• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Rest in peace mate.

I have a (almost) complete collection of the Asterix comics, at least I have the full set of comics from the Goscinny and Uderzo days before Goscinny died. Hilarious even today (though with acknowledgement of some kinda racist depictions of people).

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
Rest in Peace
As for many, Asterix comics were a big part of my childhood. One of my earlier memories is slowly reading the front cover of Asterix and Cleopatra and wondering out loud to my parents "They used beer for this? What is it used for?" I eventually came to conclusion that some light browns were coloured with beer.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
He and René Goscinny was a huge part of my childhood. I know Asterix was never popular in the US (and Japan) but with Tin Tin is by far the most successful european comics ever made. Thanks for everything, RIP.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
A big part of my childhood, qouting the animated movies was as prolific amongst my friends as Simpsons qoutes. I am glad he had a long life.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Oh, that's really sad to hear. I still have a small stack of Asterix books which are the only thing I kept from my father's things after he died because they meant so much to me as a kid. No better time than the present to revisit them.

RIP

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
RIP

Asterix & Obelix (along with Tintin and Suske & Wiske) dominated my childhood. Brilliant comics.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
So sad that both Uderzo nor Goscinny aren't with us anymore :(
May they RIP

Asterix is legendary and history of european and french comics.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I used to love hitting Asterix and Tintin books at my local libraries. One of my bucket list items was to buy the entire set of both the series books. Something that my SO gifted me as an anniversary gift. Huge part of my life, including Mad in that list...

RIP Sir, salute!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Quelle triste nouvelle, par Toutatis!

I grew up with Astérix comics and the early animated movies (up until Le coup du menhir or so), and it was probably one of my favourite piece of media growing up. I devoured those books and re-read them many times.

Hell, as a kid, there was a gameshow here where a single participant would have to answer really difficult and detailed quizzes about a subject. They made two editions for kids, one for Tintin and later one for Astérix, where kids could sign up and participate and the strongest contender would go on to be on the TV show. I actually signed up for the Astérix one and my dad (who was also a fan) helped me practice by writing up questions etc. about the craziest details of trivia from the books. I unfortunately didn't qualify for the first round, failing to answer only 2 questions out of like maybe 50 or so, but I was still proud that I did pretty good. :)

Astérix et Cléopâtre is probably still my favourite. I know all the movie lines by heart.

54b16c23ae78490fc406b0cb.jpg
Oh man
613014940571402261.png

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
This is heartbreaking.

Asterix is one of the best comics of all time, and a part of my childhood.

Rest In Peace.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
In Québec too! At least my generation and older.
i imagine so, Québec is basically europe :p when i was there, particularly in Québec city, i would have no idea I was in another continent tbh. everything like lifestyle, city planning, etc is the same. the culture feels more closely related to europe (although still its own unique identity) than when I was in USA, Australia, etc. Montreal felt the same

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Unbelievable artist, he wasnt close to the writer Goscinny was but I really respect that he tried. Big influence on me personally. RIP

Oct 25, 2017
I remember they finally made a movie not long time ago (It was in French, but with English subtitle btw) and it was so entertained and fun.

My condolence goes to his family & friends.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I grew up reading Asterix and Tintin. These books still remain some of my favourite works of fiction, RIP. :(

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think that is because he was a great artist, but Goscinny was the great writer. You see a steep decline in qualtiy after Goscinny died.

Yep - the comics from the 90s on didn't really carry the charme or have the good storylines that I enjoyed as a kid.

But hey, Asterix & Obelix will always have a big place in my heart from what came before.
I just saw the new game on the eshop too - looks competent from the screens, is it any good?

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Rest in peace to a legend. He and Goscinny brought a lot of laughs to everyone in my family.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I remember they finally made a movie not long time ago (It was in French, but with English subtitle btw) and it was so entertained and fun.

My condolence goes to his family & friends.
Finally? There's 10 animated ones and 4 live action ones, you're missing out! :p
Well, not all of them are good sadly. But some of them are fantastic (Cleopatra, Twelve Tasks and Mission Cleopatra are arguably the best ones).

(it's better in french)

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Asterix and Romeo and Juliet (1968) were the only things that made French class bearable in high school.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally? There's 10 animated ones and 4 live action ones, you're missing out! :p
Well, not all of them are good sadly. But some of them are fantastic (Cleopatra, Twelve Tasks and Mission Cleopatra are arguably the best ones).

(it's better in french)

Oh sorry, I forgot to add a 3D animated movie like this one. But thanks for the list, though.

battousai

Oct 25, 2017
That's sad news, I read most of the series growing up and I recently wanted to revisit them; any good collections to buy out there? I think I looked at getting the omnibuses but some of the earlier ones are out of print

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
RIP to one of the greats. Asterix and Obelix were a big part of my childhood (along with Lucky Luke and Donald Duck)

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Rest in Peace.

Brings me back to late 80s- early 90s when i tried to create a comic collection, the basis of this were the Asterix books. Thank you for all the good moments

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Rest in peace, by Belenos. Saying as a part Breton, he and Goscinny told our story perfectly. They did it as a team of an Italian and a Polish.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Major fan, read all the books.

Was also one of the ways my dad learned French, which allowed him to go to Switzerland to study, avoid a war and dictatorship, which allowed him to come back to his country later with a good degree, meet my mom and make me exist.
I guess I own this man my life.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I didn't see this yesterday.

Sucks man, Asterix was one of the few childhood books/comics that I really enjoy.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Late to reply to this, but I wanted to say my fair share. Asterix comics were a big part of my childhood and still are to this day. I own almost all the comics and read them over and over again, and they never get old. Checking them in order, you see Uderzo's style evolving until it reaches peak and pretty much stays there, showing us thousands of expressive, dynamic drawings that really stick out on every panel. Guy was incredibly skilled with a pencil.

When Goscinny died, and after a couple of posthumous Goscinny-written releases, Uderzo took over the full writing and artwork, and while his scripts weren't on par with Goscinny's best, he definitely did an amazing job carrying the comic all by himself. His stories were definitely memorable, even if a bit on the crazier side (including a story with actual aliens, whose designs were a tribute to classic Disney).

I'm glad to know he lived a long life and managed to die in peace. His works will be forever remembered as one of the comic greats.

By Toutatis, may he rest in peace.

Oct 27, 2017
RIP to an amazing artist. The Asterix books played a big part in my youth and legit taught me a few things about the Roman Empire when I was younger.