• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
RDA VS Conor makes a lot sense now tbh
The thing with Gaethje is he's a durability monster who either needs to be decisioned or stopped late and Conor just isn't that sort of fighter. Plus his defence has come a long way since his early UFC run. There's every chance Conor bonks him early because Conor is that guy but I just don't see it being a likely outcome.
I really not that high of Gaethje so maybe I'm biased lol, but that dude don't have good loss resume at all
But Conor had trouble with leg kicks today and Justin is the best at it..

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
His defense against the leg kicks was piss poor, and his offense was lacking the guile he had 4-5 years ago. Like, wtf was up with him trying to box? Where were all the leg kicks? And why was he letting so many leg kicks hit home without checking them?
He figured he would take him out before the leg kicks start to effect him.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Give him a few more fights and let him clear the ring rust
The only problem is, I don't believe for a second that Conor will be properly active ever again.

If I had to guess, he'll be gone for 8 months and then book a very winnable fight (like he did with Cowboy) for Q4 2021, pick up the W and then talk about 'the King being back' in the post-fight and will ask Dana for a title / title eliminator fight. Hype cycle repeats.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
His defense against the leg kicks was piss poor, and his offense was lacking the guile he had 4-5 years ago. Like, wtf was up with him trying to box? Where were all the leg kicks? And why was he letting so many leg kicks hit home without checking them?
Agreed, but it isn't a total write off I think yet? Hope he will become a regular again because what he said you just cannot do this part time. But a Connor in form is a good fighter, maybe not the best anymore.. But nice to have in the sport?

But yeah I think today he underestimated his opponent and wanted a quick knock down.. Didn't get it and then had nothing else he could do? It wasn't his best fight I totally agree with you :p

Nov 2, 2017
asking hypothetically.
At some point you have to come to the realization that he isnt what he used to be.
3-3.
I feel people are hoping to see the old Conor and that guy ain't walking through the door anymore in my opinion.
He has the ability to connect and turn lights out like Chuck Liddell but MMA is much more than that as you know. Conor has holes in his game that fighters seemingly are exploiting with ease as time goes on. I don't see improvement I see regression.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Dana really wants that Khabib return, you could tell it's his last big move

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
asking hypothetically.
At some point you have to come to the realization that he isnt what he used to be.
3-3.
I feel people are hoping to see the old Conor and that guy ain't walking through the door anymore in my opinion.
He has the ability to connect and turn lights out like Chuck Liddell but MMA is much more than that as you know. Conor has holes in his game that fighters seemingly are exploiting with ease as time goes on. I don't see improvement I see regression.
100%

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
McGregor has 3 fights since 2016, after previously being a guy who fought 2-3 times a year. It's not really surprising as to where he is at these days.

OP
OP
TheDestructiveSquirrel
Oct 25, 2017
You ever see the video of that amateur wrestler that slightly jumped off the ropes and broke both of his legs (I think they may have been amputated). I get what he's saying.

Oh for sure, it's just funny that he brought it up

I used to watch wrestling all the time and remember lots of injuries or near misses that would have broken a neck or a back or something

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dana & likely the upper execs of ESPN probably regret keeping Conor in the backburner now.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
asking hypothetically.
3-3.

I don't think anyone is arguing that he is what he used to be. He's 33. He's at the end of if not past his athletic prime, like all athletes at that age are regardless of how much coke they did or how inactive they are. But does that make him washed up? No. Does that mean he can't compete for a title? Maybe, but a lot of that depends on the division and if Khabib is done that division is suddenly a lot less scary and suddenly it depends a lot more on how things break a certain way for one fighter over another. I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that he can compete with most of the top guys in the division. At least not yet.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
The only problem is, I don't believe for a second that Conor will be properly active ever again.

If I had to guess, he'll be gone for 8 months and then book a very winnable fight (like he did with Cowboy) for Q4 2021, pick up the W and then talk about 'the King being back' in the post-fight and will ask Dana for a title / title eliminator fight. Hype cycle repeats.

Really depends here, Conor was pretty eager to fight more last year but covid and UFC stuffing him around. If the UFC try to cash cow Conor some more I can see that happening. If they let him fight with the frequency that he wants (he wanted to do 2-3 times last year from memory) and rebuild we'll see him in contention again IMO.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
I agree on some of the points that Conor is not the same as he used to be, but tossing out that he is 3-3 in his last six is a little silly.

Two of the losses are to former champs, and the other was against someone he ended up beating the next time out.

Honestly, I'm not sure where he stands in the division now. He's still a good fighter, but 155 is a tough division.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Really depends here, Conor was pretty eager to fight more last year but covid and UFC stuffing him around. If the UFC try to cash cow Conor some more I can see that happening. If they let him fight with the frequency that he wants (he wanted to do 2-3 times last year from memory) and rebuild we'll see him in contention again IMO.
I really hope to see an active Conor McGregor again. As much as I dislike the man, there was nothing like the regular Mac show. I just have reasonable doubts.
lol Dana hates the back flips off the top of the cage, he thinks someone is going to blow out their ankles and knees
He watched Gaethje almost kill himself, I guess

Nov 2, 2017
he doesnt look like a top contender to me at all.
I would put a fair amount of money on any upcoming fights vs top 3 or 4 in the division.
Maybe he gets it turned around and proves me wrong but I wasnt impressed with his strategy or execution or defense tonight.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
watched the fight, didn't look like dustin even kick his outside leg that much though?