• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Anyone with more than 30,000 social media followers is now considered a celebrity and subject to advertising rules, a watchdog has ruled in a landmark case.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) found mummy blogger, Sarah Willox Knott, breached its rules when she promoted an over-the-counter sleeping sedative, as the size of her Instagram following classified her as a "celebrity".

The ruling is the first of its kind where a social media 'influencer' has fallen foul of regulations banning celebrities or health professionals from endorsing medical products.

The Telegraph understands that despite the new precedent, the watchdog will still judge whether posts from smaller social media accounts breech its endorsement rules on a case-by-case basis.
The ruling comes after the blogger posted an image on her ThisMamaLife Instagram account in February of her sat in bed smiling with a packet of Phenergan Night Time Tablets visible in the background.

In the caption Willox Knott wrote that she was a "night owl" who found the tablets, which she described as a "pharmacy only, short term solution to insomnia", "really helped" when she struggled to get to sleep.

The ASA concluded: "We considered over 30,000 followers indicated that she had the attention of a significant number of people. Given that she was popular with, and had the attention of a large audience, we considered that ThisMamaLife was a celebrity for the purposes of the CAP Code."

The ASA banned the ad and said Sanofi must not use celebrities or social media influencers again to endorse medicines.

This is good. We must regulate "influencers" as there has been a bunch of cases where they have endorsed products to their following.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Although I can understand both sides of the argument, it doesn't detract from this being one of most the stupidest things I've ever heard of. There needs to be a deeper catergorisation, not just simply saying that once a person has hit 30,000 followers, regardless of output, that they should be classed as such.

e.g., let's say I make a game, that gains me 1 million followers, it doesn't mean that I shouldn't be able to express my views on anything I choose, including medical products. Will they start classifying legit views on product X as endorsements?

Last edited:

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
Good. It's time people start taking responsibility (within reason) for their online content.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Although I can understand both sides of the argument, it doesn't detract from this being one of most the stupidest things I've ever heard of. There needs to be a deeper catergorisation, not just simply saying that once a person has hit 30,000 followers, regardless of output, that they should be classed as such.

The article says that they will evaluate on a case by case basis.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know, I know, "mummy blogger" means something different in the UK, but I like the idea of someone getting really big on social media in the Egyptology sphere.

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
Does the UK not have something equivalent to the FDA? Seems like a weird set of rules.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
"Smaller social media accounts" on a case by case basis.

You've updated your post again. You seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding the ruling. You are not banned from sharing your opinion. This was a case of a paid ad that wasn't compliant with medical advertising regulations. If you are a person of note, and are doing paid ads, you should be subject to rules about paid advertising.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
You've updated your post again. You seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding the ruling. You are not banned from sharing your opinion. This was a case of a paid ad that wasn't compliant with medical advertising regulations. If you are a person of note, and are doing paid ads, you should be subject to rules about paid advertising.

Sorry, didn't read the bit about "paid ads".

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Those with 30k followers will take the wrong thing from this, they'll just focus on the part where someone has called them a celebrity.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Amusing. I have 6 times that on one of my accounts and am in the UK, can't imagine I would ever tweet anything that would fall foul of it though. Thanks for the heads up OP.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Part of me wonders how fast a person could gain 30k followers from scratch if they tried?

In the modern world that seems like a fairly low number?

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
We have regulatory bodies which are far more stringent than the FDA or FCC.

I guess? These laws seem overly stringent. If the FDA approves a drug here to treat something then anybody can market the drug for that use. Don't know why "celebrities" would be barred. "Influencers" being barred is more hilarious.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I guess? These laws seem overly stringent. If the FDA approves a drug here to treat something then anybody can market the drug for that use. Don't know why "celebrities" would be barred. "Influencers" being barred is more hilarious.
Prescription drugs *not* being advertised directly to patients is how it is in many other countries. It's really odd that they can be advertised on TV as they are in the US.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Is this across multiple sites or followers on a single platform?

I know plenty of authors and artists that would easily meet that threshold. Not exactly 'celeb' material, just guys and gals with a pencil.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Just because drugs are approved for human use, does not mean any tom dick or harry gets to promote their use. There's a reason all but two countries in the western world allows this.

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
Prescription drugs *not* being advertised directly to patients is how it is in many other countries. It's really odd that they can be advertised on TV as they are in the US.

I don't think so. Many people in this country don't go to the doctor regularly. Its very common for someone to see a dramatization on TV that describes symptoms they may be experiencing and that ultimately being the galvanizing factor for them to go seek an evaluation.

As long as the claims that the commercials make are regulated, then I don't see why not.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
So i could be officially a celebrity in the UK if i upped my follower count?

Put me on that gameshow so I can slide into the jungle DMs of all the older British actresses.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. Many people in this country don't go to the doctor regularly. Its very common for someone to see a dramatization on TV that describes symptoms they may be experiencing and that ultimately being the galvanizing factor for them to go seek an evaluation.

As long as the claims that the commercials make are regulated, then I don't see why not.
christ, maybe this applies to arse over tit countries where you have to pay a small fortune before a doctor even calls you name, but in most civilised countries (including the one this article is about) you don't need tv adverts to motivate health decisions.

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
christ, maybe this applies to arse over tit countries where you have to pay a small fortune before a doctor even calls you name, but in most civilised countries (including the one this article is about) you don't need tv adverts to motivate health decisions.

ehhh relax. No reason to act like a threatened house cat because someone is asking questions

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
ehhh relax. No reason to act like a threatened house cat because someone is asking questions

You were all up in that China thread yesterday going "why criticize China when we could be self-criticizing America" and now you're criticizing the UK. Maybe have some self awareness

Last edited:

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

It's literally odd, in the sense that America is the odd one out here.

But given that patients *can't* choose their prescription, allowing advertising directly to them is ripe for leading to... ooooh… something like an opioid crisis.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
hihNcCd.jpg

This guy was picked out of the crowd at Glastonbury this weekend and sang a song.

He now has nearly 180,000 people following him

Reviewing on a case by case basis is certainly going to make them very busy

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
You were all up in that China thread yesterday going "why not criticize China when we could be self-criticizing America" and now you're criticizing the UK. Maybe have some self awareness
I criticized China and brought up that this practice also goes on in America, which is supposed to be a democracy where the people can actually do something about it. But as per usual Americans are more into nationalism than actually addressing issues. Also in this case I actually like how America does it. I know, nuance is a very maddening thing...

It's literally odd, in the sense that America is the odd one out here.

But given that patients *can't* choose their prescription, allowing advertising directly to them is ripe for leading to... ooooh… something like an opioid crisis.

You can't chose the drug but you can opt for generic versions, if they exist. That's neither here nor there though. My point is informing the patient who may be trying to tough out a serious condition.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I criticized China and brought up that this practice also goes on in America, which is supposed to be a democracy where the people can actually do something about it. But as per usual Americans are more into nationalism than actually addressing issues. Also in this case I actually like how America does it. I know, nuance is a very maddening thing...

You can't chose the drug but you can opt for generic versions, if they exist. That's neither here nor there though. My point is informing the patient who may be trying to tough out a serious condition.

Informing the patient should be the job of the doctors, not the drug companies trying to sell you drugs

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
'Don't just buy any old normal bathwater - I find only bathwater from female Cosplayers aged 18-24 really hits the spot other bathwaters can't reach'

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
Informing the patient should be the job of the doctors, not the drug companies trying to sell you drugs

If more doctor's and health organizations bought ad space and produced drug agnostic TV spots informing patients then maybe the ones produced by big pharma wouldn't be so effective.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Thank executive action from the Bush administration which the Obama administration only slightly scaled back by forcing more disclosure. Another good example of the 1 step forward, 2 steps back that defines incrementalism's ultiment result of movement backwards.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
30k feels a little low I think 500k or 1 million would be a better rule.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
There's so many random ass Twitter accounts with 30k+ followers that this seems a bit absurd. Should be higher.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Its almost like I'm American.

Just take the loss, Christ. Prescription medicines are not something that need to be advertised on TV alongside the likes of junk food and cleaning products so that people can erroneously self-diagnose and self-medicate. It's a bad idea to market prescription drugs to people who aren't qualified to properly evaluate their usage. Period. Pretty much every other country in the world believes this, surprise that it's the country with one of the worst medical care systems in the world that doesn't.