• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how trash Sony is with legacy support.

To this day I do not understand why you can't even buy PS1 classics on the PS4.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still hopeful that Sony will introduce some form of backwards compatibility for PS1, PS2 and PS3 titles in the future.
Even if it isn't there at launch, the dream never dies.

mRtYUUn.gif

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Will probably get the Digital Edition then assuming it's $100 cheaper. Was only going to use the disc drive for older BC games.

Same here. I have no interest in discs for PS4/PS5, but would have used it for BC. If there is no PS1-3 BC, then I probably won't bother getting the disc version (unless there are other differences that may be relevant)

Oct 30, 2017
what about the last seven years of PS2/3 remakes and remasters made people think for a second they were gonna do PS1/2/3 emulation? Like explain the logic of that to me
I don't think the opportunities of PS2/PS3 remasters going into the PS5 era is the reason for no BC. But rather, there is little desire and incentive to do this.
If the PS4 was highly successful without this, then the PS5 needs this feature even less as those games continue to lose relevance.

Yes Sony will continue to remaster and remake games they want to revitalize. But really, this is just something they don't see worth their time.

Oct 29, 2017
The thing Sony would think about is if they could tell real copies apart from burned discs at this point in time.Can't force some firmware requirements on them like most games now. Of course reselling old stuff is making money for them, but letting burned discs be able to play on it, it would be something like a homebrew system which i don't imagine Sony cares about letting people do.

Even without any support for discs, just being able to play the existing library of PS1 games that are for sale right now on PSN would be huge.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
That blows (if true). I can play PS1 and PS3 games no problem, but the issue is that I still have no easy way of playing my PS2 collection. Was hoping the PS5 would amend that situation, but if not then Sony needs to get its thumb out of its butt where backwards compatibility is concerned.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
To an extent, fair enough on PS2/PS1, that can be done if resources were put into it but Ps3? C'mon bruh

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
That's extremely disappointing, especially since Microsoft is doing BC almost perfectly, wake up Soony.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
PC has been backwards compatible since the dawn of man and Xbox and PC are basically the same now. What does that have to do with Sony PlayStation?
Publishers can and do still sell remasters on platforms that have BC. Xbox just added BC a few years ago. I'm not sure where the disconnect is coming from. Sony adding BC wouldn't necessarily stop publishers from selling remasters. Also, good BC means publishers don't even have to pay to have good remasters made, they just repackage the games.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
User Banned (1 Day): Platform Waring; Microsoft has plenty of first party games
The Xbox Series X is doing boosted resolution and frame rate doubling for some backwards compatible titles, and that is just being done by the backwards compatibility team and not the individual publishers. The Series X will also have a system level HDR feature for backwards compatible games, again with no publisher approval.
That's a choice made by Xbox to counter the lack of 1st party releases they will have in the first year. Nothing wrong with that.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surely, the plan is to just put all the stuff on the cloud anyway? So, it might not matter in the long run.

Nov 1, 2017
Publishers can and do still sell remasters on platforms that have BC. Xbox just added BC a few years ago. I'm not sure where the disconnect is coming from. Sony adding BC wouldn't necessarily stop publishers from selling remasters. Also, good BC means publishers don't even have to pay to have good remasters made, they just repackage the games.
It happens on PC too albeit to a smaller extent. Plenty of games that have a serviceable version on PC still got the HD/Remaster treatment and did relatively well.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
This sounds like Ubisoft just repeating the information that's already out there.

I'm still hopeful that Sony will introduce some form of backwards compatibility for PS1, PS2 and PS3 titles in the future.
Even if it isn't there at launch, the dream never dies.

I hope the console sells under expectations, which wouldn't be surprising in the current climate anyway. Poor sales is the only thing that gets console publishers be consumer friendly and add features like this later on.

Last edited:

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
This was expected for PS3/2/1. So no big surprise here.

but did Ubi confirmed that trophies earned will follow up if you upgrade ? If you start valhalla on PS4, are you going to lose everything when finishing it on PS5 ?

I just checked the same page for Series X, and it's clearly written :

Achievements earned on Xbox One versions of supported games will be transferable to Xbox Series X.

This part is clearly not in the PS4 to PS5 page...

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
As expected. I said this before quite some time ago, but I fully believe the PS5 only has PS4 backwards compatibility because Sony feels forced to do so in response to Microsoft's backwards compatibility efforts. I'm 100% convinced that if Microsoft didn't do all their backwards compatibility stuff that the PS5 also wouldn't have PS4 BC.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Jim Ryan 2017:

"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," said Ryan.

"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

JimRyan.gif

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Even without any support for discs, just being able to play the existing library of PS1 games that are for sale right now on PSN would be huge.
Shafting the PS1/PS2 classics on PSN would be more wack than not supporting discs, unless they plan to let all online titles be playable via PSNow. There's no excuse to let their online library rot since they can control it.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
The bad part is that they probably lost 0.1% of sales.

The good part is that their OS dev team is focused on more important things.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Simple reason is: people don't care about these games. Why do you think they stoped with PS2 classics?
They stopped with PS2 games on PS4 because they were poorly emulated and expensive, so of course sales were poor. Rockstar was one of the only publishers outside of Sony really supporting it in the beginning anyway.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not necessarily surprising but I also don't think this is exactly the deconfrimation that some say it is. Until we hear directly from Sony I don't think you can automaticallly say that it's never going to happen.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
Jim Ryan 2017:

"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," said Ryan.

"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

JimRyan.gif

Sony run by a man who has no respect for the medium. Great!

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is not a false narrative, it's just their choice to maximize gaming offers. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with that.
You literally made up that the reason they've invested in backwards compatibility is to "counter the lack of 1st party releases they will have in the first year." Embarrassing.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Sony doesn't give a shit about preserving old games. The Ps5 is capable of emulating Ps3 games.

It's them saying to go buy an Xbox or PC if you care about playing old games.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Luckily sony has a product for those who want to play old games, it called ps3 fat!

But seriously, this was expected. Maybe they can do some stuff with ps now.