• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
On the Ubisoft site, the line about multiplayer looks like it's a separate paragraph from the one about PS4 and PS1-3 BC. They're mentioning 1-3 because it's about Ubisoft games in general.
Go to the link yourself. The question being answered by Ubisoft is solely about PS4 BC on the PS5. Their answer is a single, complete response to that question. There is no logical reason to even mention PS1-PS3 in that context unless it was to make clear that while some PS4 BC games will support online support on the PS5, none of the PS1-PS3 BC games will support it.

Jun 12, 2018
meh. Would be nice but you gotta ask yourself how much it would be used by the general public. Sure we on this forum would love it but we are a super small group. Though I imagine PS1 wouldn't be too hard to pull off but who knows.
People love to say that they want backwards compatibility but when the day comes and it actually comes out, I bet you 1% of people will actually use it. People just want to demand things be given to them and the second they get it, they lose interest completely and beg for another feature.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm amazed that people actually expected this. It's something that will have literally zero impact on sales.

I can also see them adding it a year or two down the line.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
::sigh:: Pretty disappointing. PS2 has so many gems that I'd love to play with higher res. Yea I know I can do that on PC, but it would be nice if it would just be supported out of the box on PS5.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not only does it not support PS1 and PS2, but only ''supported'' PS4 titles as well? At the very least it should have full BC for every single PS4 game released.

Looks like another generation where Sony is way behind with backward compatibility.
Xbox only supports "supported" titles as well. No console is 100% on their back titles.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why PS1 and PS2 can't be supported. I'm not gonna act like this doesn't suck because I would really like to play my digital Ps1 games I bought for my vita and PS3.
I'd have to wonder how they'd do copy protection since people figured those systems out completely, modern games require firmware updates or the game won't play and you can't really do that with old discs. They'd have to let it rock with burned discs but they don't wanna figure out new ways to sniff out copy protection for old games that can't be online so they probablly don't wanna bother. PS3 emulation is still spotty unless the emu-team focuses on specific games on PC, but PS1 and PS2 have no technical barrier just the question on how they would tell pirated copies appart now.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
It's obvious (if this is true across the PS5) that Sony simply does not care about BC in general.
PS3 I understand why it would never happen. But PS1 and PS2 are *choices* Sony is making not to support.
There are emulators for both out there and Sony has already done it themselves before.
I think this is one huge area MS can draw a sharp distinction with Sony on, and they should capitalize on it.
My shelf of PS1, 2, and 3 games sits in my room gathering dust, while I'm able to play a lot of my 360 games, with upgrades,
on the MS machines. I do care about BC, so it's a big deal to me.
I'll still get both consoles eventually for next gen, but this is a very, very disappointing move for Sony imo.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Sony has only ever expressed interest in supporting PS4 games going forward, but I can't think of a better way to celebrate the PS2's 20th anniversary this year than supporting PS2 games on PS5. I'm not as concerned with PS1 games since I have my PS3, Vita, and PS1 for that, and I don't see PS3 backwards compatibility happening, but I'd be pleased to have any legacy PlayStation support in the future.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
the thing that is frustrating is they have a damn treasure trove of PS1 games already sitting on psn ready to be sold, if they would just put a fucking emulator on the PS4 and 5

and I've thought about maybe the licensing deals with those publishers only listed PS3/psp/Vita and they would need to do all new deals but...PS1 classics were a thing long before the Vita came out. which means the licensing terms should allow new consoles to buy the games off of psn, no?

I fucking doubt Sony went through the trouble of relicensing every single PS1 classic for the Vita

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
the PS1 is definitely not difficult to emulate lol
box9KMy.png

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but... Isn't there a PS3 emulator out there? I find it hard to believe that in 2020, Sony still can't figure it out.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Ubisoft is making a general outline for their games.

As in Ubisoft titles from PS3,PS2,PS1 won't be supported. Lets say Sony introduces BC and PS1 Rayman don't work...well they clearly told you it wasn't supported. Ask Sony instead. Thats what I'm getting.

I dont have hopes of any BC modes other than ps4 at this point. Its clear Sony is not doing what MS is doing. Still this posting from Ubisoft is not really a confirmation for Sony. Not saying to keep the dream alive either. BC is likely not gonna even be brought up by Sony lol.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Fine by me, I'd rather have remasters if they're not gonna work on emulating these games with improvements anyway. PS4 BC is what I'm looking for mostly.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Or Ubisoft simply won't support it.

This was expected to be fair.
If I have any "real" takeaway, it's this and specific to Ubisoft titles in regarding support. The XSX FAQ that is even linked in this one regarding BC on it doesn't make any mention of OG or 360, yet we "know" what is currently working on the One will work on the X Series. Why was the PS5 FAQ singling that one particular aspect out?

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
As everybody is saying: expected, but this doesn´t make it less disappointing.

Xbox still is miles ahead in this aspect.

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
No respect for their history. PS1 and PS2 should be table stakes here but Jim Ryan is gonna Jim Ryan.

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like Ubisoft just repeating the information that's already out there.

I'm still hopeful that Sony will introduce some form of backwards compatibility for PS1, PS2 and PS3 titles in the future.
Even if it isn't there at launch, the dream never dies.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
It's obscenely difficult to emulate without a disc drive that can read CDs
Sony's the only company to make a blu-ray drive that supposedly can't read CDs, so they're obviously doing it on purpose so people think they have an excuse for not having PS1 BC. Fun fact: If you look in your PS4 manual, you'll find it discloses the fact it has a CD frequency laser so they're not even saving money on removing it. They're just blocking CD reading.

Go to the link yourself. The question being answered by Ubisoft is solely about PS4 BC on the PS5. Their answer is a single, complete response to that question. There is no logical reason to even mention PS1-PS3 in that context unless it was to make clear that while some PS4 BC games will support online support on the PS5, none of the PS1-PS3 BC games will support it.
That's a super generous reading of that page, but it's not impossible. At least with it on Ubisoft's site hopefully a journalist will actually ask Sony about it and get a response.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was really looking forward to PS3 emulation, but this one wouldn't happen anyway I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
I assume this also includes PS2 on PS4 titles? Cause that would be really lame if so.

Hopefully Sony is working on the back compability with the older systems.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I fucking doubt Sony went through the trouble of relicensing every single PS1 classic for the Vita
They re-licensed. That's one of the reasons why fewer PSone games were available on Vita (and why those available games differ by region, even though we know they're all compatible thanks to the time that Sony's whitelist temporarily broke).

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Slim isn't PS2 compatible, only the original fat models that included a PS2 chip.

It is compatible. Software emulation is doable on Slim (I think super slim is the only one that doesnt work). My fat PS3 doesn't have the emotion engine, and yet once I homebrewed it, I could play tons of PS2 games (YMMV)

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Can the PS5 hardware capable enough to handle something like how PC has the RPCS3 emulator thing to run PS3 games?

I would have to imagine it would be, especially with Sony having in-house documentation on how the PS3 works. The PS5 is more powerful than some of the PCs that are running the PS3 emulator, right? Seeing what enthusiastic (and talented) people were able to build with RPCS3, I think Sony could have had a nice official solution. But I'm also not a software developer so I'm talking completely unapologetically out of my ass.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Just a question...but how would PSOne and PS2 games look on a 4k TV?
Is this seriously something easy to achieve while maintaining those games playable?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Would have liked it, never really expected it

though clearly there's a secret UMD drive in there for PSP support. Clearly.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Now i'm curious how good is actually their BC with PS4 games. Expecting no visual improvements tbh. Just the bare minimum.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
It is compatible. Software emulation is doable on Slim (I think super slim is the only one that doesnt work). My fat PS3 doesn't have the emotion engine, and yet once I homebrewed it, I could play tons of PS2 games (YMMV)
Yep. There's software out there that can turn any PS2 game into a "PS2 Classic," and most of them are fully playable and run very well. Only a select few don't work or have major issues.

Oct 30, 2017
It's obvious (if this is true across the PS5) that Sony simply does not care about BC in general.
I don't think this is true. It's not clear the degree of effort and costs it will take to make this run on the PS5. Everything is a trade off. But to say they don't care would not really be true.

The PS2, PS3, and Vita, and now PS5 all made significant efforts to offer some degree of backward compatibility.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Just a question...but how would PSOne and PS2 games look on a 4k TV?
Is this seriously something easy to achieve while maintaining those games playable?
They look poor (PSone especially, a lot of PS2 games still look reasonably okay), but they're playable. Especially so for 2D games - lots of PSone 2D games would not look significantly worse on an emulator than any of the many games available through classic compilations.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but... Isn't there a PS3 emulator out there? I find it hard to believe that in 2020, Sony still can't figure it out.
There is, but PS3 is still very hard to emulate, about over 50% of titles are unable to work properly and generally need beefy rigs to work smoothly.
This isnt something sony can "figure out" emulation is very hard. Heck only in the recent years have PS2 games been mostly working so good that you can run them with higher resolutions and fancy shaders and AA options and still for PS2 the compatibility in emulation is still not 100% of all titles.

the Cell processor is incredibly hard to emulate.