• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
idk why everyone's reaction every time someone who is good loses is "yeah he/she is washed, their weaknesses are exposed, etc."

sometimes you just lose and then you move on and continue to be good

it's like the people who thought Holloway was done because he lost twice to Volk. lol
Exactly. Conor looked like Conor, Dustin beat a good version of Conor.

Conor was landing with ease, he won the first round but Dustin just had a great plan; the accumulated leg damage culminated in a fantastic show of boxing ability to finish the fight.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Oliveira beat everybody that not Khabib or Conor tho
Shame he probably he get the least opportunity for the title because he not marketable

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I mean more to the idea that he's totally washed or something. He's still a good fighter but he's probably entering the circus fight portion of his career, his name still gets people in the door, as opposed to being a title contender, but that really went out the window after Khabib destroyed him. Like it wouldn't shock me if he could still come out and beat a good chunk of the top 10 155ers.

The top 10 right now is Khabib, Gaethe, Poirier, Oliverira, Fergurson, Hooker, RDA, Felder, Ferreira and Al Iaquinta. Honestly the only guys on that list I'd probably say Conor would be a huge dog to right now are Khabib and maybe Oliveria.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
idk why everyone's reaction every time someone who is good loses is "yeah he/she is washed, their weaknesses are exposed, etc."

it's like the people who thought Holloway was done because he lost twice to Volk. lol

Fair point, but the way in which you lose sometimes can make a difference. He got rocked tonight. And he's 3-3 in the last 6.

Also people just hate the guy and want him to retire and be done. Rightfully so, imo.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fair point, but the way in which you lose sometimes can make a difference. He got rocked tonight. And he's 3-3 in the last 6.

Also people just hate the guy and want him to retire and be done. Rightfully so, imo.

He got killed by Nate the first time too and came back and beat him four months later.

I'm not saying he's peak Conor but it's kinda overreactionary to call time of death on his career chances over this. lol

Sep 7, 2020

Yea some folks just love to let everyone kno they love to talk out of their ass

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017

yeah people love saying "x is washed" the second the fighter loses lol

like yes there are some 40+ year olds that should probably stop fighting but not everyone on the roster are trashcans

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I wonder why Mcgregor is being less abrasive in public all of a sudden? It's like he might end up in front of a jury and his pattern of behaviour can be used against him in civil court.

www.nytimes.com

After Criminal Case Ends Without Charges, Conor McGregor Is Sued in Ireland (Published 2021)

The lawsuit for the first time details accusations made by a woman who said McGregor raped her in a Dublin hotel penthouse.

No way, he's just a good guy now. We gotta leave him alone. Let the bigot have his views, throw his tantrums and make millions.

burialsociety

Feb 7, 2018
It's just a weird spot for Conor at the moment because Dustin was his best shot at getting another title shot. The other top five fighters (Gaethje, Chucky, and Chandler) are all tough match ups for him. He still beats everyone outside the top five and he still looks athletically fine, but the top five is just a hornets' nest for him.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Conor's not done. Give him some more fights and he'll obviously be back at it again, but we really did see some holes in his fight game.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a weird spot for Conor at the moment because Dustin was his best shot at getting another title shot. The other top five fighters (Gaethje, Chucky, and Chandler) are all tough match ups for him. He still beats everyone outside the top five and he still looks athletically fine, but the top five is just a hornets' nest for him.

I don't think Gaetje and Chandler are tough matchups for him necessarily. Not that he'd destroy them but it wouldn't surprise me if he beat them.

Nov 2, 2017
it isnt just tonight. dude is past his prime. he's a heavy heavy coke user. he's older and has terribly slow reactions. I dont see him getting younger or faster no matter if he fights 12 times this yr. He will get knocked out again and soon.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
it isnt just tonight. dude is past his prime. he's a heavy heavy coke user. he's older and has terribly slow reactions. I dont see him getting younger or faster no matter if he fights 12 times this yr. He will get knocked out again and soon.

His reactions looked great in the first round, and started to look bad when he suddenly had one less leg to work with. Yes he's 33 and based on his lifestyle, probably past his prime, but that didn't look like it had that much of an effect early on.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Conor vs. Tony makes sense right now. I wouldn't give Conor someone coming off a win after a year of inactivity and then a loss.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
He's certainly not Colby or Masvidal lol

You might also have seen President Trump give a special shout out to not only his good friend, UFC president Dana White, but also Covington, UFC interim lightweight champion Justin Gaethje, retired former double UFC champion Henry Cejudo and "great guy" Ali Abdelaziz, head of Dominance MMA.

mmajunkie.usatoday.com

President Trump's visit to Las Vegas gave the MMA world one mind-blowing photo

The wildest scene involving UFC fighters and President Donald Trump took place behind closed doors.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Loved seeing Connor get walloped tonight, but let's chill on the washed takes until he loses a few more. It's not like we aren't going to see him try to prove he's not.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Idk about that, I think Conor is the worst possible opponent for somebody with no defense like Gaethje

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Always so quick to write off someone who is so big in the sports.. He looked okay first round.. Let's see if he recovers this year

Nov 2, 2017
I am not a Conor hater I just see the writing on the wall and it's very clear to see. He isnt a championship fighter anymore
top 5-6? ok.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
Always so quick to write off someone who is so big in the sports.. He looked okay first round.. Let's see if he recovers this year
His defense against the leg kicks was piss poor, and his offense was lacking the guile he had 4-5 years ago. Like, wtf was up with him trying to box? Where were all the leg kicks? And why was he letting so many leg kicks hit home without checking them?

burialsociety

Feb 7, 2018
Idk about that, I think Conor is the worst possible opponent for somebody with no defense like Gaethje
The thing with Gaethje is he's a durability monster who either needs to be decisioned or stopped late and Conor just isn't that sort of fighter. Plus his defence has come a long way since his early UFC run. There's a chance Conor bonks him early because Conor is that guy but I just don't see it being a likely outcome.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I am not a Conor hater I just see the writing on the wall and it's very clear to see. He isnt a championship fighter anymore
top 5-6? ok.

Depends on who the champion is. If Khabib is really done, and the guys in contention are Gaethje and Chandler, like I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that he can contend. Look at the top 10 of the division. He's probably favored against like 7 or 8 of them.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Conor's far from washed.

The thing that won Dustin the fight was the calf kicks and Conor not checking them. Throughout that entire first round Conor was tagging Dustin well, if this fight was at featherweight like their first bout those shots probably would have ended Poirer.

Give him a few more fights and let him clear the ring rust, Cerrone was a walk in the park. Dustin was his first real challenge back and clearly way too high up the ladder.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Like 90% of time, guys like Conor don't come back to be the same after losses like this. Super confident fighters who once believed they were unbeatable, reached the top of the world, and no longer needed the fight game. Especially if there's drama and outside issues like Conor has. All the signs are there.

He's still a good fighter, but he has some glaring flaws at this point in his career. Chin is probably starting to go too. That Floyd fight definitely didn't help.