• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Source is Wccftech:
https://wccftech.com/xbox-series-s-...rt-is-slightly-better-on-pc-than-on-consoles/
...we were able to receive extra tidbits of information from Galvin Whitlock, Lead Programmer at Ubisoft, such as the target resolution for the game on Microsoft's smaller, cheaper, and less powerful next-gen console.

The Highest target resolution on Xbox Series S for Watch Dogs: Legion will be 1080p (dynamic).

We also inquired as to the different implementations of ray-traced reflections across PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X. PC has a slight advantage.

"The fundamentals of the ray-tracing are the same across all platforms that support it. For RTX on PC, we do ray-tracing for rougher surfaces in more situations. Ray-tracing relies on a simplified version of the world that we trace rays into. This has been optimised individually for each platform to maximise the number of rays we can process. Overall, the look is similar on all platforms supporting ray-tracing, but side-by-side, only experts will be able to spot differences"

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
I'm shocked said no one ever. They have basically the same Ray tracing hardware, there was never going to be any difference for it (on consoles that is).

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Overall, the look is similar on all platforms supporting ray-tracing, but side-by-side, only experts will be able to spot differences"

DF is like.

giphy.gif

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
God I am no looking forward to "the tree in the window on console Y has one extra raytraced branch"

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
ray tracing is likely really low resolution on the S if the reflections are half or quarter res

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I'm an idiot for thinking games could hit 1440p on Xbox Series S.
Not an idiot as such, because that's what the marketing said, but I bought one fully knowing it was the most bullshit statement put out by any platform holder in the lead up to the new gen, and had fuck all place being on a spec sheet of hard facts.

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty will. This game is extremely demanding on PC as well. Whatever the box says, devs will always make the choices they think work best for their game. Don't put too much weight on any one game when extrapolating what you'll see out of the S this generation.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By all accounts, Watch Dogs is a demanding game on current gen systems so this doesn't terribly surprise me.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
They can. We've already seen that.
So I know the Series S is technically capable of 1440p but where did the expectation come from? Before it was officially unveiled, I thought "Lockhart" was understood to be the 1080p version of the Series X.
You're right, but then it was officially revealed and MS started calling it a 1440p console. I suppose it's the same way the One is a 1080p console. It's capable but it's not always going to hit that.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
DF threads are either going to be incredibly and shockingly docile and subdued or absolute bloodbaths. I'm just hoping the PS5 version holds up well enough so I don't feel tempted to double dip on the Series X version.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Ubisoft is really nice for saying what the difference might be, but them saying "only experts can tell" is hogwash. It reads like trying to avoid hurting anyone's feelings (and why is that even necessary?).

It won't be or look the same across all platforms if the roughness threshhold or internal resolution is different like they say here - that would change the amount of the world objects that have RT applied to them, and thus be visible in side-by-sides for even non-experts. And resolution, like always, has obvious effects on clarity.

If graphics settings or resolution did not matter, why even have better reflections or resolution on any platform then? A silly thing to say.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Ubisoft is really nice for saying what the difference might be, but them saying "only experts can tell" is hogwash.

It won't be or look the same across all platforms if the roughness threshhold or internal resolution is different like they say here - that would change the amount of the world objects that have RT applied to them, and thus be visible in side-by-sides for even non-experts.

If graphics settings did not matter, why even have better reflections on PC then? A silly thing to say.
I suppose it's to not step on any toes really. I don't think I'd ever be able to play PR lol

I look forward to the comparisons your team will be making on this!

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Read, OP thread title...
Ray-tracing will be the same across platforms, side by side "Only experts will be able to spot differences"

Came in with questions...

Then read what was actually said in the Ubisoft quote:
Overall, the look is similar on all platforms supporting ray-tracing, but side-by-side, only experts will be able to spot differences"

...why do OP's decide to sometimes change the language used in thread titles when there is no need?