• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The UK has become the first country in the world to approve the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine for widespread use.
British regulator, the MHRA, says the jab, which offers up to 95% protection against Covid-19 illness, is safe for roll out.
Immunisations could start within days for people in high priority groups.

www.bbc.co.uk

Covid-19: Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine judged safe for use in UK

The UK is the first country to approve the Pfizer vaccine - with 800,000 doses due to arrive soon.

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Was told at work they've been asked to be ready to receive the vaccine as soon as possible. The Guardian is saying NHS staff will be vaccinated from the 7th December.

Has the MHRA published a paper or something with their analysis of the data?

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Two jabs (a month apart).

Assuming FDA is on board rollout in the USA will probably start around the middle of the month with enough supply to vaccinate the first 20 million people (i.e. health care workers and those in rest homes).

Expected timeline would see most healthy adults getting access to the vaccine starting in April in the USA with children started in the Summer, from what I've read today.

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
Two jabs (a month apart).

Assuming FDA is on board rollout in the USA will probably start around the middle of the month with enough supply to vaccinate the first 20 million people (i.e. health care workers and those in rest homes).

Expected timeline would see most healthy adults getting access to the vaccine starting in April in the USA with children started in the Summer, from what I've read today.
From what i've read the EU isnt getting enough by far to vaccinate most adults by April (timeline in the Netherlands is that at that time we've vaccinated at best the 60+ people with serious health issues, not even the healthy 60+ population), so either the US managed to get a much bigger part of the limited supply, or the timelines are too optimistic.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
tenor.gif

I feel my natural pessimism seeping in but honestly I'm pretty hopeful about all this.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
From what i've read the EU isnt getting enough by far to vaccinate most adults by April (timeline in the Netherlands is that at that time we've vaccinated at best the 60+ people with serious health issues, not even the healthy 60+ population), so either the US managed to get a much bigger part of the limited supply, or the timelines are too optimistic.

*starting in April*... I think the hope is to get people taken care of before next fall. There are also expected to be ~5 approved vaccines by then.

Public health experts here seem to be saying that which particular vaccine you get is not that important because it will probably be about a year before we understand durations.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the number of doses UK will have this year, it should be enough to vaccinate the entire NHS and carehome workers at least.

This took around 2 weeks to approve so Oxford vaccine could be approved next as it was sent for approval last week. If Boris and his band of twats don't fuck this up we could have the most vulnerable people vaccinated by Feb.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Insensitive Commentary
that seems surprisingly fast for a review considering the EMA and FDA timelines. 8 days for review seems pretty short.

Atleast the brits can beta test it for us

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Sky News saying we're the first country in the world to roll out a vaccine.

This will be a fuck up. I'm not trying to be cynical, I'm just capable of pattern recognition.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
With the number of doses UK will have this year, it should be enough to vaccinate the entire NHS and carehome workers at least.

This took around 2 weeks to approve so Oxford vaccine could be approved next as it was sent for approval last week. If Boris and his band of twats don't fuck this up we could have the most vulnerable people vaccinated by Feb.

Jesus, how long is this shit going to go one if that's the best they can do in 3 months? At that rate the whole world will take 5 years or more.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Approval faster than both the FDA and EMA.

Is the Moderna vaccine next in-line to be approved? Or is the UK not getting that one?

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, how long is this shit going to go one if that's the best they can do in 3 months? At that rate the whole world will take 5 years or more.
There was a leak a while ago saying they could rollout the vaccine for every age group by end of Jan. I think if they can get the most vunerable that would be a huge win as we hopefully can avoid any further lockdowns and get some freedom back.
Approval faster than both the FDA and EMA.

Is the Moderna vaccine next in-line to be approved? Or is the UK not getting that one?
Oxford is next in line for approval. Moderna I don't think if it has been sent for approval to mhra yet. I'd assume for UK mdoerna won't be a priority as we don't get any doses until spring.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It's explained in the article but the MHRA have been conducting a rolling review of the data as it has come in during the trials (as have the FDA, which is why they'll be done in the next week), while the EMA waited for all data to be available before starting to consider it. It's just a contrast of approaches but one that looks like it'll pay off for the UK.
That IS simply not true, the EMA already started a rolling review on the 1st of October for instance for the Oxford one.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if UK considers US's FDA approvals, but the Moderna vaccine is scheduled to go up for Emergency use authorization in the USA on December 17, and will likely roll out right away, so there should be plenty of data available for an approval once they obtain the drug.

That Guy

Nov 13, 2017
Great news, and hopefully the beginning of the end of this covid saga assuming the anti-vaxxers don't fuck it up for all of us

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
If they will be first in the World because of Brexit then are the EU keeping all the other countries in the World from vaccinating?

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
Great news, and hopefully the beginning of the end of this covid saga assuming the anti-vaxxers don't fuck it up for all of us
They will. But at least if you get vaccinated you can go out safely again. I get stressed doing basic things like going to the supermarket right now, wouldnt mind being able to just walk into a store without having to worry if i get a disease that might wreck my lungs or heart or brain for god knows how long.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: The original title by OP said "thanks to Brexit" hence my comment.

This is Tory Brexit propaganda claiming its "thanks to Brexit". If they've not done due diligence here it's gunna come back to haunt them but not that they'd care. I'd sooner trust an established body from Europe than some private company. The government fucked up PPE earlier this year by trusting private companies.

Anyway, I sincerely hope this is the beginning of the end and that there aren't any major side effects with this vaccine, especially in the long term because it's an incredible day for the scientific community otherwise.

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Lmao, at that "The evil EU keeping the vaccine from its people" framing. Seriously, sod off.
Pretty much. Especially considering how gullible people are.

The goverment that fucked up pretty much everything covid related approves a vaccine within 8 days while the others take 3-4 weeks seems totally legit

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
This is Tory Brexit propaganda claiming its "thanks to Brexit". If they've not done due diligence here it's gunna come back to haunt them but not that they'd care. I'd sooner trust an established body from Europe than some private company. The government fucked up PPE earlier this year by trusting private companies.

Anyway, I sincerely hope this is the beginning of the end and that there aren't any major side effects with this vaccine, especially in the long term because it's an incredible day for the scientific community otherwise.
Indeed. It is funny that in the end it is not Trump but BoJo pushing through a vaccine for politicial gains.
And I don't think the Americans on this forum would have cheered Trump on for it.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

I mean I hate me some Tories but I'll take a working vaccine from a Tory in a hot second

So we can go back to a normal world in which we have distractions from our perpetual Tory-majority government.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
They will. But at least if you get vaccinated you can go out safely again. I get stressed doing basic things like going to the supermarket right now, wouldnt mind being able to just walk into a store without having to worry if i get a disease that might wreck my lungs or heart or brain for god knows how long.
I mean, there is a small chance that you can still get it. (But it's a small chance.)

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

So mid to late january before the first nhs workers actually have immunity

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
There was some confusion over which thread should be open on this topic- my mistake, sorry

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
User banned (1 month): Inflammatory rhetoric over multiple posts during a public health crisis, prior related bans
I hope they don't force NHS staff to be vaccinated If they choose not to. Also keep a look out for rich people getting the vaccine

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Don't turn into zombies & lets get everybody safe. This is great. Can't believe in Canada we may have to wait until March. :(

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't that wrong? Moderna is at 4 weeks between shots and Pfizer is at 3 weeks.
Pfizer said they achieved 90% with the two doses 7 days apart.

Protection then was achieved after 28 days.

Pfizer and BioNTech Announce Vaccine Candidate Against COVID-19 Achieved Success in First Interim Analysis from Phase 3 Study | Pfizer

Vaccine candidate was found to be more than 90% effective in preventing COVID-19 in participants without evidence of prior SARS-CoV-2 infection in the first interim efficacy analysis Analysis evaluated 94 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in trial participants Study enrolled 43,538 participants, with...

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I hope they don't force the NHS staff to be vaccinated. Also keep a look out for rich people getting the vaccine
And players of various sports.

Teachers should be after the NHS and elderly, and then essential workers in logistics, meat processing, then retail, etc.

Don't turn into zombies & lets get everybody safe. This is great. Can't believe in Canada we may have to wait until March. :(
Australia is the same but at least we have very minimal community transmission at the moment. It's the poorer nations I feel sorry for - they'll be last vaccinated and their economies will be the last to recover, widening the division.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Pfizer said they achieved 90% with the two doses 7 days apart

Pfizer and BioNTech Announce Vaccine Candidate Against COVID-19 Achieved Success in First Interim Analysis from Phase 3 Study | Pfizer

Vaccine candidate was found to be more than 90% effective in preventing COVID-19 in participants without evidence of prior SARS-CoV-2 infection in the first interim efficacy analysis Analysis evaluated 94 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in trial participants Study enrolled 43,538 participants, with...
Cool. I expect a lot less issues in getting people to come back for the second shot if it is that close.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Getting something rushed through approval really worries me, and a wholeheartedly support mass vaccination programs. I dread to think what damage this will do to people's perception of vaccines if they fuck it up somehow.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
If Boris and his band of twats don't fuck this up we could have the most vulnerable people vaccinated by Feb.

This is now my biggest concern with this vaccine. This is the biggest public health operation the NHS has ever had to conduct and it's being managed by one of the most incompetent governments we've ever had. I have zero faith in them pulling this off well.

They've had months to prepare, they've known what they need to do and they've given themselves the money to do it, but they will fuck it up.

I'm fully anticipating seeing headlines next year about the millions of doses that have been sat in a warehouse somewhere, or they ordered the wrong needles or some bullshit like that.

Sorry for the morning pessimism, but like I said, zero faith that they can pull this thing off.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So uhm how is that even going to work out considering the vaccine is produced in Belgium and with a hard Brexit very likely now how will the doses the UK ordered even reach them in time? And that's just the tip of the iceberg...

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
So uhm how is that even going to work out considering the vaccine is produced in Belgium and with a hard Brexit very likely now how will the doses the UK ordered even reach them in time? And that's just the tip of the iceberg...
Same as it would with any non-EU country and stuff that is produced in Belgium: custom slips detailing what is in the plane.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely fantastic news, especially with the combination of the second wave of infections lessening.

It's obviously going to be a long process of immunisation but it really does feel like the end is in sight now.