• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
So robbery, murder, and police genocide is fine but somehow this crosses the line?
Hell one of the debt collector side missions at the beginning of the game results in you finding out you basically forced a woman into prostitution towards the end of the game and I don't see anyone starting an uproar about that. I'd say that's much, much worse than this.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Lgb6QUx.png
None of that says "By the way, your character gets raped", so I'm not counting that.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
What is a well written rape scene?
I'm not going to get deep into this argument. What I will say is that while it's an intensely serious and sensitive subject, it is possible to write and depict rape in media with the intent to disgust and frighten the audience, giving such a scene narrative weight.

In RDR2, it's throw-away shock content and nothing more. It's just there to surprise and offend. It happens, maybe you go back and kill the rapist, and then that's it.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure all the murder survivors are reeling from all the murder in the game
I agree that it's stupid to wield murder being in a game as a cudgel against criticism of how rape is handled.

But there are tons of people that have traumatic experiences with murders of loved ones. It's really reductionist and shitty to frame what you just said that way.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
"woah pop fucking quiz everyone there are GUNS and VIOLENCE in this game let me remind you how desensitized we are of death and murder thanks to media!!!!!!!!!!!!"

you could also, not post if you don't intend to actually discuss anything
Take your own advice.

It's relevant to point out that this is a game with extremely mature themes.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not only that, but there's a encounter where you have to save a woman from being raped

Pretty heavy i thought

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
None of that says "By the way, your character gets raped", so I'm not counting that.

It also doesnt say your pet horse dies.
You should assume that M rated game with all those things included is meant for mature audience with all king of things included that sticker says.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it's stupid to wield murder being in a game as a cudgel against criticism of how rape is handled.

But there are tons of people that have traumatic experiences with murders of loved ones. It's really reductionist and shitty to frame what you just said that way.
DEath is an inevitability that can and will happen and people accept that

Sexual violence is not

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It also doesnt say your pet horse dies.
You should assume that M rated game with all those things included is meant for mature audience with all king of things included that sticker says.
Is it too much to ask for a trigger warning?

For fuck's sake, we had one with Modern Warfare 2 and that was ages ago.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I mean, it was pretty powerful for me in that it made me feel geniune anger, espcially since i went back and he wasnt there meaning i couldnt even get revenge.

Not having a warning somehow before is dumb, but atleast it wasnt done in jest like most games would do.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
your stranger danger senses were going off and you went into the house anyway, because you were curious?

whenever I see something in a game by choice, not because the choice made sense or fit the character but out of my personal curiosity, I have trouble criticizing what happens.

Jun 12, 2018
Okay this made me laugh.

But yeah, the scene was messed up, but there's plenty of other messed up scenes in RDR2. This doesn't seem better or worse than any other ones that I encountered.

The cultural/racial moments throughout the game triggered me way more than watching this rape situation now that I've watched the youtube clip that someone linked earlier in the thread that shows the encounter.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
The world Arthur resides in is designed to feel real
And that includes awful things happening

Nov 4, 2018
While there is a point about how Rated M games haven't dealt with a lot of situations like Rape in a game, I think that's more of a discussion on how flawed the ESRB is with its rating systems and the reluctance to sell games with heavily mature content (AO rated games).

I mean how can you tell me a system that gives Halo 3 and Read Redemption Dead 2 the same rating isn't flawed?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My only complaint is the same complaint I have about most of the NPCs in the game. Based on that video, even if you go back and get revenge, neither your character or the man who raped you acknowledge that it happened. They have all these unique events with absolutely no payoff.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.aspx
Under Content Descriptions on the ESRB website, it lists:
  • Sexual Violence - Depictions of rape or other violent sexual acts
RDR2 does not list this even though it does happen in the game.
It doesn't depict rape though. Your character gets knocked out, and you wake up to an NPC telling you that you struggled.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
That's when you reload your save and pretend it never happened.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I didn't come across that scene in particular but Rockstar is not known for restraint when it comes to cynical stereotypes, ugly characters or crass asides played up for humor and/or shock, even in a game that strives to be more in RDR2. It's in their DNA. Sometimes it works, often I find they miss the mark, but you know it when you see it and it's rarely "mature."

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
hey cool the ESRB is still fucking dumb
The ESRB doesn't go through everything, they don't have time to do that. There is a lot of trust put on developers to go through and manually select what content occurs in their games, and they'll do a light play to see if it holds up. To miss a single scene that requires a Sexual Violence tag, as terrible as it is, is not unreasonable.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yeah it's freakin weird and the way they go about it is like they wanted the player to just be like "whoa Arthur was raped!" Followed by "haha" or something. It didn't feel like a serious scene at all and that's what I find strange and gross.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guess they should've removed it so you wouldn't have to think about that sort of thing happening in the 1900s... but then again it IS rated M for Mature Audiences so I'm kind of torn.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.aspx
Under Content Descriptions on the ESRB website, it lists:
  • Sexual Violence - Depictions of rape or other violent sexual acts
RDR2 does not list this even though it does happen in the game.

Yep. One can consider themselves to be mature and able to handle things that most M-rated games would throw at you. But it would still be helpful to know if the game they're playing is gonna decide to suddenly rape their character and potentially trigger some real PTSD shit. And treat it like a sidequest and not something serious. Because it's not something that normally happens in games unlike the violence in practically every game. It's a big enough deal that "sexual violence" should be listed somewhere on that rating.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
The world Arthur resides in is designed to feel real
And that includes awful things happening
Is it realistic for Arthur to get raped and basically just move on with no word about it otherwise? I get that people internalize that shit, but it's a crazy thing to have happen to a character and then just go SHRUG and move on.

The game isn't significantly more realistic with its inclusion. If anything it's less realistic because how they handle it makes little sense in terms of characterization. And nobody would have missed it if it wasn't there. The main thing it achieved was probably triggering some people who have rape trauma.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yeah it's freakin weird and the way they go about it is like they wanted the player to just be like "whoa Arthur was raped!" Followed by "haha" or something. It didn't feel like a serious scene at all and that's what I find strange and gross.
In what way does it seem like they in any way, shape, or form were looking for that kind of reaction? People generally react to that scene with confusion, if anything, and then anger at the implication. Not "holy shit bro, Arthur just got raped! Haha!".

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
There are infamous rape scenes in other forms of art, irreversible and deliverance immediately spring to mind - I do think themes of this nature should be dealt with delicately if possible, if they have to be included at all. Ideally, inclusion of such things should have a point. The horror of attacks in real life is that they're motivated only by the selfish will of an attacker, but in narrative art - if you're going to portray it, it would be perhaps best to say something about it - because its a traumatic thing. It changes people forever. Does Arthur or anyone else reference this beyond the optional gameplay revenge?

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Take your own advice.

It's relevant to point out that this is a game with extremely mature themes.

I'm very ready to discuss how these mature themes are handled within the context of RDR2

I'm just, you know, not a fucking idiot that wishes to push away the discussion with airheaded whataboutisms. I drink water

Let me clarify once again: I'm not the against the idea of the depiction of rape or sexual violence/abuse in video games, but if it's handled to my belief, poorly, then I'm gonna laugh and criticize it. That's it that's all.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It doesn't depict rape though. Your character gets knocked out, and you wake up to an NPC telling you that you struggled.
NOTE: Content Descriptors are applied relative to the Rating Category assigned and are not intended to be a complete listing of content. When a Content Descriptor is preceded by the term "Mild" it is intended to convey low frequency, intensity or severity.
Mild Sexual Violence is what this would be categorized as. It's implied, meaning it's still there, however not depicted.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This seems like a flawed argument.

You could have known someone who was murdered.

Or been assaulted seriously.

Creators can't get rid of anything that could upset some people when their creation is enjoyed by tens of millions.

It's an adult game with adult themes.

Family members of the murdererd maybe
This is all true, but I would assert that rape is more personal than knowing somebody who was murdered. Although that assertion is probably wrong, considering everyone deals with trauma in different ways.

I was really just trying to be cheeky, which I'm glad wasn't lost on you three, as inappropriate as my initial post may have been.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I ran into that fellow too. Bill even alludes to it later when you go back to camp as seen in this video:

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played it but going by past Rockstar games they put it in for shock value and judging by this thread it worked.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This is all true, but I would assert that rape is more personal than knowing somebody who was murdered. Although that assertion is probably wrong, considering everyone deals with trauma in different ways.

I was really just trying to be cheeky, which I'm glad wasn't lost on you three, as inappropriate as my initial post may have been.
No one trauma is worse than another.