• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
The trade part with the yellow circles will be the interesting part.

Rejoining is easier than you think.
I think once the reality of Brexit becomes apparent to people, this could happen rather quickly.
We'll never rejoin if we have to give up the pound. I don't see why the EU would give historic concessions after the shit we've pulled.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Well, better than nothing? I still habe a hunch that it will be devastagiong in practice and a lot of stuff re: medicine/pharmaceutics/research will be a shitshow.

I haven't seen anything about private to business transactions in my quick glance at the pics from the EU. If I, a German, were to buy some physical goods from a UK store in Jan, will there be import fees and a customs check and added tax? What if I buy now but they post it in January?

Just the extra paperwork is going to wipe out tons of already struggling UK business.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, better than nothing? I still habe a hunch that it will be devastagiong in practice and a lot of stuff re: medicine/pharmaceutics/research will be a shitshow.

I haven't seen anything about private to business transactions in my quick glance at the pics from the EU. If I, a German, were to buy some physical goods from a UK store in Jan, will there be import fees and a customs check and added tax? What if I buy now but they post it in January?

There will be vat to be paid,yes. You will have to deal with customs, yes.
Last question is hard to answer, that depends how the handle the transition, but I can guarantee delays at least.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
So guess we'll move discussion over how long the Breturn will take now. A decade before it's voted in and another 5 years before it's finished.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Think we're more likely to see Scotland and NI leave the UK and rejoin the EU in future rather than the whole of the UK rejoining the EU.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
So guess we'll move discussion over how long the Breturn will take now. A decade before it's voted in and another 5 years before it's finished.

Neither Labour or the Tories are going to be interested in pushing for joining the EU for the foreseeable future. It's not happening.

The Tories certainly aren't going to ever be on board with rejoining, Labour campaigning to rejoin will be a needless vote loser for decades, and to be honest, there are many things that a transformative government can do to improve people's lives that don't involve the EU.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It will be double that, at least, for it to even enter the forefront of British politics. Labour won't touch it, it's a cursed subject. And if they won't then it's a dead topic. I genuinely don't think we'll rejoin in my lifetime.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
And now the British can focus on seperating themselves from the Irish and Scots so they can truly be on their own right?

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think we'll ever rejoin. The best we can hope for in my lifetime is us slowly signing up to EU practices to make life easier until we eventually end up with a Norway type deal with even less say in what happens then they do. The UK is also mor likely to break up with a united Ireland and independent Scotland before that happens as well.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
While this is mostly a shit sandwich, the U.K. still participating in the Horizon science programme is a relief for staff at our lab.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I would say never because of the right wing press making up the majority, the public will never be swayed enough to make it a platform for Labour or the Tories no matter how bad it gets.

Just goes to show, a bad deal is better than no deal.

True. Was May's deal better than this deal?

Plum

May 31, 2018
Fuck, it's finally hitting me that we're leaving the EU and we ain't ever coming back. I know it's been 4 years but it's only now truly sinking in.

There's no escape and there's no way things are ever going to get better. They're only going to get worse. Guess I just need to try and enjoy myself a bit before I, or we, can't do so anymore.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Do you have a link to this being confirmed? Good for quite a few people in my circle too!

www.google.co.uk

From tariffs to visas: here's what's in the Brexit deal

We take a look at the main agreements that make up the trade and security deal finalised on Christmas Eve

Science

The UK will continue to participate in the EU's flagship €80bn Horizon Europe programme as a paying associate member for seven years. It will also continue in Copernicus and Euratom.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Starmer says they'll vote for it.

EqBQyWdW8AEJaDf

Plum

May 31, 2018
Starmer says they'll vote for it.

I mean why wouldn't he? Starmer's ambitions politically are to get the right-wing to spend another second considering a vote for Labour in 2024. Deciding to own a terrible deal that will fuck this country up for decades will contribute at least another few milliseconds to that honourable goal. Bravo, I say!

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
What's currenty lacking in detail:
  • Access to Galileo, EGNOS and Copernicus space/satellite systems
  • Access to Schengen SIS II criminal databases
  • Access to European Criminal Records Information System (ECRIS)
  • Access to European Arrest Warrant
  • Third country access to Europol agency & databases
  • Ecommerce details
  • Exact levels of access to goods, services, energy, telecoms, transport & other markets
  • Mutual recognition of driving licences
  • Mutual recognition of other certification & licensing

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
One or two superficial populist concessions (and even then far less than was promised) and complete economic capitulation.

Awesome. Cant wait for every superpower out there to take us for a ride.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Merry Christmas ? Maybe ?

Yeah... Well... Better late than never at least. I guess.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
It's not no deal, but it's not far off it.

Ultimately, it sums up all Brexit ever was - a series of losses, with no gains.

England is going to be very lonely within the next decade.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
What's currenty lacking in detail:
  • Access to Galileo, EGNOS and Copernicus space/satellite systems
  • Access to Schengen SIS II criminal databases
  • Access to European Criminal Records Information System (ECRIS)
  • Access to European Arrest Warrant
  • Third country access to Europol agency & databases
  • Ecommerce details
  • Exact levels of access to goods, services, energy, telecoms, transport & other markets
  • Mutual recognition of driving licences
  • Mutual recognition of other certification & licensing
This of any use on the crime stuff?

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Better than crashing out in my view.

Probably speaks better for the future relationship too, rather than talks breaking down and everyone being pissed off.

But, feels like there's a lot of detail to unpick. PM gets his Xmas triumph, but I wonder how long it'll last lol