• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
A Chinese university lecturer in Britain was viciously attacked last week, renewing fears of violent anti-Asian racism in the country amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Peng Wang, who teaches financial management at the University of Southampton, was attacked in broad daylight by four white men aged between 20 and 25 while jogging just minutes from his home last Tuesday.

"Some crazy guys shouted at me from their car on the other side of the road," the 37-year-old lecturer said. "They said 'Chinese virus', get out [of] this country, f*** you."

Wang said he yelled back at the men, who drove away but then circled back and attacked him. The assault left him with a bloody nose and bruises to his face and arm.

Bystanders called for an ambulance and contacted police. A 21-year-old suspect was arrested and later released while investigations continue.

The incident has reinforced fears within the local Chinese community that Covid-19-related racial hate crime against people of Chinese heritage is on the rise in Britain.

www.scmp.com

‘Chinese virus, get out!’: lecturer beaten in UK amid spike in hate crimes

Peng Wang, who teaches at the University of Southampton, suffered face and arm injuries after being beaten by four men while jogging near his home.

Close if old.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking racist assholes. And Southampton has a strong link to China too, making it all the more fucked up.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Having been born and raised in Southampton before leaving for London, I'm not suprised by this at all. Southampton's full of racists who take exception to the high number of ethnic minority communities as well as the high amount of international students who attend the two Universities. I hope the racist vermin who attacked Peng are apprehended as soon as possible.

May 28, 2020
Sadly this has been a huge underreported problem worldwide. Asians are going through a lot right now and my heart goes out to those dealing with these racist attacks and daily harassment from the ignorant asshats that keep targeting them

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking clowns, racist attacks need to be punished with years of imprisonment.
Sick of hearing about stuff like this and then they get off with a couple of months and that's if they actually get convicted at all.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Having been born and raised in Southampton before leaving for London, I'm not suprised by this at all. Southampton's full of racists who take exception to the high number of ethnic minority communities as well as the high amount of international students who attend the two Universities. I hope the racist vermin who attacked Peng are apprehended as soon as possible.

My parents are from Southampton and most of my extended family still live there, the atmosphere has definitely changed a lot in that city from when I used to visit as kid in the 80s / 90s. Some serious divisions amongst communities these days.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Not surprised sadly, the pandemic was used as justification for racist rhetoric, these attitudes aren't new but now the bigots are more emboldened than ever before.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
The likelihood of the attackers actually caring about the virus is absolute zero. 'Chinese virus' will be the slur of choice for racists against all Asians for some time.

But in one corner you've got a university lecturer and the other a bunch of moronic thugs, and unfortunately the latter think their vision for the future of Britain is the way forward.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
The worse part of England, had this shit growing up in the 80's, look forward to a day when racism is eradicated forever.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Went to Soton to do a masters some years back. Can't really recommend the city, it's a bit grim in places especially Shirley. Hope the perps get caught.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
It's just utter stupidity though. If you think a person is the "China Virus" wouldn't putting yourself close to that virus be the silliest thing to do? Racists really are pig shit thick.

Hope he recovers well

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
It's just utter stupidity though. If you think a person is the "China Virus" wouldn't putting yourself close to that virus be the silliest thing to do? Racists really are pig shit thick.

Hope he recovers well

Just pure racist, really. The virus is an excuse, not an actual fear.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

Hope he recovers well
Bigots are never clever enough to think beyond their own arse.

Dec 31, 2017
While brits were vacationing in Spain throughout the summer and gave rise to a worse mutant. These people have no brain. If there was anyone least deserving of the vaccine, it would be these racists, deniers, anti-maskers who helped spread the virus and now reap the benefits of science. Fuck them.