• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well not that it's not shocking, but it certainly is something that could happen in that era and context, also this is a R* game.

I watched my friend playing GTAV this week-end and he was on a mission to spy on a celebrity that was literally being fucked in her backyard, as in you could see everything so heh, not too surprised about that, R* has no limit.

Oct 27, 2017
For the reasons I have mentioned in my other post.
This post?
Yes. I think R* wants to show that nasty shit, besides being killed (as a gameplay device) can happen to the player characters as well and not only to NPCs. It basically says that it could happen to you, at any time, and it appeals right to the mindset "nah, things don't happen to me. It's always the others." Until it happens. This is dark but real. And the blatant presentation, without a cutscene, that leaves only implications, makes it actually even more scarier and authentic (I assume).
Or this one?
I don't know. Maybe because they didn't want to spend too much resources on that event and/or it wouldn't suit their depiction of Arthur, dealing with a trauma that's not tied to the main plot and narrative.

Because this doesn't excuse anything on why they added rape if they won't put effort into showing the trauma. Rape affects victims their whole life and this undermines that. If they wanted to add such a sensetive topic into the game then it requires thought and effort. They don't want to do that then don't add it in the first place.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Seriously, I had the man tied up with potent predator bait and witnessed him being killed by an alligator only to come back weeks later.
The intent is to play the event through, which is fucking stupid imo.

Fuck Rockstar for that, seriously. Imagine if we were playing Sadie.

He comes back after the event aswell.

I have killed probably 5 times. All those after it.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I played this, and yeah, it's really fucked up. Went back and blew his brains to bits of course but it was so strange, especially as it's never mentioned again.

Is Arthur's trauma implied afterwards? It was towards the end of the game for me so I can't really judge if it was or not.

Oct 27, 2017
I played this, and yeah, it's really fucked up. Went back and blew his brains to bits of course but it was so strange, especially as it's never mentioned again.

Is Arthur's trauma implied afterwards? It was towards the end of the game for me so I can't really judge if it was or not.
Bill makes fun of Arthur about it which embarasses Arthur and appearently the rapist respawns but is scared from you if you return after you kill him.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I am just playing RDR2 here, enjoying my ride.

I am in the middle of the forest/swamp, and there is a single cabin there. There is an NPC sitting on a chair right there. Then, he calls me. I stop by, and he invites me to come inside his house. "I have food" he says. Obviously it is a trap, I think to myself. But I am curious to see what is all about.

And then... he knocked me out of consciouness. Everything gets black, he say some words, clearly implying he raped Arthur as he struggled to free himself. Black screen.

Then Arthur wakes up far from his cabin. "Oh my Lord..." he says showing difficulty as he starts to walk.

I am... not sure how I feel about this. I actually felt really violated and cant stop thinking about it. Not sure if this was handled well... I guess feeling disgusted about it means they kind of achieved their point but it begs the question: why? Was this whole thing really necessary? I know the game touches some very dark subjects but this was a little too much.

What is your stance on this?

PS: I went back to his house and killed him btw. He said "Not you again" and something along the lines of "I dont want you anymore".

I had that scene happening too and never thought he raped me? o_O I thought he just knocked me out cold and beat the shit out of me which is why I didn't have any health after that.

Edit: Reading this thread. Wow so I got raped at that moment. Sure didn't feel that way or because I didn't expect it.

Apr 16, 2018
I'm not bothered.

Just like I don't expect Rockstar to have any meaningful commentary on race relations in a western story, I don't expect any for sexual assault, either.

Entertainment isn't always meant to teach the person consuming it a lesson. I'm not looking for an enlightened lesson on dealing with trauma and PTSD in a video game lol

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Hell one of the debt collector side missions at the beginning of the game results in you finding out you basically forced a woman into prostitution towards the end of the game and I don't see anyone starting an uproar about that. I'd say that's much, much worse than this.

That woman's choice of how she chose to work is worse than what happened to Arthur?

I can understand the rape-scene.

But what about the doctor-bit made you drop it if I may ask?

I didn't drop the game, I pushed forward with it. It's just that those two events coming one after the other just made me have enough. It felt like after all I had put into the character and all his stats dropped and his character being diminished like that ruined it for me. Hard to explain fully right now.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't played the game, but I'm not understanding the OP's point.

Should games not touch on these themes? I'm always perplexed how we want gaming to grow up, yet still have sensibilities of a medium meant for teens and kids. Based on the description, it obviously is not moralizing a point of view explicitly. That the scene is abhorrent should be assumed, just a rape scene would be in a movie. It's fiction. You don't have a narrator saying it is wrong. It's not an afternoon school special. You're an observer and passive participant in this scene.

Is the issue that it was not listed in the ESRB warning?

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I didn't come across this event while I was playing. Does anyone know what, if anything Arthur writes in his journal about it? A lot of times his deeper thoughts are in the journal, not actually in gameplay or cutscenes.

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
Wtf is this shit? The whole rape scene, then this player basically hog tying this guy and killing him with an aligator. How is this realism fun in any fucking way ?This is fucking disturbing.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I didn't drop the game, I pushed forward with it. It's just that those two events coming one after the other just made me have enough. It felt like after all I had put into the character and all his stats dropped and his character being diminished like that ruined it for me. Hard to explain fully right now.

Ah, I understand.

Was just curious.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In a game as raw as RDR2, I don't see why this should be off limits.

The only thing that really bothers me is that the guy respawns.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Entertainment isn't always meant to teach the person consuming it a lesson. I'm not looking for an enlightened lesson on dealing with trauma and PTSD in a video game lol

And yet scenes like this could easily trigger PTSD for rape victims themselves.

You are right though, Rockstar didn't have a lesson here, really. It's a commercial product meant to make money, and if they can piggyback off of victims to keep players like you sated, then they'll do it in a heartbeat.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I remember that event, but it happened after I had killed a creepy couple that was trying to get me into a threesome with me being the desert, an alcoholic father because he was too rough on his son and at least 200 other folks. At that point I had a real life attitude like a character from a Tarantino movie, so not shocking at all. I even laughed to be brutally honest. And to be quite fair there's a story mission that can also be interpreted this way.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no issues with it tbh, they dont hold back with the racism either but its up to you how you handle it. That is the world Arthur lives in, felt great blowing thier heads off afterwards i might add.

The world in RDR2 is terrifying though, its beautiful as it is dark and psychotic, there were homes id enter where entire families were slain (children dead on the floor), with small hints as to what had happened.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
It's super fucked up how casually it's played off. Arthur is just like, "that was fucked up, oh well". Ignoring the mental trauma that comes with this is disgusting. Just a shitty almost cartoony representation of a horrifying dehumanizing act.

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played the game, but I'm not understanding the OP's point.

Should games not touch on these themes? I'm always perplexed how we want gaming to grow up, yet still have sensibilities of a medium meant for teens and kids. Based on the description, it obviously is not moralizing a point of view explicitly. That the scene is abhorrent should be assumed, just a rape scene would be in a movie. It's fiction. You don't have a narrator saying it is wrong. It's not an afternoon school special. You're an observer and passive participant in this scene.

Is the issue that it was not listed in the ESRB warning?
No.

The issue is the game is undermining rape. Rape is a very sensitive matter and for the game to just brush it of like they did is bad. Arthur literally goes "oh well" and keeps going on his day after being raped when in real life a victim of rape would feel the pain through out their whole life. To add salt on the wound the game has Bill make fun of Arthur for what happened to him and even respawns the rapist even if you kill him before the rape AND after.

All it did was take a sensetive topic and make fun of it. This is the opposite of mature.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
No.

The issue is the game is undermining rape. Rape is a very sensitive matter and for the game to just brush it of like they did is bad. Arthur literally goes "oh well" and keeps going on his day after being raped when in real life a victim of rape would feel the pain through out their whole life. To add salt on the wound the game has Bill make fun of Arthur for what happened to him and even respawns the rapist even if you kill him before the rape AND after.

All it did was take a sensetive topic and make fun of it. This is the opposite of mature.
Not that I expect much nuance from Rockstar based on previous portrayals, but what if Arthur's response to such a trauma would be to bury it internally?

Some people mention he has a journal? Is it mentioned there?

Oct 27, 2017
Not that I expect much nuance from Rockstar based on previous portrayals, but what if Arthur's response to such a trauma would be to bury it internally?

Some people mention he has a journal? Is it mentioned there?
That would have been way better than we got. But sadly we don't get any internal monologue or anything.

I don't have the game anymore so I can't check but I asked about the journal and haven't gotten an answer so probably not.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Because this doesn't excuse anything on why they added rape if they won't put effort into showing the trauma. Rape affects victims their whole life and this undermines that. If they wanted to add such a sensetive topic into the game then it requires thought and effort. They don't want to do that then don't add it in the first place.

People want freedom and role playing yet seem to need to be constantly fed informations on how they should feel.
Again, it's not the game that should tell you how to feel or how your character feels.

If it had happened to me the irrational shame and feeling of being powerless and violated wouldn't have left me the entire playthrough, silly as it may sound I wouldn't have experienced Arthur's story the same way, which begins to make you realise how one must feel.

That's not even taking into account the practical difficulties of having a random event that maybe 2% of players experienced affect the rest of the game.

The game absolutely doesn't make fun of it, that's just silly.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What bothered me about this scene is that the moment you go inside, the cutscene starts...there is no player agency.

I knew the guy was shifty and was going to do something bad, but I went with him because I was curious WHAT exactly would happen. The fact that cutscene immediately starts and you get knocked out in it is lame, because if Arthur (or me) was in that situation for real, he would never let the suspicious guy from eyesight and definitely not let him get behind.

So I reloaded an hour old save (I did not want to play with Arthur being rape survivor), went there, roped the fucker and left him to aligators. And got bad karma for it :)

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Dismissive behaviour in a sensitive thread, recent severe infractions
Oct 27, 2017
People want freedom and role playing yet seem to need to be constantly fed informations on how they should feel.
Again, it's not the game that should tell you how to feel or how your character feels.

If it had happened to me the irrational shame and feeling of being powerless and violated wouldn't have left me the entire playthrough, silly as it may sound I wouldn't have experienced Arthur's story the same way, which begins to make you realise how one must feel.

That's not even taking into account the practical difficulties of having a random event that maybe 2% of players experienced affect the rest of the game.
You say freedom yet the event doesn't even give you choice on how to tackle it. You can't fight back, you can't kill him off (he respawns) and yet you are telling me about freedom?

Arthur is an established character that you guide through the game, not a personal character that is supposed to be you. If they want to have Arthur get raped then they need to put effort into it because rape is something that is very sensetive.

The fact is that Rockstar is undermining rape no matter how you put it.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This.
What the fuck with sensitive people nowadays? The game is a WILD west simulator.

I like that you think this is a sensitivity problem because "mah historical accuracy!!!!!" So...they should have called all black people derogatory words right? Because that would be historically accurate.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow.
At least for me it's ok, never saw it for myself in game. It's another shocking moment in a game full of shocking moments and hard violence, and not completely out of context in that harsh times of history.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Some of the responses in here are sickening. :(

This thing is triggering PTSD for people like me and you are happy Rockstar put this thing in?
There is no warning that this will be something unique and not just another mugging or assault. Those are things that we can expect in pretty much every single "mature" game and there is stuff like that shown in trailers. Plain old violence is expected from a third person shooter.
Getting your control taken away from you, having your player character getting sexually assaulted and then mocked for it is fucking disgusting and people that can't see that are seriously scaring me.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Wow.
At least for me it's ok, never saw it for myself in game. It's another shocking moment in a game full of shocking moments and hard violence, and not completely out of context in that harsh times of history.

So its fine to represent the aftermath of rape as just getting along with your day like nothing happened?

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
This is disturbing as hell, we need to create a seperate rating system for games that have depictions of extreme sexual violence. As someone who has survived my own trauma, I need be aware of the inclusion of scenes like this prior to playing.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Huh? That's pretty wild for a video game.

Not really very far-fetched at all considering the setting.