• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
you don't find it genuinely concerning that a console yet to be released is pushing games out that run at sub-2007 tv resolutions?

I'm not saying that. I'm saying it's a ridiculous expectation for a console that costs £250 to output at 1440p 60FPS with RT on, in every game which is what people seen to expect in all these threads.

Like, what console in history has ever done its max resolution output in every game? Not even the Series X or PS5 is doing that.

Don't get me wrong, it's fine to have a discussion about it but people jumping until threads like "lol waste of money" or "guess it's a 900b box!" or whatever off tiny bits of information is annoying.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DF:

source.gif

It looks like he is butt naked.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Are you serious? That ML hardware is not dedicated, if you want to use GPU for ML your graphics resources take a hit.

Not sure what you are trying to imply here? Both Series X/S have dedicated ML hardware, Microsoft explicitly stated this in relation to Super Resolution in a recent article on using the full RDNA2 featureset for the consoles.
Through close collaboration and partnership between Xbox and AMD, not only have we delivered on this promise, we have gone even further introducing additional next-generation innovation such as hardware accelerated Machine Learning capabilities for better NPC intelligence, more lifelike animation, and improved visual quality via techniques such as ML powered super resolution

The whole point of having dedicated hardware is to minimize performance penalties. If you were talking about PS5, which seemingly doesn't have dedicated machine learning hardware, sure, the performance performance penalty could be greater.

Also, to our understanding the point of Super Resolution (just like DLSS), is to use machine learning to reconstruct an image that is significantly higher resolution than the base image. It's entirely feasible that developers could lower the internal resolution on Series S as low as 720p 60fps and reconstruct that up 1440p 60. I'd say this might even be the perfect scenario, assuming Super Resolution can achieve results similar to DLSS.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Oh thanks for the clarification. Personally I prefer the look of the linear filtering to the bicubic one (ideally the second highest option). The former to me looks smoother and less edgy if that makes sense. And even though the reflections cut off is lower than the highest setting, for me the difference is barely noticeable, and extra performance and smoother looking reflections (even if slightly softer) is preferable imo.
In the end I too prefer the linear filtering in a pure mirror surface.
The Mode differences were curious in watch dogs. It primarily changed the bvh size and the type of objects added, (high missing particles, and Medium missing particles and decals). It did not change roughness cut off between the setting actually (dev source here), but instead would reduce the ray length based on surface roughness a bit. So the roughness cut off is the same on PC at least, but the chance for a distant object to Show up on a rough surface is lower on high and Medium. With the roughness cut off the same between modes - a closer object will still Show up all the same across all of the RT modes: ultra, Medium and high. Just more distant objects might not Show. Roughness cut off changes would mean that roigher surface has no chance of a reflection at all, regardless of how close the reflection object may be.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Are we sure the WD footage in the "Inside Xbox Series S" presentation had RT?

If it has, than 1080p (even dynamic) is perfectly reasonable to me. A cross gen game (people forget how unoptimised cross gen games are), open world with RT on a $300 machine? C'mon, back at the "Lockhart" rumor days people would think this impossible.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Do people really think that the 23 studios Microsoft now own will not max out the potential of both Xbox Series consoles? If Microsoft calls it a 1440p console, you can bet the next Fallout will run at 1440p on the XSS. Judging how games perform today is not a proper representation of what any next generation console is capable of once software is properly optimized.

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the Series X version running mostly at 1440P? Depending how well game performance scales on different RDNA2 chips, it should be expected that the Series S version will be 3-4 times lower resolution.

Like every other game in the next few months, it'll all be revealed once it's released.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Ubisoft is really nice for saying what the difference might be, but them saying "only experts can tell" is hogwash. It reads like trying to avoid hurting anyone's feelings (and why is that even necessary?).

It won't be or look the same across all platforms if the roughness threshhold or internal resolution is different like they say here - that would change the amount of the world objects that have RT applied to them, and thus be visible in side-by-sides for even non-experts. And resolution, like always, has obvious effects on clarity.

If graphics settings or resolution did not matter, why even have better reflections or resolution on any platform then? A silly thing to say.
It's a start of a new gen and yes you are correct, they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Probably why they insist their games are not political either.

This next gen about to happen feels so odd compared to how the current gen started.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
I just watched the DF comparison video, and looks like PS4 Pro is the lead platform? I thought that MS bought the marketing rights for this game

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Next gen didn't even start yet and there's already a struggle with Ray tracing. Throw the whole shit out the window. Its gonna get worst from here cause this is just a cross gen game.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Read, OP thread title...

Came in with questions...

Then read what was actually said in the Ubisoft quote:

...why do OP's decide to sometimes change the language used in thread titles when there is no need?
I don't get it either. Mods should change the title.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I just watched the DF comparison video, and looks like PS4 Pro is the lead platform? I thought that MS bought the marketing rights for this game
There's much more PS4's out there so makes sense to polish that version first as it's the version more people will play.

Additionally we know that MS moved from an Xbox specific SDK to a PC + Xbox SDK which came in rather late. If they attempted to use that for this game that would likely increase delays and add challenge to polish being done in a timely manner. No evidence they did use this new SDK btw, just throwing it out there as something that would impact if used.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Did we ever get confirmation that the next gen patches will be out on launch day?

I've seen a late November date (I think for the PS5 disc version) and I remember seeing a December date at one point

Edit: It looks like it releases on Series X on November 10 and release on PS5 November 24..... maybe
Both Series X|S and PS5 versions will be going live on their respective launch days, the PS5 physical release of the game is delayed until November 24th.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
The whole point of the series S is to be able to ship 1080p next gen games. An amazing level of optimization shouldn't be expected for a cross gen open world gamewith RT that was shipped for 8 freaking platforms and reading into the consoles future on this game alone is absurd

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Next gen didn't even start yet and there's already a struggle with Ray tracing. Throw the whole shit out the window. Its gonna get worst from here cause this is just a cross gen game.
Is this your first generation? In what world did visual effects ever got worse over the course of a generation?! As developers learn to optimize better for those consoles and get more experienced better results will come.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It will be interesting to see how big or small the differences really are at normal viewing distance, when not zooming in and analysing all the small details up close.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Series X reflections look similar to how the reflections look when you run the game on PC at 1440P with DLSS set to quality (which means reflection is half of the original pre DLSS resolution, which would put reflections around 720P). Whereas the 4K version on PC would have ~1440P reflections.

The PC version also has a lower roughness cut off compared to Series X as you can see in the video, and the dev said so in the article. In essence he is correct in that it is "the same tech" but there are differences which is noticeable when viewed side by side even when you aren't an expert. But on its own it's good enough and frankly quite impressive.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Is this your first generation? In what world did visual effects ever got worse over the course of a generation?! As developers learn to optimize better for those consoles and get more experienced better results will come.
Visual? I'm speaking of performance, guy. Im speaking of the use of ray tracing going forward.

Oct 30, 2017
They should have made the XSS 349$ and a bit more powerful GPU wise...
Maybe.

Not sure if it matters, but it's kind of a poor proposition in comparison to the PS5 DE at $50 dollars cheaper. Unless you're dead set on using Gamepass.
But a digital only 6-8 TF machine at 512gb at $350 would perhaps be more future proof. But Idk how the value stacks up.

LasagnaForOne

Oct 27, 2017
Series X reflections look similar to how the reflections look when you run the game on PC at 1440P with DLSS set to quality (which means reflection is half of the original pre DLSS resolution, which would put reflections around 720P). Whereas the 4K version on PC would have ~1440P reflections.

The PC version also has a lower roughness cut off compared to Series X as you can see in the video, and the dev said so in the article. In essence he is correct in that it is "the same tech" but there are differences which is noticeable when viewed side by side even when you aren't an expert. But on its own it's good enough and frankly quite impressive.

Yeah they do seem just ever so slightly lower quality. To be honest without seeing them side by side I couldn't tell the difference one bit and think both versions look great. Things can only get better as the generation moves out of its infancy.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they do seem just ever so slightly lower quality. To be honest without seeing them side by side I couldn't tell the difference one bit and think both versions look great. Things can only get better as the generation moves out of its infancy.
Yea on its own it's good enough and doesn't feel like you're getting anything worse.
You basically need a side by side comparison to see the difference. Plus I played on PC at 1440P with DLSS set to quality and I thought the 720P reflections looked fine.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Night time ray-tracing is not kind to Series X(and presumably PS5) compared to that 3080 footage. Daytime looks comparable, but something about the nighttime. It almost looks like it's the texture quality of the ground lending the PC version more realism, but I have to assume the ray-tracing itself must be different, too? I don't know. Is it possible the Series X footage is more compressed than the PC footage in the video on this page? Maybe that could be why the texture quality on the ground looks so much worse on the Series X.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
XBOX series S looks like it's getting multiple 1080p games already.

Multiple sub 1080p games... There is no way this thing was ever going to be a 1400p machine for anything but a tiny minority of games.

Personally I initially looked at an XSS as a second console to PS5 to get in on the gamepass goodness and MS exclusives. But the machine is too compromised, you're far better off getting an XSX, or even streaming from xCloud in the future which will likely have better resolution and performance at the expense of some latency.

I'm waiting for now, and if xCloud comes to Android TV can subscribe to that if needed, if not might get an XSX at some point down the road.

Dec 4, 2017
London
Microsoft showed Series S footage with Ray tracing in the Inside Series S trailer.

Series S Watch Dogs Legion RT footage @ 7:36
m.youtube.com

Inside the Xbox Series S

Learn about the tech behind the Xbox Series S as well as some small glimpses of gameplay.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the reflections maintain integrity if they are indeed utilising raytracing.

It's a tiny fragment of footage but zooming into the puddles the reflections break down as the NPC's arm moves in front of them - that's screen space reflection, no?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the reflections maintain integrity if they are indeed utilising raytracing.

It's a tiny fragment of footage but zooming into the puddles the reflections break down as the NPC's arm moves in front of them - that's screen space reflection, no?

Yes, they use screen space as well. Dictator's PC breakdown on the DF YouTube video explains when each technique is used. (I can barely understand what he's saying here, but I like to pretend it'd make sense if I just spent an extra 5 minutes thinking about it that I will never get around to doing).

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Ehhhh, when I look at the differences of the current PC RT settings then this is quite a lot more than "only expert will be able to spot that".

The person who wrote that probably also believes nobody sees a difference between 1080p and 4K or Xbox One and Xbox One X improvements.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I think RT has been way oversold for these consoles. We should expect limited RT throughtout the gen. The only thing expected to change will be that developers will likely get better at "picking their spots" to make the effect most effective.