• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
www.independent.co.uk

UK approves first-of-its-kind study to infect young people with Covid

New research aims to help doctors and scientists to further understand how immune system reacts to Sars-CoV-2
The UK has approved a first-of-its-kind study that will expose young and healthy volunteers to Covid-19 as part of efforts to further understand the virus, the government has announced.

Due to begin in the next few weeks, the study will recruit up to 90 carefully-selected participants aged between 18 and 30 - who are at the lowest risk of complications from coronavirus - and expose them to the pathogen in a safe and controlled environment.
After exposure, the volunteers will be closely monitored by medics and scientists for 24 hours a day throughout the study. They will be kept in quarantine for a minimum of 17 days and only allowed to return home after this period once they are no longer deemed infectious.
Commenting on the new study, business secretary Kwasi Kwarteng said: "While there has been very positive progress in vaccine development, we want to find the best and most effective vaccines for use over the longer term.

"These Human Challenge studies will take place here in the UK and will help accelerate scientists' knowledge of how coronavirus affects people and could eventually further the rapid development of vaccines."

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Why don't they use the kids that have been getting infected in schools for the past year?

Oct 26, 2017
With 90 people in that age group, it's quite possible that noone will die, statistically speaking. But do you want to play that game?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how much they pay.
Not much. They intentionally don't pay a lot so at risk groups don't feel compelled to volunteer under economic duress. It's medical ethics thing.

I'm currently on a trial in the US, not in teen obviously, but for one of the vaccines still awaiting authorization.

We need more younger ages to do trials, but hard to get volunteers as they need parental consent.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not much. They intentionally don't pay a lot so at risk groups don't feel compelled to volunteer under economic duress. It's medical ethics thing.

I'm currently on a trial in the US, not in teen obviously, but for one of the vaccines still awaiting authorization.

We need more younger ages to do trials, but hard to get volunteers as they need parental consent.

A girl I used to work with, here in the UK, got something like £2000 for doing a Flu study.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a while but I think it was only 2-3 weeks or so because she used her annual leave from work to do it.

Might be different with Flu though because of the greater understanding + seasonal nature.
Oh, that's pretty involved then. Makes sense the pay was pretty high.

I didn't need to take off for the current vax trial I'm doing.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that's pretty involved then. Makes sense the pay was pretty high.

I didn't need to take off for the current vax trial I'm doing.

Ahh right yeah, in this case she got injected with Flu and had to stay where the study was taking place so they could study its effects. Something like that anyway,, it's even called "FluCamp" lol

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Ahh right yeah, in this case she got injected with Flu and had to stay where the study was taking place so they could study its effects. Something like that anyway,, it's even called "FluCamp" lol

Ah, that makes tons of sense. That's very involved.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
First person to die from this is probably gonna feel pretty stupid.
My main concern would be organ damage and the potential long term implications of that. The people over 20 are at the greatest risk in the study.

But the study is taking place in the context of scientists being in a race between a mutating virus and the vaccines designed to stop it. Millions of lives are on the line. Difficult decisions will have to be made, and they will have to live with the outcomes.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
How can exposing someone to corona virus be done in a "safe and controlled" way? Shit is wildly unpredictable from person to person.

They say 'safe and controlled environment', which is a reference to the 24/7 monitoring during the short term exposure, rather than the risk of long-term effect.
the study will recruit up to 90 carefully-selected participants aged between 18 and 30 - who are at the lowest risk of complications from coronavirus - and expose them to the pathogen in a safe and controlled environment.
After exposure, the volunteers will be closely monitored by medics and scientists for 24 hours a day throughout the study. They will be kept in quarantine for a minimum of 17 days and only allowed to return home after this period once they are no longer deemed infectious.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
How can exposing someone to corona virus be done in a "safe and controlled" way? Shit is wildly unpredictable from person to person.

To start with they're young, so the risk of serious illness is greatly reduced.

Also sounds like they're selecting those unlikely to be at risk from underlying conditions.

And they're going to be monitored extremely closely.

Basically, if anything were to go seriously wrong, then they'd absolutely be inthe best place for early treatment.

Wouldn't do it myself, but this is clearly important so respect for those who volunteer.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Was wondering what was going on with this, thanks for the update.

The article says they'll be given remdesivir as soon as they start viral shedding from their nose and are under constant monitoring of course so this is probably relatively safe (as these things go).

Therefore it seems the main focus here is to study the early stages of infection as we don't know a whole lot about how that works yet and also try to determine what quantity of virus is needed to become infected. These are important questions. Pretty courageous of the volunteers though as we don't know much yet about the longer-term effects of even mild infections.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't they use the kids that have been getting infected in schools for the past year?
You don't know how far they are into the infection. There's arguably not much info on how Covid proceeds in its earliest possible stages. When someone knows they have it, due to a test, they probably already had it for a few days.