• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you put on the subtitles?

• always! I need to know what the hell they are saying

Votes: 1,723 89.8%
  • never!! i was elected to game, not to read

Votes: 124 6.5%
  • whatever... the defaults are there for a reason

Votes: 72 3.8%

• Total voters

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Always off, unless I'm going with a foreign language dub. I don't need subtitles when watching a movie so why do I need them on in a voice acted game? Not to mention most subtitles are tiny and difficult to read anyway.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I usually turn them on, but not because I want to, but because the sound mix is so bad that often it'll be hard to understand what's being said. God of War 4 is one recent example where the sound mix is so good I haven't felt any need to turn them on. No matter how far away characters (mostly Atreus) are from your position, the game keeps their voice volume at an audible level at all times. Really love the attention to detail.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Subtitles are essential in a noisy environment or when late night gaming, and similar situations requiring no audio.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
If it's an RPG or something with tons of NPC/optional dialogue I usually leave them on so I can read & skip at my discretion.

For highly cinematic action games like Uncharted or horror games like REmake 2 I turn them off as they can harm immersion.

exaByte

Banned
Jun 19, 2019
I find subtitles very distracting when a cutscene is playing. Oddly enough, I don't have the same problem for movies.

Oct 27, 2017
I keep them on all the time because my sound system isn't the greatest and I live in an apartment where I can't exactly blast noise either. It can be hard to discern what people are saying depending on the audio mixing.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I have subtitles on in every game. I wish movies had good subtitles like video games. I can never hear dialogue in movies because they talk so low, but the sfx are so loud.

Oct 25, 2017
Used to have them on out of necessity (not a native speaker and used to play with shitty TV sound), but now I'm just too used to them, and it feels weird to not have them on, so I keep them.

I do disable them when replaying games sometimes, though.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dialogue sticks with me better with subtitles on, and sometimes it's actually hard to make out dialogue audio. I usually only do one playthrough with subtitles on. But if the game has a ton of dialogue, like The Witcher or something, they stay on forever.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Almost always I turn it on. Should be on by default. At times they throw 100 names and you're like "who?!"; Subtitle help in those scenarios.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Subtitles on, almost always. Seems rare to find a game where the dialogue is mixed well enough that you can always hear it.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's odd then that I've never felt the need to use subtitles in a game unless I'm playing one with voices in another language.

Personally I just find them really distracting. I find it hard to focus on what's in a scene whenever there are subtitles.

Another problem is that I read faster than people talk, so if I can skip through dialogue like during dialogue trees or when text prompts accompany voice acting, I feel the urge to just skip it when I"m done reading, which makes the audio sound disjointed. This isn't a problem when the voices are in foreign languages though.

Lol, I played AC Unity in French with English Subtitles. Am I hardcore yet?

This is what I did too. My 2nd run through Assassin's Creed II was in Italian.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Subtitles are mandatory in games as far as I am concerned. Especially in games where the player is free to roam around during conversations or when conversations take place during gunfights and the like.

Oct 25, 2017
Almost always I turn it on. Should be on by default. At times they throw 100 names and you're like "who?!"; Subtitle help in those scenarios.
That's actually a very good point. Never understood why people have so much trouble keeping up with the whole "l'Cie and fal'Cie" business in FFXIII, but it's probably harder if you're not actually seeing the words in front of you every time they're mentioned.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even shooters and stuff, like 90% of the time during gameplay the audio mixing and positional audio makes it hard to tell wtf is being said, and I just use subs anyway when possible for anything since sometimes it's hard af to tell what someone said.

John198X

Nov 9, 2018
All games should have optional subtitles, but I have no idea how long it's been since I've played a new game that didn't offer them.
Though, a lot of streaming services for movies/tv don't always have them for all their content, and I find it extremely frustrating and baffling when that happens.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Always on. Sometimes they spoil an important moment, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Fireclad

Oct 27, 2017
The Void
Yeah, always. Always. ALWAYS.

Most gamea I come across have audio mixes that can often make it hard to make out dialogue. That and I largely play at night and my home theater is a quick way to piss off my neighbors!

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Note to industry:

Look at the subtitle implementation in Far Cry New Dawn. Copy.

Note to Platform Holders: Make subtitles mandatory. Thanks.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I depend on subs because modern soundmixing in games is so fucking bad usually.

Voices too low you don't hear shit and without subtitles you wouldn't have even known some conversation was going on just 15 foot away from you, among other things that make having subtitles just a necessity if you want to read all the dialogue without missing something.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Every time. Way too easy to get distracted and miss some dialogue in a game otherwise. Having a decent size TV helps to glance down to read the subtitles but typically ignore them if you're interested in going at the pace of the audio.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Subtitles are always on. This is the greatest accessibility option I always use, and I got great hearing. However, great hearing does not help with bad sound mixing or muffled voices.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I mean... Nice that they're getting numbers to confirm it, I guess, but they do know non-native speakers like to keep them on to not miss anything, right? Of course subtitles are vital lol.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really care for subtitles. I'll always consider using them if Closed Captioning is in-game though. Its almost like having Spidey Sense in something like Left 4 Dead where you can get warnings on special infected ahead of you before you can hear their vocalisations.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
games don't have pause and rewind,
so if I mishear, I can't just push a button and hear it again
I can read good tho'

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I always enable subtitles if the option is there.

I wish movies in theaters played with subtitles by default. I missed dialogue in Endgame the first time seeing it due to morons screaming.

Jun 4, 2019
Good sound mixing and good VA work negates the need for subtitles in cinematic games. I can't imagine how awful it must be to constantly refocus on the bottom part of your screen. Totally ruins immersion.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
I always turn on subtitles, there are so many distractions in games. It helps me process the info when I'm hearing it & reading it.