• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
The UK's chief negotiator has said the government is not scared of walking away from talks with the European Union without a deal and vowed not to blink in the final phase.

n a bullish interview with the Mail on Sunday (MoS), the prime minister's Europe sherpa said the UK was preparing to leave the transition period "come what may" – even if that meant exiting with no deal, which officials have dubbed an "Australian-style" arrangement.

"Obviously, lots of preparation was done last year, we are ramping up again and have been for some time under Michael Gove's authority," Frost said.

"I don't think that we are scared of this at all. We want to get back the powers to control our borders and that is the most important thing.

"If we can reach an agreement that regulates trade like Canada's, great. If we can't, it will be an Australian-like trading agreement and we are fully ready for that."

His comments came as the EU sought to dismiss a report in the Telegraph that Barnier would be "sidelined" before the talks were over so European leaders could thrash out a deal before the deadline.

But bloc spokesman Sebastian Fischer tweeted on Saturday: "Whoever wants to engage with the EU on Brexit needs to engage with Michel Barnier.

"He is the EU's Brexit chief negotiator and enjoys the full trust, support and confidence of the EU 27. He has a proven track record of leading successful Brexit negotiations on behalf of the EU."

www.theguardian.com

UK’s Brexit negotiator says government is not scared of no-deal exit

David Frost says the country is fully ready for Australia-style agreement with the EU

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
s75JpKvIMasIgVYWTU74-iurG7CRSWteEG9gyfELsyk.jpg

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Those fuckers will absolutely get a no-deal, then resign, then blame the fallout on litteraly anyone else.

Oct 28, 2017
Of course not, they're rich enough that they won't be affected, so they'll all be fine. It's the rest of us who are going to be fucked.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
they've spent a lot of time trying to work out a deal they supposedly don't care about.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
not gonna lie i thought brexit was already fucking done because it feels like it's been 654 years

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
yeah I thought this was kinda over already, like, the kind of deal was already decided (no deal, I thought), learning that it uhhh... isn't... feels like Brexit is just the state of the UK now, like, permanently.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they be scared of it? It's what they explicitly wanted and set into motion to achieve.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
We're not scared of something that will not affect our material conditions in any way 🙃

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
Funny how these "brave little england" fuckers need to compare us to literally any other country to try and assuaged people's fears from the nightmare they've created

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, I thought this already happened. Getting some crazy Mandela Effect vibes going on at the moment.
What happened already was the UK exiting the EU, which happened after the first stage of the process (negotiation of a withdrawal agreement). The UK is now in a transition period, during which it still follows EU rules and remains within the EU single market. This transition period ends at the end of December. When the UK and EU agreed the transition period, the aim was to negotiate some kind of comprehensive trading relationship during it. That will now definitely not happen - the only question remaining is whether there will be no deal at the end, or some kind of basic rushed arrangement.

Yeah, i vaguely remember the UK government saying if there wasn't a deal by July we would quit talking and start doing stuff of a brexity nature.
July was the deadline for the extension of the transition period. It could theoretically have been extended until the end of 2022 with the agreement of both the UK and EU. That deadline has since passed so there is no longer a formal option for extending the transition period.

Confirmation that the transition period would only last until the end of the year kicked off a number of preparatory plans, and accelerated others that were already in progress, though all signs point towards the UK still being quite unprepared.

yeah I thought this was kinda over already, like, the kind of deal was already decided (no deal, I thought), learning that it uhhh... isn't... feels like Brexit is just the state of the UK now, like, permanently.
In most senses, yes. The EU will remain the UK's largest trading partner. Since there won't be a comprehensive trade arrangement out of these talks, there will almost certainly have to be more talks in future, and unless the UK agrees to things that are currently off the table (like regulatory alignment and some kind dispute settlement mechanism), those talks are likely to be recurring, forever.

I don't know what they mean when they say this and I am Australian
It's a silly UK way of saying that they want nothing. Throughout the process, there have been attempts within the UK to describe what kind of relationship it wanted to have with the EU after Brexit. This started off as a "Norway-style" deal (high level of regulatory alignment, free movement, membership of customs union and single market), then politicians started talking about "Canada-style" (comprehensive free trade agreement but very limited integration with the EU), then there was a ridiculous period of time when they started saying they wanted idiotic things like "Canada-plus-plus-plus", and remain campaigners started talking about a "Germany-style" deal (meaning not actually leaving the EU at all).

The idea of an "Australia-style" deal is a later evolution. It means "no deal", since Australia does not currently have a formal trade agreement with the EU, and trades with the EU on WTO terms. (Australia and the EU are working towards a deal, but Brexit supporters probably don't know or care about that).

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
When you repeteadly have to threaten you are not scared to harm yourself i think things aren't going too well

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I need to stock up on Warhammer stuff at UK discounter prices before years end, thanks for reminding me again.

Imagine the UK during the pandemic with the whole "traffic jam at the border" and "problems with importing vital goods like food and drugs" stacked on top. Perfect time to end the transition period.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they be scared of it? It is the government position. it just took them three years to con enough parlementarians to vote for it.
It is why the EU made sure the backstop doesn't depend on the English.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I need to find that picture of Frost's team and the EU team where he's grinning like an idiot with nothing in front of him while the EU folks have copious amounts of paperwork.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
I'd remind people that there are a number of people within the UK government who either regard a no deal exit as desirable or not a disaster. That the UK government is behaving as such shouldn't surprise anybody.

Those fuckers will absolutely get a no-deal, then resign, then blame the fallout on litteraly anyone else.

I'd say a) as above, they wouldn't consider leaving without a deal a failure and b) resigning because you were responsible for a colossal fuck-up is a very quaint idea nowadays.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The COVID situation shows you what's coming, emergency policy that means billions gets funnelled into Tory pockets without oversight while the bigger brutes feast on the shitshow and consolidate power and assets on the cheap. They just have to throw out some red meat for idiots and racists like taking back control of the borders and our fish, see the crap in that article. Same old shit.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I can't wait for is the double standards when indyref2 comes around where Brexiteers will demand that Scotland remain part of the UK. No doubt they may be too stupid to realise the hypocrisy.

ps3ud0 8)

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is what this Tory government want, now they've got covid to blame when the economy tanks even more so it's easy for them, it's been looking like no-deal for a long time now. The UK government are clearly planning to offer all kinds of incentives to large companies which is specifically what the EU don't want and they've not moved anywhere in negotiations because of it.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Government ain't scared but hey, who gives a shit about the rest of the population?

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
We want to get back the powers to control our borders and that is the most important thing
No shit. You just wanted poor brown people gone and white people with money to spend, spend, spend away*! That was the whole game plan.

*and if you're the son of an ex-KGB agent owning the Evening Standard, hey, here's a peerage for ya!

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Well, they kind of have to make that claim or they won't have a foot to stand on during negotiations. As absurd as it is.

But they really do seem to be steering towards a hard Brexit for some insane reason.

What else can they leverage that the EU needs (access to)? Fishing and..?

Last edited:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The people who politically desired leave from the start have already made their money. They don't give a shit.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The fuck is with this site and celebration of the suffering of others? Yeah fuck you british poors getting dragged through this huh?
It is not-PC to point out, but it is absolutely self-inflicted for them.
The poorest households, with incomes of less than £20,000 per year, were much more likely to support leaving the EU than the wealthiest households, as were the unemployed, people in low-skilled and manual occupations, people who feel that their financial situation has worsened, and those with no qualifications
www.jrf.org.uk

Brexit vote explained: poverty, low skills and lack of opportunities

This report provides unprecedented insight into the dynamics of the 2016 vote to leave the EU, showing how a lack of opportunity across the country led to Brexit.