciated

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Okay thanks for the insight. I used to have a great resource bookmarked. I believe it was a Ukrainian scholar (or somewhere in the general region) who would do reporting on Russia's going ons but I seemed to have lost it. If you have any suggestions where to keep up on it, it would be appreciated
Not really a clue, just living in the region, you get some in-depth analysis every now and then.

Oct 7, 2018
USA

What is the general feeling over there do people in Russia still have the majority of their basic needs met,are there still jobs and decent pay to be had?

It just seems like Putin has been robbing that country blind for so long now that eventually something would break and the people will have had enough but perhaps I'm completely wrong and things are better than they appear from the outside.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What is the general feeling over there do people in Russia still have the majority of their basic needs met,are there still jobs and decent pay to be had?

It just seems like Putin has been robbing that country blind for so long now that eventually something would break and the people will have had enough but perhaps I'm completely wrong and things are better than they appear from the outside.
Not a clue on the first bit, would probably be good to hear from someone actually living there.

Historically, Russians have suffered immensely, the threshold for what would bring people to the streets is very different in Russia compared to most other countries. Putin's biggest goal is to just make sure that there is no credible alternative to him, that with memories of the era of "robber barons" of the 90s is enough to make the average Russian think twice about any change in power.