• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, I am sure this will be noticeable outside my coverage. The level of surface microfacets/Stochastic sampling, BVH Contents and even resolution will show up.

Whether people 'care' is another question entirely.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given how underwhelming RTX right now man it would be funny if Xbox One X perform and looks better than Series S due to RT affecting the performance significantly lol

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Read, OP thread title...

Came in with questions...

Then read what was actually said in the Ubisoft quote:

...why do OP's decide to sometimes change the language used in thread titles when there is no need?
His quote starts with:
The fundamentals of the ray-tracing are the same across all platforms that support it.
The title is not saying that Ray Tracing will look the same across platforms, it is saying that Ray Tracing will be the same, RT has several applications and they could change for optimization's sake, in this case it could be the on XSS, but they won't, fortunely.

And sorry for the slow reply or any typos, I am on my phone.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DF is like.

giphy.gif

Nah, Digital Foundry's own tests with the PC version show the same. Hell, I actually preferred "high" RT setting compared to "ultra" or whatever it was labelled. High RT reflections had fewer jaggies and looked smoother, though the reflections were at a lower resolution and less performance hogging.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
His quote starts with:

The title is not saying that Ray Tracing will look the same across platforms, it is saying that Ray Tracing will be the same, RT has several applications and they could change for optimization's sake, in this case it could be the on XSS, but they won't, fortunely.

And sorry for the slow reply or any typos, I am on my phone.
Totally hear what you're saying OP but your title reads like you're saying it looks the same and doesn't reflect the actual quote.

My house and your house share the same building fundamentals, I guarantee you they look different.

Tmonster

Oct 28, 2017
This is good, I was worried with it being marketed as a 1440p machine that devs would nerf the more powerful platforms for it. As games get more demanding Series X should be allowed to drop to 1080p and that means sub 720p for the S.

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
I'll wait and see the hands-on reviews, but that whole 'Series S is just Series X at 1080p' is really not true... but I guess that was expected since the specs were released.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Given how underwhelming RTX right now man it would be funny if Xbox One X perform and looks better than Series S due to RT affecting the performance significantly lol

You expect the console with the dramatically worse CPU to perform better?
also, we've seen a video of ray tracing in this game. It's not underwhelming. Not one bit.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft is really nice for saying what the difference might be, but them saying "only experts can tell" is hogwash. It reads like trying to avoid hurting anyone's feelings (and why is that even necessary?).

It won't be or look the same across all platforms if the roughness threshhold or internal resolution is different like they say here - that would change the amount of the world objects that have RT applied to them, and thus be visible in side-by-sides for even non-experts. And resolution, like always, has obvious effects on clarity.

If graphics settings or resolution did not matter, why even have better reflections or resolution on any platform then? A silly thing to say.

Agree. tbh while they may reduce reflections on rough objects, in your video it was often those rough objects that helped provide 'grounding' to the graphics. arguably more interesting to me than the polished reflections which you can at least partially fake with SSR (and which they do as well)

My biggest yikes is the XSS being a 'max' target of 1080p. which assumes being dynamic res it will drop below that resolution during more demanding areas. That feels borderline unacceptable to me. I'd rather they set a 1080p baseline and adjust settings as needed to hit that. Even if it means skipping RT or some other effects. There is a huge difference between dynamic 4k perhaps dropping to 1440p, and dynamic 1080p (possibly dropping to 720p??)

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You expect the console with the dramatically worse CPU to perform better?
also, we've seen a video of ray tracing in this game. It's not underwhelming. Not one bit.
Eh it really is underwhelming given how taxing it is to perfomance, there's a chance X might run better due to not having RT.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Did we ever get confirmation that the next gen patches will be out on launch day?

I've seen a late November date (I think for the PS5 disc version) and I remember seeing a December date at one point

Edit: It looks like it releases on Series X on November 10 and release on PS5 November 24..... maybe

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Nah, Digital Foundry's own tests with the PC version show the same. Hell, I actually preferred "high" RT setting compared to "ultra" or whatever it was labelled. High RT reflections had fewer jaggies and looked smoother, though the reflections were at a lower resolution and less performance hogging.
Just as a note: the difference in clarity between the modes on PC FROM ultra to Medium was not internal resolution (they all ran nearly the same between the settings, if resolution would be changing there would have been big performance differences between them). There was no res change there. Rather the filtering method changed from Bicubic (ultra sharp) to lessened levels of linear filtering on high and Medium. A res difference would not produce a scenario I think where lower res does that.

Source here is the developers.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Exactly. Should've just called it a 1080p/60 box.

Use case on a 1440p monitor is going to be minimal

Not necissarily. The Series S also apparently has very capable machine learning hardware. It's probably only a matter of time before AMD's Super Resolution is used to consistently get games at 1440p, maybe even 1440p 60 with Ray Tracing, but we have yet to see how good this feature turns out.

This is 1080p with Ray Tracing, quite respectable considering the GPU in this box. We also have numerous games at 1440p and above on Series S, like Gears 5, all enhanced X360 and OG Xbox games, probably almost every 1st party MS game, Dirt 5 etc.

But let's be honest, this consoles main purpose is for people stuck on a 1080p TV who don't want, need, or care about 4k, not for the pixel counters.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
The standard for a next gen launch, it always happens, don't sweat it

Series S will show itself up in next gen games, if devs implement sampler feedback and take full advantage of the GPU it's going to do a lot more than this.

Take Battlefield 4 for example, it ran at 720p on the Xbox one. Battlefield 1 also ran at 720p but it looked a generation better than the former.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Is there gonna be this show and dance every time a Series S game isn't native 1440p, 60fps with RT?

Concern trolling is annoying as fuck.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just as a note: the difference in clarity between the modes on PC FROM ultra to Medium was not internal resolution (they all ran nearly the same between the settings, if resolution would be changing there would have been big performance differences between them). There was no res change there. Rather the filtering method changed from Bicubic (ultra sharp) to lessened levels of linear filtering on high and Medium. A res difference would not produce a scenario I think where lower res does that.

Source here is the developers.

Oh thanks for the clarification. Personally I prefer the look of the linear filtering to the bicubic one (ideally the second highest option). The former to me looks smoother and less edgy if that makes sense. And even though the reflections cut off is lower than the highest setting, for me the difference is barely noticeable, and extra performance and smoother looking reflections (even if slightly softer) is preferable imo.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I'm not concerned by now. This game is releasing in like... 9 platforms? Ico on PS2 was sub-240p. Xbox One got lots of 720p on the first years as well. Things will get better as cross-gen ends and the games can be fully optimized for XSS, XSX and PS5.

one

Nov 30, 2017
The Series S also apparently has very capable machine learning hardware. It's probably only a matter of time before AMD's Super Resolution is used to consistently get games at 1440p, maybe even 1440p 60 with Ray Tracing, but we have yet to see how good this feature turns out.
Are you serious? That ML hardware is not dedicated, if you want to use GPU for ML your graphics resources take a hit.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the series S is on any kind of trouble until actual game design is affected.

Folks screaming about the drop in resolution just sound like they'll latch onto any resolution that isn't 1440p and be extra negative. Lame stuff since its using ray tracing at the start and that is considered computationally expensive.